Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 69,541
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
seasidesoon

United States

#42916 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have to ask yourself which network is promoting the response as a fiasco. Its not going to be CNN or MSNBC.
CBS very rightwing. They've also discovered benghazi. Wowser
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42917 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be a little weird paying to stay there considering I live less than a mile from there but I will check out their breakfast. I have been in that building maybe twice in my life, and pass by it probably at least twice a day.
I don't stay at too many local hotels down here either.

But we have splurged a couple of times. Thanksgiving weekend for example, maybe take in a play and nice dinner out.

I heard the Sunday brunch at the Hyatt is nice too but pricey.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42918 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm kind of troubled by the whole coordinated response issue. It is Red Cross that traditionally does this, but the residents were complaining about neglect, so they put out a plea so some of our local synagogues and churches responded.
And I thought it was nice too, the stories and pics of the many runners (many international) already in town for the marathon bringing cases of water and other supplies over on the Staten Island Ferry.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42919 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Too late. I mowed the lawn (hopefully for the last time this season) yesterday and did the leaves the day before.
I voted YES on every item asking for expansion of government, except one, which I chose not to vote because I havent been folowing the issue (Fire)
But if you mow first, you end up mulching a lot of the leaves - no?

Between that and the hurricane, we had very few leaves to worry about this year.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42920 Nov 6, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes for a very impressive date night. Lots of brownie points ;-)
Doesn't work as much with married couples. ;)
Voluntarist

United States

#42921 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank Goddess they dont let you drive.
I dont drive I travel and I don't do business with the state to do so with exception of gas tax.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42922 Nov 6, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
But if you mow first, you end up mulching a lot of the leaves - no?
Between that and the hurricane, we had very few leaves to worry about this year.
This year most of the leaves came down at once in the hurricane -made it easier.

I gave up my gas mower a few years back and bought an old style push mower. I am no longer addicted to gas. It doesnt mulch the leaves like the power mowers do, unfortunately. So I rake them up whole and either ship them out to the street like everyone else does, or use them whole as mulch for my shrubs.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42923 Nov 6, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes for a very impressive date night. Lots of brownie points ;-)
On an unrelated topic, what did you vote for Fire? I havetn been following it, except that everyone is mad at everyone.

I was going to neglect to vote either way for finance board narrowing of powers, for the same reason, but then decided to vote no as the same thing. Ignorance is bliss.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#42924 Nov 6, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't work as much with married couples. ;)
The key is married couples wit kids. Trust me. Works wonders.
Voluntarist

United States

#42925 Nov 6, 2012

Location hidden

#42926 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
On an unrelated topic, what did you vote for Fire? I havetn been following it, except that everyone is mad at everyone.
I was going to neglect to vote either way for finance board narrowing of powers, for the same reason, but then decided to vote no as the same thing. Ignorance is bliss.
It was a coin toss, but I ultimately voted for a consolidated City fire department. Doesn't really affect me, but it seems there would be more accountability that way.

Location hidden

#42927 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Re: Finance Board - I voted for limiting their powers to financial matters. Seems to make sense to me, but what do I know.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42928 Nov 6, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
Old news. Seaside posted that days ago.

But thanks for sharing your news site. It has often been a curiosity where a mentally unbalanced paranoid conspiracy theorest such as yourself gets his "news".
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42929 Nov 6, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Re: Finance Board - I voted for limiting their powers to financial matters. Seems to make sense to me, but what do I know.
But thats the thing. It would ONLY be on the ballot if they pissed someone off. There is a story behind that, and politics behond the story. Of which I havent been following.

Notice the third line on the Fire question - something like "...and the volunteers will continue to be recognized for their contribution". How can you enforce the implementation of that? Obviously BS, and indicative of a nasty squabble
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42930 Nov 6, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a coin toss, but I ultimately voted for a consolidated City fire department. Doesn't really affect me, but it seems there would be more accountability that way.
True, but I have no reason to trust the current admin, they havent impressed me in anyway. Bobby Valentine - exhibit A. And the southside development frenzy as exhibit B.

Location hidden

#42931 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
But thats the thing. It would ONLY be on the ballot if they pissed someone off. There is a story behind that, and politics behond the story. Of which I havent been following.
Notice the third line on the Fire question - something like "...and the volunteers will continue to be recognized for their contribution". How can you enforce the implementation of that? Obviously BS, and indicative of a nasty squabble
Perhaps. But the Board of Finance has traditionally wielded too much power in Stamford. The major criticism over the last several years is that that were merely Rubber Stampers for Malloy.

Location hidden

#42932 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>True, but I have no reason to trust the current admin, they havent impressed me in anyway. Bobby Valentine - exhibit A. And the southside development frenzy as exhibit B.
But this debate was going on before the current administration. It would have ended up on the ballot regardless of which administration was in power. Besides, I don't think Pavia is making it to a second term.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42933 Nov 6, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
This year most of the leaves came down at once in the hurricane -made it easier.
I gave up my gas mower a few years back and bought an old style push mower. I am no longer addicted to gas. It doesnt mulch the leaves like the power mowers do, unfortunately. So I rake them up whole and either ship them out to the street like everyone else does, or use them whole as mulch for my shrubs.
Cool.

A "reel mower!"

I respect that.

Do you sharpen the blades yourself?
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42934 Nov 6, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
But this debate was going on before the current administration. It would have ended up on the ballot regardless of which administration was in power. Besides, I don't think Pavia is making it to a second term.
This is real inside stuff.

You two guys should just get a room (at the Hyatt!):))
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42935 Nov 6, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
True - which why I decided with caution to kick it up to the next administration. At least that was the minimal thought I devoted to it.

I see Pavia as our Gerald Ford. I dont hate him. I dont even not like him. But I dont really like him either. Kind of bland to slightly negative branding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min harmonious 1,115,573
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min harmonious 47,066
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 53 min Top of the Heap 4,054
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 50,063
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Mister Tonka 98,373
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 178,617
Group of thieves hit Bentley Gold Coast store 2 hr Go Blue Forever 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]