Try red instead for St. Joseph's Day

Try red instead for St. Joseph's Day

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 19, 2009, titled Try red instead for St. Joseph's Day. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Not that I want to start a holy war, but St. Patrick's Day did nothing for me. I've never felt connected to the holiday, never felt I could pretend to be Irish once a year for seven drunken hours, never had a desire to wear green because everyone else is, even if it does make my eyes pop.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Steven

Chicago, IL

#1 Mar 19, 2009
Ha. Great piece
Wiley Coyote

North Aurora, IL

#2 Mar 19, 2009
I thought I was the only one totally sick of this stupid ass "holiday" being celebrated for at least 2 weeks. Efrigginnough!!
Gio

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 20, 2009
As a life-long Chicagoan and first-generation Italian-American, I foudn this article "did nothing for me" as well.

Is it me, or has the Tribune's reporting standards dropped?

"Italian Kid:#^*$@(*&# your mother."
This might be something common for people on the East Coast, but we Chicagoans, especially within the Italian community, do not go around talking like that. Chicagoans are a bit more respectful of each other than their East Coast counterparts. I assure you, if I or anyone else here went around saying that (and I'm 23), we'd probably be in a wheelchair for life.

Secondly, zeppole aren't "Italian donuts." Donuts have holes in them. If Mr. Borrelli ever had a zeppole, he could give a better description in that they're a creme-filled pastry.

Mr Borrelli, I'm sure you were up all night writing this the day hours before deadline trying to compare Chicagoans with East Coast Italians. Next St. Joseph's day, could Chicago's Italian-American community get a better article for it's signature festival day?
bobo

Columbia, MD

#4 Mar 19, 2013
Actually you are wrong. Zeppole vary depending on region. They are indeed like a doughnut. Looks like one thing is the same. Italians are cry babies from coast to coast. Oh Italians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,548,061
Italian Confessional 7 min Chuckles 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min NotSoDivineMsM 241,546
Illinois is in critical financial crisis. 58 min Genl Forrest 8
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 63,845
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr SweLL GirL 10,834
Time to Fire Trump and Mulvaney 12 hr Joey 2

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages