Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: CBS2 51,264

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Full Story
richard hurts

Markham, IL

#36939 Jan 7, 2013
i got a boner from all this sex talk..
Samatha

Dallas, TX

#36941 Jan 7, 2013
You mean Bully and Attack Don't you?

>
An analysis of FBI statistics on hate crimes committed against homosexuals during the time period 2000-2008 shows that the probability of any individual homosexual being the victim of a hate crime during his or her entire life span is slightly more than one percent.[2] Interestingly,“gays” are more likely to commit hate crimes against “straights” than “straights” are to commit hate crimes against “gays.” According to the FBI, there are 3.98 hate crimes committed by each million heterosexuals annually against homosexuals, and there are 4.44 hate crimes committed by each million homosexuals annually against heterosexuals.[3]

Violence against homosexuals by others gets all the press, but it is interesting to note that the great majority of anti-”gay” violence is committed by other “gays.” The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP) is the leading tracker of violence against “gays” in the United States. According to the NCAVP’s statistics on anti-”gay” violence, 83 percent of all violence committed against “gays” is carried out by other “gays” in domestic situations. This does not even count “gay-on-gay” violence committed outside the home.[4]

This confusion is now pervasive in society, and questioning the agenda is simply not to be tolerated – especially among America’s youth.

For example, the classical notion that universities should be “arenas for the free exchange of ideas” has been completely discarded in the United States. More than three-fourths of U.S. colleges and universities now possess codes of conduct that ban behavior and speech based upon, including many other things,“homophobia.” The danger that these codes represent to academic freedom far outweighs their usefulness. This has already been amply demonstrated, as many colleges have severely punished students for merely desiring to debate the topic of homosexuality.

The squashing of dissenting views on homosexuality in the classroom has been going on for decades now. In 1991, a student at the University of Michigan announced his intention to establish a counseling program to help homosexuals leave their lifestyle. He was dragged before a panel of university administrators, unanimously found guilty of “sexual harassment,” and was thrown out of the university.[5] In 2000, the Student Judiciary of Tufts University voted officially to “derecognize” the Tufts Christian Fellowship (TCF) club for taking into account, for purposes of selecting leaders, the beliefs of a member whose views of Scripture and homosexuality were opposed to their own.[6] The TCF was stripped of funding, not permitted to use the Tufts name, not permitted to meet in any room that required a reservation, and not allowed to advertise or announce any of their events or meetings. In 2011, a Fort Worth, Texas high school student was suspended from school for reportedly saying,“I’m a Christian, and I don’t think being gay is right,” during a class discussion.[7] And teachers don’t have it any easier. In 2010 a professor at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign was accused of “hate speech” and relieved of his teaching duties for teaching Catholic doctrine on homosexuality in his Introduction to Catholicism class.[8]
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you also agree it is perfectly acceptable for people to boycott Amway. In other words, this is a non-story.
Samatha

Dallas, TX

#36942 Jan 7, 2013
Political science professor Jean Betheke Elshtain, while highlighting the dangers presented by codes against racism, also points out the difficulties associated with all punitive codes of this nature:“My hunch is that, over the long haul, the upshot of such endeavors [college speech codes] will not be a purified, racist-free, collective student consciousness, but a simmering backlog of resentment at being labeled as a racist, even if one has never committed a racist act or uttered a racist slur.”[9]

No one should attempt to deny homosexuals their basic human rights; which are the same basic rights that we all have as being sons and daughters of God. But it has gotten to the point where we have to fight to preserve our own basic rights — the rights to free speech, religion, assembly, and teaching our own children our values – in order to protect our own families and institutions.

Those who promote homosexuality are forcibly tearing away more and more of the rights of Christians, and the situation is rapidly deteriorating. Who could have possibly imagined just a few years ago that companies would start firing people for writing pro-family articles on their own time, or business owners would be sued for refusing to participate in homosexual union ceremonies?

[2] Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) annual report entitled “Hate Crime Statistics.” Table 1,“Incidents, Offenses, Victims, and Known Offenders by Bias Motivation.” http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm .
sammy

Markham, IL

#36943 Jan 7, 2013
Samatha wrote:
Political science professor Jean Betheke Elshtain, while highlighting the dangers presented by codes against racism, also points out the difficulties associated with all punitive codes of this nature:“My hunch is that, over the long haul, the upshot of such endeavors [college speech codes] will not be a purified, racist-free, collective student consciousness, but a simmering backlog of resentment at being labeled as a racist, even if one has never committed a racist act or uttered a racist slur.”[9]
No one should attempt to deny homosexuals their basic human rights; which are the same basic rights that we all have as being sons and daughters of God. But it has gotten to the point where we have to fight to preserve our own basic rights — the rights to free speech, religion, assembly, and teaching our own children our values – in order to protect our own families and institutions.
Those who promote homosexuality are forcibly tearing away more and more of the rights of Christians, and the situation is rapidly deteriorating. Who could have possibly imagined just a few years ago that companies would start firing people for writing pro-family articles on their own time, or business owners would be sued for refusing to participate in homosexual union ceremonies?
[2] Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) annual report entitled “Hate Crime Statistics.” Table 1,“Incidents, Offenses, Victims, and Known Offenders by Bias Motivation.” http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm .
is your name really SAMATHA ??

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#36944 Jan 7, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Then you also agree it is perfectly acceptable for people to boycott Amway. In other words, this is a non-story.
People can do what they want. They're going to anyhow. But why should they boycott Amway? Amway didn't make the donation. Don't they know the difference? Besides if they do boycott Amway the people who are against same sex marriage will just take up the slack. As long as people follow the Bible & God's teachings he will allow them to prosper. I believe there is an article on here about a record setting event @ Chick-Fil-A where customers came out to support the restaurant for standing up for traditional marriage. God's way will always prevail no matter who does or does not like it.
mary jo

Markham, IL

#36945 Jan 7, 2013
Southern Lady01 wrote:
<quoted text>
People can do what they want. They're going to anyhow. But why should they boycott Amway? Amway didn't make the donation. Don't they know the difference? Besides if they do boycott Amway the people who are against same sex marriage will just take up the slack. As long as people follow the Bible & God's teachings he will allow them to prosper. I believe there is an article on here about a record setting event @ Chick-Fil-A where customers came out to support the restaurant for standing up for traditional marriage. God's way will always prevail no matter who does or does not like it.
now just where in the heck have you bee sweet cheeks -- we miss pick on you !! you been out on a biker run ??or out on patrol ??

“Marriage equality for all”

Since: Jul 07

Illinois

#36946 Jan 7, 2013
sammy wrote:
<quoted text>is your name really SAMATHA ??
No, his name is really SPAMATHA.
citizen

Marion, IL

#36947 Jan 7, 2013
Im glad all everyones worried about is gays getting married. we dont have bigger problems at all. debt, gun laws, education, safety! its a bunch of political BS that someone threw money at.

“Marriage equality for all”

Since: Jul 07

Illinois

#36948 Jan 7, 2013
citizen wrote:
Im glad all everyones worried about is gays getting married. we dont have bigger problems at all. debt, gun laws, education, safety! its a bunch of political BS that someone threw money at.
Most republican leaders are beginning to realize that they have to let go of their gay rights stance. It has not served them well, and mainstream Americans continue to increasingly support GLBT rights.
jaja

United States

#36949 Jan 7, 2013
Saluki Rod wrote:
I wonder how long it'll take the Neo-Nazi Far Right Christians to mobilize against this? It's just letting gays be married, what's the big freaking deal? I'm straight, and see no harm to society.
just because you get bent on the down low and your discrete about it don't make you straight
gay

United States

#36950 Jan 7, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>If you really are an emotionally stunted, maturity deprived, mentally challenged 12 year-old, I'll apologize for what I'm thinking about you right now, but if not... Your original post and your response to the poster who replied to you, demonstrates the lack of intellect and reason we're up against and proves once and for all the need for equal treatment and respect under the law for Lesbian and Gay Americans. Ranting idiotic bigots such as yourself serve to prove the righteousness of our cause, keep up the good work.
I'm gay but I hate almost all gay people. Can see why straight people don't want nothing to do with us. Makes me turn straight every time I hear the mentality of another ms Garrison. Rather puke than listen to it. The good thing about it is, God don't allow sin in heaven. Gay is a sin. Thank God there won't be ant gays in heaven. People are so dumb and naive. I pity them
Michael Clark Duncun

Toronto, Canada

#36951 Jan 7, 2013
jaja wrote:
<quoted text>
just because you get bent on the down low and your discrete about it don't make you straight
Now kindly wipe that ugly brown ring off of your mouth! It isn't very becoming on you Mr. village idiot! I'm guessing you're not a MENSA member are you twinkle toes! Yawn! ;)
Michael Clark Duncun

Toronto, Canada

#36952 Jan 7, 2013
gay wrote:
<quoted text>I'm gay but I hate almost all gay people. Can see why straight people don't want nothing to do with us. Makes me turn straight every time I hear the mentality of another ms Garrison. Rather puke than listen to it. The good thing about it is, God don't allow sin in heaven. Gay is a sin. Thank God there won't be ant gays in heaven. People are so dumb and naive. I pity them
Then I guess this post means that you in fact hate yourself? That is if you were truly a gay person of which you're not! Nice try but take your bible and stick it where the "SON" don't shine! This remains a secular nation with separation of church and state! And for a very good reason I might add! I mean just read your hateful "GOD" post and other hateful posts on this thread and many others! How about you try to actually follow what your Jesus taught! As it is,you're an epic fail!'Sigh"
G-Wiz

Collinsville, IL

#36953 Jan 7, 2013
yuk

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#36954 Jan 7, 2013
mary jo wrote:
<quoted text>now just where in the heck have you bee sweet cheeks -- we miss pick on you !! you been out on a biker run ??or out on patrol ??
You know I don't believe you are gay or that you're really the way you let on. I think you just like the attention; either good or bad. You like to take what people say & twist it into something discusting because you can't communicate intelligently. Poor thing!!!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#36955 Jan 7, 2013
In actuality, there is NO separation of church & state. Read your money; it says "In God We Trust". God is in everything. It doesn't matter if you like it or you don't or if you agree or if you don't. The bill didn't go thru & I think it's wonderful that it didn't & I hope it never does.
jaja

United States

#36956 Jan 7, 2013
Michelle Clark Duncun donut hole wrote:
<quoted text>Now kindly wipe that ugly brown ring off of your mouth! It isn't very becoming on you Mr. village idiot! I'm guessing you're not a MENSA member are you twinkle toes! Yawn! ;)
you sound like your talking from experience. Is that what you did? Wipe the brown ring from your mustache? Or was that your mustache? Bet you looked like hitler. You sound calm and mellow. Is that what dingle berries do to you when you eat them? Try not to eat so many next time. I know it's hard for you to resist them carpet muncher. It's making your breathe stink
bye bye

Albany, KY

#36957 Jan 7, 2013
Saluki Rod wrote:
I wonder how long it'll take the Neo-Nazi Far Right Christians to mobilize against this? It's just letting gays be married, what's the big freaking deal? I'm straight, and see no harm to society.
BOO
Michael Clark Duncun

Toronto, Canada

#36959 Jan 8, 2013
Southern Lady01 wrote:
In actuality, there is NO separation of church & state. Read your money; it says "In God We Trust". God is in everything. It doesn't matter if you like it or you don't or if you agree or if you don't. The bill didn't go thru & I think it's wonderful that it didn't & I hope it never does.
Well lady,there may not be separation by law but there is in practice! How about you try to teach Christianity in the public schools and see what happens! You'll get thrown out on your ear and most likely taken to court! Read my money? You do know that the Pledge of allegiance didn't have "God" in it until the 1950's right? And the "In god we trust" wasn't put on our bills until the 1950's right? A group of fundie's under Eisenhower rammed it through congress when they had the majority in the 50's!
The treaty of Tripoli stated in 1796, Quote, "As the government of the United States is NOT in any sense founded on the Christian religion"
Gee,pretty easy to follow there don't you think? LoL,Now was America founded on Christianity? The answer is NO,Lets see what some of our founding fathers had to say on this very subject,but basically they say you are full of it! We as Americans have the Constitutional right to worship in any way(or to not worship) we deem right for us! NO one religion takes precedence over another! If I worship Zeus that is my right and there is just as much evidence around that he was just as real! Our Constitution is the only supreme law that counts in the U.S. and it also trumps the bible!

http://www.freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfat...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#36960 Jan 8, 2013
Michael Clark Duncun wrote:
<quoted text>Well lady,there may not be separation by law but there is in practice! How about you try to teach Christianity in the public schools and see what happens! You'll get thrown out on your ear and most likely taken to court! Read my money? You do know that the Pledge of allegiance didn't have "God" in it until the 1950's right? And the "In god we trust" wasn't put on our bills until the 1950's right? A group of fundie's under Eisenhower rammed it through congress when they had the majority in the 50's!
The treaty of Tripoli stated in 1796, Quote, "As the government of the United States is NOT in any sense founded on the Christian religion"
Gee,pretty easy to follow there don't you think? LoL,Now was America founded on Christianity? The answer is NO,Lets see what some of our founding fathers had to say on this very subject,but basically they say you are full of it! We as Americans have the Constitutional right to worship in any way(or to not worship) we deem right for us! NO one religion takes precedence over another! If I worship Zeus that is my right and there is just as much evidence around that he was just as real! Our Constitution is the only supreme law that counts in the U.S. and it also trumps the bible!

http://www.freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfat...
Nothing trumps the Bible!!!!! Yes, you can worship whatever you choose; I just know what the consequences of that will be. It spells it out for you in the Bible; but you go ahead. & worship who you want or don't want. That is your right. I choose God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RealDave 1,154,436
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Rogue Scholar 05 181,893
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min Earthling-1 49,247
Abby 12-22 25 min Mister Tonka 5
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 32 min Frijoles 71,131
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Deputy Dog 98,857
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 2 hr Le Jimbo 20
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:57 am PST

NFL 8:57AM
Dominic Raiola says Ferguson stomp was unintentional
NBC Sports10:07 AM
Robbie Gould questions benching of Jay Cutler
NBC Sports10:21 AM
Given history, Dominic Raiola can't get benefit of the doubt
NBC Sports10:31 AM
Cowboys' collapse never occurred
ESPN10:53 AM
Gould: This season not the Chicago Bear way