Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,986
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43188 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
The key words are "if costs arent offset"
duhhhhh!!

Cutting revenue without cutting spending doesn't work.

That's why we speak of a "balanced approach."

This is why people didn't trust Romney. He told us all about his $5 trillion tax cut but without sharing the details of the offsets. He was a bullshxtter, plain and simple.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43189 Nov 11, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
When the federal government takes less money, more money is spent within the states, sales tax revenue will increase, as well as property tax revenue.
I agree not to raise taxes on the middle class.

Explain the thing about propery tax revenue going up - i don't get that one.
Frijoles

Farmington, CT

#43190 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Does the heart good, esp to know we dodged a bullet.
I can remember our first MBA president.....just like it was yesterday.
You know, I don't think anyone ever accused Reagan of being a genius, but I always thought he surrounded himself with smart people.
Not sure the same can be said of Romney, McCain, Bush...
"I can remember our first MBA president.....just like it was yesterday.."

That absolutely sums up my point!

I will have to think about the Reagan comment - havent given much thought to that in the past. When I think of Reagan I think of Alexaner Haig and James Watt, but perhaps those are outliers. But David Stockman is the first to advocate against trickle economics now - so I suppose the ability to recognize mistakes says volumes about oneself.
Voluntarist

United States

#43193 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>.
Tell me your spending cuts.
Do they include severely cutting the military?
That's usually where you folks show your true "anti-gubbermint" colors
Absolutely, did you forget who you are talking to?
Foreign adventurism including foreign bases should be eliminated.
Voluntarist

United States

#43194 Nov 11, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. We all benefit. Dont be a scrooge.
Is that your definition of freedom? Your right to other people's property?
Voluntarist

United States

#43196 Nov 11, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree not to raise taxes on the middle class.
Explain the thing about propery tax revenue going up - i don't get that one.
Business minded people will make more investing locally, commercial properties, businesses all of which will increase the tax rolls, something a Walmart won't do.
Frijoles

Farmington, CT

#43199 Nov 12, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that your definition of freedom? Your right to other people's property?
We werent talking about freedom - we were talking about whether I prefer there would be a structure to provide me services.

But if the government plows my street or supplies me with fire protection, and levies a mandatory tax to do so, that has nothing to do with "a right to other peoples property". Take your glasses off.
Frijoles

Farmington, CT

#43200 Nov 12, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Business minded people will make more investing locally, commercial properties, businesses all of which will increase the tax rolls, something a Walmart won't do.
Both BushII and Romney were business types. ROmney was so incompetent he couldnt even run a campaign efficiently, let alone a business. Bush doesnt even merit explanation here.

Your ideas are good but evidence so far does not back it up, in fact, it is to the contrary.
Frijoles

Farmington, CT

#43201 Nov 12, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Every one wants to spend less on "others" but wants to spend more on "Himself".
That is why Govt. cannot spend less!!
The Republican dominated states actually have a higher rate of return of federal spending from tax dollars than the Democratic dominated states. If we want to federal spending to decline, first we have to wean those Republicans from wanting more "stuff".

Never going to happen
Frijoles

Farmington, CT

#43202 Nov 12, 2012
Its interesting how FOX is now being lauded as doing the right thing by actually reporting the news, considering their previous role in obfuscating the news. I guess one way to make someone look good is lower the standard and have amnesia.

I admit I am loving this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/business/me...

"....But on Tuesday night, the people in charge of Fox News were confronted with a stark choice after it became clear that Mr. Romney had fallen short: was Fox, first and foremost, a place for advocacy or a place for news?

In this moment, at least, Fox chose news..."

".....Part of the reason the (election) result came as such a shock was that followers of conservative media had been told over and over that mainstream analysis was not to be trusted, that it reflected liberal ideology and not data. But they were misled by media outlets that shared their values, Fox chief among them. David Frum, the conservative columnist, made just that point on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” show last week when he said that Republicans had been “fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex.”..."
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43203 Nov 12, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
"I can remember our first MBA president.....just like it was yesterday.."
That absolutely sums up my point!
I will have to think about the Reagan comment - havent given much thought to that in the past. When I think of Reagan I think of Alexaner Haig and James Watt, but perhaps those are outliers. But David Stockman is the first to advocate against trickle economics now - so I suppose the ability to recognize mistakes says volumes about oneself.
Good point. They weren't all winners.

And then there were the players of Iran-Contra.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43205 Nov 12, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like being able to be lots of stuff, real cheap? The folks love Walmart. They vote with their dollars.

That's what I call economic freedom.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#43206 Nov 12, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
Its interesting how FOX is now being lauded as doing the right thing by actually reporting the news, considering their previous role in obfuscating the news. I guess one way to make someone look good is lower the standard and have amnesia.
I admit I am loving this.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/business/me...
"....But on Tuesday night, the people in charge of Fox News were confronted with a stark choice after it became clear that Mr. Romney had fallen short: was Fox, first and foremost, a place for advocacy or a place for news?
In this moment, at least, Fox chose news..."
".....Part of the reason the (election) result came as such a shock was that followers of conservative media had been told over and over that mainstream analysis was not to be trusted, that it reflected liberal ideology and not data. But they were misled by media outlets that shared their values, Fox chief among them. David Frum, the conservative columnist, made just that point on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” show last week when he said that Republicans had been “fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex.”..."
I heard/saw Frum say that. Now the smart conservatives are getting out ahead of the new thinking and messaging.

To wit:

WASHINGTON -- Conservative commentator and Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol said Sunday the Republican Party should accept new ideas, including the much-criticized suggestion by Democrats that taxes be allowed to go up on the wealthy.

"It won't kill the country if we raise taxes a little bit on millionaires," he said on "Fox News Sunday." "It really won't, I don't think. I don't really understand why Republicans don't take Obama's offer."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/11/bill...

...And don't forget the new Sean Hannity on immigration

...should we hang by our thumbs waiting for the new, more sensitive Rush?!

:))
Frijoles

Farmington, CT

#43207 Nov 12, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. They weren't all winners.
And then there were the players of Iran-Contra.
Wonder what ever happened to Ollie North?

http://olivernorth.com/

"Ollie was simply terrific, and one of the best -- if not THE best speakers we've had address our group."
- Construction Industry Round Table
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#43208 Nov 12, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.n ytimes.com/2012/11/10/which-po lls-fared-best-and-worst-in-th e-2012-presidential-race/?hp
Which Polls Fared Best (and Worst) in the 2012 Presidential Race
By NATE SILVER
-----
The best: Investors Business Daily
The worst: Rasmussen and Gallup
rabbee: does it really make any difference, if you lose no matter who you elect against G-D? if you lose either way you vote, then your just being delusional about it.

and not facing up, to G-D'S TheReality and Our Responsibility. is taking your chances in the hell and death lottery, really worth it? when the most common road traveled today, is the road to oblivion.
Voluntarist

United States

#43209 Nov 12, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
We werent talking about freedom - we were talking about whether I prefer there would be a structure to provide me services.
But if the government plows my street or supplies me with fire protection, and levies a mandatory tax to do so, that has nothing to do with "a right to other peoples property". Take your glasses off.
Is money property?
Voluntarist

United States

#43210 Nov 12, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
So I will come over and shovel your sidewalk and send you a bill.
Voluntarist

United States

#43211 Nov 12, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard/saw Frum say that. Now the smart conservatives are getting out ahead of the new thinking and messaging.
To wit:
WASHINGTON -- Conservative commentator and Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol said Sunday the Republican Party should accept new ideas, including the much-criticized suggestion by Democrats that taxes be allowed to go up on the wealthy.
"It won't kill the country if we raise taxes a little bit on millionaires," he said on "Fox News Sunday." "It really won't, I don't think. I don't really understand why Republicans don't take Obama's offer."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/11/bill...
...And don't forget the new Sean Hannity on immigration
...should we hang by our thumbs waiting for the new, more sensitive Rush?!
:))
Bill Krostol is not a conservative, the article starts off with a lie.
The apple didn't fall far from the tree in his family.
Voluntarist

United States

#43212 Nov 12, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The Republican dominated states actually have a higher rate of return of federal spending from tax dollars than the Democratic dominated states. If we want to federal spending to decline, first we have to wean those Republicans from wanting more "stuff".
Never going to happen
That's fine, as soon as the feds stop taking.
Voluntarist

United States

#43213 Nov 12, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like being able to be lots of stuff, real cheap? The folks love Walmart. They vote with their dollars.
That's what I call economic freedom.
Don't have a problem with Walmart, have a problem with government subsidized Walmart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Portlandia 1,153,025
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 27 min jacques Ottawau 181,699
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 1 hr Sublime1 19
Deat Abby 12-16 2 hr Mister Tonka 51
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr TRD 68,875
sexting on whatsapp 3 hr cute_bwoy 1
14-Year-Old Boy Shot In Head On Far South Side 4 hr Taint Shield 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance