Pit bull attacks Chicago cop

May 13, 2008 Read more: Chicago Tribune 12
A Chicago police officer was attacked and bitten on her right thigh by a pit bull early Monday as police responded to a domestic dispute at a home on the South Side, authorities said. Read more
Ruby Tuesday

United States

#2 May 13, 2008
So the officer was treated and released-- this does not sound like an "attack" to me.

What it sounds like is the Tribune going for the sensational headline again.
Puppies

Palos Hills, IL

#4 May 13, 2008
There's a huge crop of pit bull puppies over at 60629. I see them everywhere and they are usually with little kids 8-10 years old walking 4 pit bull puppies up and down the street, standing watch on street corner. Nobody in this area has to get licenses or anything for their dogs because this is the forgotten side of town, it's a free-for-all.
Furrowed Brow

United States

#5 May 13, 2008
Puppies wrote:
There's a huge crop of pit bull puppies over at 60629. I see them everywhere and they are usually with little kids 8-10 years old walking 4 pit bull puppies up and down the street, standing watch on street corner. Nobody in this area has to get licenses or anything for their dogs because this is the forgotten side of town, it's a free-for-all.
That's not good. Puppies, and kids, raised without supervision or discipline, spell bad news down the road.
Rabid dog

Dover, PA

#6 May 13, 2008
That bites
Kiss

Evanston, IL

#7 May 13, 2008
Ruby Tuesday wrote:
So the officer was treated and released-- this does not sound like an "attack" to me.
What it sounds like is the Tribune going for the sensational headline again.
I agree. They go for low hanging fruit all the time and whenever a pit bull is involved, they sensationalize it. They rarely if ever post a story about a labrador attacking a person and yet it happens often. Boneheads!
Billy Bob

Pleasanton, CA

#8 May 13, 2008
Kiss wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. They go for low hanging fruit all the time and whenever a pit bull is involved, they sensationalize it. They rarely if ever post a story about a labrador attacking a person and yet it happens often. Boneheads!
What exactly your authority to post
what you did?
You don't think a attack by any breed
other than a pit bull wouldn't be news?
Labs rip people up (often) and it
doesn't get reported. LOL
City Resident

AOL

#9 May 13, 2008
See, this is what it takes for the police to start enforcing the licensing and vaccination laws in Chicago --- you have to bite them to get their attention.

The license for an unneutered or unspayed dog is now $50 in Chicago. Think the cops would enforce the law so that owners would get motivated to fix the animals (thereby making them less aggressive)? Heck no, they are too BUSY writing parking tickets.

Maybe the Tribune could do a Freedom of Information Act request to find out just how many owners in Chicago were cited for not having proper dog licensing and vaccinations! And compare it to enforcement in the suburbs.
NRA bound

United States

#10 May 14, 2008
Kiss wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen to that! As if no other kind of dog ever bites? A chihuahua bite doesn't sell enough papers, apparently. And believe me, those tiny breeds can be quick to bite.

We actually cancelled our Trib subscription at one point due to the paper's over-the-top sensationalist slant on pit bull-type dogs.
Brookfield

Roselle, IL

#11 May 15, 2008
NRA bound wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen to that! As if no other kind of dog ever bites? A chihuahua bite doesn't sell enough papers, apparently. And believe me, those tiny breeds can be quick to bite.
We actually cancelled our Trib subscription at one point due to the paper's over-the-top sensationalist slant on pit bull-type dogs.
What? Chicago Trib? <BREAKING NEWS ALERT: PIT BULL FARTS / DANGER!> Sensationalist? I just have a hard time believing that. Why, the stories in the trib <DANGER! PIT BULL FARTS AGAIN / OWNER DOES NOTHING / DANGER!> are always so objective and well-researched especially when it comes to stories about dog bites.
Humanist

Clarendon Hills, IL

#12 May 15, 2008
So the Tribune reports a pit bull attack on a police officer. All the pit bull lovers rise up in anger, accusing the Tribune of slanting its coverage because dog bites by other breeds supposedly go unreported. One way to settle this would be to review all dog bite reports in the police files to analyze how many of the different breeds were responsible. Maybe the pit bull owners will like the results - maybe not. But unless there's an actual count, everything is mere personal opinion.
Pingu

Wheaton, IL

#13 May 15, 2008
Humanist wrote:
Hi Humanist,
The back story is that such stories, like the ones favored by newspapers, cause people to hate and fear these dogs strictly because of their breed or looks. And when people hate/fear something, they go over the top in trying to suppress it.

These forums attract quite a few over-the-toppers, as you may have noticed, who enjoy spewing their bile in public. Those of us who like dogs and know that there are more good pit bulls than bad ones are trying to get the word out about the good ones.

RE your suggestion about police reports on dog bites, such studies are already out there. I can provide them if you're interested, from multiple, credible sources.
No Pitts

Springfield, IL

#15 Jun 4, 2008
I've been bitten by a chihuahua before and I was able to get him off of me in no time, my neighbor was bitten by a pittbull and and had to be hospitalized and eventually lost a chunk of flesh because of it. I don't see the similarities in those two instances other than they were both dogs. Now, I don't know about the actions of the pampered pit bulls in the suburbs but I live in the 60629 area and I regularly see people in the parks where children should be playing using these facilities to train their dogs (i.e. chewing up the swing seats, using the playlot as an obstacle course) and those are the kinds of things children also see and that makes them scared to death of pit bulls and scared to play in their neighborhood parks & playlots. I have yet to meet a "nice" pit bull on my side of town. Shoot, there are laws in the UK (and we need some here as well) prohibiting ownership of Pit Bull terriers, but I'm sure there are plenty of homes w/labs and chihuahua's in them. Open your eyes people!!! All dogs have the potential to harm and kill but their potential is upped 100%!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min ACTUALLY 1,216,733
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 27 min Community Disorga... 52,705
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 31 min rabbee yehoshooah... 71,942
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min Rogue Scholar 05 186,858
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr RJS 8,010
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 hr Cold Front 69,605
amy april 17 13 hr duke86 2
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]