Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: CBS2 51,357

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Full Story

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#49161 Jan 23, 2014
Ace wrote:
<quoted text> No! Marriage is traditional a Religious ceremony.
Marriage is a legal contract. Any religious elements are purely *optional*. That's why Jews can marry or Hindus can marry or atheists can marry. The religious part isn't necessary at all.
Ace wrote:
Genesis 2:24 - Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Marriage in the ancient Hebrew culture was polygamous and women were viewed as property. Is that the "tradition" you favor?
Ace wrote:
There is nothing fruitful, religious or traditional about gay marriage
Fruitful: sure, there is. The same fruit straight couples have: increased stability, legal benefits, kinship bonding, better environment for children, etc.
Religious: irrelevant. Religion isn't a required component of marriage.
Traditional: irrelevant. Tradition isn't an argument in and of itself.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#49162 Jan 23, 2014
Ace wrote:
Genesis 2:24 - Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Genesis 1:28 - And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
There is nothing fruitful, religious or traditional about gay marriage. Most gays that performs gay sexual acts are atheist anyway. Let them have their reunion and get their government benefits is another name besides marriage.
There is room for compromise! Who cares how I won the lottery, just give me the money.
Nope. Marriage is a civil contract granted by the State. You can have a million church weddings. If you don't have a license from the State, you aren't legally married.

Marriage was around long before your silly religion.
Ace

Christopher, IL

#49163 Jan 23, 2014
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
So again no answer to the question.
And again, no hate in my post. Maybe you mistake sternness for anger. Maybe all you can see is hate. Sad.
You didn't get it huh? See HOW IT WORKS IS, KIDS GROW UP. Maybe you'll see it this time. When they are adults see.
And are you trying to say asinine?
Yea straight marriages fail, it's not a news flash for me, but then I don't try to use straight marriage as some lost defense. You pointed out those few gay divorces like that means we don't have the right to marry? Not a good defense. Like, at all.
I apologize ahead of time, but you bore me. I cannot maintain an intellectual exchange with someone of your limited caliber. I'm bored having to continually explain trivial sentences. So, let's not make a big thing of it. Bye.
You are not the one getting it if you believe young people will support gay marriage forever. Young people grow up and mature, just look at us. Many of us was the 60's-70s hippies that is commenting here today.
Peace, make love not war. Now look at us:) In case you missed my earlier post.

Winston S. Churchill 'If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain. There is a lot of truth to Winston Churchill saying.
Yes most of us change as we get older and mature. Don't count on the young peoples vote forever.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#49164 Jan 23, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
why don't you go look up what i said
you're a liar i never said gays should burn in hell
whatever happens to gays in afterlife is up to God.
As for the baker i said he was only following his religious convictions and for that gays who were so filled with hate caused him to lose business and bankrupt him.
Go back to school and learn how to understand what you're reading.
Was the baker unaware of the consequences of his actions, or was he as stupid as you?... thinking he could wave the jesus flag and get away with breaking the law.
Earth Angel

Kenosha, WI

#49165 Jan 23, 2014
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize ahead of time, but you bore me. I cannot maintain an intellectual exchange with someone of your limited caliber. I'm bored having to continually explain trivial sentences. So, let's not make a big thing of it. Bye.
i won't miss you. See now there is honesty.
But i know you'll be back under another name probably one of mine.
Its what gays in here do. Gays are all about intimidation. Not that it works on me.
LOL i'm still here.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#49166 Jan 23, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
where did i say go to MY church ?
i said go TO church
i actually assume you had one of your own
so what now you're going to get mad that i didn't say come to mine ?
Good grief! Church is for Christians. I am a Jew. I'm not interested in going to church, yours or anyone else's. Just how dumb are you?
Earth Angel

Kenosha, WI

#49167 Jan 23, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Opposition to gay rights is based primarily on ignorance and religion. Neither one of those things is holding up very well.
i don't know about that.
Religion has been around since our beginnings.so its holding up better then anything else is.
As for ignorance i have no idea how old Dusty is.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#49168 Jan 23, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
a person should have the legal right to follow their religious convictions.
He didn't treat them poorly.
Denying people service is treating them poorly.

How would you feel if you walked into a business and they said "Nope. You're a Christian. Leave."? Would you feel that you had been treated well?

Do you think the black people who were refused service at restaurants were treated well?

Location hidden

#49169 Jan 23, 2014
Ace wrote:
<quoted text> You are not the one getting it if you believe young people will support gay marriage forever. Young people grow up and mature, just look at us.
Opposition to gay rights has nothing to do with maturity or wisdom; it's based on ignorance and religiosity, both of which are on the decline.

If you believe young people are magically going to stop supporting gay rights, you're in for a surprise.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#49170 Jan 23, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
a person should have the legal right to follow their religious convictions.
He didn't treat them poorly. He didn't throw them out of the store.
there is nothing in that article that said he was mean or rude to them
He just told them he wouldn't make their cake.
Gays love to live in a weird world of exaggeration
He refused service in violation of State law. It matters not if he was polite about it.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#49171 Jan 23, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't know about that.
Religion has been around since our beginnings.so its holding up better then anything else is.
Religion has been around since the beginning?

OMFG! Unbelievable!

Location hidden

#49172 Jan 23, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect. Religious belief in this country is rapidly decreasing, especially among young people.
Earth Angel wrote:
It is always easiest to demonize people when you don't know them. As gay people have become more accepted and come out of the closet, more people have experience knowing them. They are family members, friends, and coworkers, and people realize they should be treated as well as anyone else.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#49173 Jan 23, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
i won't miss you. See now there is honesty.
But i know you'll be back under another name probably one of mine.
Its what gays in here do. Gays are all about intimidation. Not that it works on me.
LOL i'm still here.
Aw..... are you feeling intimidated? Maybe that's because you come from an inferior intellectual position.
Ace

Christopher, IL

#49174 Jan 23, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Marriage is a civil contract granted by the State. You can have a million church weddings. If you don't have a license from the State, you aren't legally married.
Marriage was around long before your silly religion.
How many states was recognized in the U.S. 2000 year ago? Marriage has been happening a long time before states or court houses existed, even before the birth of Jesus lol. The only reason you go to the court house for a marriage license is for government benefits. Those same government benefits can be granted under any name besides marriage.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
truth

Saint Louis, MO

#49175 Jan 23, 2014
I get treated like crap all the time.
I just bring my business elsewhere.
Don't have time to sue every bleeping person that pisses me off.
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
He refused service in violation of State law. It matters not if he was polite about it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Christmas Spirit”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#49176 Jan 23, 2014
Ace wrote:
It can be, but it's more importantly a civil ceremony. The STATE is who sanctions marriage, not churches.

If marriage were solely a religious ceremony, then it would be denied to atheists. It isn't. It's a civil institution.
Ace wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis 1:28 - And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
There is nothing fruitful, religious or traditional about gay marriage. Most gays that performs gay sexual acts are atheist anyway. Let them have their reunion and get their government benefits is another name besides marriage.
No one cares what your sky Santa manual says.
Ace wrote:
<quoted text>
There is room for compromise! Who cares how I won the lottery, just give me the money.
No compromise is required. An institution already exists and we're entitled to it. Sorry you don't like it, but tough.
Ace

Christopher, IL

#49177 Jan 23, 2014
Wingless Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
It can be, but it's more importantly a civil ceremony. The STATE is who sanctions marriage, not churches.
If marriage were solely a religious ceremony, then it would be denied to atheists. It isn't. It's a civil institution.
<quoted text>
No one cares what your sky Santa manual says.
<quoted text>
No compromise is required. An institution already exists and we're entitled to it. Sorry you don't like it, but tough.
No you're the one that don't like it. If all the hetersexuals said to hell with it, let the gays have the title of marriage we will take the title of civil unions. The gays would be screaming foul, we want civil union to lol.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Earth Angel

Kenosha, WI

#49179 Jan 23, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Was the baker unaware of the consequences of his actions, or was he as stupid as you?... thinking he could wave the jesus flag and get away with breaking the law.
i wasn't mentioned in the article so where do you get that comparison from ?
once again you go off into silliness and it makes your post irreverent

HINT if you want to be taken seriously stick what was actually said and by whom.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Earth Angel

Kenosha, WI

#49180 Jan 23, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Denying people service is treating them poorly.
How would you feel if you walked into a business and they said "Nope. You're a Christian. Leave."? Would you feel that you had been treated well?
Do you think the black people who were refused service at restaurants were treated well?
i've explained this before
You can't compare the civil rights movement with the gay movement.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Earth Angel

Kenosha, WI

#49181 Jan 23, 2014
Ace wrote:
<quoted text> No you're the one that don't like it. If all the hetersexuals said to hell with it, let the gays have the title of marriage we will take the title of civil unions. The gays would be screaming foul, we want civil union to lol.
LOL darn i wish i had said that. Good one .

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min wojar 184,228
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min JAG 1,171,810
Word (Dec '08) 32 min _Zoey_ 4,948
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 33 min _Zoey_ 5,335
Adult Nursing Relationships (May '11) 1 hr spchtch76 157
easter house adoptions (Jan '11) 1 hr tara tullock 18
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr scirocco 69,016
anybody know Glen Musielak? Glentech? (Mar '13) 4 hr Chooch 73
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:04 am PST

NFL10:04AM
Richardson was suspended for two Colts playoff games