Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
50,081 - 50,100 of 68,994 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#55657 Jul 1, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to a non-relative comparison?
:)
Is that like a free gift?
Frijoles --- Its a relative comparison. Huggy also likes his men sheepy.

Former---As opposed to a non-relative comparison?:) Is that like a free gift?

HughBe--- Greetings to both of my "men". I have a short time and so this is a quick stop.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#55658 Jul 1, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I see Joel has had an influence on you. I don't play into your Socratic fantasies.
HughBe-- Tell me CoR, how do you approach proving a mathematical equation? Do you omit some or any of the steps or facts? If Not why not? Having answered the above, link the concept above to evolution and teach me the TRUTH of evolution.

CoR--- I SEE Joel has had an influence on you. I don't play into your Socratic fantasies.

HughBe--- I was unaware that your vision was so badly impaired.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#55659 Jul 1, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It brings back too many memories of being forced via peer pressure to sing xmas carols in public school. I doubt that would happen today in my area though, as xtainity is not the dominant religion anymore and white Europeans do not dominate anymore- but back then....
And in some of the communities here the chabad are just as bad/pushy as the evangelicals...Its hard to legitimately criticize the evangelicals when the chabad pretty much do the same thing.
Yes, I faced the same thing. Sometimes I would rebel and draw study hall instead of singing carols. Other times my friends and I would make up alternate words to the carols ("G-d rest ye, Jerry Mandelbaum" and "It's beginning to look a lot like brisket -- every Friday night")

As for the Chabad, I appreciate their "in your face" Judaism as a counter-foil to the "in your face Xtianity" of the evangelicals. Besides, they don't convert.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#55660 Jul 1, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I think you just called me fat!
Do these jeans make my axx look......?
Huggy likes his men beefy. Or so I'm hoping.
Former---Huggy likes his men beefy. Or so I'm hoping.

HughBe--- When did you become beefy? I know you as being malnourished and I love you just the way you are.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#55661 Jul 1, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

I like that. Have always been told I'm "too philosophical." Whatever that means.
My dad graduated #2 in his law school class. If I had it to do over I'd probably have gone that way.
Could mean being reflective, or just questioning.

I work with a lot of attorneys. Most seem unhappy with their choice of profession. Though I have met more than a few characters who sincerely enjoy the litigative aspects.

Location hidden

#55662 Jul 1, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I faced the same thing. Sometimes I would rebel and draw study hall instead of singing carols. Other times my friends and I would make up alternate words to the carols ("G-d rest ye, Jerry Mandelbaum" and "It's beginning to look a lot like brisket -- every Friday night")
As for the Chabad, I appreciate their "in your face" Judaism as a counter-foil to the "in your face Xtianity" of the evangelicals. Besides, they don't convert.
We didnt have enough Jewish kids to band together like that.

"in your face": Foil is nice, but our concerns were that we spent a decade or two fighting the imposition of ANY religion on the public sector, and these clowns (and they were initially) roll right into the community with no invitation and start advocating for everything we have been fighting against. Of since, we have learned that not all chabad groups are alike - they are all outposts of a sort - but some are definitely more intrusive than others....

Location hidden

#55663 Jul 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe-- Tell me CoR, how do you approach proving a mathematical equation? Do you omit some or any of the steps or facts? If Not why not? Having answered the above, link the concept above to evolution and teach me the TRUTH of evolution.
CoR--- I SEE Joel has had an influence on you. I don't play into your Socratic fantasies.
Hughbe, havent you noticed yet that virtually noone wants to play that game?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#55664 Jul 1, 2013
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Real men drink their juice from BOTTLE, not BOXES.
Frijoles --- Long before the Supreme Court overturned the Defense of Marriage Act, conspiracy broadcaster Alex Jones was warning his viewers that the government was turning people gay by putting chemicals in their juice boxes, water bottles, and potato chip bags that feminized men......

RickM-- Real men drink their juice from BOTTLE, not BOXES.

HughBe---It seems to me that your government was among the first converts and indeed for the laws to be passed conversion would have to take place.

Location hidden

#55665 Jul 1, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah why do we need to advertise our religious beliefs? Or promote them?
BTW, I attended service at the First Congregational Church of Cheshire yesterday; Really gorgeous and old church with much history; and NO KNEELING! Also great music and a nice people.
(We had gone to the Strawberry Festival there a few weeks back.)
The pastor graduated from Staples HS in '86 and Yale Divinity School. Good sermon too.
I plan to return.
Not too preachy and very positive.
Of tangential interest:

First flirting, then religion: A Jewish girl’s introduction to Jesus

http://www.jta.org/2013/06/05/life-religion/h...

----------
Reminds me of when I was in college - A friend was invited to a Hare Krishna vegetarian dinner - the Krishnas made it sound like a big event - lots of people invited. And it was! My friend (only) plus lots of the Krishnas.

He did tell me the food was excellent, but he skedaddled out before the chanting really got going afterwords...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#55666 Jul 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
I AM aware that yours IS. C'est la vie

Location hidden

#55667 Jul 1, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I like that. Have always been told I'm "too philosophical." Whatever that means.
My dad graduated #2 in his law school class. If I had it to do over I'd probably have gone that way.
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/01/be_employable...

Be employable, study philosophy

The discipline teaches you how to think clearly, a gift that can be applied to just about any line of work
former res

Cheshire, CT

#55668 Jul 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
...HughBe--- Greetings to both of my "men". I have a short time and so this is a quick stop.
Helpful.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#55669 Jul 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former---Huggy likes his men beefy. Or so I'm hoping.
HughBe--- When did you become beefy? I know you as being malnourished and I love you just the way you are.
My blushes.

You really must stop.

Truly incorrigible.

Just wait till I get you home.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#55670 Jul 1, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Could mean being reflective, or just questioning.
I work with a lot of attorneys. Most seem unhappy with their choice of profession. Though I have met more than a few characters who sincerely enjoy the litigative aspects.
I'm sure you haven't noticed but do enjoy
arguing, when I'm well-rested anyway.

Did I say arguing? Of course I meant discussing/exchanging views etc.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#55671 Jul 1, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/01/be_employable...
Be employable, study philosophy
The discipline teaches you how to think clearly, a gift that can be applied to just about any line of work
I know a guy who majored in philosophy, then went on to medical school and is now head of pulmonary medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas. He's my friend's brother.

Burton Dickey, MD

Location hidden

#55672 Jul 1, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a guy who majored in philosophy, then went on to medical school and is now head of pulmonary medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas. He's my friend's brother.
Burton Dickey, MD
At least he is not a urologist.
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#55673 Jul 1, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well it would be a real crappy* affair, to be a proctologist.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#55674 Jul 1, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard of an ob/gyn who had "BoxDoc" on his license plate.

Location hidden

#55675 Jul 1, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard of an ob/gyn who had "BoxDoc" on his license plate.
Speaking of boxes, did you get the tornado alert today where you live? we did - they packed the kids into "safe spots"...Paper said it touched down in E Windsor
former res

Cheshire, CT

#55676 Jul 2, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of boxes, did you get the tornado alert today where you live? we did - they packed the kids into "safe spots"...Paper said it touched down in E Windsor
Not sure if we had a warning but definitely heard about it after the fact. That's right across the CT River from Bradley Airport.

I grew up with tornado warnings/sheltering in school/storm lanterns etc in Illinois just west of Chicago. Moved to CT in '70/6th grade. Then the only really dangers were snotty kids!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 min TRD 68,379
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Incognito4Ever 1,100,505
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 25 min newpoly 1,910
Word (Dec '08) 45 min andet1987 4,656
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,408
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr edogxxx 97,938
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 2 hr Heisenberg 44
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••