Amy 1/4/13

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of46
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 4, 2013
 
Judge Janie wrote:
And don't you just love the part about how their "social and professional associations are different" from the rest of the neighborhood? Could they be any more snobbish?
No shit. I could not even tell you where my neighbors work, much less what social and professional associations they have.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 4, 2013
 
L2: I'm semi-weirded out by this as well, but if all y'all parents think it's cool, then I am, too. It's not the grandma's business.

I just think about when the mom actually wants to get anything done or spend some time alone and this kid is clingy as hell. I just couldn't deal with that. Or, the mom wants to *keep* being the girl's best friend as a teenager when she really needs a mother figure.

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jan 4, 2013
 
I think if a girl was just as attached to her father in that way, people might suspect there could possibly be some molestation going on. Women can be guilty of the same thing...
This relationship doesn't sound the most healthy.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jan 4, 2013
 
I think the daughter will break free soon enough. She'll be 13 in two years and watch the shit hit the fan.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

LW1: One of the advantages of being a homeowner is to be able to paint your house every color of the rainbow, plant whatever the heck you want to in your yard, and put out all of the "whimsical concrete figures" your heart desires. You need to check yourself because you have become an insufferable snob. Why don't you come down off your high horse and accept the new neighbors' dinner invitations? Or issue one of your own. Make friends with people who don't think exactly like you and expand your world a bit.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jan 4, 2013
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I think the daughter will break free soon enough. She'll be 13 in two years and watch the shit hit the fan.
Yup.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jan 4, 2013
 
It was over christmas break too. I know that I'm able to take more time to do fun things with them at night because they don't have to get up early and get ready for school and such and I don't have to get lunch prepped for the next day either.

I bet things are not quite as snuggly when sh!t actually has to get done.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jan 4, 2013
 
LW1 - i know a couple neighbors by name, and only a couple more from the block by sight. the guy who owns the house across the street doesn't live there, but supposedly is there nearly every day (his childhood house or soemtihg like taht), but in 4 years i've never met him. hell, if someone wanted to bring some "seomthign" to the neighborhood and invite people over, it'd be a step up around here. leave 'em be...

LW2 - and family togetherness is such a problem because...?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Kuuipo wrote:
LW1: One of the advantages of being a homeowner is to be able to paint your house every color of the rainbow, plant whatever the heck you want to in your yard, and put out all of the "whimsical concrete figures" your heart desires. You need to check yourself because you have become an insufferable snob. Why don't you come down off your high horse and accept the new neighbors' dinner invitations? Or issue one of your own. Make friends with people who don't think exactly like you and expand your world a bit.
If my primary asset is a $350,000 house I am not keen on gnome trolls, fallen tree trunks and Christmas lights in April on teh block.

I don't have a HOA but our village has soem ordinances which would address the Christmas lights and tree trunks, maybe more.

That being said, the neighbors on my block like each other and have BBQ's and block parties, occasional holiday open houses and peopel all come. Even teh woman next door who is into inflatable lighted figures on the front lawn. She, too, will pass.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

Then move. My rights as a homeowner supersede your snobbery.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If my primary asset is a $350,000 house I am not keen on gnome trolls, fallen tree trunks and Christmas lights in April on teh block.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jan 4, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
Then move. My rights as a homeowner supersede your snobbery.
<quoted text>
I don't think it's snobbery as much as it is a difference in taste of decor. Different neighborhoods have different "flavors".

And if someone keeps a bunch of cheap nomes, pink flamingos, dead tree trunks, and lawn that looks like crap at their house in a neighborhood that is usually Home & Gardens-type decor, it could affect resale b/c people who would move into the neighborhood would not want to move next door to it or near a house like that usually.

That being said, if they are within the laws, ordinances and any (if any) HOA, I think you need to keep it zipped and not complain.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jan 4, 2013
 
squishymama wrote:
It was over christmas break too. I know that I'm able to take more time to do fun things with them at night because they don't have to get up early and get ready for school and such and I don't have to get lunch prepped for the next day either.
I bet things are not quite as snuggly when sh!t actually has to get done.
I can see that, too.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RACE wrote:
Then move. My rights as a homeowner supersede your snobbery.
<quoted text>
How about my property value?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jan 4, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's snobbery as much as it is a difference in taste of decor. Different neighborhoods have different "flavors".
And if someone keeps a bunch of cheap nomes, pink flamingos, dead tree trunks, and lawn that looks like crap at their house in a neighborhood that is usually Home & Gardens-type decor, it could affect resale b/c people who would move into the neighborhood would not want to move next door to it or near a house like that usually.
That being said, if they are within the laws, ordinances and any (if any) HOA, I think you need to keep it zipped and not complain.
This.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>How about my property value?
Unless your neighbor is breaking the law, your property value is irrelevant.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jan 4, 2013
 
Of course this is why HOA's were invented. You trade away some of the freedom in order to get owners to buy in to a set of restrictions and guidelines.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jan 4, 2013
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Unless your neighbor is breaking the law, your property value is irrelevant.
Exactly. But the likelihood of having someone in one of the North Shore suburbs of Chicago having a crappy yard is low. Taxes are very high there, schools are excellent, yadda, yadda.

I suppose it could happen, though.

AND, of course, someone who had a horrible yard in an expensive neighborhood probably would get harrassed. Not saying it's right, just saying that's the most probable reaction.
EJG

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jan 4, 2013
 
squishymama wrote:
LW1: "What is appropriate to help make them welcomed?"
How's about accepting their f*cking dinner invitations. These folks are nicer than I'd be, since it seems they tried *more than once* to be good neighbors and you were too f*cking snooty to be bothered.
LW2: That you find this a problem is unfathomable to me.
LW3: Grandma could help with the dressing poorly part but otherwise should butt out.
>>

LW2 really does sound jealous to me.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jan 4, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. But the likelihood of having someone in one of the North Shore suburbs of Chicago having a crappy yard is low. Taxes are very high there, schools are excellent, yadda, yadda.
I suppose it could happen, though.
Having money does not equal having good taste.

There's a house on the next block over from us that must collect every discarded toy, sign, lawn chairs, and even manniquin parts that they come across and display it in their front yard. They have a tree full of naked, missing limbed barbies and manniquin legs, with hose and shoes, sticking out of the bushes.

I laugh at it every time we pass it, but I'm sure the neighbors hate it. Can't really see it bringing property values down, tho. All that sh!t can be thrown away in a matter of minutes. Now, Mr. T cutting down all the trees on his property is a different thing.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

What about it? It's your dirt, I got nothing to say about it. Now kindly extend to me this very same courtesy.

Its a total misconception that a less than stellar yard will impact your home value. Anyone with such an attitude looking for a home would gravitate to a HOA environment.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>How about my property value?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of46
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

69 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min shinningelectr0n 1,072,036
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,149
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Rogue Scholar 05 173,602
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 min ritedownthemiddle 45,466
Blood on the Fourth of July 42 min reality is a crutch 1
Amy 7-11 1 hr Kuuipo 9
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr voice of peace 67,529
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••