Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 69,414
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#42688 Nov 2, 2012
Still no power :-(

My voting location is also still without power. Wonder what the backup strategy is.

Location hidden

#42689 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking, "Who the hell cares about Benghazi right now?"
And then I read this, and now I understand why you are obsessed with this issue.
It isn't really your fault.
Simple solution: Stop watching Fox News!
Carry on.
Posted: 11/01/2012 6:40 pm EDT Updated: 11/02/2012 7:36 am EDT
Fox News prime-time hosts barely mentioned Hurricane Sandy on Wednesday night, even as MSNBC and CNN reported non-stop on the massive cleanup efforts just south of Fox's Manhattan studio and throughout the surrounding region devastated by the storm.
Instead, the Fox News hosts focused on the upcoming presidential election and the Sept. 11, 2012, consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya -- a story that’s been a mainstay on the cable network over the past six weeks amid suggestions of a White House cover-up. While Fox News correspondents have done solid reporting and raised legitimate questions for the Obama administration to answer, some of the network’s on-air hosts have been fanning the flames of conspiracy in what's been dubbed "Benghazi-gate."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/fox-...
A concerted effort to make Obama look bad before the election and plant the seeds of doubt in the remaining undecideds. Pretty pathetic.
Voluntarist

United States

#42690 Nov 2, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
It is Hobbes' Leviathan.
Once again a lawyer that can't point to any facts.
From the Hobbs wiki;
the view that all legitimate
political power must be "representative" and based on the
consent of the people;
I don't consent.
Owning an IRS lawyer;
part one
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
part 2
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
Voluntarist

United States

#42691 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
A concerted effort to make Obama look bad before the election and plant the seeds of doubt in the remaining undecideds. Pretty pathetic.
Nobody has to make the piece of shit liar look bad, he does it himself.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42692 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
My voting location is also still without power. Wonder what the backup strategy is.
Was there a lot of flooding damage in your part of town? The newspaper coverage is horrible and I havent wanted to venture down there.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42693 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
Sorry to hear. Same with my sister in OG.

Mom got hers back and now wants a generator.

Sister has a portable one and swears by it.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42694 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Shiny metal object to distract the simple-minded.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42695 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
And then I read this, and now I understand why you are obsessed with this issue.
Carry on.
Fox News prime-time hosts barely mentioned Hurricane Sandy on Wednesday night, even as MSNBC and CNN reported non-stop on the massive cleanup efforts just south of Fox's Manhattan studio and throughout the surrounding region devastated by the storm.
Instead, the Fox News hosts focused on the upcoming presidential election and the Sept. 11, 2012, consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya -- a story that’s been a mainstay on the cable network over the past six weeks amid suggestions of a White House cover-up. While Fox News correspondents have done solid reporting and raised legitimate questions for the Obama administration to answer, some of the network’s on-air hosts have been fanning the flames of conspiracy in what's been dubbed "Benghazi-gate."
It really is an alternate universe in FOX land.

In the rest of the world, everyone is talking about global warming (science?? could it be?).

Lets look at the stupidity of the FOX playbook. Ok, they whip the base into a frenzy. So what? They are not going to get any independents who care.

Birtherism.

former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42696 Nov 2, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody has to make the piece of shit liar look bad, he does it himself.
Chris Christie, Bloomberg, and Powell would disagree.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42697 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
yess...this is the inside word, coming from both campaigns (pre Mark Halperin). Though I'm trying not to think about it or talk about it too much. I still know anything can happen. Election history is replete will elections where the results didn't jibe with the polling, just days before.
The NYT 538 - is that by chance Nate Silver?(Not familiar with that moniker.) A very bright sounding guy who has been on several talk shows recently. He said his folks got the restults correct in 49 of the states last election.
He also wrote a great article ccomparing NYC neighborhoods.(He lives in Brooklyn Heights)
http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/201...
Nate is all about data. It's what he does.
I too tend to trust his information. Cautiously that is.
Yes, it is the same Nate Silver from the baseball stat world. He is my hero - I took a lot of stats back in grad school so I appreciate what he is trying to do - cut through the noise using intelligence rather than politics.

He is nonpartisan - someone who for the fun of it got into sport stats, and then decided last year to apply the same approach to polling. No skin in the game. Pure logic and analysis of ALL the data. Goes into EVERY contingency. Does not shy away from anything. Right now he is focused on the swing states, and he decided that the leads are permanent.

The FOXERs would be apoplectic. Data? Reason? Wheres the spin?
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42698 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Parents have one and are using it. This is the first storm. They are now having trouble getting propane delivered to feed it, so not everything is always perfect is lala land.

Location hidden

#42699 Nov 2, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Was there a lot of flooding damage in your part of town? The newspaper coverage is horrible and I havent wanted to venture down there.
No flooding damage, just a lot of downed trees. Beaches are still blocked off to cars, but not much to see other than parking lots buried in sand.

They finally cleared the tree off the wires on my street this morning. Hopefully, that's a sign that they will be repairing soon. Supposed to get in the 30's tonight.

Location hidden

#42700 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking about picking up a portable generator after this ordeal. Neighbor swears by his Honda EU2000, and it's super quite.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42701 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking about picking up a portable generator after this ordeal. Neighbor swears by his Honda EU2000, and it's super quite.
AFter this storm I'd imagine that just about EVERYONE in the north side of town will be investing in the large stationary ones. Now, probably a third already have one. The generator retailers should be ecstatic.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42702 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
No flooding damage, just a lot of downed trees. Beaches are still blocked off to cars, but not much to see other than parking lots buried in sand.
They finally cleared the tree off the wires on my street this morning. Hopefully, that's a sign that they will be repairing soon. Supposed to get in the 30's tonight.
2 blocks away from me they still dont have power on one side of the street. I cant believe how lucky we have been.

Location hidden

#42703 Nov 2, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
2 blocks away from me they still dont have power on one side of the street. I cant believe how lucky we have been.

What time is dinner tonight ;-)

Luckily, we have family in the area with power. Will probably sleep there tonight as the house is getting too cold.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42705 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Carry on.
of interest:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/1...

The Pew Research Center is out with a new report today looking at media coverage of the presidential campaign since this summer's conventions. It's got plenty of worthwhile tidbits and newsy nuggets, but the one that jumped out at us right away was this snapshot of just how segmented and partisan (and negative) cable news has been this election cycle:

The study ... reveals the degree to which the two cable channels that have built themselves around ideological programming, MSNBC and Fox, stand out from other mainstream media outlets. And MSNBC stands out the most. On that channel, 71% of the segments studied about Romney were negative in nature, compared with just 3% that were positive-a ratio of roughly 23-to-1. On Fox, 46% of the segments about Obama were negative, compared with 6% that were positive-a ratio of about 8-to-1 negative. These made them unusual among channels or outlets that identified themselves as news organizations.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#42707 Nov 2, 2012
Hi girls, how have you been? I could not help noticing the dinner comment.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#42709 Nov 2, 2012
hopefully, I will be back later.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42710 Nov 2, 2012
..and I dedicate this softball post to SEASIDE - in an effort to be fair and balanced regarding propaganda machines....

‘SEAL Team Six’ on National Geographic

http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/arts/televis...

“SEAL Team Six” is a fictionalized account of the real-life operation to track down Osama bin Laden, but it looks a lot like a Republican recruitment film written by Dick Cheney.

The only problem is that the president who ordered the daring manhunt is Barack Obama.

So conservatives have every reason to be irked by the message and timing of “SEAL Team Six,” which tells the story in a fake-documentary style and is scheduled to be shown on the National Geographic Channel on Sunday night, two days before the election.(It will also be available on Netflix, beginning on Monday.)

Harvey Weinstein, one of Mr. Obama’s most loyal Hollywood backers, is an executive producer,....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ask Amy 9-21-14 4 min PEllen 5
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Scrutiny 178,171
Chicago abandons plan to name high school after... 10 min Does Not Compute 3
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min RealDave 1,110,464
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 33 min OzRitz 46,797
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 39 min Larissa Hernandez 4,719
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,521
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Mister Tonka 98,239
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago