Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
46,061 - 46,080 of 68,430 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Ylang Ylang essential oil is simply awesome with its combination of floral and woody top notes.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, sir.
<quoted text>
My whole point in being a non-believer is to admit the unknown and the unknowable.
So I also wouldn't agree with "believing that I know everything." Quite the opposite.
But I would also disagree with you, ATF.
It seems you do have an opinion. You either believe there's a god or you don't.
This is why for years I wouldn't call myself my an atheist, instead preferring the less committal term agnostic.
Eventually it was pointed out to me that I either believed or I didn't.
I would say besides scriptures which is reliable as hearsay i do not see any evidence of god but, I am in no way close minded to the thought that there is a supreme being,, a grand architect.

There is way too much in life to know and by the time you finish getting to know who you are dead
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Rentals in the elite areas of South Mumbai are quite high. In Cuffe Parade, the monthly rental for a spacious 4 bedroom apartment ranges from $ 20,000 to $ 25,000 per month plus a refundable deposit of around $ 30,000 is taken from the lessee. The broker handles the entire deal. I've leased my 4 bedroom Cuffe Parade apartment for 3 years to an international bank who'll use the place as a guest-house for their short-term overseas visitors. The apartment is haunted and holds sad memories for me. Altamount Road, where I've shifted to, is swankier than Cuffe Parade. I want peace and a place to recover from the serious damage of the past.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

The Ezras are now my neighbors in Altamount Road.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

This shabbath the Ezras and I are scheduled to visit a quaint synagogue, Shaar Hashameim, Gate of Heaven, in suburban Mumbai where a sizable Jewish population comprising Baghdadi Jews and Bene Jews have settled. The senior Ezras have asked me to light 3 Yarzheit candles in memory of my late parents and late sister, Tina. I'm dead against hollow rituals and rely on a healthy combination of physical proof, intuition, higher logic and direct transcendental experiences. Shalom.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Voluntarist's mind is choc-a-bloc with conspiracies and vain imaginations on a variety of subjects over which he has little or no grasp. Anyway, he's kind, courteous and a bit open-minded.
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare

(smiles)
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Hueeeeeks, where art thou? Fiddling with your oijua board? Come online, Mon.

(laughs)
JOEL

Thane, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

typo - ouija, not oijua.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former---I simply asked whether you find your evidence to be strong.
HughBe--- I have found that Frijoles encounters major challenges when it comes time for him to explain his words, thoughts or beliefs.
Rich words coming from the guy who evades any opportunity to post a developed set of thoughts in paragraph format

- choosing instead to ask preordained questions AND to pointlessly dissect other posts line by line - destroying the forest by dwelling on the trees
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say besides scriptures which is reliable as hearsay i do not see any evidence of god but, I am in no way close minded to the thought that there is a supreme being,, a grand architect.
There is way too much in life to know and by the time you finish getting to know who you are dead
To paraphrase Socrates, "All I know is that I know nothing."

I too am open-minded which is why I resisted the atheist label for s long. It's too important to get this wrong.

But it's currently unknown and likely unknowable.

Two questions for you:

You say that "besides scripture" you see no evidence of god. Does this mean you consider scripture to be evidence of god?

And why do you consider scripture to be "reliable as hearsay?" How do you know these weren't written as fairy tales? Why couldn't they simply be ancient literature

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's interesting that you think religion (and belief therein) is anything BUT complicated.(Though I don't really believe that's what you think.)
You said my evidence on the gun issue was weak. I simply asked whether you consider own evidence to be weak (or strong). Obviously you'd be using your own standards, not mine.
Equally obvious is the subjective nature of all of this.

Clearly you find your evidence strong enough to make you a believer - you binary switch of belief is in the "on" position.
I simply asked whether you find your evidence to be strong.
Do you not concur that the strength or weight of evidence (regardless of who is evaluating it) can be judged on continuum?
You DO understand that your earlier post had two topics - 1) nature of evidence and 2) my view on atheism

I never got to the second part. Here....

Under modern standards - feelings are weak evidence. Under relgious standards they are stronger. And from a personal perspective, I dont weigh much credibility with feelings, however experiences through meditation and the like are a whole other story...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Hey - I thought I was the one making it too "complicated!"
<quoted text>
Eat me.
:))
You were kind of making the earlier issue complicated once it was reduced to a set of standards. Standards simplify things.
However, the greater discussion, without getting bogged down to assigning probabilities, is a very complicated topic, oversimplified, IMO by certain fundies who like to babble scripture as the ANSWER to it all without examining the nature of the question and its underlying assumptions and pre conceived concepts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Why couldn't they simply be ancient literature
Bingo!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>

How conspiracists think

New research helps explain why some see elaborate government plots behind events like 9/11 or the Boston bombings

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/30/how_conspirac...

....Interestingly, belief in conspiracy theories has recently been linked to the rejection of science.... These findings are alarming because they show that conspiracy theories sow public mistrust and undermine democratic debate by diverting attention away from important scientific, political and societal issues.......

....Since a number of studies have shown that belief in conspiracy theories is associated with feelings of powerlessness, uncertainty and a general lack of agency and control, a likely purpose of this bias is to help people “make sense of the world” by providing simple explanations for complex societal events — restoring a sense of control and predictability. A good example is that of climate change: while the most recent international scientific assessment report (receiving input from over 2500 independent scientists from more than a 100 countries) concluded with 90 percent certainty that human-induced global warming is occurring, the severe consequences and implications of climate change are often too distressing and overwhelming for people to deal with, both cognitively as well as emotionally. Resorting to easier explanations that simply discount global warming as a hoax is then of course much more comforting and convenient psychologically. Yet, as Al Gore famously pointed out, unfortunately, the truth is not always convenient....

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
How strong is your evidence of this?
Or is it just a feeling you have?
I promise you this, send me a beautiful woman and she shall bear witness to the truth of which I speak.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
To paraphrase Socrates, "All I know is that I know nothing."
I too am open-minded which is why I resisted the atheist label for s long. It's too important to get this wrong.
But it's currently unknown and likely unknowable.
Two questions for you:
You say that "besides scripture" you see no evidence of god. Does this mean you consider scripture to be evidence of god?
And why do you consider scripture to be "reliable as hearsay?" How do you know these weren't written as fairy tales? Why couldn't they simply be ancient literature
Scripture would be little evidence but as evidence goes it still has value , just not much. The authors are dead so if using the rules of evidence in law there would be nobody alive today to lay the foundation to submit them as evidence.
Somebodies words could be used as evidence as long as they were witness to a particular event or could testify lets say that they knew a guy named jesus, first hand knowledge.

Scripture is reliable as hearsay because hearsay isnt reliable at all.

I dont know that they werent written as fairy tales as much as you dont know that they are based on real events recorded by witnesses.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

JOEL wrote:
Hueeeeeks, where art thou? Fiddling with your oijua board? Come online, Mon.
(laughs)
I would rather fondle the opposite pole than to delve into such BS.

I would rather die than deal with any form of occultism.

I would rather to admire and stare at MY bamboo than to deal with the occult.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You DO understand that your earlier post had two topics - 1) nature of evidence and 2) my view on atheism
I never got to the second part. Here....
Under modern standards - feelings are weak evidence. Under relgious standards they are stronger. And from a personal perspective, I dont weigh much credibility with feelings, however experiences through meditation and the like are a whole other story...
I won't press further.

We all need our personal space and time and experiences.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Why bother Frijoles with such issues when it's evident that he's a dogmatist and knows nothing about the reality via direct experiences.
When a man (Frijoles) says, as he once said to me many years ago, that the soul is the life-force or that the highest reality is the life-force take it for granted that he's an ignorant person and is simply quoting ignorant scripture.
Even those ignorant prophets who he reveres equated the highest reality with the life force and so they would not know that the life force is simply an aspect of the vital consciousness-force and manifests in a pentuple movement as it penetrates matter and besides those violent and shallow prophets were ignorant of the numerous supra-vital planes and had little knowledge of the infra-vital planes and of the true vital plane as well - their minor experiences extended to exclusively the lower vital planes of the adverse kind. LOL.
The words "internal logic" are invariably used by those who fail to explain their beliefs.
They escape being taken to task with this phrase "internal logic" which means actually means nothing - even an idiot or an insane man can say that his method has an "internal logic" knowable only to him or to people like him. LMAO.
See, instinct is exceeded by reason, reason is exceeded by intuition.
When an intuition is true it will, on close scrutiny, always be supported by instinct and reason from below with there being no contradictions.
Joel---The words "internal logic" are invariably used by those who fail to explain their beliefs.

Hugh--- You have made many good points including the above.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

40 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min j rocker 1,083,014
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min LRS 175,056
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 21 min Subliminal 45,866
Six-year-old girl watches in horror as police '... 31 min hands on AR 7
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 35 min hands on AR 21
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr raphael 3,841
Tax Squeal report tax fraud: Oklahoma Doctor Se... 2 hr peytwatson025 1
Abby 7-29 6 hr j_m_w 16
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr Sublime1 97,573
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••