Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
45,541 - 45,560 of 68,436 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Apr 13

Sao Paolo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50827
Apr 17, 2013
 
It's not only Messianic Jews who are persecuted in Israel. Christians and Muslims also get discriminated against.
Eric

South Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50828
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
It's not only Messianic Jews who are persecuted in Israel. Christians and Muslims also get discriminated against.
really? Can we talk about persecution of women, gays and the physically challenged in Malawi?

Since: Apr 13

Sao Paolo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50829
Apr 17, 2013
 
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
really? Can we talk about persecution of women, gays and the physically challenged in Malawi?
Yes we can talk about that if you want to but the only problem is that I'm not a Malawian =) I just live here. I'm originally from Brazil where people of all colors and groups are treated well unlike your israel

Since: Apr 13

Sao Paolo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50830
Apr 17, 2013
 
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
really? Can we talk about persecution of women, gays and the physically challenged in Malawi?
You don't have a right to condemn me for a country's society if I do not come from that country. Let us compare my Brazil and your israel and israel will end up looking like the 4th reich

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50831
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we can talk about that if you want to but the only problem is that I'm not a Malawian =) I just live here. I'm originally from Brazil where people of all colors and groups are treated well unlike your israel
Excuse me?

The land of the Amazon where all Indians are allowed to live according to ancestral rights, with no territorial infringement or discrimination by the state?

Charity begins at home. So does native rights. Then when your house is order, you will have the moral standing to opine on others.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50832
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a right to condemn me for a country's society if I do not come from that country. Let us compare my Brazil and your israel and israel will end up looking like the 4th reich
Are you hopelessly naive? Or do you just hate Jews?

Persecution on Indians in Brazil

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-...

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50833
Apr 17, 2013
 
http://www.yale.edu/gsp/amazon/arara_indians....

Arara Indians fight bullets and bulldozers

Arara Indians in Brazilian Amazonia are fighting for their survival against waves of armed loggers, ranchers and colonists who are destroying their forest homeland. The situation is so volatile that the Arara dare not hunt further than 10 kilometres from their village. Traditional hunting trips, where men go off for days in search of game, are impossible as the Indians will not risk sleeping in the forest at night. Imprisoned within their own land, one Arara described leading ëa life of terror' as the forest echoes to the constant roar of chainsaws felling mahogany and other valuable hardwoods.

Government officials have reportedly surveyed the Arara territory (called Cachoeira Seca) with the aim of reducing its size and handing out tracts of the land to loggers and settlers. It has not yet been demarcated (physically mapped out with markers) by the government. The Bannach logging company bulldozed a road through the territory in the 1980s and now land grabbers and loggers are opening up feeder roads and penetrating deeper into Arara land......

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50834
Apr 17, 2013
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil

The land now called Brazil was claimed by Portugal in April 1500, on the arrival of the Portuguese fleet commanded by Pedro Álvares Cabral.[30] The Portuguese encountered stone age natives divided into several tribes, most of whom spoke languages of the Tupi–Guarani family, and fought among themselves.[31] Though the first settlement was founded in 1532, colonization was effectively begun in 1534, when King Dom João III of Portugal divided the territory into twelve hereditary captaincies.[32][33]

This arrangement proved problematic, and in 1549 the king assigned a Governor-General to administer the entire colony.[33][34] The Portuguese assimilated some of the native tribes[35] while others were enslaved or exterminated in long wars or by European diseases to which they had no immunity.[36][37] By the mid-16th century, sugar had become Brazil's most important export[31][38] and the Portuguese imported African slaves[39][40] to cope with the increasing international demand.[36][41]....

Since: Apr 13

Sao Paolo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50835
Apr 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me?
The land of the Amazon where all Indians are allowed to live according to ancestral rights, with no territorial infringement or discrimination by the state?
Charity begins at home. So does native rights. Then when your house is order, you will have the moral standing to opine on others.
You can only rant and mask such rants using intellectual language but the truth is that you will not find any cases of ethnic discrimination between people in Brazil.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50836
Apr 17, 2013
 
Assessment for Amazonian Indians in Brazil
UNHCR

http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwm...

Indians are not considered full Brazilian citizens, which has allowed non-indigenous people to discriminate against them as "less than full people." Such social prejudices have contributed to violence between the two groups. Violence against the indigenous appears likely to persist, as does indigenous mobilization against ranchers and settlers on their territories. Likewise, non-indigenous people are mobilizing against the Indians in these areas.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50837
Apr 17, 2013
 
I think you get the idea

or you should...

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50838
Apr 17, 2013
 
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree I try to ignore the Stamford advocate, but it's there today
I havent seen the paper edition in years.

Every so often they give out freebies and it goes in the recycling bn along with the yearly free phonebooks

Since: Apr 13

Sao Paolo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50839
Apr 17, 2013
 
Frijoles wrote:
Assessment for Amazonian Indians in Brazil
UNHCR
http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwm...
Indians are not considered full Brazilian citizens, which has allowed non-indigenous people to discriminate against them as "less than full people." Such social prejudices have contributed to violence between the two groups. Violence against the indigenous appears likely to persist, as does indigenous mobilization against ranchers and settlers on their territories. Likewise, non-indigenous people are mobilizing against the Indians in these areas.
My friend, I am not talking about small technical discrimination such as Indians in Brazil not being legally recognized as fully Brazilian. I am talking about racism. In Brazil you will not find this. A large portion of Brazil's population is mixed white and Indian, hence the nice brown skin color of many Brazilians. The fact that the government does not recognize Indians as full citizens is irrelevant to the fact that there is no racism in Brazilian society. Israel, on the other hand is well known for settler attacks against innocent Arab civilians in the west bank areas such as Hebron,let us not forget about the official poll which revealed that most Israelis would support apartheid policies against Arabs( check on google) and the discrimination against Ethiopians.
Eric

South Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50840
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, I am not talking about small technical discrimination such as Indians in Brazil not being legally recognized as fully Brazilian. I am talking about racism. In Brazil you will not find this.
This project is a small example of a much broader re-evaluation of race in Brazil. The pervasiveness of slavery, the lateness of its abolition, and the fact that nothing was done to turn former slaves into citizens all combined to have a profound impact on Brazilian society. They are reasons for the extreme socioeconomic inequality that still scars the country today.

Race in Brazil
Affirming a divide
The Economist Jan 28th 2012
http://www.economist.com/node/21543494
Eric

South Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50841
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
It's not only Messianic Jews who are persecuted in Israel. Christians and Muslims also get discriminated against.
btw, messianics are Christians

Since: Apr 13

Sao Paolo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50842
Apr 17, 2013
 
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
This project is a small example of a much broader re-evaluation of race in Brazil. The pervasiveness of slavery, the lateness of its abolition, and the fact that nothing was done to turn former slaves into citizens all combined to have a profound impact on Brazilian society. They are reasons for the extreme socioeconomic inequality that still scars the country today.
Race in Brazil
Affirming a divide
The Economist Jan 28th 2012
http://www.economist.com/node/21543494
without any cases, that all means nothing and must be taken with a pinch of salt. Still it does not prove that there is racism as there is in Israel. you won't find any cases. wheras i can find you thousands of cases of racist incidents in israel.

read this article
http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/jerusalem-vivend...
Eric

South Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50843
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
without any cases, that all means nothing and must be taken with a pinch of salt. Still it does not prove that there is racism as there is in Israel. you won't find any cases. wheras i can find you thousands of cases of racist incidents in israel.
read this article
http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/jerusalem-vivend...
So, institutional racism does not count in your book. It's ok if all of the Black former slaves are discriminated against.
Eric

South Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50844
Apr 17, 2013
 
Skinhead Gang in Brazil Attacks Black and Almost Beats Policeman to Death
Tuesday, 10 June 2008
Another scene of violence shocked Brazil this past Sunday, June 8. A group of 15 men attacked and almost beat to death a police officer at one of the most boisterous areas of the Brazilian southeast city of São Paulo: Augusta Street, close to Paulista Avenue, one of the town's major financial districts.
The brutality occurred, when a young Afro-Brazilian walking down Augusta Street around 4 am was surrounded by skinheads, a neo-Nazi group. After being called "n word [topix censored]" by his aggressors, the victim was attacked. A local police officer,who was in the area at the moment of the attack, tried to intervene, with no luck.
The police official was brutally attacked by the gang, who carried weapons including a metal bar. His face was completely disfigured following the episode. A cyclist, who was passing by during the incident, immediately called the local police station. Only five gang members ended up being arrested. Every one of them had a previous criminal record.
It is not the first time an incident of this nature has occurred in São Paulo. In February 2007, University professor Alessandro Ferreira de Araújo was also a victim of the skinhead violence, that time for being homosexual.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50845
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, I am not talking about small technical discrimination such as Indians in Brazil not being legally recognized as fully Brazilian. I am talking about racism. In Brazil you will not find this. A large portion of Brazil's population is mixed white and Indian, hence the nice brown skin color of many Brazilians. The fact that the government does not recognize Indians as full citizens is irrelevant to the fact that there is no racism in Brazilian society. Israel, on the other hand is well known for settler attacks against innocent Arab civilians in the west bank areas such as Hebron,let us not forget about the official poll which revealed that most Israelis would support apartheid policies against Arabs( check on google) and the discrimination against Ethiopians.
Small technical discrimination? Not being recognized as having the same rights as your fellow citizens because of your ethnicity, and being thrown off your land to boot?

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50847
Apr 17, 2013
 
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
without any cases, that all means nothing and must be taken with a pinch of salt. Still it does not prove that there is racism as there is in Israel. you won't find any cases. wheras i can find you thousands of cases of racist incidents in israel.
read this article
http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/jerusalem-vivend...
But there IS racism in Brazil. You are just too privileged to see it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

90 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min harmonious 1,083,250
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 28 min Dale 175,088
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 40 min litesong 45,875
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 58 min Terry rigsby 48,997
Amy 7-30 1 hr RACE 8
Abby 7-30 1 hr Mister Tonka 7
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 3 hr newpoly 1,867
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 hr edogxxx 97,574
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••