Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,988
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#50833 Apr 17, 2013
http://www.yale.edu/gsp/amazon/arara_indians....

Arara Indians fight bullets and bulldozers

Arara Indians in Brazilian Amazonia are fighting for their survival against waves of armed loggers, ranchers and colonists who are destroying their forest homeland. The situation is so volatile that the Arara dare not hunt further than 10 kilometres from their village. Traditional hunting trips, where men go off for days in search of game, are impossible as the Indians will not risk sleeping in the forest at night. Imprisoned within their own land, one Arara described leading ëa life of terror' as the forest echoes to the constant roar of chainsaws felling mahogany and other valuable hardwoods.

Government officials have reportedly surveyed the Arara territory (called Cachoeira Seca) with the aim of reducing its size and handing out tracts of the land to loggers and settlers. It has not yet been demarcated (physically mapped out with markers) by the government. The Bannach logging company bulldozed a road through the territory in the 1980s and now land grabbers and loggers are opening up feeder roads and penetrating deeper into Arara land......

Location hidden

#50834 Apr 17, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil

The land now called Brazil was claimed by Portugal in April 1500, on the arrival of the Portuguese fleet commanded by Pedro Álvares Cabral.[30] The Portuguese encountered stone age natives divided into several tribes, most of whom spoke languages of the Tupi–Guarani family, and fought among themselves.[31] Though the first settlement was founded in 1532, colonization was effectively begun in 1534, when King Dom João III of Portugal divided the territory into twelve hereditary captaincies.[32][33]

This arrangement proved problematic, and in 1549 the king assigned a Governor-General to administer the entire colony.[33][34] The Portuguese assimilated some of the native tribes[35] while others were enslaved or exterminated in long wars or by European diseases to which they had no immunity.[36][37] By the mid-16th century, sugar had become Brazil's most important export[31][38] and the Portuguese imported African slaves[39][40] to cope with the increasing international demand.[36][41]....

Since: Apr 13

Sao Paolo, Brazil

#50835 Apr 17, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me?
The land of the Amazon where all Indians are allowed to live according to ancestral rights, with no territorial infringement or discrimination by the state?
Charity begins at home. So does native rights. Then when your house is order, you will have the moral standing to opine on others.
You can only rant and mask such rants using intellectual language but the truth is that you will not find any cases of ethnic discrimination between people in Brazil.

Location hidden

#50836 Apr 17, 2013
Assessment for Amazonian Indians in Brazil
UNHCR

http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwm...

Indians are not considered full Brazilian citizens, which has allowed non-indigenous people to discriminate against them as "less than full people." Such social prejudices have contributed to violence between the two groups. Violence against the indigenous appears likely to persist, as does indigenous mobilization against ranchers and settlers on their territories. Likewise, non-indigenous people are mobilizing against the Indians in these areas.

Location hidden

#50837 Apr 17, 2013
I think you get the idea

or you should...

Location hidden

#50838 Apr 17, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree I try to ignore the Stamford advocate, but it's there today
I havent seen the paper edition in years.

Every so often they give out freebies and it goes in the recycling bn along with the yearly free phonebooks

Sao Paolo, Brazil

#50839 Apr 17, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Assessment for Amazonian Indians in Brazil
UNHCR
http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwm...
Indians are not considered full Brazilian citizens, which has allowed non-indigenous people to discriminate against them as "less than full people." Such social prejudices have contributed to violence between the two groups. Violence against the indigenous appears likely to persist, as does indigenous mobilization against ranchers and settlers on their territories. Likewise, non-indigenous people are mobilizing against the Indians in these areas.
My friend, I am not talking about small technical discrimination such as Indians in Brazil not being legally recognized as fully Brazilian. I am talking about racism. In Brazil you will not find this. A large portion of Brazil's population is mixed white and Indian, hence the nice brown skin color of many Brazilians. The fact that the government does not recognize Indians as full citizens is irrelevant to the fact that there is no racism in Brazilian society. Israel, on the other hand is well known for settler attacks against innocent Arab civilians in the west bank areas such as Hebron,let us not forget about the official poll which revealed that most Israelis would support apartheid policies against Arabs( check on google) and the discrimination against Ethiopians.
Eric

South Elgin, IL

#50840 Apr 17, 2013
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, I am not talking about small technical discrimination such as Indians in Brazil not being legally recognized as fully Brazilian. I am talking about racism. In Brazil you will not find this.
This project is a small example of a much broader re-evaluation of race in Brazil. The pervasiveness of slavery, the lateness of its abolition, and the fact that nothing was done to turn former slaves into citizens all combined to have a profound impact on Brazilian society. They are reasons for the extreme socioeconomic inequality that still scars the country today.

Race in Brazil
Affirming a divide
The Economist Jan 28th 2012
http://www.economist.com/node/21543494
Eric

South Elgin, IL

#50841 Apr 17, 2013
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
It's not only Messianic Jews who are persecuted in Israel. Christians and Muslims also get discriminated against.
btw, messianics are Christians

Sao Paolo, Brazil

#50842 Apr 17, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
This project is a small example of a much broader re-evaluation of race in Brazil. The pervasiveness of slavery, the lateness of its abolition, and the fact that nothing was done to turn former slaves into citizens all combined to have a profound impact on Brazilian society. They are reasons for the extreme socioeconomic inequality that still scars the country today.
Race in Brazil
Affirming a divide
The Economist Jan 28th 2012
http://www.economist.com/node/21543494
without any cases, that all means nothing and must be taken with a pinch of salt. Still it does not prove that there is racism as there is in Israel. you won't find any cases. wheras i can find you thousands of cases of racist incidents in israel.

read this article
http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/jerusalem-vivend...
Eric

South Elgin, IL

#50843 Apr 17, 2013
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
without any cases, that all means nothing and must be taken with a pinch of salt. Still it does not prove that there is racism as there is in Israel. you won't find any cases. wheras i can find you thousands of cases of racist incidents in israel.
read this article
So, institutional racism does not count in your book. It's ok if all of the Black former slaves are discriminated against.
Eric

South Elgin, IL

#50844 Apr 17, 2013
Skinhead Gang in Brazil Attacks Black and Almost Beats Policeman to Death
Tuesday, 10 June 2008
Another scene of violence shocked Brazil this past Sunday, June 8. A group of 15 men attacked and almost beat to death a police officer at one of the most boisterous areas of the Brazilian southeast city of São Paulo: Augusta Street, close to Paulista Avenue, one of the town's major financial districts.
The brutality occurred, when a young Afro-Brazilian walking down Augusta Street around 4 am was surrounded by skinheads, a neo-Nazi group. After being called "n word [topix censored]" by his aggressors, the victim was attacked. A local police officer,who was in the area at the moment of the attack, tried to intervene, with no luck.
The police official was brutally attacked by the gang, who carried weapons including a metal bar. His face was completely disfigured following the episode. A cyclist, who was passing by during the incident, immediately called the local police station. Only five gang members ended up being arrested. Every one of them had a previous criminal record.
It is not the first time an incident of this nature has occurred in São Paulo. In February 2007, University professor Alessandro Ferreira de Araújo was also a victim of the skinhead violence, that time for being homosexual.

Location hidden

#50845 Apr 17, 2013
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, I am not talking about small technical discrimination such as Indians in Brazil not being legally recognized as fully Brazilian. I am talking about racism. In Brazil you will not find this. A large portion of Brazil's population is mixed white and Indian, hence the nice brown skin color of many Brazilians. The fact that the government does not recognize Indians as full citizens is irrelevant to the fact that there is no racism in Brazilian society. Israel, on the other hand is well known for settler attacks against innocent Arab civilians in the west bank areas such as Hebron,let us not forget about the official poll which revealed that most Israelis would support apartheid policies against Arabs( check on google) and the discrimination against Ethiopians.
Small technical discrimination? Not being recognized as having the same rights as your fellow citizens because of your ethnicity, and being thrown off your land to boot?

Location hidden

#50847 Apr 17, 2013
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
read this article
But there IS racism in Brazil. You are just too privileged to see it.
Eric

South Elgin, IL

#50848 Apr 17, 2013
This is a citation for the first incident:

http://www.brazzilmag.com/component/content/a...
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#50849 Apr 17, 2013
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
It's not only Messianic Jews who are persecuted in Israel. Christians and Muslims also get discriminated against.
rabbee: everyone who resides in Ysrael, is being persecuted and targeted by muslems. so what's, your point?

Location hidden

#50850 Apr 17, 2013
Mariana DM 1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
read this article
"When an Arab attacks a Jew, he’s a terrorist, he’s been taught to hate. When a Jew attacks an Arab, he’s just a loner, an oddball, a bad egg..."

Poppy cock. You are cherry picking your articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_religious...

"....According to a study by the political scientist Noemi Gal-Or, since the creation of Israel, Jewish terrorism has been assessed as "far less significant" than Arab terrorism.[8] It lasted a few years during the 1950s and was directed at internal Israel-Jewish targets, not at the Israeli Arab population.[8] There was then a long intermission until the 1980s, when the Jewish Underground was exposed.[8]

It has been suggested that a striking similarity between the Jewish groups, and jihad networks in Western democracies is their alienation and isolation from the values of the majority, mainstream culture, which they view as an existential threat to their own community. Other similarities between these groups are that their terrorist ideology is not exclusively religious, as it attempts to achieve political, territorial and nationalistic goals as well, e.g. the disruption of the Camp David accords. However, the newer of these Jewish groups have tended to emphasise religious motives for their actions at the expense of secular ones. In the case of Jewish terrorism most networks consist of religious Zionists and ultra-orthodox Jews living in isolated, homogenous communities.[9]

The following groups have been considered religious terrorist organizations in Israel:..."

Location hidden

#50851 Apr 17, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
btw, messianics are Christians
She is also confusing the issue of persecution (Messianic Christians) with discrimination (Christians and Arabs). The two are related but definitely not necessarily the same.

Usual inflammation of words to exaggerate a point
Voluntarist

United States

#50852 Apr 17, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I havent seen the paper edition in years.
Every so often they give out freebies and it goes in the recycling bn along with the yearly free phonebooks
In any case it's in the Stamford advocate
Voluntarist

United States

#50853 Apr 17, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
So, institutional racism does not count in your book. It's ok if all of the Black former slaves are discriminated against.
Do you think it's ok that the fourth amendment be violated as long as they violate everyone's privacy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Some Valid Points 21 min Rest of the story 1
How to make a woman squirtting 43 min GuGu 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Guru 181,710
im single black hndsome 1 hr ligolyser 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr shinningelectr0n 1,153,060
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 2 hr Silk 81
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 9 hr Sublime1 19
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web