He zones. She sells. And it's legal. -- Sales, Richard M. Daley

It's hard to miss Barbara O'Connor's face on a drive through North Side neighborhoods, where her real estate signs beckon buyers to "find your way home." In the last decade she has built a thriving business ... Full Story
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
FrontPage Question

Channahon, IL

#388 Jun 12, 2008
O'Connor is guilty and the Tribune was gentle.

There have been many Aldermen in Chicago's history that have gone from the Tribune front-page to inditement. Does anyone have any stats on the front-page-to-jail ratio?

How long does it typically take from the time of the story until an announced fed investigation?
my kind of town

Clarendon Hills, IL

#389 Jun 13, 2008
How long will it take to get a new Alderman in 40?
Two years and six months. Start looking.
underdog2u

Chicago, IL

#390 Jun 17, 2008
I am a resident of the 40th ward and of Irish descent. I am ashamed of the OíConnorís and their shady dealings. He will not get my vote the next time around. In fact I just received a letter from the good alderman rebutting the Tribune's investigation. I don't believe a word of it. Good job Trib lets get these crooks exposed and out of office!
shysters

United States

#391 Jun 17, 2008
I was once told:"There is a wall that separates alderman O'Connor's official duties and his wife's real estate business."

Apparently the "wall" is made of tissue paper.

Patrick O'Connor and his wife are motivated by only one thing: greed.

The couple is best described as shysters.
Mad Dog

Chicago, IL

#392 Jun 18, 2008
underdog2u wrote:
I am a resident of the 40th ward and of Irish descent. I am ashamed of the OíConnorís and their shady dealings. He will not get my vote the next time around. In fact I just received a letter from the good alderman rebutting the Tribune's investigation. I don't believe a word of it. Good job Trib lets get these crooks exposed and out of office!
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant - or story.

I also live in the 40th Ward. My property value has tripled since I bought it in '85. My police district (20) has one of the lowest crime rates in Chicago. The best high school in the City is about a mile away. My neighbor moved here so their kids can attend Jameson Elementary. My relatives living in Old Irving can't believe the great City Services I get.

You know, you could always move. I hear Montana is nice.

“Grab a seat in REALITY FOLKS!”

Since: Jun 08

CHICAGO

#393 Jun 18, 2008
Mad Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant - or story.
I also live in the 40th Ward. My property value has tripled since I bought it in '85. My police district (20) has one of the lowest crime rates in Chicago. The best high school in the City is about a mile away. My neighbor moved here so their kids can attend Jameson Elementary. My relatives living in Old Irving can't believe the great City Services I get.
You know, you could always move. I hear Montana is nice.
Great- tripled property values in over 25 years... sounds like quite a deal... GOOD GRIEF!!!

Mine have tripled in 10 years, and I live in a ward not far from there... Lets wait and see what happens to all of our property values with the lovely economy. Having sooo many new properties, POSSIBLY poorly constructed and certainly quickly made will not help you when you go to sell.----

NOT to mention that not all kids can get into that high school, so really- it is nothing to the neighborhood- they only take a few "hood" kids the rest are "creamed" from across the city. They call it Chico High for a reason-remember Gerry Chico and his offsprings need for a good school close? YUP another deal. HMMM.. what happened to him?

AGAIN- this is about ETHICs and the workings of public officials padding family pockets at the tax payers expense.
Mad Dog

Springfield, IL

#394 Jun 19, 2008
chicago minx wrote:
<quoted text>
Great- tripled property values in over 25 years... sounds like quite a deal... GOOD GRIEF!!!
Mine have tripled in 10 years, and I live in a ward not far from there... Lets wait and see what happens to all of our property values with the lovely economy. Having sooo many new properties, POSSIBLY poorly constructed and certainly quickly made will not help you when you go to sell.----
NOT to mention that not all kids can get into that high school, so really- it is nothing to the neighborhood- they only take a few "hood" kids the rest are "creamed" from across the city. They call it Chico High for a reason-remember Gerry Chico and his offsprings need for a good school close? YUP another deal. HMMM.. what happened to him?
AGAIN- this is about ETHICs and the workings of public officials padding family pockets at the tax payers expense.
So your property value tripled in 10 years BUT - there are "sooo" many new properties, that are "POSSIBLY" poorly contructed and "quickly" made and they might not sell. Now THERE's a reason to be mad.

The high school is bad because it has standards. Or is it good because what was once a salt yard is now a nationally recognized high school keeping good students and their families from moving to political utopias like, say, DuPage County.

Can anyone say, "chronic complainer?"

CHICAGO

#395 Jun 19, 2008
Mad Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
So your property value tripled in 10 years BUT - there are "sooo" many new properties, that are "POSSIBLY" poorly contructed and "quickly" made and they might not sell. Now THERE's a reason to be mad.
The high school is bad because it has standards. Or is it good because what was once a salt yard is now a nationally recognized high school keeping good students and their families from moving to political utopias like, say, DuPage County.
Can anyone say, "chronic complainer?"
Way to attempt to twist words buster... nice fail.

Anyhow- the point again-

A school that does not serve the community students is not necessiarily an asset to the community. It is like a private school that uses public funds.

Consider my point. We do not have the massive building in my hood- so I do not have to worry about selling against those possibly shoddily constructed homes, not to mention, none of them can match my location. However, there was a point. You missed it.

PUBLIC EMPLOYEES must function with integrity. These two do not have it.

He zones, she sells, they both profit. DISGUSTING!
Mad Dog

Springfield, IL

#396 Jun 19, 2008
chicago minx wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to attempt to twist words buster... nice fail.
Anyhow- the point again-
A school that does not serve the community students is not necessiarily an asset to the community. It is like a private school that uses public funds.
Consider my point. We do not have the massive building in my hood- so I do not have to worry about selling against those possibly shoddily constructed homes, not to mention, none of them can match my location. However, there was a point. You missed it.
PUBLIC EMPLOYEES must function with integrity. These two do not have it.
He zones, she sells, they both profit. DISGUSTING!
No need for me to twist your words, anyone can read them for themselves.

I have yet to hear anyone from the area agree with your opinion on North Side College Prep.

I suspect you are disgusted on a regular basis and I doubt anyone will lose any sleep over it.
Term Limits

Pleasanton, CA

#397 Jun 19, 2008
Seriously. Are term limits the answer for everyone? And by that I mean all city, county, state, and federal elected officials. It seems to me that if you're not in a job for life, you can't become a king (Daley) and hopefully there's less of a chance of you're becoming a powerful and corrupt alderman like O'Connor (and many others).

CHICAGO

#398 Jun 19, 2008
Mad Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
No need for me to twist your words, anyone can read them for themselves.
I have yet to hear anyone from the area agree with your opinion on North Side College Prep.
I suspect you are disgusted on a regular basis and I doubt anyone will lose any sleep over it.
Don't really care what your opinion of me is..

Talk with some people who do know the status of high schools in the city, the process for funding, and the student selections. See if you really feel that this schools is an asset to your neighborhood. It does the city elite well, but your ward?
Ignorance is bliss.

Actually, I lead a happy life. I try to stay FAR away from people like the O'Connors and their crowd. i prefer to live with integrity, ethics, and transparency.
Mad Dog

Springfield, IL

#399 Jun 19, 2008
A disgusted but happy compulsive blogger. Good grief.
intelligent cat

Munster, IN

#400 Jun 20, 2008
Who cares?

The O'Connor's are shysters!
Moron-Buster

Audubon, IA

#401 Jul 23, 2008
Patty McFaker wrote:
Scummy O'Connor staff (paid by our taxes) at it again:
Post #385 "Patricia McGarr" has claimed that she is an MAI Appriaser. She is not. She is a fake name and/or has given fake credentials. Please Check the MAI Appraiser look-up directory to verify. Here is the link:
http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/findapprais...
She is listed under her full name, Patricia Beaver-McGarr, MAI. Better fact-checking next time bub.
RatsOB

Chicago, IL

#402 Mar 29, 2013
My friend made the huge mistake of buying a condo at 5321 N Lincoln Avenue which Barbara O'Connor had the listing - along with others in the building developed by Vuk Builders.

The Alderman and his wife had purchased a unit in the building themselves as Pat has disclosed on public record.

Well Barbara got on the Condo Board when it was turned over from the developer in early 2008.

You can get the Illinois Non-profit Corp annual plan filings for Lincoln Avenue Terraces Condo Association online from Secretary of State and asked for 2008.

You will find Barbara's name listed as Secretary

Also listed on the SoS filing as Board member is woman named Susan Spillane who is Director of Dean of Students at Northside College Prep

Susan bought unit in Building in 2006 after she got job at NCP

Ironically Meredith O'Connor got on Northside College Prep Local School Council in 2007 and had a vote in releasing funds from Friends of Northside Charity to cover things like departmental stipends to folks like Susan who was counselor and over special programs. Meredith is Barbara O'Connor sister n law who used to work for Daley

There was a city grant to Friends of Northside charity for $170,000 in early 2009 for this Celestial Garden project. Monies got distributed thru 2011 as Barry Rogers requested and LSC members voted to dispense to cover funding gaps.

Northside LSC meeting minutes seem to indicate Susan Spillane position was in cross hairs for CPS budget cuts during 2011, but seems like miracle changed it. As big check for $94,000 got cut to charity and then CPS for this Celestial Garden

Well the developer didn't turn overall the funds from what they can tell in 2008 and there was a roof problem that should have been fixed by developer too.

Susan Spillane ignored all her condo board obligations and never had board provide unit owners with annual budgets or accounting of expenses.

Worse she let some bizarre action on 4/02/08 stand that involved Hilary O'Connor attending board meeting when she wasn't on unit title and she voted on lowering commercial unit owners monthly rate to $90 and raised all residential to flat $180

That was unlawful since must be based on % unit ownership

That stood for 40 months and unjustly enriched the commercial unit owners

My friend tried to get corrected but Susan Spillane on Board still and she has aggressively taken legal action for forcible eviction via the Board of Managers to take possession of their unit.

The basis was a trumped up ledger of unpaid balance since 2006...

Well he first court appearance was March 27, 2013 and next is April 10th, so this crap likely come out soon enough.

Moral of story, Don't ever buy a condo listed by Barbara where her and husband own too, and so do their friends and associates

It isn't a Dream she sold them, it is nightmare

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#403 Mar 29, 2013
Chirp. Chirp. Chirp.
RatsOB

Chicago, IL

#404 Mar 29, 2013
My friends only 50% Irish so that must be their problem Haha

I feel bad for going with them to the showing and after hearing Barbara sales pitch I said she seems like someone that knows a deal.

I'm just glad I'm not in the 40th ward

That is the craziest circus I've ever seen with their condo association

Apparently they did some big roof repair job and never even picked a licensed contractor in city or got permits

They picked some guy who only permits seem to be remodeling his house in Highland Park - no experience it seemed in Cook County

Sure the union be happy bout Alderman building not using licensed in Cook County contractor

It looks like odd stuff for sure

That condo association needs a good forensic accountant on look over compliance issues and get them on right path

If you believe in Easter Bunny look for him in 40th ward hiding eggs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,124,619
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Who 47,477
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 19 min Sublime1 98,495
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min jacques Ottawa 179,253
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 21 min Hatti_Hollerand 649
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 23 min Boy G 50,583
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 31 min TRD 68,635
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]