Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: CBS2 50,619

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Full Story
come on

Chicago, IL

#38078 Mar 1, 2013
Tuck tuck tuck.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#38079 Mar 1, 2013
Obscured by the fact that the Obama Administration submitted a brief against Prop 8 is the brief the American Sociological Association submitted.…ASA’s brief destroys claims made that same-sex households are inferior when it comes to raising children, which is a major argument for those pushing Prop 8. The ASA especially calls out the Mark Regnerus study, which is the recent controversial study claiming children raised in same-sex households suffer adverse efffects. Supporters of Prop 8 made this study a huge part of their arguments in spite of fact that it has been discredited.

http://pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com/2013/03...

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#38080 Mar 1, 2013
ASA said the following about the Regnerus study in its brief (pgs. 26-29):
First, the Regnerus study does not specifically examine children born or adopted into same-sex parent families, but instead examines children who, from the time they were born until they were 18 or moved out, had a parent who at any time had “a same-sex romantic relationship.”. As Regnerus noted, the majority of the individuals characterized by him as children of “lesbian mothers” and “gay fathers” were the offspring of failed opposite- sex unions whose parent subsequently had a same-sex relationship. In other words, Regnerus did not study or analyze the children of two same-sex parents.
Second, when the Regnerus study compared the children of parents who at one point had a “same-sex romantic relationship,” most of whom had experienced a family dissolution or single motherhood, to children raised by two biological, married opposite-sex parents, the study stripped away all divorced, single, and stepparent families from the opposite-sex group, leaving only stable, married, opposite-sex families as the comparison... Thus, it was hardly surprising that the opposite-sex group had better outcomes given that stability is a key predictor of positive child wellbeing. By so doing, the Regnerus study makes inappropriate apples-to-oranges comparisons.
Third, Regnerus’s first published analysis of his research data failed to consider whether the children lived with, or were raised by, the parent who was, at some point, apparently involved in “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex” and that same-sex partner. Instead, Regnerus categorized children as raised by a parent in a same-sex romantic relationship regardless of whether they were in fact raised by the parent and the parent’s same-sex romantic partner and regardless of the amount of time that they spent under the parent’s care. As a result, so long as an adult child believed that he or she had had a parent who had a relationship with someone of the same sex, then he or she was counted by Regnerus as having been “raised by” a parent in a same-sex relationship.
Fourth, in contrast to every other study on same-sex parenting, Regnerus identified parents who had purportedly engaged in a same-sex romantic relationship based solely on the child’s own retrospective report of the parent’s romantic relationships, made once the child was an adult. This unusual measurement strategy ignored the fact that the child may have limited and inaccurate recollections of the parents’ distant romantic past.
Finally, the study fails to account for the fact that the negative outcomes may have been caused by other childhood events or events later in the individual’s adult life, particularly given that the vast majority (thirty-seven of forty) of the outcomes measured were adult and not childhood outcomes. Factors other than same-sex parenting are likely to explain these negative outcomes in the Regnerus study. Regnerus himself concludes that “I am thus not suggesting that growing up with a lesbian mother or gay father causes suboptimal outcomes because of the sexual orientation or sexual behavior of the parent.”
In sum, by conflating (1) children raised by same-sex parents with (2) individuals who reportedly had a parent who had “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex,” and referring to such individuals as children of “lesbian mothers” or “gay fathers,” the Regnerus study obscures the fact that it did not specifically examine children raised by two same-sex parents. Accordingly, it cannot speak to the impact of same-sex parenting on child outcomes.”

lil jon

Saint Louis, MO

#38081 Mar 1, 2013
Suzy has a mom and dad for parents. I explained to her "it is not normal to live that way".
I love my daddies.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#38083 Mar 1, 2013
DNF wrote:
Obscured by the fact that the Obama Administration submitted a brief against Prop 8 is the brief the American Sociological Association submitted.…ASA’s brief destroys claims made that same-sex households are inferior when it comes to raising children, which is a major argument for those pushing Prop 8. The ASA especially calls out the Mark Regnerus study, which is the recent controversial study claiming children raised in same-sex households suffer adverse efffects. Supporters of Prop 8 made this study a huge part of their arguments in spite of fact that it has been discredited.
The Regnerus study has been vindicated of all charges by a peer review board.

Prop 8 occurred before the Regnerus study was completed.

You lie.

Smile.

Location hidden

#38084 Mar 1, 2013
DNF wrote:
ASA said the following about the Regnerus study in its brief (pgs. 26-29):
First, the Regnerus study does not specifically examine children born or adopted into same-sex parent families, but instead exa...ents.
Second, when the Regnerus study compared the children of parents who at one point had a “same-sex romantic relationship,” most of whom had experienced a family dissolution or single motherhood, to children raised by two biological, married opposite-sex parents, the study stripped away all divorced, single, and stepparent families from the opposite-sex group, leaving only stable, married, opposite-sex families as the comparison... Thus, it was hardly surprising that the opposite-sex group had better outcomes given that stability is a key predictor of positive child wellbeing. By so doing, the Regnerus study makes inappropriate apples-to-oranges comparisons.
Third, Regnerus’s first published analysis of his research data failed to consider whether the children lived with, or were raised by, the parent who was, at some point, apparently involved in “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex” and that same-sex partner. Instead, Regnerus categorized children as raised by a parent in a same-sex romantic relationship regardless of whether they were in fact raised by the parent and the parent’s same-sex romantic partner and regardless of the amount of time that they spent under the parent’s care. As a result, so long as an adult child believed that he or she had had a parent who had a relationship with someone of the same sex, then he or she was counted by Regnerus as having been “raised by” a parent in a same-sex relationship.
Fourth, in contrast to every other study on same-sex parenting, Regnerus identified parents who had purportedly engaged in a same-sex romantic relationship based solely on the child’s own retrospective report of the parent’s romantic relationships, made once the child was an adult. This unusual measurement strategy ignored the fact that the child may have limited and inaccurate recollections of the parents’ distant romantic past.
Finally, the study fails to account for the fact that the negative outcomes may have been caused by other childhood events or events later in the individual’s adult life, particularly given that the vast majority (thirty-seven of forty) of the outcomes measured were adult and not childhood outcomes. Factors other than same-sex parenting are likely to explain these negative outcomes in the Regnerus study. Regnerus himself concludes that “I am thus not suggesting that growing up with a lesbian mother or gay father causes suboptimal outcomes because of the sexual orientation or sexual behavior of the parent.”
In sum, by conflating (1) children raised by same-sex parents with (2) individuals who reportedly had a parent who had “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex,” and referring to such individuals as children of “lesbian mothers” or “gay fathers,” the Regnerus study obscures the fact that it did not specifically examine children raised by two same-sex parents. Accordingly, it cannot speak to the impact of same-sex parenting on child outcomes.”
-SS parents cannot have biological children.

-Most children in gay homes are the result of failed heterosexual relationships.

-There were seven family types studied, including gay. All were under the same study parameters. It is the first long term study of family settings. You seem to be requiring special treatment for gay couples.

Man up!

Smile.

Location hidden

#38086 Mar 2, 2013
First, we are not 'brothers' spiritually or naturally.

Now to your replies;

1. If you believe denying marriage to a relationship will prevent love

rK; Love is the foundation of a healthy marriage, regardless of the phsicality of either person of a married couple.
... Considering that the qualification that YOU call a "Cross-cultural constraint on sexuality" is your only stipulation for what you regard to be marriage.

KiMare'a; Love is the foundation of ANY healthy social relationship. The distinction of marriage does not prevent love in any other relationship.

Your assertion that duplicate genders qualify for marriage is not based on any logical fact.

Moreover, I clearly state that at it's 'fundamental' essence marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior, it is not the 'only stipulation'. The very list you are responding to exposes your deceitful attempt to restrict my view of marriage.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#38087 Mar 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
First, we are not 'brothers' spiritually or naturally.
Now to your replies;
1. If you believe denying marriage to a relationship will prevent love
rK; Love is the foundation of a healthy marriage, regardless of the phsicality of either person of a married couple.
... Considering that the qualification that YOU call a "Cross-cultural constraint on sexuality" is your only stipulation for what you regard to be marriage.
KiMare'a; Love is the foundation of ANY healthy social relationship. The distinction of marriage does not prevent love in any other relationship.
Your assertion that duplicate genders qualify for marriage is not based on any logical fact.
Moreover, I clearly state that at it's 'fundamental' essence marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior, it is not the 'only stipulation'. The very list you are responding to exposes your deceitful attempt to restrict my view of marriage.
...at it is 'fundamental essence'....

Nice try, Hunty.

Further, your view of marriage is merely your opinion. While there are certainly others who share your "view", you are in the minority at this point.
gokkod

Pittsburgh, PA

#38088 Mar 2, 2013
youtube.com/watch... ……
Doesnt matter the Military allows Gays,,vote doesnt matter it approved
any way
Steve

Olathe, KS

#38091 Mar 3, 2013
it's just like Illinois, we don't need to worry about 3,000,000,000 dollar debt we have. instead let's put our focus towards who Sleeps with who.

Since: Mar 13

Belleville, IL

#38093 Mar 4, 2013
bad idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Join the blacks, they blame other people for their dissatisfaction in life as well. "Everyone just wants things to be fair." Well, reality check, life isn't fair. Also, think about it like this. How will civilization continue to exist with there becoming more and more gays? Last time I checked, a dude can't get another dude pregnant. Don't gay people, men in particular, have a drastically increased risk of aids? Yes they do. Isn't that expensive to treat? Yes it is. Don't most people with aids not have health care? Well, yes. Who pays for their treatments then? The taxpayer. Oh, well its seems to me the american taxpayer should be up in arms because in a round about way, this will only cost them more. It's also un-natural for a child to be reared by gay's. That is already putting them behind the 8 ball to start their life. Kids are cruel, so why would you want to subject a kid to anymore cruelty? The list goes on and on as to why this is a bad idea. Just my opinion.
I don't know where you get your facts but they are incorrect! For starters gay men are not at the highest risk of contracting HIV / AIDS. Fact: The risk is higher in African Americans, specifically women. Fact: Civilization will continue because not all people are born gay. Fact: Taxpayers do not pay for people diagnosed with HIV/AIDS because grants from private and non private donors like Ryan White Foundation help pay for all of the medications that cost nearly $5000.00 a month. I could easily go on and on about your ridiculous claims but I will leave you with this instead, "The moment you think you know everything is the moment you know nothing". Do your best to remember that quote if you can! Oh yes and that is just my educated opinion...

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#38094 Mar 4, 2013
lil jon wrote:
Suzy has a mom and dad for parents. I explained to her "it is not normal to live that way".
I love my daddies.
Then you have been very naughty.

Just because you have wonderful Daddies and you love them, it's not right to assume that other kids are "not normal" just because they are different, or their families are different.

You need to apologize when you see Suzy at school tomorrow.
lil jon

Saint Louis, MO

#38095 Mar 4, 2013
So being different IS normal?
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have been very naughty.
Just because you have wonderful Daddies and you love them, it's not right to assume that other kids are "not normal" just because they are different, or their families are different.
You need to apologize when you see Suzy at school tomorrow.
Andrew Singer

San Luis Obispo, CA

#38098 Mar 5, 2013
the fact king wrote:
no you wetard 2 daddies wrong to good looking mommy's right just sayin
factless, let me clue you in on something: Gay marriage, civil unions, whatever, still does NOT mean you can marry your 10-year-old son, your cutest wiener dog OR your dead stinking mother under your single wide.

Hope that clears things up for ya, factless!

LOSER!! I WIN AGAIN!!!
Andrew Singer

San Luis Obispo, CA

#38100 Mar 5, 2013
the fact king wrote:
<quoted text>Terry is the BIG loser in all of this & you know who the BIG winner is don't ya...... BIG BUBBA..... all the tiny, pathetic d*cks he has been sucking in the Edgar county jail are NOTHING compared to what he has coming for him at statesville if you REALLY care for terry you better send him some lube & rubbers.....bubba gonna tear that white ass up..... I guess terry shouldn't of MURDERED his mom, trust guys who MURDER women & children get A LOT of sex in prison.......I hear the train a coming......it's coming around the bend..........
Jan, here is your buttplug buddy fantasizing again about your NEPHEW, Terry, being RAPED IN PRISON. How do you feel about that, Jan? Terry is, after all, your BLOOD RELATIVE and factless is just a pathetic dead-mother-jacking, child-molesting, Topix troll.

What you say about your buttplug buddy NOW, Jan?
Andrew Sing

San Luis Obispo, CA

#38104 Mar 5, 2013
the fact king wrote:
<quoted text>Hey purple MANGINA .......... YOU LOST.......... Look on the bright side terry FINALLY will have someone to date........& the winner is..........BIG BUBBA........
Hey, Jan! Here's more of that prison rape fantasy stuff that your BUTTPLUG BUDDY DENIES he is posting.

Yes, we all know factless is a LOSER but here is more proof. My sources tell me that even YOU, Jan, the BUTTPLUG QUEEN, and your slimy handicapped gimp DuaMe, are a bit miffed by factless QUEEN'S fantasies involving prison rape and YOUR NEPHEW.

Keep up the good work, factless. HAHAHAHAHA!! LOSER!!! I WIN AGAIN!!
Andrew Singer

San Luis Obispo, CA

#38106 Mar 5, 2013
the fact king wrote:
<quoted text>What are you winning???? Did you win the annual father son c*ck sucking contest AGAIN???? what is this 10 years in a row.....The judges tell me your son does this little trick with his lips that drive them WILD......MAYBE he could teach it to TERRY PAYTON......It just might be what saves his life IN PRISON WHERE MURDERERS BELONG UNGA BUNGA..........
I win your NASTY ASS, factless! Thanks for asking!!

Yes, "unga bunga," the cry of the factless QUEEN when he jacks his dead mother he keeps under the single wide. Right, factless?

HAHAHAHAHA!! LOSER!!!
fat kings wife

Matawan, NJ

#38110 Mar 5, 2013
Tex wrote:
<quoted text>
You yell that out each time big bubba fucks you up the ass don't you faggot? We know you do and we KNOW WHO YOU ARE. Next time you end up in jail for touching someone's little boy YOU WILL LEAVE JAIL IN A BOX. We have had enough of your shit CHOMO.
Dont you threaten my hubby you big mean man or he will CRY! Now now fat king theres a good boy. dont let the big mean man make you SOB. Mommy will make it better.

Location hidden

#38111 Mar 6, 2013
5. If you desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history

rK; No desecration is to be considered. The same-sex marriage is a matter of Law, first. If it is acknowledged by a religious entity, acting freely within Constitutionally protected right and conscience, it is then and only then, a matter of spirit.

KiMare'a wrote; Every civilized culture is sensitive to the beliefs and practices of other cultures. Especially one that is as extensive as marriage across cultures and religion.

Your attempt to couch it within the legal perversion of a single nation's constitution is simply childish myopic denial. It is in reality a blatantly callous and vulgar desecration to the vast majority of humanity.
Tex

Austin, TX

#38115 Mar 6, 2013
the fact king wrote:
<quoted text>so you Tex is a man well honey lets have a 3 way then maybe have Jan over?
That nasty Jan is all yours fat king. Now that DuaMe seems to be dead, you can have her all to yourself. Have fun!

"UNGABUNGADOO!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Tony Rome 1,126,420
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 15 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,654
Abby 10-23-14 21 min pde 2
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 44 min J RULES 70,087
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 58 min Stina2 98,502
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Concerned_American 352
Hoffa tells Chicago Teamsters they play pivotal... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Grand Birther 179,351
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]