Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,986
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#45437 Dec 13, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes - but culture is a part of ethnicity. And as long as you consider yourself Irish (even if you dont look/act Irish (whatever that means) AND you have the famly history, you ARE Irish. But if you forget you are Irish, and noone "reminds" you, you are no longer Irish, ethnically/culturally or otherwise.
These things dont always fall into perfect boxes. But they are not that complicated either.
When I was young I remember going to Jewish youthgroup conferences where they sat around at a table trying to decide whether we were Jewish Americans or American Jews. People get PhDs on these types of topics, but are they really usefull at that level of detail? I never thought so.
I should have said "genetically or biologically" -

I think they've checked people's DNA and were able to tell from where and who they descended.

Like, even if someone was raised by wolves, you could look at them and tell who "their people" were. Not all the time, but sometimes.

Sometimes I might think someone looks Greek or something, and they turn out be Italian or Jewish - not an exact science.

My pastey Irish skin could also look British or whatever.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#45438 Dec 13, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What hangs him up is that in the bible, there is no such thing as Gay identity, only gay behavior
By the same token, the bible doesnt say there ISNT gay identity, it just doesnt get into that level of detail.
And Huggie, as a fundie, doesnt expound on what ISNT said - his world is bounded by the literalness of what IS said.
Wow!

The poor guy.

And no doubt he is convinced that these are the words of his god as recorded by man.

Can anyone say "gullible?"

How sad to base all your thoughts and opinions on a series of stories and pronouncements.

Talk about shaky ground.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#45439 Dec 13, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have said "genetically or biologically" -
I think they've checked people's DNA and were able to tell from where and who they descended.
Like, even if someone was raised by wolves, you could look at them and tell who "their people" were. Not all the time, but sometimes.
Sometimes I might think someone looks Greek or something, and they turn out be Italian or Jewish - not an exact science.
My pastey Irish skin could also look British or whatever.
We all have to come from somewhere. But we dont have to carry the identity baggage (though often we do).

If you are genetically Irish, but do not feel Irish, or see yourself as Irish, nor are really conscious of your genetics, then By Molly - you are probably not Irish anymore.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#45440 Dec 13, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
The poor guy.
And no doubt he is convinced that these are the words of his god as recorded by man.
Can anyone say "gullible?"
How sad to base all your thoughts and opinions on a series of stories and pronouncements.
Talk about shaky ground.
Which is also why he doesnt get the enthno thing. Jews, to him, are divinely ordained. Kind of like getting the Divine "Cootie" Pronouncement from God.

Some orthodox jews probably would agree with him on that point. Others may not.

Obviously, I (and you) buy into a more nuanced notion of identity.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#45442 Dec 13, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Cunti, I learn somethings on this forum and it is a pity that you are unable to do likewise.
One example, I have learnt that RELIGIOUS people can be VERY VERY DECEPTIVE and DISHONEST especially those of a particular religion.
I am not joking and I am being TRUTHFUL.
I already knew that, and you are a perfect example.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#45443 Dec 13, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
I would take the class. The difference between say a classmate like you and me is that I would THINK while you would ACCEPT.
More like you would deny at all cost if it conflicted with your religious beliefs. That's not THINKING. That's being willfully ignorant.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#45444 Dec 13, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have to come from somewhere. But we dont have to carry the identity baggage (though often we do).
If you are genetically Irish, but do not feel Irish, or see yourself as Irish, nor are really conscious of your genetics, then By Molly - you are probably not Irish anymore.
I don't know.

Sounds a little like pop-psych to me, or the Oprahization of America:

"I don't FEEL Irish [black, Chinese, female, male, short, fat etc] anymore, therefore I am not!"

All due respect, but not quite buying this notion.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#45445 Dec 13, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
More like you would deny at all cost if it conflicted with your religious beliefs. That's not THINKING. That's being willfully ignorant.
That was a crazy thing for him (a religious nut) to say to an atheist.

Big brass ones.

He clearly has no sense of irony.
Voluntarist

United States

#45446 Dec 13, 2012
Belafonte: Put Obama’s
Critics in Gulags
Infowars.com
December 13, 2012
All who oppose the agenda of Barack
Obama – or rather oppose the agenda of
his globalist handlers – should be
rounded up and imprisoned, singer and
“social activist” Harry Belafonte recently
told the ambulance chaser Al Sharpton
on the death merchant General Electric’s
network, MSNBC.
Belafonte’s comment reveals the true
nature of the “progressive”– it differs
little from that of the communist thug
who has zero tolerance for any
opposition. Belafonte’s mindset
ultimately terminates in purges,“cultural
revolutions,” and death camps.
http://www.infowars.com/belafonte-put-obamas-...
Voluntarist

United States

#45447 Dec 13, 2012
Every human emotion
now classified as a mental
disorder in new psychiatric
manual DSM-5
Psychiatry goes insane
Mike Adams
Natural News
Dec 13, 2012
The industry of modern psychiatry has
officially gone insane. Virtually every
emotion experienced by a human being
— sadness, grief, anxiety, frustration,
impatience, excitement — is now being
classified as a “mental disorder”
demanding chemical treatment (with
prescription medications, of course).
The new, upcoming DSM-5 “psychiatry
bible,” expected to be released in a few
months, has transformed itself from a
medical reference manual to a testament
to the insanity of the industry itself .
“Mental disorders” named in the DSM-5
include “General Anxiety Disorder” or
GAD for short. GAD can be diagnosed in
a person who feels a little anxious doing
something like, say, talking to a
psychiatrist. Thus, the mere act of a
psychiatrist engaging in the possibility of
making a diagnoses causes the
“symptoms” of that diagnoses to
magically appear.
This is called quack science and circular
reasoning, yet it’s indicative of the entire
industry of psychiatry which has become
such a laughing stock among scientific
circles that even the science skeptics are
starting to turn their backs in
disgust. Psychiatry is no more
“scientific” than astrology or palm
reading , yet its practitioners call
themselves “doctors” of psychiatry in
order to try to make quackery sound
credible.
How modern psychiatry really works
Here’s how modern psychiatry really
operates: A bunch of self-important,
overpaid intellectuals who want to make
more money invent a fabricated disease
that I’ll call “Hoogala Boogala Disorder”
or HBD.
By a show of hands, they then vote into
existence whatever “symptoms” they wish
to associated with Hoogala Boogala
Disorder. In this case, the symptoms
might be spontaneous singing or wanting
to pick your nose from time to time .
They then convince teachers, journalists
and government regulators that Hoogala
Boogala Disorder is real — and more
importantly that millions of children
suffer from it! It wouldn’t be
compassionate not to offer all those
children treatment, would it?

http://www.naturalnews.com/038322_DSM-5_psych...
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#45448 Dec 13, 2012
ATF:

Did anyone ever tell you that you are what you read?

Alex Jones' Infowars.com ? Really?

"Jones has been the center of many controversies, and has accused the US government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing[15] and September 11 attacks.[16]"

Where else have we heard that?
Voluntarist

United States

#45450 Dec 13, 2012
former res wrote:
ATF:
Did anyone ever tell you that you are what you read?
Alex Jones' Infowars.com ? Really?
"Jones has been the center of many controversies, and has accused the US government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing[15] and September 11 attacks.[16]"
Where else have we heard that?
There is an enormous amount of evidence pointing to okc being an inside job, what's your point?
It is a news site, look at the substance.

Too busy arguing about queers?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#45451 Dec 13, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowledge, social science, wikipedia, etc etc... all the tool of the devil...
smooth....
call me when you want to be logical again
Let us FOCUS and overlook your sideshow.

You said, "I am NOT aware of any OTHER religion EXCEPT Judaism that Jews practice. " and I am now saying that YOU lied as is evidenced by your responses to my REVELATION that Jews are flocking to Eastern RELIGIONS.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#45452 Dec 13, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an enormous amount of evidence pointing to okc being an inside job, what's your point?
It is a news site, look at the substance.
Too busy arguing about queers?
wow!

A right winger who's also a homophobe?!

Go figure!

:))

[Note: Libertarians are simply right wing nuts who don't want to pay their taxes. And they really hate poor people. Students, blacks, gays etc.]
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#45453 Dec 13, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an enormous amount of evidence pointing to okc being an inside job...
Why has all this escaped the lame-stream media?

Is it only on your secret website?

Do I need a decoder ring to access it?

;)
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#45454 Dec 13, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us FOCUS and overlook your sideshow.
You said, "I am NOT aware of any OTHER religion EXCEPT Judaism that Jews practice. " and I am now saying that YOU lied as is evidenced by your responses to my REVELATION that Jews are flocking to Eastern RELIGIONS.
alraedy adressed that

Please - provide us new material. We are dying here.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#45455 Dec 13, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. I cant help it if you dont accept the worldwide definitions.
Simply put - Jews are the member of the Jewish people. Their religion is Judaism. They share a common ancestry, literature, language, homeland, and history. To be a Jew once either needs to practice the religion, or be of Jewish enthnicity (i.e. one the above traits, OR both.
Some housekeeping: Re: your remark about how Jews can be Bhuddists/Christians/etc....
I explained ALL of that yesterday - You are playing loose with the scale of this conversation.
On the individual scale a Jew can practice whatever religion or nonreligion they happen to practice but OBVIOUSLY ON THE WHOLE Judaism is the religion of the Jewish people (i.e. on the collective scale). Christianity isnt the religion of the Jewish people (as much as you wish it to be). Hence I made that sarcastic comment - WE are called JEWS for just that reason.
Frijoles---Their religion is Judaism.

HughBe--- Really? What RELIGION did the TEN tribes perpetually observe? Was it your CORRUPTED Judaism? NO. Read below.

Once again---

Frijoles--Jews are am ETHNO-RELIGIOUS group - see above

HughBe--- In the given context, explain ethno-religious.

I am waiting for you to explain ethno-religious in the context that many Jews are NOT religious period and also in the context that you and your rabbis persist with BLATANT LIES.

The 10 Northern tribes of Israel did NOT observe JUDAISM. An understanding of these things say that yOU are a LIAR and of course your rabbis.

Plus God called them Israel and Jews e.g. Jeremiah 44. Do you want me to refresh your memory? I taught YOU this truth already but here goes.

Jeremiah 44:1 "The word that came to Jeremiah concerning all the JEWS which dwell in the land of Egypt"

HughBe---Do you see the word JEWS?

Verse 15-16 "Then all the men which knew that their wives had burned incense unto OTHER gods, and all the women that stood by, a great multitude, even all the people that dwelt in the land of Egypt, in Pathros, answered Jeremiah, saying,

16 As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, WE will NOT hearken unto thee."

HughBe---Indeed classic Judaism being displayed i.e. the REJECTION of God and His TRUTH. Now the incense goes to the rabbis.

That aside what religion were these JEWS observing, young Frijie?
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#45456 Dec 13, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know.
Sounds a little like pop-psych to me, or the Oprahization of America:
"I don't FEEL Irish [black, Chinese, female, male, short, fat etc] anymore, therefore I am not!"
All due respect, but not quite buying this notion.
You are over thinking this.

If you dont feel Irish, and you are not aware* of your genetics, and you live here in the US - how COULD you be Irish?

*unawareness is key here

Fat, black, Chinese(arguably), female, male, short, fat are objectively discerned

Irish ethnicity is not. I have no idea what an Irish-American person looks like that is different from, let say, a Fin or a Pole.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#45457 Dec 13, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that is untrue
1. You have yet to specify WHICH covenant you meant (there were several)
2. The first few were to the founders of the Abrahamic Religions
3. Most Jewish people would agree that the collective Israelite identity started for real after the exodus, however it was explained in concept beforehand.
I think what you are tryiong to do is to set up a standrd evangelical "Replacement Theology" argument.
I.E. Israelites existed - then Jews (i.e your "Rabbis" corrupted the identity - therefore allowing you as a CHRISTIAN to step right in and save the world by reoccupying the spiritual inheritance that was given to the Israelites...
Obviously, as a Jewish person, I find that logic both arrogant and offensive, besides from plain wrong.
HughBe---Jews had a Jewish IDENTITY before they got "Judaism". They had a Jewish IDENTITY when God made a covenant with them.

Frijoles--- Actually that is untrue
1. You have yet to specify WHICH covenant you meant

HughBe--- look here rabbinic moron my statement is true. I'm using Jew as it is currently used for the 12 tribes. Israel would be technically correct.

The FACT is God made a COVENANT with a people called Israel/JEWS. They were not NAMED at the time of making the covenant.They already had the name and the IDENTITY being descendants of Israel hence ISRAELITES. Get it moron?

Finally, rabbinic moron, it matters not which covenant what is important is that God made a covenant with Israel. Don't your masters teach you these basic things?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#45458 Dec 13, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your OPINION regarding biblical interpretation
I will take it into consideration, with the same careful and thoughtful consideration I give to other evangelical Christians who try to spin the scripture to support their mission.
Dont quit your day job
Once again, read with care. The material is going over your head you material.

Define Israelites?

HughBe---What it means is that their Jewish IDENTITY is not a function of RELIGION be it Judaism or otherwise. Their IDENTITY had to do with SEED or BIOLOGY or DNA. Get it ?
Here is more help for you and your rabbis. "And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land" Genesis 12:7.
Note no JUDAISM is involved

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,153,003
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 8 min Sublime1 19
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 44 min Edmond Pulpo 181,698
Deat Abby 12-16 1 hr Mister Tonka 51
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,875
sexting on whatsapp 2 hr cute_bwoy 1
14-Year-Old Boy Shot In Head On Far South Side 3 hr Taint Shield 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]