Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#51776 May 5, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an example of a voluntary government, the only problem is the deed restriction which couldnt happen in a voluntary society.
rabbee: well that is like saying hud, is totally voluntary because you are poor or incapacitated. as if you volunteered to be old, poor, or physically handicapped.

you make is sound as if, i volunteered to be born in this nation? when being volunteered, is not volunteering. having no other options, is not the act of volunteerism.

i actually thought, i volunteered for something once. untill i realized, i was commanded to do it. so that is not even, really volunteering.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#51777 May 5, 2013
former res wrote:
Undemocratic
Some scholars and the AARP charge that in a variety of ways HOAs suppress the rights of their residents.[17] Due to their nature as a non-governmental entity, HOA boards of directors are not bound by constitutional restrictions on governments, although they are essentially a de facto level of government.[18]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowner_assoc...
HOA vs local zoning

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/1610...

this makes the general claim that the HOA can be more restrictive, but I am pretty sure in CT this isnt always the case
Voluntarist

United States

#51778 May 5, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
But partial governments are a dime a dozen. heck, my College fraternity was a shadow government.
We were giving you an opportunity to promote your ideas as a PRACTICAL ALTERNATIVE to the type of societal organization that has been necessary, and that has been somewhat involuntary, and that has emerged over the last, say, 20000 years (I am starting my timeline with the retreat of the glaciers, I could start earlier if you wish).
You have failed.
No, you asked for an example of a voluntary government and you got one, cased closed.

I dont have a problem with goods and services a government provides, it is the idea of force that i have a problem with.
Voluntarist

United States

#51779 May 5, 2013
former res wrote:
Undemocratic
Some scholars and the AARP charge that in a variety of ways HOAs suppress the rights of their residents.[17] Due to their nature as a non-governmental entity, HOA boards of directors are not bound by constitutional restrictions on governments, although they are essentially a de facto level of government.[18]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowner_assoc...
Who cares there is no such thing as absolute rights.
JOEL

Thane, India

#51780 May 5, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>

You are exhibiting mental symptoms.
The problem with you is that you're wholly on the surface and cannot think deeply or holistically.

All this reflects your inferior intellectual capacities.

By debating with perverse, unethical, devious and unintelligent posters like FORMER RES, FRIJOLES, HUGH and the like you're degrading yourself further since they've nothing constructive to say.

LOL.

You've failed to understand the mind-matter model which can explain every idea or entity in depth since that (mind-matter) is the reality.

Now, crawl back into your hovel as you rattle your tiny brain trying to figure this one out.

(smiles)
JOEL

Thane, India

#51781 May 5, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>

I will put you out of my mind and you will disappear.
ROFL.

The idiot has failed to understand the mind-matter model which applies to everything in the universe.

LOL.
Eric

Roselle, IL

#51782 May 5, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
HOA vs local zoning
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/1610...
this makes the general claim that the HOA can be more restrictive, but I am pretty sure in CT this isnt always the case
See the cases out of Illinois where HOA rules that forbade placement of objects in corridors were ruled not to apply to mezuzah.
Eric

Roselle, IL

#51783 May 5, 2013
rather than give you court cases, here is a pretty good synopsis from wikipedia (as much as I dislike wiki, the footnotes will take you to the correct place for further info).

Location hidden

#51784 May 5, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
See the cases out of Illinois where HOA rules that forbade placement of objects in corridors were ruled not to apply to mezuzah.
what about subdivision? HAve you ever seen a case where the HOA outlawed subdivision but local zoning allowed it, and the owners were therefore allowed?
Eric

Roselle, IL

#51785 May 5, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
what about subdivision? HAve you ever seen a case where the HOA outlawed subdivision but local zoning allowed it, and the owners were therefore allowed?
are you talking about an HOA telling the owner of a lot that they can't divide it?

Location hidden

#51786 May 5, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
are you talking about an HOA telling the owner of a lot that they can't divide it?
yes
Voluntarist

United States

#51787 May 5, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL.
The idiot has failed to understand the mind-matter model which applies to everything in the universe.
LOL.
You are child like, your mind is that of a 12 year old.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51788 May 5, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the hoa is agreed upon, consent.
First when it is created the home owner has to agree and then when ownership is transferred it is a deed restriction.
The buyer is fully aware of the hoa.
OK, but what about the HOA (of which you are now a willing member) votes to do something (or make a new rule) with which you disagree?

Perhaps they decide by a majority vote that no one can wash their cars in their own driveways anymore.

What would you say then?

First offense -$100 fine.

What say you now?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51789 May 5, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares there is no such thing as absolute rights.
Maybe one of the smarter things you've said.

IMHO.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#51793 May 5, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Quality is inversely proportional to quantity.
And THAT includes the Number of posts one posts on these threads too!!

Location hidden

#51794 May 6, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why it is a farce to call it a right, it is merely a government authorized privilege.
So agree you dont have the right to bear arms?

Location hidden

#51795 May 6, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Anarchy is absolute freedom without a ruler, id there something wrong with that?
Let me ask you, is it ok for 1 person to hold a gun to another persons head to take away their property?
Yes, if it is for the greater good. There are no absolute rights, remember?

And who defines OK? Surely not "the bible" so it is a matter of interpretation/democracy.

Location hidden

#51796 May 6, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And THAT includes the Number of posts one posts on these threads too!!
Maybe one of the smarter things you have said too.

Location hidden

#51797 May 6, 2013
http://www.salon.com/2013/05/06/my_virginity_...

My virginity mistake

I took an abstinence pledge hoping it would ensure a strong marriage. Instead, it led to a quick divorce
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51798 May 6, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
The perils of a voluntary society, of course if you are negotiating a contract you should be smart enough to include an out clause.
One is included in the US constitution , not that it is a valid contract or applicable to anyone.
An hoa is an example of a voluntary society but in a true voluntary society one would pick and choose who to do business with.
You would think one that signs a contract would determine a term with an expiration date.
Yes, with great freedom comes great responsibility.

Without Mommy and Daddy (gov't) dictating our every move, we have to think from time to time.

The perils include planning for one's financial needs in retirement, negotiating financing/contracts etc.

I do actually believe in personal responsibility.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Incognito4Ever 1,223,613
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 min Cold Front 69,780
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Guru 187,749
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 56 min mdbuilder 52,996
abby may 3-15 1 hr mrs gladys kravitz 3
Amy May 3-15 3 hr mrs gladys kravitz 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Doug77 5,946
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]