Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Voluntarist

United States

#51902 May 7, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Faith is belief in something without evidence.
If you break the law, you will face the penalties. If you don't pay your taxes the gov't will place a tax lien on your house. You will lose your property and pay the price.
Rain man, I don't care about the "constitution or code." The gov't and the laws exist. This is fact, not faith.
Now tell me again what I am missing here.
I am talking about the facts that you rely on that any laws apply to you personally, so you are telling me that you "believe" they apply because some psychopath will put you in a cage.
So i presume that those with the guns arent worried about consent.
Btw the bible is real i can see it and touch it.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#51903 May 7, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Voluntarist---Very good point Hugh.
Frijoles---There was no point. Just a qualification.
If you are not an alien, the qualification does not involve you.
HughBe--- Call it a qualifying point, Frijoles.
Not really. The statement was directed at Volunteerist who we all know is a citizen. So his reply had no relevance to anything at hand.

Location hidden

#51904 May 7, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for no debtors prisons.
Yet those behind mortgage fraud skate
that is tax evasion. There is a penalty for that

Location hidden

#51905 May 7, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
If you break the law, you will face the penalties. If you don't pay your taxes the gov't will place a tax lien on your house. You will lose your property and pay the price.
Rain man, I don't care about the "constitution or code." The gov't and the laws exist. This is fact, not faith.

Its not what you are missing, its what you have. Your screws are all tightened.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#51906 May 7, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. The statement was directed at Volunteerist who we all know is a citizen. So his reply had no relevance to anything at hand.
noted
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#51907 May 7, 2013
later
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51908 May 7, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
I am talking about the facts that you rely on that any laws apply to you personally, so you are telling me that you "believe" they apply because some psychopath will put you in a cage.
So i presume that those with the guns arent worried about consent.
I am only telling you that I follow the law because for me it makes more sense than NOT following the law.(I would however smoke a little weed if someone had some...)

Recall pragmatism vs idealism. I do what seems practical and convenient.
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw the bible is real i can see it and touch it.
My Easter basket and Christmas tree are real too.

But I don't go looking for the bunny or Santa.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51909 May 7, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former---I do not worship anything or anyone and I don't go to any church, special or otherwise.But you do. Why?
HughBe--- Because I am NOT "special"
You go to church because you are "not special?"

I thought god (or whatever you call your deity) made each of us to be very special indeed.

Location hidden

#51910 May 7, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
noted
thank you
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#51911 May 7, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You go to church because you are "not special?"
I thought god (or whatever you call your deity) made each of us to be very special indeed.
Former---I do not worship anything or anyone and I don't go to any church, special or otherwise.But you do. Why?

Former--You go to church because you are "not special?"

HughBe--- 100% correct.

Former---I thought god (or whatever you call your deity) made each of us to be very special indeed.

HughBe---God Almighty created Adam and Eve.

All others were BORN and are products of a sinful environment which has caused many to be "special" and even "very special".
Voluntarist

United States

#51912 May 7, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
that is tax evasion. There is a penalty for that
Yup , war is peace
Voluntarist

United States

#51913 May 7, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh they exist on paper but just because a man with a gun takes property by force doesnt mean they are applicable.

If a church near you taxed you would you pay it?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51914 May 7, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--You go to church because you are "not special?"
HughBe--- 100% correct.
Former---I thought god (or whatever you call your deity) made each of us to be very special indeed.
HughBe---God Almighty created Adam and Eve.
All others were BORN and are products of a sinful environment which has caused many to be "special" and even "very special".
I understand.

Your religion is your business.

Clearly you have a reason for going to church and you hold some sort of beliefs/faith.

You also probably realize it would not stand up to scrutiny.

That's ok. Same with most folks.

You're right though. You really aren't special. Just normal.

Location hidden

#51915 May 7, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup , war is peace
you are seriously whacked

but we knew that already

:)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51916 May 7, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh they exist on paper but just because a man with a gun takes property by force doesnt mean they are applicable.
If a church near you taxed you would you pay it?
Ditto me on what Frijoles just said.

You might benefit from a time out.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#51917 May 7, 2013
First all religions and belief in invisible omniscient god(s) that can be invoked to intervene in ones life, or control anything is sheer superstition.

Given that Jesus was a Jew and that his own brother felt that followers of Jesus should be Jews that believed in Jesus as the Messiah that Jews and Christians seem to dislike "Messianic Jews" is pretty ironic.

The great schism in the early church was over the very issue of whether or not one had to be Jewish to be a follower of Jesus.

Paul was the one who opened the following to pagans and other sects as long they could accept Jesus as the resurrected son of god etc. That is what evolved into mainstream Christianity that is dogma today.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#51918 May 7, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see why now.
Some years ago I was in Denver and Aurora, the two cities were/are very close to each other, only 20-30 minutes by car so I thought Aurora was in the county of Denver.
rabbee: denver is a city and county, in it's self. but they do call denver and it's suburbs, the metro-denver area. when aurora is so large, that is it debatable, as to whom is a suburb of who.
and i do not know if this is still true today. but half of the population of colorado, lives in the denver-metro area. even the city of westminster, is larger than denver and spread out in three counties.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#51919 May 7, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
What facts do you rely on to presume that the constituton and code are applicable to me?
rabbee: you are bound by the law of the land, that you live in. and it is your responsibility to know, the law of that land. it is also your responsibility, to know if it is in alignment with your nations constitution or not. and if not, it is your responsibility to legally challenge it.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#51920 May 7, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
No immigration talk please.
How about something light, like abortion?
:)
rabbee: abortion is a, religious matter. and the government shall make no law, for or against it.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#51921 May 7, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
What/whom DO you have?
I thought you attended some sort of special church for "special" people...
You must worship someone or something.
rabbee: those who worship they self, worship the most pathetic and most dangerous of of all g-ds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Realtime 1,223,223
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 min PEllen 99,410
Amy May 3-15 15 min PEllen 1
abby may 3-15 17 min PEllen 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 41 min Ratloder 69,742
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 47 min Brian_G 52,970
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques in Orleans 187,696
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]