Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
46,601 - 46,620 of 68,368 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well lets just say, i can see almost the whole capitol building from here, from colfax and corona. i guess you could say, almost dead center of denver. or at least, within the first ring next to the bulls eye. it's called, capitol hill.
and your right, it is pretty desolate on the eastern plains and western slope. with most of the population, living along the front range in metro-denver, metro-fort collins, metro-colorado springs, and metro-pueblo.
does not leave a lot left, in populating the rest of the state. with only about a half a million, people for the rest of the state. but at least it is in the center of the state, so it doen't tip over.
You live not far from where I used to live. I lived three blocks south of the Art Museum, which is pretty central.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Would you hear the sound of an ant farting before you?

(smiles)
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

JOEL wrote:
Would you hear the sound of an ant farting before you?
(smiles)
You and ATF/Volunteer guy should set up a consulting practice.

Tag line could be, "No matter too insignificant"
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

<quoted text>

rabbee: true laws, cannot be changed.
So, what are the true laws?
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

<quoted text>

most laws are mental magic only.
What do you mean by "mental magic"?

Why do you relate mind to natural laws?

I employ the word mind as related to the natural laws in a very special sense.

I shall write about this later.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

<quoted text>

i am not impressed, that some body got credit. for writting about an apple falling, from and apple tree. when this was common knowledge, for thousands of years.
So, did the ancients know the inverse square law of gravitation?

What could be the basis of gravitation?
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>

You and ATF/Volunteer guy should set up a consulting practice.

Tag line could be, "No matter too insignificant"
But, you're the dunce on this thread, right? LOL.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Former is one of the biggest dunces here. LOL.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

QUESTION:

"The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine."

- Sir James Jeans

(English physicist, astronomer and mathematician)

PS: Most laws are mental constructs - how do we explain this statement? Does it even make sense?

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

<quoted text>
rabbee: wow it's no wonder, i am feeling a little crowded. i can remember when colorado, only had a half a million people. where you could feel, at home on deranged. and there were more, prairie dogs than people.
and there were more cattle, in weld county than people in all of colorado. and real cowboys, with sidearms. don't run into, too many indans any more. used to have some indian friends, but have lost track of them over time. and one of them who was in the same unit, was killed in vietnam right before my eyes.
One of the reasons I moved out of Arizona was I saw the same population increase and it drove me crazy. Would rather move back and live in a place which is already crowded, rather than watch a place get spoiled.

Most of the Indians are in SW part of your state I imagine.

I only drive thru the eastern flatlands in Colorado once, when I was younger, and it was pretty darn monotonous, however, according to Wiki the prairie has more variation than one might notice out their car window...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer the question, if a church taxed you would you pay it?
They already do. Its called dues. And often it is income based.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you're the dunce on this thread, right? LOL.
You have anointed many people here with that label. Be consistent or nobody will take you seriously.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

You have anointed many people here with that label.

Be consistent or nobody will take you seriously.
For me to take a person seriously, yes, very seriously, the person should be highly intellectual, highly fair-minded, highly free-thinking and highly spiritual with him/her being exposed to direct mystical experiences.

Mind-Matter rules.

Yes.

My criticisms of posts are meant as exercises in objectivity, truth and justice.

I hold no grudges against anyone.

I have only goodwill towards all, especially towards you, dear Papa, who I find adorable in so many ways.

I wish you the very best in life.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
For me to take a person seriously, yes, very seriously, the person should be highly intellectual, highly fair-minded, highly free-thinking and highly spiritual with him/her being exposed to direct mystical experiences.
Mind-Matter rules.
Yes.
My criticisms of posts are meant as exercises in objectivity, truth and justice.
I hold no grudges against anyone.
I have only goodwill towards all, especially towards you, dear Papa, who I find adorable in so many ways.
I wish you the very best in life.
I guess my sarcasm went over your head, for the moment.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
They already do. Its called dues. And often it is income based.
Interesting. Only the Mormons are listing as requiring it. And same with the magic underwear!

tithe
noun (Concise Encyclopedia)

Contribution of a tenth of one's income for religious purposes. The practice of tithing was established in the Hebrew scriptures and was adopted by the Western Christian church. It was enjoined by ecclesiastical law from the 6th century and enforced in Europe by secular law from the 8th century. After the Reformation, tithes continued to be imposed for the benefit of both the Protestant and Roman Catholic churches. Tithes were eventually repealed in France (1789), Ireland (1871), Italy (1887), and England (1936). In Germany support for churches is collected through the personal income tax and distributed according to the individual's religious affiliation. Tithing was never part of U.S. law, but members of certain churches (e.g., the Mormons) are required to tithe, and members of other churches may tithe voluntarily. Tithing was never accepted by the Eastern Orthodox churches.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
My criticisms of posts are meant as exercises in objectivity...
Clearly untrue.

You are spouting your opinion.

By definition: Subjective.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. Only the Mormons are listing as requiring it. And same with the magic underwear!
tithe
Contribution of a tenth of one's income for religious purposes. The practice of tithing was established in the Hebrew scriptures and was adopted by the Western Christian church. It was enjoined by ecclesiastical law from the 6th century and enforced in Europe by secular law from the 8th century. After the Reformation, tithes continued to be imposed for the benefit of both the Protestant and Roman Catholic churches. Tithes were eventually repealed in France (1789), Ireland (1871), Italy (1887), and England (1936). In Germany support for churches is collected through the personal income tax and distributed according to the individual's religious affiliation. Tithing was never part of U.S. law, but members of certain churches (e.g., the Mormons) are required to tithe, and members of other churches may tithe voluntarily. Tithing was never accepted by the Eastern Orthodox churches.
I might have stepped a bit too forward out of my shoes with that comment.

Synagogues usually require dues. Often, but not always, they are income based. Or at least unofficially. I assumed churches worked the same way. Maybe not. If not, maybe because they dont provide as many social services to their congregants as synagogues typically do?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
tithe
Also, in almost 100% of the synagogues, anyone can come in and pray etc, without joining. But if you make it a regular habit, usually it is assumed you will join and start paying dues.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I might have stepped a bit too forward out of my shoes with that comment.
Synagogues usually require dues. Often, but not always, they are income based. Or at least unofficially. I assumed churches worked the same way. Maybe not. If not, maybe because they dont provide as many social services to their congregants as synagogues typically do?
Wow, so you have to tell them your income?!

That's between me, TurboTax and the man.

At mass they passed the collection basket and they took what they got - though some folks gave more formally/regularly. And then of course there were the bequests.

The Catholic Church seems pretty flush. And they do a lot of charity work around the world.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Are other churches special?
HughBe---"Indeed, the church that I attend has SPECIAL people but the church itself is not special."

Frijoles---Are other churches special?

HughBe---- Your question demonstrates that you are a "special" person. Now pay very close attention to my words which you responded to.

My words, "the church itself is not special". Sit in a corner and contemplate those words.

Hint: There cannot be "OTHER" special churches if basic comprehension skills are applied.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

108 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 7-24 11 min Sublime1 29
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min ritedownthemiddle 1,079,434
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 13 min voice of peace 67,906
Possible Health Effects of Radiation Exposure a... 16 min CDC 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min truth 48,886
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 33 min Rogue Scholar 05 174,523
Avoid Victory Auto Wreckers 36 min Wrecked 12
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr edogxxx 97,521
Amy 7-24 1 hr Kuuipo 18
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000