He zones. She sells. And it's legal. ...

He zones. She sells. And it's legal. -- Sales, Richard M. Daley

There are 357 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 31, 2008, titled He zones. She sells. And it's legal. -- Sales, Richard M. Daley. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It's hard to miss Barbara O'Connor's face on a drive through North Side neighborhoods, where her real estate signs beckon buyers to "find your way home." In the last decade she has built a thriving business ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Promises Promises

Naperville, IL

#45 May 31, 2008
Gotta love the Chicago Irish!

“things that make you go "hmmmm”

Since: May 08

Joliet, IL

#46 May 31, 2008
No ethics violation? I think "no ethics" is closer to the truth.

And, Dave, I'm not picking on you, but it's "schmuck."
tim

West Lafayette, IN

#47 May 31, 2008
these 2 are pimping our city. We need to get zoning decisions out of the city council's hands.
Ghoulardi 57

Chicago, IL

#48 May 31, 2008
Great.
My alderman is a crook.
SURPRISE!!!

Since: Sep 07

Rockford, IL

#50 May 31, 2008
Great article. The only unanswered question remains: what can we do about this? Day after day we read about it yet it still goes on. What's worse, guys like Patrick O'Connor actually have the nuts to say there is nothing wrong with him supporting zoning changes that benefit his wife. You can say 'vote them out,' but the system is so distorted to protect these aldermen and the mayor in their bad behavior, who would step into that role and not end up doing the job the same way? Term limits are a start. People like Mary Ann Smith, O'Connor, Schiller, Schulter and our mayor have been in their posts way too long and have gotten away with this unethical behavior for so long they don't even think there is anything wrong with it.
Former Agent

Chicago, IL

#51 May 31, 2008
It's about time the Trib covered this. Barbara O'Connor has been Baird & Warner's #1 agent (by far!) for years. Her success was built entirely on her husband's political office. Almost immediately after starting in real estate, her sales surpassed veteran agents with decades of experience and long-term working relationships with developers. DUH!!
Shame

Chicago, IL

#52 May 31, 2008
Shame, shame, shame, shame, shame!

Since: Sep 07

Rockford, IL

#53 May 31, 2008
rjinchi wrote:
its about time someone brought the occonnor's practices onto the front page - dont use baid and warner! B Oconnor and her husband has used the system for their own gain long enough! NO MORE BAIRD AND WARNER!
Seriously, shouldn't they be ashamed about this? Probably not since they've been so richly rewarded in all this.
Reality in chicago

United States

#55 May 31, 2008
Thanks Trib! I loved it... When are you heading to the 48th ward? We need you here too!

It is way past time that the media started inspecting what the alderpeople do. constituents? Who are they? These alderpeople represent no one but themselves. Try calling an office at 2 on friday? Anyone there? Nope. Try getting a straight response on an issue- not gonna happen. We vote for the lesser evil- and still get screwed. The system needs to be rehauled. I totally agree with the other reality... limit the terms, cut the pension- get them OUT!
H Shah

Elmhurst, IL

#56 May 31, 2008
There does seem to be a conflict of interest. I wonder if developers with some other sales agents were denied zoning permits more frequently than those with Mrs. O'Conner on the staff.
AZE 2008

Phoenix, AZ

#57 May 31, 2008
The truth wrote:
Keep voting Democrat!
Yeah keep voting Democrat!!! So that Cook County can keep paying the highest taxes in the nation and your alderman and politicians get richer and your Democrat mayor does nothing about the gang blood shed violence in Chicago and other suburbs, oh yeah and I forgot to mention all the illegal immigration problems in Chicago. Did I forget to mention anything else? Oh yeah Vote for Obama so that things get better! Wake up Dumbocrats! You people are like the horses in downtown Chicago wearing blinders on your eyes. You rather live in a corupt City rather to vote for a Republican or an independent.
Daly

Dallas, TX

#58 May 31, 2008
If that is how people conduct themselves it is no wonder they end up as a head line in the Tribune. Takes the Real out of Real Estate.
Just Browsing-Chicago

United States

#59 May 31, 2008
Anyone surprized? Ethics Committee? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaahah ahhahahahhahahahahho hohohohoohooooo
Michael

Dallas, TX

#60 May 31, 2008
It is apparent that Baird & Warner ran their office all for the sole purpose of providing new agents for Open Houses for Mrs. O'Conner's emporium. Lot of talented people left because the office became so one sided. Yes, they made money, the company, broker and the O'Conner's. We need to clean up this system of who gets zoning and if your spouse is a Real Estate Agent, tell them to find another job.
Marcus

AOL

#61 May 31, 2008
thank god for democrats
Mark Adams

Casa Grande, AZ

#62 May 31, 2008
Just the same old crooks that operate in Chicago. At some point voters will wake up and elect council people that are fair and don't have an agenda to be on the council. Buyers and sellers should not use her services until a change is made and her husband is removed from the council.
dmz

United States

#63 May 31, 2008
Lucid Realty wrote:
So, why do people vote this guy in office and why do regular home sellers use this woman? You only have yourself to blame.
Because the other candidates who run are absolutely terrible and the city was in wretched condition. Sure he (Daley) is crooked as hell, but the city is better than it used to be. He is also forced to have higher city government positions for a variety of ethnic groups instead of all white, all black, or all hispanic.
sigh

Chicago, IL

#64 May 31, 2008
no surprise here, seeing as how 27 aldermen have been charged over the years, but lets keep blaming the police for all of this corrupt city's problems because it's more convenient...
leonard hamilton

Prospect Heights, IL

#65 May 31, 2008
Why does the Trib and Sun Times issue these investigations in non-election years? Good reporters would divulge this information so voters can see for themselves how dirty the pols are
Andreas

Mooseheart, IL

#66 May 31, 2008
and why is this story making headlines on a Saturday? it will just be swept under the rug by Monday. PLEASE FOLLOW UP ON THIS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Ghey Ghost 1,745,320
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 49 min Julia 2,572
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 52 min Julia 12,223
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 53 min Julia 3,809
Word (Dec '08) 56 min Julia 6,965
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 57 min Julia 1,065
Change one letter in the word (Mar '12) 59 min Julia 64

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages