Ex-coach gets life for sexually abusi...

Ex-coach gets life for sexually abusing students -- Elementary ...

There are 44 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 3, 2008, titled Ex-coach gets life for sexually abusing students -- Elementary .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A former South Side elementary school coach convicted earlier this year of sexually abusing five pupils was given a mandatory life sentence Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“The sane guy in Chicago”

Since: Feb 08

Chicago

#1 Jun 3, 2008
HUH? He did this to six students at the same time? I obviously missed the original story here. How can you abuse six children at one time? Sick... Is a life sentence all they can give him?

Most kids are taught before 1st grade never to let a person touch them down there or have them get naked. How does this happen? What parents would let their children go to a teacher's house/apartment to spend the night?
Harold and Kumar

Skokie, IL

#5 Jun 3, 2008
And pastor and priest get off. what about sentencing a few of these abusers to life in prison. They can get all the action they want.
SPELL CHECKER

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Jun 3, 2008
That really moved fast! From January to June and its done? Thats how it should be! Good job!
Parent

Harrisonburg, VA

#7 Jun 3, 2008
If the evidence was clear, he got his due. Now let's see the long list of parents, caregivers, neighbors, and strangers who sexually and physically abuse and kill children get the same or worse. We need a new Bob Greene to go after some of these folks. . .
Tony

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 3, 2008
Lets have the same result for priests who abuse children, and any member of the church who protects such scum.
The catholic church has gotten away with protecting pedophiles for too long now.
So Sad

United States

#9 Jun 3, 2008
Where were the parents??? This just seems really really weird ... almost too weird to have really happened. I didn't follow the story earlier so I don't know the details. So sad.
A Laz

Lincolnshire, IL

#10 Jun 3, 2008
We place too much trust in people. When my son was in 8th grade he played football and the coach had all the players come to his house one night to play and have pizza as they had won the entire season. I picked my son up and the coach answered the door in his underwear. That was the last time I let my son near him and I reported my suspicions. I don't know if anything ever happened. He always had boys in his car.
Perv

United States

#11 Jun 3, 2008
No what he needs is to live among the suburb undercover pedofiles. They are EVERYWHERE in the burbs from Arlington Height to Zion, and everywhere in between! Yes Chicago has our gang problems but at least we can put this trash right up there with John Wayne Gacey,and Jefferey Dahmer!
Jeff

Decatur, IL

#12 Jun 3, 2008
Getting pleasure out of seeing a pedophile sentenced to life in prison is not a whole lot higher on the moral scale than actually committing pedophilia. This guy deserves punishment, there's no doubt about that. I don't think life in prison is the best way to deal with his crimes, but in any case, one should feel more sadness than vindicative, vengeful pleasure in hearing the sentence of this criminal--of any criminal, no matter what the crime. Glee is never an appropriate response to justice. Those who are posting these hateful squeals of revenge should go examine their souls. They only exemplify the pagan turn America has taken with regard to its notion of justice. Folks in our society are quick to defend innocent children--they do it almost automatically--, but too few have any regard whatsoever for the humanity of criminals. Love for the innocent is incomplete if it is not matched by at least a token compassion for the guilty.

I'm perfectly aware of the angry, hateful comments I'm going to get in response to my words here, but those responses will only illustrate my point. Bloodthirsty joy will do nothing to sustain our society. It can only destroy it.
Tony

Chicago, IL

#14 Jun 3, 2008
Jeff wrote:
Getting pleasure out of seeing a pedophile sentenced to life in prison is not a whole lot higher on the moral scale than actually committing pedophilia. This guy deserves punishment, there's no doubt about that. I don't think life in prison is the best way to deal with his crimes, but in any case, one should feel more sadness than vindicative, vengeful pleasure in hearing the sentence of this criminal--of any criminal, no matter what the crime. Glee is never an appropriate response to justice. Those who are posting these hateful squeals of revenge should go examine their souls. They only exemplify the pagan turn America has taken with regard to its notion of justice. Folks in our society are quick to defend innocent children--they do it almost automatically--, but too few have any regard whatsoever for the humanity of criminals. Love for the innocent is incomplete if it is not matched by at least a token compassion for the guilty.
I'm perfectly aware of the angry, hateful comments I'm going to get in response to my words here, but those responses will only illustrate my point. Bloodthirsty joy will do nothing to sustain our society. It can only destroy it.
Rubbish!!
Going soft on criminal scum who bring harm to others is what makes criminals think they can get away with it.
Spineless, weak kneed goody two shoes liberal attitudes like yours only serve to encourage criminals.

Look up "repeat offendor" and "pedophile" and see how fantasticly your policy works.

Anyone who destroys the life of another loses all rights they once had, and should be permanently removed from society.
Joseph V Moschetti

United States

#15 Jun 3, 2008
This life sentence is an example of the idiocy of "mandatory sentencing". The legislators are substituting their so called "judgment" for the ability of a Judge to tailor sentences according to the need which can only be done on a case to case basis.
It is really too bad that "clerks" and "jerks" with political clout continue to be elected to positions of authority. Eventually, it will be a precursor to the decline of our American way of life as we know it.

Since: Oct 07

Evergreen Park, IL

#16 Jun 3, 2008
Parent wrote:
If the evidence was clear
That's the problem there wasn't any evidence. Yes neighbors said kids were in and out of his house. And people on the block called him a mentor to kids (he was a basketball coach etc)

But, I haven't heard any evidence that he raped or assaulted these kids. Maybe the jury heard something we haven't.
socrates

Fort Wayne, IN

#17 Jun 3, 2008
give life no parole the kids will never be the same and he deserves no second the kids don't get a redo

JRO

Since: Jan 08

Seattle, live in Chicago

#18 Jun 3, 2008
the death penalty would have been better, in a couple of years he would start a series of appeals that would further cause pain to the innocent victims and their families, this would go on for years, until eventually he will get release for overcrowding o some mitigating reason, bottom line, he is the scum of the earth, a worm, and should be eating dirt, 6 feet below, not in a jail at tax payers expense.
Jeff

Decatur, IL

#19 Jun 3, 2008
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
Rubbish!! Going soft on criminal scum who bring harm to others is what makes criminals think they can get away with it.
Two points:
1. Whoever said compassion = being soft on criminals? What I questioned in my post was the attitude of bloodthirsty revenge by armchair judges like yourself, who get pleasure expressing hatred for pedophiles--a hatred so far beyond the pale that it calls into question whether the person really wants justice or simply likes to feel the pleasure of seeing criminals punished.

2. Few pedophiles are going to be deterred just because of the threat of the sentence. You can deter other kinds of crimes this way, but sexual crimes do not follow that kind of logic. They are crimes of perversity, not of illicit gain, and perversity does not respond to the threat of the law in quite the same way other criminal urges do. Take rape, for example. In Great Britain, rape rates are roughly the same as here, but only 5% of rape crimes are brought to justice, compared to 20% in the US (that's a bad reflection on GB, by the way, since victims don't get redress--long story). I.e., even though rapists in GB know that they probably won't get caught, they still only commit rape at around the same rate as in the US, where punishment is much more likely. That's why this whole expression of venomous hatred for pedophiles is so sick: people are getting pleasure out of seeing draconian justice in action, but the kind of justice they are getting their thrills out of is not necessarily going to achieve its goals, and far too few of us are really exploring what the most effective way to deal with pedophiles is, beside locking them up for life, restricting where they can live, etc. So in addition to bloodthirsty pleasure, it's a toothless, passive, ineffective pleasure that only makes us all more barbaric and does very little about the underlying problem. An eye for an eye does indeed make the whole world blind.
Joe

Downers Grove, IL

#21 Jun 3, 2008
How stupid is a life sentence for a "one party" child abuser?

Let's see...

You're a sick pervert, and you molest some children at your home one night. So you get a life sentence, and sit on a sex offender registry for life too.

And compare that to this:

You KILL a person, and if it's 1st degree you get 30 years (out in 24), if it's 2nd you could get 10-15 (out in 8-12), and if it's manslaughter you qualify for probation (no jail time).

Oh, and with MURDER you don't have to registry and let your neighbors know you SLAUGHTERED a human being.

HOW STUPID HAS THIS SOCIETY BECOME???
Ron

Hinsdale, IL

#22 Jun 3, 2008
Joe wrote:
Let's see...
You're a sick pervert, and you molest some children at your home one night. So you get a life sentence, and sit on a sex offender registry for life too.
You KILL a person, and if it's 1st degree you get 30 years (out in 24), if it's 2nd you could get 10-15 (out in 8-12), and if it's manslaughter you qualify for probation (no jail time).
Oh, and with MURDER you don't have to registry and let your neighbors know you SLAUGHTERED a human being.
This is my point exactly! Why is molesting a child more severe from a moral standpoint than the actually taking of that child's life? This does not make any sense!
SPELL CHECKER

Woodridge, IL

#25 Jun 3, 2008
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Two points:
1. Whoever said compassion = being soft on criminals? What I questioned in my post was the attitude of bloodthirsty revenge by armchair judges like yourself, who get pleasure expressing hatred for pedophiles--a hatred so far beyond the pale that it calls into question whether the person really wants justice or simply likes to feel the pleasure of seeing criminals punished.
2. Few pedophiles are going to be deterred just because of the threat of the sentence. You can deter other kinds of crimes this way, but sexual crimes do not follow that kind of logic. They are crimes of perversity, not of illicit gain, and perversity does not respond to the threat of the law in quite the same way other criminal urges do. Take rape, for example. In Great Britain, rape rates are roughly the same as here, but only 5% of rape crimes are brought to justice, compared to 20% in the US (that's a bad reflection on GB, by the way, since victims don't get redress--long story). I.e., even though rapists in GB know that they probably won't get caught, they still only commit rape at around the same rate as in the US, where punishment is much more likely. That's why this whole expression of venomous hatred for pedophiles is so sick: people are getting pleasure out of seeing draconian justice in action, but the kind of justice they are getting their thrills out of is not necessarily going to achieve its goals, and far too few of us are really exploring what the most effective way to deal with pedophiles is, beside locking them up for life, restricting where they can live, etc. So in addition to bloodthirsty pleasure, it's a toothless, passive, ineffective pleasure that only makes us all more barbaric and does very little about the underlying problem. An eye for an eye does indeed make the whole world blind.
Pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated. It is a FACT. Life is the lesser of two solutions.

I suspect you have no children, for if you did, you would be gleeful right alongside the others.

No child should have to be put in that circumstance. It's abhorrent and the punishment is fair. All pedophiles should face life imprisonment as the most very lenient sentence, and the death penalty to rid the earth of demented wasted human who have no redeemable value.
reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#26 Jun 3, 2008
chop off his testicles and let him bleed to death. I don't want to pay for this creep's food for life.
SPELL CHECKER

Woodridge, IL

#27 Jun 3, 2008
Joe wrote:
Let's see...
When you molest a child, you have effectively killed them. Ask any molester. Most have been molested, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Incognito4Ever 1,405,607
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Jacques in Orleans 219,699
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 1,265
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Reality 60,663
last post wins! (Dec '10) 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2,280
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 hr RACE 103,160
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 9 hr GEORGIA 1,810

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages