Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
46,081 - 46,100 of 68,843 Comments Last updated 36 min ago
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich words coming from the guy who evades any opportunity to post a developed set of thoughts in paragraph format
- choosing instead to ask preordained questions AND to pointlessly dissect other posts line by line - destroying the forest by dwelling on the trees
noted
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo!
I was thinking like Grimm's Fairy Tales.

If some made a religion out of one of them I bet you'd
have an opinion about that!
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
How conspiracists think
New research helps explain why some see elaborate government plots behind events like 9/11 or the Boston bombings
http://www.salon.com/2013/04/30/how_conspirac...
....Interestingly, belief in conspiracy theories has recently been linked to the rejection of science.... These findings are alarming because they show that conspiracy theories sow public mistrust and undermine democratic debate by diverting attention away from important scientific, political and societal issues.......
....Since a number of studies have shown that belief in conspiracy theories is associated with feelings of powerlessness, uncertainty and a general lack of agency and control, a likely purpose of this bias is to help people “make sense of the world” by providing simple explanations for complex societal events — restoring a sense of control and predictability. A good example is that of climate change: while the most recent international scientific assessment report (receiving input from over 2500 independent scientists from more than a 100 countries) concluded with 90 percent certainty that human-induced global warming is occurring, the severe consequences and implications of climate change are often too distressing and overwhelming for people to deal with, both cognitively as well as emotionally. Resorting to easier explanations that simply discount global warming as a hoax is then of course much more comforting and convenient psychologically. Yet, as Al Gore famously pointed out, unfortunately, the truth is not always convenient....
Reminded me of Obama's comment how certain folks "cling to their guns and religions." Or something to that affect.

Many of us have needs and we meet them in different ways.

http://www.ted.com/conversations/13778/what_i...

What is the purpose of religion?

Throughout the history of man, religion has been present. Religious beliefs have affected everything from personal ethics to national politics. It has been an integral part of many societies in our past and present. However the question remains:

Religion has been presented to explain unknown intellectual problems (Comte, Tylor), to explain strong and abstract emotional feelings (Marett, Malinowski, Freud), to oppress social groups (Marx), to connect society (Durkheim), to explain arbitrary suffering (Weber), etc.
Many other purposes for religion have been theorized but no universal answer has been found.
Will a single answer ever be found? Is there only one answer?

Possible answers, further questions or any comments are welcome!
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture would be little evidence but as evidence goes it still has value , just not much. The authors are dead so if using the rules of evidence in law there would be nobody alive today to lay the foundation to submit them as evidence.
Somebodies words could be used as evidence as long as they were witness to a particular event or could testify lets say that they knew a guy named jesus, first hand knowledge.
Good answer. We have no way of knowing either way.
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture is reliable as hearsay because hearsay isnt reliable at all.
Great answer!
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont know that they werent written as fairy tales as much as you dont know that they are based on real events recorded by witnesses.
Very true but the burden of showing relevance is not on me.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

"...belief in conspiracy theories is associated with feelings of powerlessness, uncertainty and a general lack of agency and control, a likely purpose of this bias is to help people “make sense of the world” by providing simple explanations for complex societal events — restoring a sense of control and predictability....."

Sounds familiar. Keep on posting!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminded me of Obama's comment how certain folks "cling to their guns and religions." Or something to that affect.
Throughout the history of man, religion has been present. Religious beliefs have affected everything from personal ethics to national politics. It has been an integral part of many societies in our past and present. However the question remains:
Religion has been presented to explain unknown intellectual problems (Comte, Tylor), to explain strong and abstract emotional feelings (Marett, Malinowski, Freud), to oppress social groups (Marx), to connect society (Durkheim), to explain arbitrary suffering (Weber), etc.
Many other purposes for religion have been theorized but no universal answer has been found.
The purpose of religion is to explain the purpose of life. The purpose of life is life. God created mankind because she was lonely and it is Gods purpose for all of us to live past this earthly life and live forever in Heaven and then inherit the earth in the resurrection.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The purpose of religion is to explain the purpose of life. The purpose of life is life. God created mankind because she was lonely and it is Gods purpose for all of us to live past this earthly life and live forever in Heaven and then inherit the earth in the resurrection.
rabbee: oh let me guess here, your actually an athiest. and your only here to complicate, and throw your confusion into the can of worms.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
"...belief in conspiracy theories is associated with feelings of powerlessness, uncertainty and a general lack of agency and control, a likely purpose of this bias is to help people “make sense of the world” by providing simple explanations for complex societal events — restoring a sense of control and predictability....."
Sounds familiar. Keep on posting!
On other words, all good reasons to cling to one's
guns, religion and conspiracy theories.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
On other words, all good reasons to cling to one's
guns, religion and conspiracy theories.
Except for

.....These findings are alarming because they show that conspiracy theories sow public mistrust and undermine democratic debate by diverting attention away from important scientific, political and societal issues.......

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion also gives a path for those who need a focus - some way to whittle away at the time

There is no universal answer because people are all different

I do think there is a difference in substance between conspiracy theorests and religionists, though. Conspiracists, on the average, are a whole lot more of crazy. They have to be.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking like Grimm's Fairy Tales.
If some made a religion out of one of them I bet you'd
have an opinion about that!
I was focusing on the literature aspect - the morals, the archetypes and the archtypical themes....
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Joel---The words "internal logic" are invariably used by those who fail to explain their beliefs.

Hugh--- You have made many good points including the above.
You should talk to Frijoles and Former Res for the entertainment derived and not for wisdom since they have none.

This is why I asked you to stop pressing a dunce like Frijoles with serious questions which he is incapable of answering given his pathetic intellectual capacities and besides he lacks ethics and vision.

Take a look at the posts of Frijoles, Former Res, COR and other cheap, unintelligent and deceitful characters and you'll discover that their views are rubbish, complete rubbish, and besides it's also evident that they don't come from cultured families.

So, have fun at their cost and laugh at them and don't get so serious when dealing with riff raff like Frijoles and others.

Anyway, how's the ouija board exercises going?

(smiles)
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Not all conspiracies are hoaxes. In fact, I'll rather believe the conspiracy theorists in many areas than the official versions that're usually fudged or a coverup.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

TOP 3 DUNCES ON THIS THREAD:

1) MUQ

2) Frijoles

3) Eric
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

I would rather die than deal with any form of occultism.
So, expectedly, you've failed to understand the meaning of the word occult.

Look here, boy, there's nothing absolutely good or absolutely bad within the mental, vital and physical spatio-temporal conditions.

Everything within this canopy is a mixture of good and bad and this too is debatable since what appears good in certain cases may have its bad aspects under other conditions and what is considered bad under certain conditions has its good uses at times.

So stop forming rigid opinions.

Above all, I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that a thing is neither good nor bad but that its characteristics would depend on how it is perceived and to what use it is put to.

To rise beyond the dualities, one has to rise high, very high indeed in consciousness, and as expected just a handful of gifted individuals possess this exalted capacity.

Not even Jesus, Moses or Rama had this refined capacity of rising out of the dualities. You'll see that their words and actions reflect a mixture of wisdom and ignorance, benevolence and malevolence, transcendence (of a limited kind) and immanence.

Take care.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Religion also gives a path for those who need a focus - some way to whittle away at the time.

There is no universal answer because people are all different
I do think there is a difference in substance between conspiracy theorests and religionists, though. Conspiracists, on the average, are a whole lot more of crazy. They have to be.
What a stupid reply.

Everything you posted can be shown rubbish or incorrect.

You lack intelligence.

Expected.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

I would rather to admire and stare at MY bamboo...
Sex-fixated narcissist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
What a stupid reply.
Everything you posted can be shown rubbish or incorrect.
You lack intelligence.
Expected.
You remind me of a little kid pining for attention

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

JOEL wrote:
Not all conspiracies are hoaxes. In fact, I'll rather believe the conspiracy theorists in many areas than the official versions that're usually fudged or a coverup.
says the guy who wasted the last few years in a cult
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

(smiles smiles smiles)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flash Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 5:30AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••