Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Comments (Page 2,737)

Showing posts 54,721 - 54,740 of68,114
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60783
Oct 17, 2013
 
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
You can stick to Walmart and garage sales.
LOL.
I step into Walmart maybe once in 3 years and then ask myself why.

Where I live we don't call them garage sales. We call them tag sales.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60784
Oct 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont get how one can say the public is being bribed. We get value for the services that the government provides. Case in point - the 24? billion dollar hit and disruption to our economy by the fruitless antics of the lunatics in congress.
I see no problems with the system that cant be finer tuned. No need to throw it out.
Biggest concern from the TP is the debt. But it is falling, so this is really a non-issue.
Tea Party is not a grass roots movement. If it was, it wouldnt be based within the Republican Party. Occupy Wall Street was a grass roots movement - it had no ties to the Dems or the Repubs other than theoretical alliances in certain views.
Let's say I'm interested in getting elected to public office -- whether I'm running for Governor or Dog Catcher. In order to get elected I have to offer something to the voters that my opponent doesn't' offer. Maybe I have to offer the same thing as my opponent, just more of it. People have to perceive a personal benefit for voting for me. If I managed to get elected, I have to keep promising an increasing amount of fiscal blessings to the electorate to stay in office. It doesn't matter if I'm a Democrat or a Republican, I can't get elected by telling the voters I want them to have less they have now. I can however tell the voters I'm taking something away from that "other" group, and that they will end up paying less tax. But, I can't take anything away from those I expect to vote for me. That, sir, is a bribe.

Now, I didn't pay for that thing myself, I'm going to buy that thing with public money. But I will take the credit for providing it and even hit that without me you could never have received it.

An endless parade of promises and an endless chequebook to pay for those promises is the unsustainable situation of which de Tocqueville warned us about 150 years ago.

As for the Tea Party being Republican. I don't argue that precious few of their ranks identify with the Democratic Party. But, it's a fact that the entrenched Republican leadership is made just as nervous by the Tea Party as the Democratic leadership. The only difference is, the Republican Party leadership can't openly say anything.

The Tea Party WAS (I believe the wind has spilled from those sails) a perceived threat to career politicians from both parties.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60785
Oct 17, 2013
 
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
I am trying to prove nothing.
Haute is natural to me.
I have been wearing haute couture from a very young age courtesy my extra-stylish and extremely good looking late parents.
Haute is worn to special occasions like weddings, parties, restaurants, exclusive private dos or at times to business meetings and yes haute wear is far more expensive when compared to pret lines.
I am not trying to prove anything by wearing the haute stuff - it's natural to me since I was a toddler.
In fact, I own more pret these days than haute couture outfits.
To get a good haute suit, for example, I would have to fly to Milan, London, Rome or Paris where the main clothes salons of the top end fashion designers are located. This is tedious and so unless the occasions is extra-special one does not fly abroad to the top-end fashion salons for a unique or exclusive made-to-measure suit and then they have these fitting sessions for which one has to fly into their salon again. This is time consuming and tedious. The final product is dispatched by private courier to your address but it's so much trouble for the designer and for the client to make so many trips to the designer's salon in say Paris or Milan.
So, it's better to stick to local haute couturiers like say Shahab Durazi who're as good as their Western counterparts and better in some ways.
Wearing clothes that match my personality, taste and style is as natural as having a haircut.
Not everyone can carry off high fashion clothes especially the haute stuff - you should know how to carry yourself, have a great body, know almost everything about etiquette and table-wear/table manners and have sufficient intelligence to carry on a brilliant conversation in elite circles that does justice to your super clothes, otherwise it becomes a bland exercise in showing off and the person is overshadowed by the fine clothes and often becomes a laughing stock.
What makes someone an elite?

Isn't "stylish" a subjective term?

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60786
Oct 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I step into Walmart maybe once in 3 years and then ask myself why.
Where I live we don't call them garage sales. We call them tag sales.
Walmart rules ... When I need something they sell, they are my first choice. Large selection, low prices on everyday household items.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60787
Oct 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
I am trying to prove nothing.
Haute is natural to me.
I have been wearing haute couture from a very young age courtesy my extra-stylish and extremely good looking late parents.
Haute is worn to special occasions like weddings, parties, restaurants, exclusive private dos or at times to business meetings and yes haute wear is far more expensive when compared to pret lines.
I am not trying to prove anything by wearing the haute stuff - it's natural to me since I was a toddler.
In fact, I own more pret these days than haute couture outfits.
To get a good haute suit, for example, I would have to fly to Milan, London, Rome or Paris where the main clothes salons of the top end fashion designers are located. This is tedious and so unless the occasions is extra-special one does not fly abroad to the top-end fashion salons for a unique or exclusive made-to-measure suit and then they have these fitting sessions for which one has to fly into their salon again. This is time consuming and tedious. The final product is dispatched by private courier to your address but it's so much trouble for the designer and for the client to make so many trips to the designer's salon in say Paris or Milan.
So, it's better to stick to local haute couturiers like say Shahab Durazi who're as good as their Western counterparts and better in some ways.
Wearing clothes that match my personality, taste and style is as natural as having a haircut.
Not everyone can carry off high fashion clothes especially the haute stuff - you should know how to carry yourself, have a great body, know almost everything about etiquette and table-wear/table manners and have sufficient intelligence to carry on a brilliant conversation in elite circles that does justice to your super clothes, otherwise it becomes a bland exercise in showing off and the person is overshadowed by the fine clothes and often becomes a laughing stock.
How does a piece of clothing match your personality?

If you walk by me with an expensive piece od clothing I look at you as an idiot for wasting your money, the same way I look at those idiots buying furbys.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60788
Oct 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I do find it amusing that you actually consider relevance (the date) when I step on a sacred cow, but yet you habitually ignore relevance in just about every other post you make (Still fighting the good fight against healthcare in Idaho????)
Paul's explanation is weak. He obviously lacks the ability to play in a sandbox, which would be fine if he wasnt a practicing member of a skilled profession which serves the public.
Later articles noted he is a self professed expert in cataract surgery - which is usually subsidized by medicaid - making this all the more IRONIC.
Its a trade organization, your point?
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60789
Oct 17, 2013
 
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart rules ... When I need something they sell, they are my first choice. Large selection, low prices on everyday household items.
Some walmart products are inferior in quality.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60790
Oct 17, 2013
 
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to be clear here, American Board of Ophthalmology is a private, not government organization.
The idea behind a more Libertarian government is not to eliminate government (that is anarchy). However, there are limits to what a government can and should provide to it's people. Both fiscal and moral limits. The idea behind Libertarianism is to increasingly allow the private sector to provide public services better and cheaper than can be done by the public sector.
Some people inherently don't trust private organizations to serve the public trust. But, I'd speculate an equal and growing number of people don't trust the public sector to serve the public trust as well.
I'm more than willing to discuss the pros and cons of Libertarian philosophy if we eliminate conspiracy theory and communist plots from the rhetoric (that part isn't aimed at you, Mr Bean)
Are you suggesting a civil discourse? That's crazy talk.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60791
Oct 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood.
The issue about Rand Paul wasnt about government, it was about trust. The article exposes him for the charlatan he is(was), which detracts from his credibility in his other walks of life. That was a lousy preamble from the author.
I have known more than a few govt or ex govt employees who profess to have (some) libertarian views. They tell me its a reaction from working in government, and being that I had a brief taste of that years ago, I can relate.
I think one thing we all can be in agreement is that the Tea Party is not libertarian nor politically conservative. I see the masses as rooted in ethnic identity politics (origins as white, male, southern culture) and their more vocal leaders such as Cruz and Bachman as typical politicians (i.e. opportunistic).
True there are soke opportunistic politicians jumping on the wagon but the tea party is rooted in Ron Paul libertarianism, started in 2007 and has been co-opted in many ways by some neo-cons.
Just like liberalism has its progressives which are like national socialists.

Did you miss the fact that he was a member of that trade organization and his membership lapsed because he didn't think that it was fair?
There was no ill will there.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60792
Oct 17, 2013
 
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting a civil discourse? That's crazy talk.
Yea, sorry about that. Acid flashback.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60793
Oct 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont get how one can say the public is being bribed. We get value for the services that the government provides. Case in point - the 24? billion dollar hit and disruption to our economy by the fruitless antics of the lunatics in congress.
I see no problems with the system that cant be finer tuned. No need to throw it out.
Biggest concern from the TP is the debt. But it is falling, so this is really a non-issue.
Tea Party is not a grass roots movement. If it was, it wouldnt be based within the Republican Party. Occupy Wall Street was a grass roots movement - it had no ties to the Dems or the Repubs other than theoretical alliances in certain views.
The tea party movement started within the end the fed movement in 2007, Gary Frenchy.

Please provide proof that the debt is falling.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60794
Oct 17, 2013
 
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
True there are soke opportunistic politicians jumping on the wagon but the tea party is rooted in Ron Paul libertarianism, started in 2007 and has been co-opted in many ways by some neo-cons.
Just like liberalism has its progressives which are like national socialists.
Did you miss the fact that he was a member of that trade organization and his membership lapsed because he didn't think that it was fair?
There was no ill will there.
Its not a question of ill will. Its a question of ensuring that the standard of professional conduct is maintained. Through CEUs (continuing ed credits), screening of experience, and the like. When I go to a DR I want to know that he is up to date. Paul is/was falsely advertising he was an active member of the profession. In truth, he was an active member of a profession of 7.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60795
Oct 17, 2013
 
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart rules ... When I need something they sell, they are my first choice. Large selection, low prices on everyday household items.
Sorry, I cant get past their shoddy quality, their shoddy lighting, their shoddy employment practices, their shoddy help, and their shoddy lines at the check out. If it wasnt for those few things, I would shop there more often. If I need a box store I go to Target, a little bit more in price but a worlds difference on those issues.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60796
Oct 17, 2013
 
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
As for the Tea Party being Republican. I don't argue that precious few of their ranks identify with the Democratic Party. But, it's a fact that the entrenched Republican leadership is made just as nervous by the Tea Party as the Democratic leadership. The only difference is, the Republican Party leadership can't openly say anything.
The Tea Party WAS (I believe the wind has spilled from those sails) a perceived threat to career politicians from both parties.
It was originally a threat until the Repubs decided to TRY to coopt it. But the fact is noone is forcing the TP to primary in the Repub party. They see it as a natural fit.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60797
Oct 17, 2013
 
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say I'm interested in getting elected to public office -- whether I'm running for Governor or Dog Catcher. In order to get elected I have to offer something to the voters that my opponent doesn't' offer. Maybe I have to offer the same thing as my opponent, just more of it. People have to perceive a personal benefit for voting for me. If I managed to get elected, I have to keep promising an increasing amount of fiscal blessings to the electorate to stay in office. It doesn't matter if I'm a Democrat or a Republican, I can't get elected by telling the voters I want them to have less they have now. I can however tell the voters I'm taking something away from that "other" group, and that they will end up paying less tax. But, I can't take anything away from those I expect to vote for me. That, sir, is a bribe.
Now, I didn't pay for that thing myself, I'm going to buy that thing with public money. But I will take the credit for providing it and even hit that without me you could never have received it.
An endless parade of promises and an endless chequebook to pay for those promises is the unsustainable situation of which de Tocqueville warned us about 150 years ago.
Not all politicians, and certainly less Dems than Repubs, campaign on wedge issues. That seems to be a specialty of the Republicans, rooted in the days of Lee Atwater and Karl Rove. The only thing the Dems have that is near to that is campaigning on the issue of "inequality" but really, the follow through on that is pennies compared to some of the Republicans.

Social Security and the safety net is not as unsustainable as the politicians make it out to be. Obamacare is revenue neutral, provided the Republicans dont gut its mechanisms.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60799
Oct 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I cant get past their shoddy quality, their shoddy lighting, their shoddy employment practices, their shoddy help, and their shoddy lines at the check out. If it wasnt for those few things, I would shop there more often. If I need a box store I go to Target, a little bit more in price but a worlds difference on those issues.
Maybe it's a regional thing but I've always found Walmart employees to be helpful and courteous. Their stores are, every time I've visited, clean, well-organized and well-lit. The merchandise, while inexpensive, is the same merchandise being offered in other discount chains such as Target, Ross and KMart. In rural areas of the US, they have brought the consumers choices and savings that were never available to them in the past.

As for their employment practices, they are the largest private employer in the US by a pretty fair margin. That's a benefit to an awful lot of employees. True, they aren't the highest paying jobs in the US but they aren't the lowest either. Many people in the food services industry are paid significantly lower than Walmart employees.
Frank

Rockville Centre, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60800
Oct 17, 2013
 
What's the story.
mr garred

Satellite Provider

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60801
Oct 17, 2013
 
how will l obtain d form oo and wen will pls call +2348146245308
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60802
Oct 17, 2013
 
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Non-vegetarianism = mass murder of living creatures.
Joel---Non-vegetarianism = mass murder of living creatures

Hugh--- vegetarianism= mass murder of living creatures.

If you disagree my dear Joel please state so and give a detail explanation for your feelings.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60803
Oct 17, 2013
 
If G-d didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 54,721 - 54,740 of68,114
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

95 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Also Sprach 1,071,347
Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision 6 min Bridgeview resident 67
Abby 7-10 8 min Cass 8
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 28 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,533
Show your indie spirit on Chicago's first Indep... 37 min reading is queer 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 47 min edogxxx 97,417
Amy 7-10 54 min Kuuipo 4
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••