From wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Helms :Extract below was taken from The New York Times, US Edition.
Note Yosef's lack of INFLUENCE and the first and obvious evidence of this is this article in the New York Times.
1."Under Rabbi Yosef’s leadership, Shas became a MAJOR player in GOVERNING COALITION"
Comment: What is the meaning of MAJOR player?
What is the meaning of GOVERNING COALITION?
Truly he lacked influence outside of his disciples.
2. "Israeli LEADERS of ALL STRIPES made pilgrimages to his home in Jerusalem seeking his SUPPORT."
Comment: Why would Israeli leaders of ALL STRIPES go to Yosef's home for his SUPPORT?
My guess is because Yosef was a FRINGE element. What is your guess?
3. "He wrote Talmudic commentaries and volumes of answers, known as responsa, to questions on religious law."
Comment: Yosef's commentaries were only read by his disciples.
4.“The Jewish people have lost one of the wisest men of this generation,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel said Monday.
Comment: Let me correct the Prime Minister. It should have been the ISRAELI people and NOT the Jewish people. His error make it seems that Yosef was a somebody to other Jews outside of Israel.
5. President Shimon Peres said he had been at the rabbi’s bedside hours before his death.“When I pressed his hand, I felt I was touching HISTORY,” Mr. Peres said,“and when I kissed his head, it was as though I kissed the very greatness of Israel.”
Comment: It seems to me that these Israeli leaders are ALL DUNCES so allow me to correct this other DUNCE i.e. the President of Israel. The President should have said Sephardic Israeli HISTORY. The omission of the words "Sephardic Israeli" give a FALSE impression as to the IMPORTANCE of Yosef outside of his followers.
6. Rabbi Yosef’s weekly sermons, delivered on Saturday nights after the Sabbath, were broadcast by satellite to WIDE audiences and, in the last few years, uploaded to YouTube.... the rabbi’s platform for lashing out against those he despised — rival politicians, GAY PEOPLE and perceived enemies of Israel.
Comment: My guess is that the WIDE audiences were ONLY his followers.
The rabbi was also HOMOPHOBIC. Shame on you Yosef. You should have embraced the warm "LOVE" of a homosexual and then you would have a true understanding of life and RIGHTEOUSNESS.
7. So we have coverage by the New York Times, ABC and I may be wrong but I believe that I got the other quote from CNN.
I rest my case about Yosef's lack of INFLUENCE.
Jesse Alexander Helms, Jr - A LEADING conservative, he helped organize and fund the conservative resurgence in the 1970s, aiding Ronald Reagan's quest for the White House and helping MANY local and regional candidates.
Helms was the LONGEST-serving POPULARLY elected Senator in North Carolina's history
As long-time chairman of the POWERFUL Senate Foreign Relations Committee, he demanded a staunchly anti-communist foreign policy that would reward America's friends abroad
Helms was well known for his strong religious views. He played a LEADING role in the development of the Christian right, and was a FOUNDING MEMBER of the Moral Majority in 1979
Excerpt from the book "Righteous Warrior: Jesse Helms and the Rise of Modern Conservatism" - In Righteous Warrior, William A. Link provides a magisterial portrait of Senator Jesse Helms, one of the MOST COMMANDING American politicians of the late twentieth century
Yes, but according to Hugh, this man was a nobody. Certainly not worthy of criticism over his position on civil rights and religious bigotry.