Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72043 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#47695 Jan 24, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
"So I guess my detector on God is that whenever someone uses what they feel as evidence instead of what they think as evidence or what they can prove as evidence, I’m very, very skeptical. The most important thing is to feel about things you feel about — should feel about — and think about things you should think about. You should not feel about the speed of light or evolution and you should not think about love. You should feel “I love you,” you should think about reality. And when someone says they feel the universe was created by a God, that’s nonsense, just like saying, you know,“I’ve thought about it and maybe I should love you.” Don’t mix those two." - Penn Jillette
Defining the rules of evidence. Thats fine. Science goes even further with that.

That said, feelings are for expression, thoughts are for thinking.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47696 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Others (like me) create meaning for their lives on their own, but still accept a God notion. There is that middle ground too.
rabbee: would that be, lukewarm or lukefrigid? chief in-vest-a-gator! clue-so.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#47698 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
Furthermore, I am fine with the idea that for me it is possible that no meaning comes from God and yet there still is God.
It is clear that the fundies are not very flexible or imaginative with their thinking. But we knew that already.
Phew...for a minute there, I thought the cold was affecting my reading comprehension.

Location hidden

#47699 Jan 24, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
I know about ritual purity and the like though I wonder why certain animals are not to be eaten as for instance why the meat of camel, swine, crab or rabbit meat (both treif) is any less healthy than cow or goat meat, while others can be killed and consumed and I also wonder about the logic behind the injunction that certain foods accompanied by certain other food items are also not permissible like meat and dairy cannot be mixed.
How sensible from the logical, scientific or mystical perspectives are any of these rules?
Thats because you are making the same "mistake" as the Christian fundamentalists make. You are reading passages literally. Jews dont do that. They look for ways to APPLY the passage.

Kosher is a system. It involves creating boundaries. Between the sacred and the profane. Sure you can argue the content of those boundaries or what is within those boundaries but you are missing the meaning behind the process.

By creating boundaries, and observing them, you are raising your state of consciousness (or what you might call your spiritual level) during the act of eating.

Kosher doesnt just involve foods, it also involves proper conduct during the meal as well. As well as blessing and after the meal - which further raises your consciousness of inhabiting and performing within a sacred process and space.
former res

Broomall, PA

#47701 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
No question it was drivel. But I was merely trying to take the edge out of the conversation. Sure Hughbe often posts demeaning and insulting verbiage, but that latest exchange was a little less so (more humorous than anything), and my responses were more towards ribbing.
It was always a favorite word of my dear old mother.

I appreciate his humor but not to the extent that he uses it to dodge his own statements.

In his responses to us he will quote our exchanges back to the flood but conveniently forgets his own silly comments.

Humor is great. But one also needs to decide if one wants to be taken serously day-to-day.

Location hidden

#47702 Jan 24, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: would that be, lukewarm or lukefrigid? chief in-vest-a-gator! clue-so.
you get a gold star for that pink panther reference.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47704 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing more violent in this world then watching your veggies in a food processor.
rabbee: is it kosher, to mix vegies like that? and i do not listen to orchastras, for the same reason. too much violins, mixed in for me. when i, prefer sax.

Location hidden

#47707 Jan 24, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>

Food choice is determined by the state of consciousness one is in.
Absolutely.

And Kosher is a spiritual technology to be employed to raise one's state of consciousness to a more mindful (i.e. spiritual) level.

Most of Judaisms "props" work the same way. Prayershawls, phylacteries etc etc

Location hidden

#47708 Jan 24, 2013
<quoted text>
rabbee: is it kosher, to mix vegies like that? and i do not listen to orchastras, for the same reason. too much violins, mixed in for me. when i, prefer sax.
Its ok unless you want to wear them. Then it might violate Shatnez.

Personally, I cut my veggies myself.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47712 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Defining the rules of evidence. Thats fine. Science goes even further with that.
That said, feelings are for expression, thoughts are for thinking.
rabbee: yes! indoctrination, tries to exclude thinking. since they generally, are not compatable for educational reasons.

as einstein said something like: the only thing that interferred with his creativity, was his schooling.

but can science, really explain why atoms. are constantly searching for their, only true moly-cule mate. and that even atoms, have both male and female. has both donors and receptors, so let there be de-light...
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#47714 Jan 24, 2013
Pssst
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#47715 Jan 24, 2013
My replies have disappeared....

Location hidden

#47719 Jan 24, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Topix does that sometimes. It did it to MUQ awhile back. I am sorry. Maybe it will reemerge, but probably not.

Location hidden

#47720 Jan 24, 2013
Too bad - as I was looking forward to reading them.

Location hidden

#47721 Jan 24, 2013
<quoted text>
rabbee: yes! indoctrination, tries to exclude thinking. since they generally, are not compatable for educational reasons.
as einstein said something like: the only thing that interferred with his creativity, was his schooling.
I was a lousy student in school, but always very interested.
<quoted text>but can science, really explain why atoms. are constantly searching for their, only true moly-cule mate. and that even atoms, have both male and female. has both donors and receptors, so let there be de-light...
artful expression!
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47722 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Its ok unless you want to wear them. Then it might violate Shatnez.
Personally, I cut my veggies myself.
rabbee: so your advice is, to not get caught-in wool? nor all-h-goreicall, mix and match blender g-ds either?
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47724 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Too bad - as I was looking forward to reading them.
rabbee: oh! really now, really were you? or are you just being, pee-see-shush again.

Location hidden

#47725 Jan 24, 2013
<quoted text>
rabbee: so your advice is, to not get caught-in wool? nor all-h-goreicall, mix and match blender g-ds either?
Interestingly, shatnez does not apply to ritual items. So you could conceivably wear your cucumber/carrot mixture to synagogue.

Location hidden

#47727 Jan 24, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Joel, have you registered with Topix? I did a few weeks ago finally. Maybe that will keep you from getting bounced.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47728 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a lousy student in school, but always very interested.
<quoted text>
artful expression!
rabbee: yeah but were the indoctrinated answers, they expected to see. the real answers to their question, they did not want to see? how do i answer this, right according to them? or right according, to G-D? cause if i answer it right according to G-D, they are definatly going to mark it wrong. and what would my neighbors say then, about me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Aquarius-wy 1,459,819
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 55 min Go Blue Forever 104,548
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr honeymylove 2,760
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr WelbyMD 231,174
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr honeymylove 1,974
The Color of Crime in Chicago. 1 hr Earl 20
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Into The Night 62,343

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages