Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 71939 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

former res

Broomall, PA

#41480 Oct 3, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
The Romney camp has been particularly tight lipped about their tax plan. Probably because the math doesn't add up. And, given his 47% comment, talking about giving tax breaks to the rich will not be well received by the general public.
But who knows how it will go tonight. Romney does have some debate experience given how drawn out and nasty the Republican primary debates were. Also, perhaps Romney will be wearing his magic underwear. Every little bit helps.
Let's ask Frijoles if he thinks the magic underwear would help.

:))
former res

Broomall, PA

#41481 Oct 3, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were married.
How are you going to watch the debate without a tv???

When did you join AlQueda?(As Colbert would say. He's a man on the tv box!)

Seriously though - i can't wait to see these two go at it tonight. Sort of like a fight "at the wall" after school in 8th grade.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#41482 Oct 3, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's ask Frijoles if he thinks the magic underwear would help.
:))
I wouldnt know. My idea of magic underwear is underwear that you dont have to launder.
former res

Broomall, PA

#41483 Oct 3, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think the debates will change much regardless. The 47% comment did permanent damage. I think this time around the electorate is less sheeplike, and I cant see those who got turned off by the 47% comment coming back.
I like this story:

In August 1960, most polls gave Vice President Nixon a slim lead over Kennedy, and many political pundits regarded Nixon as the favorite to win. However, Nixon was plagued by bad luck throughout the fall campaign. In August, President Eisenhower, who had long been ambivalent about Nixon, held a televised press conference in which a reporter, Charles Mohr of Time, mentioned Nixon's claims that he had been a valuable administration insider and adviser. Mohr asked Eisenhower if he could give an example of a major idea of Nixon's that he had heeded. Eisenhower responded with the flip comment, "If you give me a week, I might think of one."[13] Although both Eisenhower and Nixon later claimed that Ike was merely joking with the reporter, the remark hurt Nixon, as it undercut his claims of having greater decision-making experience than Kennedy. The remark proved so damaging to Nixon that the Democrats turned Eisenhower's statement into a television commercial criticizing Nixon.
former res

Broomall, PA

#41484 Oct 3, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think the debates will change much regardless. The 47% comment did permanent damage. I think this time around the electorate is less sheeplike, and I cant see those who got turned off by the 47% comment coming back.
I agree. Likely not game changers unless something extraordinary happens: Nixon's pallor & sweat; Ford's bizarre statement; Reagan's spot on quips, etc.

(No presidential debates occurred between 1960 and 1976.)
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#41485 Oct 3, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
How are you going to watch the debate without a tv???
When did you join AlQueda?(As Colbert would say. He's a man on the tv box!)
Seriously though - i can't wait to see these two go at it tonight. Sort of like a fight "at the wall" after school in 8th grade.
either radio or I'll wait for the important quips to be posted on YouTube.

Truth be told the ONLY president I ever enjoyed listening to was Bill. He had a great pattern. Obamas important speeches are very good - though not nearly good as Bill was - but listening to Obama in normal statement mode annoys the sht out of me (as does Romney, Bushes, Reagan, and just about everyone else etc etc)
SeasideSoon

Fortson, GA

#41487 Oct 3, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
reminds me of the fake indignation I heard Sunday morning on FoX News TV (I was at the gym) about the incompetence of the TSA. How private sector is always more efficient, yada yada yada and all that crapp. Ignoring the fact that the TSA was set up AFTER the private sector botched it. People have short memories when it is convenient to spout their ideologies
The lesson I get from the TSA, and probably Behnghazi, is that human organization is an inheretently flawed enterprise REGARDLESS of who is behind the organization. Libertarians have it correct. However, their own notion of enforced disorganization is impractical in a civil society, therefore we have no choice but to muddle through with society and all its imperfections (and stop listening to Faux News).
It's all faux. Have to look up everything from several sources. So give me credit for at least opening up a new topic to outflank MUQ.

My incredulity with this Blue Mountain contract is that it's a UK company - so we're outsourcing security jobs to another country, and they hire locals which melt away into the mist when there's trouble. There should be plenty of retired military men to fill those positions.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#41488 Oct 3, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>It's all faux. Have to look up everything from several sources. So give me credit for at least opening up a new topic to outflank MUQ.

My incredulity with this Blue Mountain contract is that it's a UK company - so we're outsourcing security jobs to another country, and they hire locals which melt away into the mist when there's trouble. There should be plenty of retired military men to fill those positions.
Please dont get the idea I am on your case. I'm not really. I just like to gab and you are here reliably.

I was thinking abt the blue Mtn thing today. Do we know for sure they are hiring internationals? In this age these companies often shuffle their incorp papers around to make them look different than the last company which pissed everyone off - and still hire the same people - could still be American workers.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#41489 Oct 3, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I once had a summer job doing contract Archaeology while in grad school. I was part of an advance team surveying a pipeline path for artifacts. We found a few archaeological sites, and at one point even slightly delayed the pipeline in order to fully excavate a site first (then they put the pipeline in over the site, as they always do with development projects).
What I remember most besides from the low pay and the honor of working out in the desert in the summer (ave temp 110 F) was one day excavating (accidentially) the burrow of a large hibernating frog. Frog was not amused, and I was pretty creeped out once I realized what it was I was cleaning dirt off of. I dont remember Mr Kermit being endangered, though.
So what did you do?
Spit back? It was expecting moisture.

Aren't they some sort of cannibal-frogs?
The very same they brought into Australia that are attracted by discolights, is what i had in mind, sort of bull-frog.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#41490 Oct 3, 2012
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: the discovery of a new sub-specie of spider. is not proof, of evolution. nor is it proof that G-D did not make, everything the way we can see.
there is no proof, of evolution scientificly. evolution is the result, of non-scientific religious mythology. and so far is just another one, of those false pagan religions. nothing new since they had, this same mythology in alleged ancient societies.
polymorphology in developing a trait thus no other spider anywhere near has, because of being closed of, is exactly what evolution is about.(amongst other things)

Why would you characterise evolution as a religion?

It's by the way o longer a question asked to up and coming presidents. Though i never heard the results of the pop-quizz national geographic would give these aspiring souls.
But i take it Obama would win that with flying colours.

Romney or rebups in general, would talk about the motor-way-spider and the pipeline-frog when asked about endangered species.
former res

Broomall, PA

#41491 Oct 3, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
either radio or I'll wait for the important quips to be posted on YouTube.
Truth be told the ONLY president I ever enjoyed listening to was Bill. He had a great pattern. Obamas important speeches are very good - though not nearly good as Bill was - but listening to Obama in normal statement mode annoys the sht out of me (as does Romney, Bushes, Reagan, and just about everyone else etc etc)
If you can find Clinton's Convention speech (from last month) on youtube - possibly the best political speech I ever heard.

Obama disappointed tonight. Too "presidential." I think you'll see more of a fighter next time.

(The instant polling isn't good for him.)

For some reason he was caught off guard by Romney lying about his $5 trillion tax cut (and how he will pay for it).

Though Romney/Ryan have been lying all along. So Obama should have been ready. Rough business.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#41492 Oct 3, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
They say the challenger usually wins the first one - just by being on stage with the prez.
But yeah, I can already hear the zingers flying.
A week ago I would have said Obama just needs to "do no harm" - but now they say the polls are "tighenting" a bit.
Still pretty good in the swing states though, for Obama that is.
I hope Jim Lehrer does a good job of keeping them on track. Specifics on his tax reform plans from Romney would be very refreshing.
rabbee: what difference, does it make? when your still going to end up, with an evil president. who is going to screw us, for turning our backs to G-D. and you can all use, the current or ex-president as a scape goat. for what is mainly, our falt for rejecting G-D in our self admiration society.

i do not expect G-D, to command any president to do us any real good. as long as we, are all being this terrible to G-D. when you can't even get G-D or HisSon Adam, right in your churches and synagogues.

and can't even get, being here in TheStory of Creation again right. in this world that can't even, be true to G-D here in TheTorah for 2 man seconds. in a world that cannot remember any truth, but not here in TheTorah lies are a different story.

you can't even two mili-seconds, without perverting this story we are all here in from G-D again. as you pervert everything, with your image from the subtle beasts of the fields.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#41493 Oct 4, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
polymorphology in developing a trait thus no other spider anywhere near has, because of being closed of, is exactly what evolution is about.(amongst other things)
Why would you characterise evolution as a religion?
It's by the way o longer a question asked to up and coming presidents. Though i never heard the results of the pop-quizz national geographic would give these aspiring souls.
But i take it Obama would win that with flying colours.
Romney or rebups in general, would talk about the motor-way-spider and the pipeline-frog when asked about endangered species.
rabbee: a totally different spider, is not an example of morphing from another spider. a cockroach is an example of polymorphing, as they go thu various stages to adult hood.

well everything men do, religiously involves some religion. even electronic engineers, and doctors have their own churches of thought. even granite has a religion, that distinguishes it from quarts, plants or animals. if it was not for religion, we could not tell a dog, from a dogwood. and their bark, would be the same.

and different types of dogs, have different religious barks. even the sun and planets, have an assigned religion. and spiders do not have, the same religious habits as horses. otherwise, you could ride them to the doctor after they bit you. it is religion, that has created diversity. even the atomic elements, have religious differences.

and you have to religiously lie and bear false wittness, to become president of the united states. and that is, totally unacceptable to G-D.

politicians do not get elected to office, by telling the truth. in this world that, only religiously accepts the best of liars.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#41494 Oct 4, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can find Clinton's Convention speech (from last month) on youtube - possibly the best political speech I ever heard.
Obama disappointed tonight. Too "presidential." I think you'll see more of a fighter next time.
For some reason he was caught off guard by Romney lying about his $5 trillion tax cut (and how he will pay for it).
Though Romney/Ryan have been lying all along. So Obama should have been ready. Rough business.
rabbee: well we'll find out, who was the better liar nov 7th. which really makes no difference, in this country against G-D. since we are still sliding, toward the edge of the cliff. and we might only, slow it down with one term presidents. and not let them gain any momentum velocity, toward the edge of the cliff.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#41495 Oct 4, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I did hear Clintons speech afterwords. He hasnt lost it.

We will see how the debate aftermath plays out. I still think it doesnt matter - you cant erase their views with glibness.
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

#41496 Oct 4, 2012
Mohammad , the Ideal Prophet By SYED SULAIMAN NADWI (Abridged) Part-14

Lecture 2. The Life of Prophet Muhammad - the Most
Comprehensive and Eternal Model (Contd)

Credentials of Prophet Mohammad for Role Modal to Whole World:

B. Second Criterion: Completeness:

For a life history to become an ideal for all times, and a model for everyone to follow, it is essential that every aspect of such a persons life should be in the open. No event should be left to secrecy or the darkness of uncertainty. All the events of his life should be as clearly known as the daylight so that his life could become an ideal for the human race.

If we make this a yardstick and measure the life histories of the great men of the past, including the founders of the great religions of the world, no one comes anywhere near this standard except the last Prophet of Allah, Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

We have already established that of the thousands of great prophets and reformers, just a few can be regarded historic in the sense that the details of their life history can be verified through authentic historical sources. Yet even they cannot lay a claim to comprehensiveness because the important details of their life history are simply not available now.

It is only Prophet Muhammads life which is completely known today, even to the minutest detail. This fact also makes it clear that he was the last Prophet of Allah (Peace be upon him).

(Here the learned writer has given details about each major religious groups and how much we really know about their life styles and how they acted. He included Hindus, Buddhists , Jewish and jesus Christ and shown that their life histories are not complete to serve as role models for all humanity for everlasting period- MUQ)

MUQ

Saudi Arabia

#41497 Oct 4, 2012
C. Third Criterion: The comprehensiveness of a biography:

For a biography to be a perfect whole and a complete model for others, it is essential that it should touch all aspects of human life. What is meant by wholeness here is that different classes or different groups of human society need an ideal example to follow.

An individual too, in his various undertakings, his obligations and relations to others needs practical examples to follow. An ideal biography ought to provide that. From this perspective also, we can easily see that no other historical personality comes up to this standard except the last prophet of Allah, Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

What is religion? It is simply the recognition of ones obligations towards Allah and towards fellow human beings. In other words, carrying out ones duties as ordained by Allah, the Creator and Sustainer of all beings. It is only logical and
practical then, for the followers of every religion to find out the details of their
duties and obligations in the life of their respective founders or Prophets and apply them in their daily life.

If you look for mans obligations to Allah and to his fellow beings, you will find them nowhere in such great and complete detail except in the life of the Prophet of Islam (Peace be upon him).

In our world, religions are of two kinds: the ones that do not recognize the existence of God, such as Buddhism and Jainism. Therefore there is no mention of Gods attributes and what the human beings owe Him. It would be futile to look for such attributes as sincerity, love of God and faith in His Oneness in the life of the founders of these religions.

The other kind is those religions that believe in God in one form or the other. However, the available records of the lives of their founders or prophets do not contain the details of their quest for God. In what attributes of God did they believe in? How devoted were they in their belief?

Such details are simply not available in their biographies to show us what our belief should be about God. Apart from the Oneness of God, His Commandments, and conditions for offering sacrifice, there is not a single sentence in the whole of Torah to show how devoted Moses was to Allah.
former res

Broomall, PA

#41498 Oct 4, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I did hear Clintons speech afterwords. He hasnt lost it.
We will see how the debate aftermath plays out. I still think it doesnt matter - you cant erase their views with glibness.
But you can't deny that debates have been game changers in the past - the examples I noted.

Romney's performance was preferred at least 2:1 last night.

OTOH, Kerry is said to have won his debates but still lost the race.

You may be giving the people too much credit for brains. When it is said you you'll never go wrong/broke doing the opposite.

My prediction is that Obama will recover, though it's a shame he wasn't properly prepared last night.

I could tell Romney smelled blood in the wateer towards the beiginning of the debate. He did well.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#41499 Oct 4, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
But you can't deny that debates have been game changers in the past - the examples I noted.
Romney's performance was preferred at least 2:1 last night.
OTOH, Kerry is said to have won his debates but still lost the race.
You may be giving the people too much credit for brains. When it is said you you'll never go wrong/broke doing the opposite.
My prediction is that Obama will recover, though it's a shame he wasn't properly prepared last night.
I could tell Romney smelled blood in the wateer towards the beiginning of the debate. He did well.
From what the analyses seemed to say, Obama was prepared. It was a chosen strategy to be above the fray - and probably the incorrect strategy. His goal was not to knock off Romney but to introduce factoids. Probably ill advised.

I have no confidence in the electorate - they did relect BushII. But I was heartened that they seemed to have intelligence up to before last night night. I guess we will see if that holds or not. If not, it just goes to show how fickle the application of polling really is - i.e. people have pollable attitudes but that doesnt mean they are permenent or that people act on them.
former res

Broomall, PA

#41500 Oct 4, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
From what the analyses seemed to say, Obama was prepared. It was a chosen strategy to be above the fray - and probably the incorrect strategy. His goal was not to knock off Romney but to introduce factoids. Probably ill advised.
This is what I mean by not "properly prepared." He should have been prepared (and willing) to adapt to the Romney who showed up. Romney was in a fighting mood and he prevailed. Obama's handlers should have had him ready for this. Michael Moore tweeted "This is what happens when you have John Kerry for a debate coach."

I understand that he wanted to appear poised and presidential. He did that but lost the debate by popular opinion. He needed to life his head, stop note taking, look Romney in the eye, and engage.
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no confidence in the electorate - they did relect BushII. But I was heartened that they seemed to have intelligence up to before last night night. I guess we will see if that holds or not. If not, it just goes to show how fickle the application of polling really is - i.e. people have pollable attitudes but that doesnt mean they are permenent or that people act on them.
It all may come down to a handful of counties in Ohio and Florida (and Virginia?).

The race will probably tighten nationally, but in this case, thank god we don't have national elections in this country. I'm hoping the swing states will stay in Obama's column.

The rest of the world couldn't believe we re-elected Bush. Neither could I. Mini-depression.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Jacques from Orleans 189,610
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min atypical 1,231,989
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr positronium 53,452
Another chilly, gloomy summer predicted for Chi... 2 hr Civil Blotter XIV 1
Amy 5-22-15 2 hr Julie 8
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr Concerned_American 520
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Doug77 5,988
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 hr editor 99,531
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]