Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBS2

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Comments
32,501 - 32,520 of 48,872 Comments Last updated 28 min ago

“Free your mind”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
So hows that marriage thing working out?
Aids rate down yet? No, it's not, it just hit 81% of Aids infections are homosexuals.
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I am finished with this topic... I can't stand seeing the lies and hate that they post any more. They don't wish to separate fact from fiction, because if they do they wont have an excuse for their hate. I want them to all know that their hate is not going to turn me straight, and I go to bed at night with my girlfriend and a big smile on my face.
Marriage equality is going to happen nationwide whether you like it or not. And... I am still happily living with my gf. Nothing you can do to stop my relationship or my happiness.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
They copied us:
++++++++++
1 Samuel 18 :1> And it came to passe when hee made an ende of speaking vnto Saul, that the soule of Ionathan was knit with the soule of Dauid, and Ionathan loued him as his owne soule.
1 Samuel 18:3> Then Ionathan and Dauid made a couenant, because he loued him as his owne soule.
1 Samuel 18:4> And Ionathan stript himselfe of the robe that was vpon him, and gaue it to Dauid, and his garments, euen to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle.
1 Samuel 20:41> And assoone as the ladde was gone, Dauid arose out of a place toward the South, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed himselfe three times: and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, vntill Dauid exceeded.
1 Samuel 20:42> And Ionathan said to Dauid, Goe in peace, forasmuch as wee haue sworne both of vs in the Name of the Lord, saying; The Lord be betweene me and thee, and betweene my seede and thy seede for euer. And hee arose, and departed: and Ionathan went into the citie.
2 Samuel 1:25> How are the mightie fallen in the midst of the battell! O Ionathan, thou wast slaine in thine high places.
2 Samuel 1:26> I am distressed for thee, my brother Ionathan, very pleasant hast thou beene vnto mee: thy loue to mee was wonderfull, passing the loue of women.
++++++++++
So David was chastised for adultery with Bathsheba, but not with Jonathon?

More gay twirl idiocy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Too late. We already have gay marriage in many places. Our certificate trumps your opinions.
The 'gay' preceding marriage says it all...

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Each individual is free to attach any meaning they choose, to their own marriage.

But from a legal perspective, marriage it is a fundamental right of the individual.

The only eligibility requirement for fundamental rights is being human. We hold these truths to be self evident.

Reasonable restrictions may be made only when a compelling and legitimate governmental interest can withstand judicial scrutiny. Most can agree with the courts that reasonable restrictions include age, ability to demonstrate informed consent, and not being closely related or currently married. Gender restrictions vary among states, and serve no legitimate governmental interest.

While churches may place any restrictions they choose on their own ceremonies, the government can only restrict fundamental rights when a compelling and legitimate justification can be demonstrated.

Procreation ability has never been a requirement for marriage, and therefore fails as a legitimate qualification. Sterile and non sexual people are allowed to marry and do so frequently. Many second, third, ect., marriages include sterile people.

Yet even that irrational excuse for discrimination ignores the fact that gay people can and do reproduce, and are raising children either biologically related or adopted. Denial of equal treatment under the law provides no benefit to opposite sex couple families. It only harms same sex couple families needlessly.

Gay couples are seeking to be treated equally under the laws currently in effect, in the remaining states that do not yet recognize their marriages, and by the federal government.

Neither tradition nor gender provides a legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of this fundamental right.

As Justice Kennedy wrote about the founding fathers: "They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress."

Laws that treat gay people less than equal to straight people are laws that only serve to oppress. It is time to overcome the prejudices we were taught as children and stop harming our neighbors and family members by passing laws that dehumanize and harm gay citizens through denial of the legal equality promised in the founding documents and required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage equality is going to happen nationwide whether you like it or not. And... I am still happily living with my gf. Nothing you can do to stop my relationship or my happiness.
Notice too, the attempt to demonize all gay people, ignoring that the female half of the gay population is the lowest risk group for HIV, most men are not infected, and that more straight people are infected worldwide.

Disease transmission information demonstrates the value of encouraging committed monogamous relationships through marriage.

It also demonstrates the importance of comprehensive education about disease transmission and risk reduction.

But just as it was used in the past to support inter-racial segregation, it fails to provide a legitimate governmental justification for denial of equal treatment under the law.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
Each individual is free to attach any meaning they choose, to their own marriage.
Yes, and their own gender, and their own race, and their own IQ. The list goes on.

However, in each case, reality trumps meaningless assignments of meaning.

At the most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior. Gay couples are a defective contradiction to the very core goal of evolution. Literally 'unmarriage'.

Your attempt to impose an imposter relationship on marriage is a corruption of reality, nature, culture, religions, society and law.

Smile.
the fact king

Brazil, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Im gay and no one loves me in coles county
Big Boob Babe

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Andrew Singer wrote:
<quoted text>
That is because you spend all your time trying to jack all of your neighbors' 10-year-old boys and wiener dogs!! Sheesh, factless... Are you THAT DENSE???
You're a secret admirer? How sweet!
It Gets Better

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

the fact king wrote:
Im gay and no one loves me in coles county
One of the things the ACLU will do while they are working your school district is to set up GSA clubs (Gay/Straight Alliance Clubs)
You will find love

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Procreation ability has never been a requirement for marriage, and therefore fails as a legitimate qualification. Sterile and non sexual people are allowed to marry and do so frequently. Many second, third, ect., marriages include sterile people.

Yet even that irrational excuse for discrimination ignores the fact that gay people can and do reproduce, and are raising children either biologically related or adopted. Denial of equal treatment under the law provides no benefit to opposite sex couple families. It only harms same sex couple families needlessly.

Gay couples are seeking to be treated equally under the laws currently in effect, in the remaining states that do not yet recognize their marriages, and by the federal government.

Neither tradition nor gender provides a legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of this fundamental right.

"The Court finds that neither Congress' claimed legislative justifications nor any of the proposed reasons proffered by BLAG constitute bases rationally related to any of the alleged governmental interests. Further, after concluding that neither the law nor the record can sustain any of the interests suggested, the Court, having tried on its own, cannot conceive of any additional interests that DOMA might further."

"Prejudice, we are beginning to understand, rises not from malice or hostile animus alone. It may result as well from insensitivity caused by simple want of careful, rational reflection or from some instinctive mechanism to guard against people who appear to be different in some respects from ourselves."

Conclusion: DOMA, as it relates to Golinski's case, "violates her right to equal protection of the law under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution" (Golinski.)

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

yikes wrote:
google it: what's #1 on the list.....on every list.
<quoted text>
Odd, not according to Merriam-Webster:

1.a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Odd, not according to Merriam-Webster:
1.a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage>
I noticed you pick an 'updated' for political correctness resource...

Here is a more balanced view from Widipedia;

"Marriage (also called matrimony or wedlock) is a social union or legal contract between people called spouses that establishes rights and obligations between the spouses, between the spouses and their children, and between the spouses and their in-laws.[1] The definition of marriage varies according to different cultures, but it is principally an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged. When defined broadly, marriage is considered a cultural universal. In many cultures, marriage is formalized via a wedding ceremony. In terms of legal recognition, most sovereign states and other jurisdictions limit marriage to opposite sex couples or two persons of opposite gender in the gender binary, and some of these allow polygynous marriage. Since 2000, several countries and some other jurisdictions have legalized same-sex marriage. In some cultures, marriage is recommended or compulsory before pursuing any sexual activity."

However, from a purely scientific view point;

At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.

Gay couples are incapable of mating.

Moreover, the social acceptance of raising children apart from their biological children has resulted in a dramatic decline in marriage, only further exposing the relationship between marriage and children.

You are incapable of addressing these facts, and instead childishly demand I not talk to you.

Sorry.

Smile.
Some Never Came Home

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Mary wrote:
Marriage is a sacrament between a man and a woman
Not any more! So sorry,live with it or be a hateful faux Christian for the rest of your life all the while going against the teachings of Christ!

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Our country was founded "under God". It even says so in our pledge of allegiance, you know the thing they make kids recite every day at the start of school.........
Wasn't that line ADDED in the 50"s?

“"And Stay Off"”

Since: May 12

Tempe Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Why yes it was! Same with the "In God we trust" on our dollar bills and coined also! I bet the author of the pledge is rolling over in his grave at the way they butcherd his pledge with out his permission! It was done during the Eisenhower administration and was ram rodded through by a group of fundamentalist Christians! Fact! LOL

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. The push by religious factions to add "under God" became popular during the McCarthey era of anti-gay, anti-communist fear mongering. It was officially added in 1954.

In 1951 and 1952, the Knights of Columbus adopted resolutions incorporating the new "under God" language into the recitation of the pledge at their various meetings.

"The Presbyterian Reverend George M. Docherty, who counted then-President Eisenhower among his congregation, was seen as influential in pushing the change." [Source: Slate.com ]

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it ironic that it was added just before the word "indivisible", and yet is itself a divisive addition.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

The law trumps personal beliefs about what marriage is, has been, or should be.

Legally, marriage it is a fundamental right of all persons.

The only eligibility requirement for fundamental rights is being human.

Reasonable restrictions may be made only when a compelling and legitimate governmental interest can withstand judicial scrutiny. Most can agree with the courts that reasonable restrictions include age, ability to demonstrate informed consent, and not being closely related or currently married. Within those limits, gay people qualify. Gender restrictions have been shown to be irrational and harmful.

Procreation ability has never been a requirement for marriage, and therefore fails as a legitimate excuse for denial of equal treatment under the law. Yet even that irrational excuse for discrimination ignores the fact that gay people can and do reproduce, and are raising children either biologically related or adopted.

Denial of equal treatment under the law provides no benefit to opposite sex couple families. It only harms same sex couple families needlessly.
observation

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

I keep seeing "the government must treat all people equally"..........that statement is both untrue and
unrealistic.
There is NOTHING fair about life.
Mojo

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

observation wrote:
I keep seeing "the government must treat all people equally"..........that statement is both untrue and
unrealistic.
There is NOTHING fair about life.
Hahahah what nonsense. Life does not treat all people equally, that doesn't mean the government doesn't have to.

You could justify the worst of crimes with that logic.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

89 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min flack 1,079,230
Abby 7-24 9 min Sublime1 9
Amy 7-24 17 min boundary painter 16
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 19 min boundary painter 4,546
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 27 min andet1987 461
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 40 min Rogue Scholar 05 174,518
Word (Dec '08) 40 min boundary painter 4,582
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr edogxxx 97,516
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••