Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,255
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#53542 May 28, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard of the "hillbillies of CT" - that sounds pretty interesting. Are they still around?
Is the Newark basin related to the Delaware Water Gap? Canoed there as a Boy Scout. Also on the Housatonic in CT. Up north. Went to car races too at Lyme Rock as a teen.
A lot going on for a small state. Much for us to explore after my being away 30+ years.
Newark Basin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Basin

The same geology underlies the I91 corridor, where you live. Red valley soils punctuated by trap rock Basaltic (volcanic) ridgelines. Compare your soil with the soil at your Moms, Sis, and Bro. 100% different in color.

Upper Housatonic valley is cut into Marble deposits - remnant of old sea millions of years ago on edge of original North American continent, before all the continents merged together as Pangaea

Location hidden

#53543 May 28, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow - in PA we had groundhogs, possums, even a fox, of course deer, many deer - and here we had a wild turkey the other day.
Small world. My wife read that we shouldn't feed the wild turkey as they attract coyotes, evidently their only natural predator in these parts.
And if we still had a small dog, coyotes would be a bad thing.(We may get a dog again one day....a toy poodle could make a nice snack for a wild dog)
Where you live now you have bobcats, bears, and every few years a stray moose. Up on the ridges you have the last real habitat for Copperheads in CT (yes there are there - no I havent seen them).

You also have a rare salamander or newt that only lives on the ridges (I forget the name)

Location hidden

#53544 May 28, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
There was an article in the paper about it a few months ago. If I recall correctly, you have a pit bull, right? I'm pretty sure he can defend himself (and you) if push comes to shove.
Thanks.

I think the area they are referring to is a block east of the dealership - Rosa Hartman park on the border.

You think my pit bull can defend itself? lol. Obviously you never met my couch potato pit bull. She has been in 2 fights in her life - both time attacked in a public park. Once by a Golden retriever, once by a Pekingese. BOTH times myself or my wife had to pick her up in the middle of the fray and carry her away so she couldnt get hurt.

A few years ago I was walking with her in a small pocket park of woods in a Boston -(not too far from where the bomber was caught) and we got stalked by a coyote. That scared the crap out of me. I had to pick her up and walk out of the woods with her in my arms. Since then I never leave her out of my sight in the woods anywhere.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#53545 May 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Newark Basin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Basin
The same geology underlies the I91 corridor, where you live. Red valley soils punctuated by trap rock Basaltic (volcanic) ridgelines. Compare your soil with the soil at your Moms, Sis, and Bro. 100% different in color.
Upper Housatonic valley is cut into Marble deposits - remnant of old sea millions of years ago on edge of original North American continent, before all the continents merged together as Pangaea
The wife says she has noticed something different about the soil here, from gardening, planting already. She said it seems more clay-like.

She wants to know what implications this might have for planting etc.

And I want to know about the hillbillies!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#53546 May 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Where you live now you have bobcats, bears, and every few years a stray moose. Up on the ridges you have the last real habitat for Copperheads in CT (yes there are there - no I havent seen them).
You also have a rare salamander or newt that only lives on the ridges (I forget the name)
I bet a bobcat could be a menace to little dog as well. Not to mention what a bear could do, even to a pitbull. Never thought about snakes - good to know.

We're one climate cooler here than we were in PA. Which feels great to me.

Someone told me however that north of the Merrit is hotter and drier in the summer and colder in the winter.

Location hidden

#53547 May 28, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
\
And I want to know about the hillbillies!
The hillbillies live in the Naugatuck valley (known locally as the "valley", but dont confuse that with the CT River (I91) valley where you live in (and dont confuse that with the fact that the CT river actually veers east and out of the I91 valley somewhere south of Hartford so the CT river valley in CT no longer has the CT river).

These days there a lot of people living in the "valley" that are transplants from Fairfield County who realized the good land deals and still commute my way.

But there are still natives around as well.

The "Valley" is basically Waterbury (or above?) down to Shelton. Stratford is technically in the valley but the people are different since it is coastal. No hillbillies but there are strange creatures in the forest in Stratford and Shelton called Melonheads.

Check out the valley towns. Seymour is known for their antiques and their casket factory.

Location hidden

#53548 May 28, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet a bobcat could be a menace to little dog as well. Not to mention what a bear could do, even to a pitbull. Never thought about snakes - good to know.
We're one climate cooler here than we were in PA. Which feels great to me.
Someone told me however that north of the Merrit is hotter and drier in the summer and colder in the winter.
I think that is true (the hotter and drier). I go up to Ridgefield a lot to work and the air seems hotter and more stagnant. Below RT 15, we have more coastal air patterns.

Location hidden

#53549 May 28, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The wife says she has noticed something different about the soil here, from gardening, planting already. She said it seems more clay-like.
She wants to know what implications this might have for planting etc.
https://soilseries.sc.egov.usda.gov/OSD_Docs/...

CHESHIRE SOIL SERIES

The Cheshire series consists of very deep, well drained loamy soils formed in supraglacial till on uplands. They are nearly level through very steep soils on till plains and hills. Slope ranges from 0 through 60 percent. Saturated hydraulic conductivity is moderately high or high throughout. Mean annual temperature is about 50 degrees F., and mean annual precipitation is about 47 inches.
TAXONOMIC CLASS: Coarse-loamy, mixed, semiactive, mesic Typic Dystrudepts

TYPICAL PEDON: Cheshire fine sandy loam - cultivated field.(Colors are for moist soil unless otherwise noted.)

Ap-- 0 to 8 inches; dark brown (7.5YR 3/2) fine sandy loam, pinkish gray (7.5YR 6/2) dry; weak medium granular structure; friable; common fine roots; 5 percent gravel; strongly acid; clear wavy boundary.(6 to 10 inches thick.)

Bw1-- 8 to 16 inches; reddish brown (5YR 4/4) fine sandy loam; weak medium subangular blocky structure; friable; few fine roots; 10 percent gravel; strongly acid; gradual wavy boundary.

Bw2-- 16 to 26 inches; reddish brown (5YR 5/4) fine sandy loam; weak medium subangular blocky structure; very friable; few fine roots; 10 percent gravel; strongly acid; clear wavy boundary.(Combined thickness of the Bw horizons is 12 to 35 inches.)

C-- 26 to 65 inches; reddish brown (2.5YR 4/4) gravelly sandy loam; massive; very friable with firm lenses; 20 percent gravel and cobbles; strongly acid.

TYPE LOCATION: New Haven County, Connecticut; town of Wallingford, 50 feet east of Northford Road and 500 feet north of the junction of Northford and Anderson Roads. USGS Wallingford topographic quadrangle, Latitude 41 degrees, 24 minutes, 57 seconds N., Longitude 72 degrees, 46 minutes, 23 seconds W., NAD 1927.

RANGE IN CHARACTERISTICS: Thickness of the solum ranges from 20 through 38 inches. Depth to bedrock is commonly more than 6 feet. Rock fragments range from 5 to 35 percent by volume throughout the soil. Except where the surface is stony, the fragments are mostly subrounded gravel and typically make up 60 percent or more of the total rock fragments. Unless limed, reaction ranges from is very strongly acid through moderately acid.

The Ap horizon has hue of 5YR through 10YR, value of 3 or 4, and chroma of 2 through 4. Dry value is 6 or more. Undisturbed pedons have a thin A horizon with value of 2 or 3 and chroma of 1 through 3. The Ap or A horizon is sandy loam to silt loam in the fine-earth fraction. It has weak or moderate granular structure and is friable or very friable.

The Bw horizon has hue of 2.5YR or 5YR, value of 3 through 5, and chroma of 3 through 6. It is sandy loam to silt loam in the fine-earth fraction. The Bw horizon has weak granular or subangular blocky structure, or it is massive. Consistence is friable or very friable.

Some pedons have a BC horizon.

The C horizon has hue of 10R to 5YR, value of 3 or 4, and chroma of 3 through 6. It is sandy loam, fine sandy loam, or loam in the fine-earth fraction. Pockets or thin lenses of loamy sand are in some pedons. The horizon is massive or it has weak platy structure. Consistence is commonly very friable or friable, but the range includes firm.

Location hidden

#53550 May 28, 2013
CHESHIRE SOIL SERIES Continued....

COMPETING SERIES: There are no other soils in the same family.

The Ashe, Brookfield, Buladean, Cardigan, Chadakoin, Charlton, Chatfield, Chestnut, Ditney, Dutchess, Edneyville, Fedscreek, Hazel, Lordstown, Marrowbone, Maymead, Newport, Riverhead, Soco, St. Albans, Stecoah, Steinsburg, Stinger, Tipshaw, Valois, and Yalesville soils are in closely related families. Ashe, Cardigan, Chatfield, Ditney, Hazel, Lordstown, Marrowbone, Steinsburg, and Yalesville soils are 20 to 40 inches deep to bedrock. Brookfield soils have many mica flakes, are dominated by micaceous schist rock fragments, and have 7.5YR or yellower hue in the C horizon. Charlton, Dutchess, Fedscreek, Maymead, St. Albans, and Valois soils have hue of 7.5YR or yellower in the B and C horizons. Chestnut soils formed in residuum and have weathered bedrock at a depth of 20 to 40 inches. Edneyville soils formed in residuum and have a C horizon of saprolite. Riverhead soils have a stratified sand and gravel substratum within a 20 to 40 inch depth. Satsop soils receive 60 to 80 inches of precipitation annually.

GEOGRAPHIC SETTING: Cheshire soils are nearly level through very steep and are on till plains and upland hills. Slope ranges from 0 through 60 percent. The soils formed in acid glacial till derived mostly from reddish sandstone, shale, and conglomerate with some basalt. Mean annual temperature ranges from 45 through 52 degrees F., mean annual precipitation ranges from 40 through 50 inches, and the growing season ranges from 130 through 185 days.

GEOGRAPHICALLY ASSOCIATED SOILS: These are the Berlin, Branford, Broadbrook, Ellington, Hartford, Holyoke, Ludlow, Manchester, Menlo, Penwood, Wapping, Watchaug, Wethersfield, Wilbraham, and Yalesville soils. The moderately well drained Watchaug soils are associated in a drainage sequence. Berlin soils are on lacustrine terraces. Branford, Ellington, Hartford, Manchester, and Penwood soils are on nearby outwash terraces and are underlain by stratified sand and gravel. Broadbrook, Ludlow, and Wethersfield soils have a dense substratum. Holyoke soils have bedrock within a 10 to 20 inch depth. Menlo and Wilbraham soils are very poorly drained and poorly drained, respectively. Wapping soils are moderately well drained and have 7.5YR or yellower hue in the B horizon.

DRAINAGE AND SATURATED HYDRAULIC CONDUCTIVITY: Well drained. Surface runoff is medium to rapid. Saturated hydraulic conductivity is moderately high or high throughout.

USE AND VEGETATION: Many areas are cleared and used for cultivated crops, hay, or pasture. Some areas are used for vegetables, nursery stock, and other specialty crops. Scattered areas are used for community development. Stony areas are mostly wooded. Common trees are northern red, white, and black oak, hickory, ash, sugar maple, red maple, gray birch, eastern white pine, and eastern hemlock.

DISTRIBUTION AND EXTENT: Glaciated uplands of Connecticut, Massachusetts, and in southeastern New York. MLRAs 144A and 145. The series is of moderate extent.

MLRA SOIL SURVEY REGIONAL OFFICE (MO) RESPONSIBLE: Amherst, Massachusetts

SERIES ESTABLISHED: Hamden County, Massachusetts, 1928.

REMARKS: This revision reflects change in soil taxonomy to the 8th edition of the Keys and general updating. Cation exchange activity class placement based upon limited lab data and a review of similar and associated soils.

Diagnostic horizons and features recognized in this pedon are:
1. Ochric epipedon - the zone from 0 to 8 inches (Ap horizon).
2. Cambic horizon - the zone from 8 to 26 inches (Bw horizons).

National Cooperative Soil Survey
U.S.A.

Location hidden

#53551 May 28, 2013
There will be no exam.

Location hidden

#53552 May 28, 2013
I have no clue what the implications are for gardening - regarding fertility - except to note that the soils, since they are derived from crumbly sedimentary deposits, lack the large rocks ( farm potatoes) that we have here, and that historically the farming has been much better in your (CT river) valley than here.

Location hidden

#53553 May 28, 2013
FR

and by the way, I am assuming the soils were you live ARE the Cheshire Soil Series. They might not be. There are half a dozen related soils found in your area. I would need the address to narrow it down further, and then a field visit to confirm. And then I would send you a bill. lol.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#53554 May 28, 2013
The dunce, who has a doctorate in science, is online posting garbage on soils (that he's copied from some website). ROFL. He doesn't even know the difference between valence and oxidation state; or the difference between mole and equivalent; or the difference among normality, molarity, molality and formality. Ask the dunce a simple question on the scientific principles involved or on the accompanying calculations based on the chemical equations/the chemical concepts and he'll flee the scene in embarrassment. He's not only a dunce but a fanatic and a biased jerk as well. Shameless creature. LOL.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#53555 May 28, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
The dunce, who has a doctorate in science, is online posting garbage on soils (that he's copied from some website). ROFL. He doesn't even know the difference between valence and oxidation state; or the difference between mole and equivalent; or the difference among normality, molarity, molality and formality. Ask the dunce a simple question on the scientific principles involved or on the accompanying calculations based on the chemical equations/the chemical concepts and he'll flee the scene in embarrassment. He's not only a dunce but a fanatic and a biased jerk as well. Shameless creature. LOL.
You are true genius to recognize that i copied from a website. Could it be THE LINK I published that propelled you to come to that confusion?

Be of use for a change.

Explain to us humble folk how much fertility of his soils would be due to quaternary events that fostered soil development (glaciation) and how much is a remnant of their tropical development 200 Million years ago.

Look at the changes in minerology composition (2:1 vs 1:1 clays) and relative weathering rates of these clays, and the impact of that on CEC to

Its a wide open question - i.e. I dont know the answer - With REAL WORLD implications

If the fertility is new then FR soils are just as good as mine. If the fertility is old, then his wife will have better cucumbers than me.
Voluntarist

United States

#53556 May 28, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheshire.
Nice quiet town.(Home invasion of a few years back notwithstanding.)
We back up on some woods.
Only an hour from mom's now vs 2 1/2 when we lived in PA.
And a nice prison
Voluntarist

United States

#53557 May 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
And now they have a new jackass running around.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#53558 May 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The hillbillies live in the Naugatuck valley (known locally as the "valley", but dont confuse that with the CT River (I91) valley where you live in (and dont confuse that with the fact that the CT river actually veers east and out of the I91 valley somewhere south of Hartford so the CT river valley in CT no longer has the CT river).
These days there a lot of people living in the "valley" that are transplants from Fairfield County who realized the good land deals and still commute my way.
But there are still natives around as well.
The "Valley" is basically Waterbury (or above?) down to Shelton. Stratford is technically in the valley but the people are different since it is coastal. No hillbillies but there are strange creatures in the forest in Stratford and Shelton called Melonheads.
Check out the valley towns. Seymour is known for their antiques and their casket factory.
You really know this state, inside and out.

Were you born here? I know you lived in AZ for time, college and post-college I believe.

Did you know Cheshire (aside from the prison) is known as "The Bedding Plant Capital"? True!

Melonheads? Tell me they don't play the banjo.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#53559 May 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is true (the hotter and drier). I go up to Ridgefield a lot to work and the air seems hotter and more stagnant. Below RT 15, we have more coastal air patterns.
That makes sense.

I'm just glad it runs a bit cooler here than it did in PA.

We lived in "The Delaware Valley" which is Latin for "feels like a rain forest all summer."
former res

Cheshire, CT

#53560 May 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
https://soilseries.sc.egov.usda.gov/OSD_Docs/...
CHESHIRE SOIL SERIES
The Cheshire series consists of very deep, well drained loamy soils formed in supraglacial till on uplands. They are nearly level through very steep soils on till plains and hills. Slope...
Interesting. Will share this info with the wife.

She's in charge of gardening/yard stuff (though I still cut the grass!).

You're hired!

ps..Did you know that CT basically abolished all county gov't I think around 40 years ago. Though still of geographical use (if not political). County gov't is still big in PA - courts, sheriffs office, taxes, RE records, carry permits! etc.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#53561 May 28, 2013
(smiles, the dunce is livid).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Yeah 1,155,838
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 min budd 49,320
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 44 min Religionthebiglie 51,286
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 53 min PEllen 98,879
Chicago Pizza Blows 1 hr Larry 4
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Is Vanessa Hudgens A PORN-STAR ?? (Oct '07) 2 hr moe 189
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques Ottawa 182,087
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:06 am PST

Bleacher Report12:06AM