Sick of Toyota's 'Saved by Zero' ad? ...

Sick of Toyota's 'Saved by Zero' ad? You're not alone

There are 327 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 13, 2008, titled Sick of Toyota's 'Saved by Zero' ad? You're not alone. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Tired of the "Saved by Zero" ad campaign for Toyota? Even the '80s new wave band The Fixx doesn't care for it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Redshoe

Chicago, IL

#1 Nov 13, 2008
The commercial is such a turn of that I've never watched it the whole way through. In fact I didn't even know if was for Toyota, I assumed it was for GM or another USA car. Shows how quick I stop watching it the second I hear that song.
Query

Braidwood, IL

#2 Nov 13, 2008
Finally.
lucky77

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 13, 2008
Holy COW! I thought I was the only one. I hate it, hate it, HATE IT!

There will be SO many people seeing this headline on the Trb's website, pointing to the headline, and yelling, "Yes! I thought I was the only one!"

I feel validated somehow :P
Salsa Shark

Streamwood, IL

#4 Nov 13, 2008
Toyota really thinks that a five-second loop of a vague song from the 80's that has nothing to do with saving money is bringing people into their showrooms?

Wow.
Anthony C

Stevensville, MI

#5 Nov 13, 2008
I don't understand the dislike. It's just "there" for me, much like any other commercial.
Mike

Montgomery, IL

#6 Nov 13, 2008
Thank god for the fast forward button on my DVR. I have no idea what that commercial is.
Marketing Dept

South Elgin, IL

#7 Nov 13, 2008
The fact that it gets stuck in your head and people are talking about it means that Toyota's marketing department did a great job. I agree that it can be annoying after a while but it sure does make you think about buying a Toyota! I know I looked more at their current offerings because of it. Maybe the US car makers can learn something from them....
SharonD

Hampshire, IL

#8 Nov 13, 2008
I have a "mute" button, and I know how to use it.
Toyota

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 13, 2008
We jumped the shark, sorry folks. Desperate times call for desperate meaasures. Bygones?
Stuck at Work

Bartlett, IL

#11 Nov 13, 2008
I'll take this one if CLTV finds another spot to run instead of "Steve the Door" for Farmer's!! Every stinkin' commercial break... There's gotta be another option!
Rob

Skokie, IL

#12 Nov 13, 2008
Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero! Saved by zero!

God almighty shut the H-E-double-L up!
Jon

Griffith, IN

#13 Nov 13, 2008
lucky77 wrote:
Holy COW! I thought I was the only one. I hate it, hate it, HATE IT!
There will be SO many people seeing this headline on the Trb's website, pointing to the headline, and yelling, "Yes! I thought I was the only one!"
I feel validated somehow :P
I'm with ya! It's nice to know I'm not the only only suffering.
Salsa Shark

Streamwood, IL

#14 Nov 13, 2008
Marketing Dept wrote:
The fact that it gets stuck in your head and people are talking about it means that Toyota's marketing department did a great job. I agree that it can be annoying after a while but it sure does make you think about buying a Toyota! I know I looked more at their current offerings because of it. Maybe the US car makers can learn something from them....
No, it doesn't make me think about buying a Toyota. It makes me think about what idiots advertising executives are.

I also won't buy carpeting from Luna or windows from Feldco solely because their commercials are insultingly inane.
Salsa Shark

Streamwood, IL

#15 Nov 13, 2008
Anthony C wrote:
I don't understand the dislike. It's just "there" for me, much like any other commercial.
For me, there are several reasons. But mainly, it wasn't a particularly good song to begin with. In fact, I can't think of a Fixx song that was one I'd want to listen to again. Maybe "Red Skies"...I dunno.

Also, the commercial keeps repeating the same short loop of the song over and over again...
I HATE TOYOTA

Chicago, IL

#16 Nov 13, 2008
There is even an online petition you can sign to let Toyota know that it is not okay to make our ears bleed!

Please sign here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/Savedby0/petiti...
I HATE TOYOTA

Chicago, IL

#17 Nov 13, 2008
Marketing Dept wrote:
NEVER!
I HATE TOYOTA

Chicago, IL

#18 Nov 13, 2008
I kid you not. Just as I started to type this post, ANOTHER "saved by zero" commercial came on the boob tube.
Mike

Naperville, IL

#19 Nov 13, 2008
Man, thought I was the only one! It makes me turn off whatever is on, I change the channel on the tv or put a new radio station on!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#20 Nov 13, 2008
The only thing that would "Save" me would be to see/here that commercial "Zero" more times!!!
Thin The Herd

West Des Moines, IA

#21 Nov 13, 2008
I'm sick of most ads. Just DVR the shows you want to watch, and skip the ads.

Satellite radio lets you listen to music w/o ads, and there's the I-Pod as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min VetnorsGate 1,759,503
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 4 hr The real Rudy 77
Trump is A (Oct '17) 4 hr CrunchyBacon 761
Insane Popes 34th Hoyne Park (Nov '12) 6 hr St63rd 25
Straight 4 bi 1st time 7 hr friend 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 hr FARTS DOG 64,672
where to score h in chicago (Jul '12) 8 hr Yoyo 10

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages