Girl killed, cousin wounded in Back of the Yards shooting

Police this morning were searching for a white van in connection with a shooting in Chicago's Back of the Yards neighborhood that killed a 16-year-old girl and injured her teenage cousin. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Steve S

United States

#1 Dec 17, 2007
Chicago is turing into Beruit. Every day there is a killing in the streets with no obvious motive. When the hell is this going to stop?

I think Chicago needs to form a Militia that is sanctioned by the City, and given temporary police powers so as to help weed out the killers in our midst.

Either that or good old fashioned National Guard deployment into the streets of our once fair city.
Larry

United States

#2 Dec 17, 2007
Steve S wrote:
Chicago is turing into Beruit. Every day there is a killing in the streets with no obvious motive. When the hell is this going to stop?
I think Chicago needs to form a Militia that is sanctioned by the City, and given temporary police powers so as to help weed out the killers in our midst.
Either that or good old fashioned National Guard deployment into the streets of our once fair city.
Still safer then Detroit or Camden NJ.
Julie

Chicago, IL

#3 Dec 17, 2007
This makes me sick inside..
Go SOX-Hawks-Bears

AOL

#4 Dec 17, 2007
Steve S wrote:
I think Chicago needs to form a Militia that is sanctioned by the City, and given temporary police powers so as to help weed out the killers in our midst.Either that or good old fashioned National Guard deployment into the streets of our once fair city.
Still safer than alot of places. Most of the killings are in concentrated gang areas. Not that it makes it alright because it does not but the news makes it seem like there are killings all day long in the heart of the tourist, shopping,residential districts. We walk the streets at 3 am every morning (work) for the last 15 years and are still here to type about it. Compared to other Big Cities Chicago is the safest. You dont go into certain areas Of Course but MOST shopping/residential areas and tourist areas are extremely safe and clean.
rosco

Chicago, IL

#5 Dec 17, 2007
Why is it that areas with high numbers of minorities seem to violence prone? Can't these people just get along? Or is shooting up the place the only thing they know?
Done

Naperville, IL

#6 Dec 17, 2007
There no justice in this world. If we start killing these killer! Then just maybe they will think twice.
So insightful

Saint Petersburg, FL

#7 Dec 17, 2007
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Still safer then Detroit or Camden NJ.
Wow! That's saying a whole lot. What standards you have!
Leonard Watson

United States

#8 Dec 17, 2007
The solution to much (not all) of this problem is so simple but Daley and the rest of the liberal politicians who run this city will never accept it.

Chicago, and all of America for that matter, needs a universal Right to Carry Concealed Hand Gun Law. If more people were armed, then criminals would have to think twice before attacking. Every criminal wants and unarmed victim because the victim cannot fight back.

Illinois also needs to pass a Castle Doctrine law. The Castle Doctrine law basically says that an individual has the right to protect themselves and their property with deadly force, if necessary, without the fear of prosecution.

If Illinois would pass these two laws and give illinois citizens back their second amendment rights we could stop much of the crime and gun violence in this city and state.

Unfortunately, too many people in Chicago are unwilling to see the truth and keep electing this anti-gun mayor and other anti-gun politicians.

Until we give the people their right to protect themselves back there will continue to be an escalation of gun violence. The easiest target in the world is an unarmed populace.
TOM SLICK

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 17, 2007
Looks of a gang hit to me. They couldn't even wait until it got dark. Now that's bold.
taxpayer

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Dec 17, 2007
These areas just breed this crime, through low education, unmarried mothers, drugs, and the lack of hope. The problem is that this portion of the population also produces lots of children that are raised on welfare and SSI, and the beat goes on.
seeyaalright

Dallas, TX

#11 Dec 17, 2007
i lived in the Eden Green area of South Chicago. It was a predominately Black middle class area not far from Altgeld Gardens which had a violent reputation in the late 70's and early 80's. Part of the crime problem was not establishing a zero tolerance crime stance and letting crime spread therefore into the Eden Green area.
Politicians looted the cofers for self. Some police turned a blind eye.
The crack epedimic turned crime up a notch.
Instead of lowering crack related sentences they should have raised powder cocaine sentencing.
rosco wrote:
Why is it that areas with high numbers of minorities seem to violence prone? Can't these people just get along? Or is shooting up the place the only thing they know?
Chicagoan

United States

#12 Dec 17, 2007
chicago has a higher crime rate than Ny, Los angeles, San francisco, phoenix, seattle, portland and many other cities, so i'm not sure how you can say chicago is safer. It has the oldest and most entrenched gang nation in the country, despite what the media may say and romanticize about LA.
chicago's crime rate, dwarfs LA's. In addition, there are major news stories on how homicides are reclassified and covered up in this city. it's the most corrupt city in the country. recognize and do your research. most murders in all cities don't occur in ritzy, tourist areas either. at the same time, people have been killed in the last two years, at the taste of chicago, and several deaths at gold coast/ goose island nightclub spots. so tell me, do you really know what you're talking about? Crime is way down, 2003 was a different time even then last year and this year. but crime's generally down nationwide. Chicago is safer than it once was, but it is by no means safer than most big cities. educate yourself, come to chicago.
Chicagoan

United States

#13 Dec 17, 2007
lake bluff resident, stay in your insulated, mega rich fantasy land and don't make comments on places you've never seen or been. do you even know where back of the yards is w/o reading this article first? have you ever been there? do you understand the social conditions that exist in communities where homes cost less than 1.2 million???
sociologist

United States

#14 Dec 17, 2007
chicago was the murder capital in 2003, 600 murders, more than LA and new york who have 1 million more residents, and 5 million more residents respectively. Crime rates in chicago are much higher than LA and NY for the last 15 years.
staci

Cedar Rapids, IA

#15 Dec 17, 2007
rosco wrote:
The problem is not high numbers of minorities, but high numbers of poor, uneducated people living in areas that were once middle class but are quickly on the down swing. Unfortunately, if you live in the city and on the south or west side, your neighborhood was probably given a dispoportionate number of Section 8 housing when the projects and row houses were disbanded. These people brought their issues and crime to these neighborhoods with no checks and balances. The alderman are either powerless to do anything or just plain don't care. It's amazing to me that the citizens on these two sides of town had little say in accepting these displaced folks, but areas on the north sides are relatively untouched. I'm thinking this will change soon in the inner city as the government is now shipping these people to the suburbs and making this their problem.
rosco

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 17, 2007
sociologist wrote:
chicago was the murder capital in 2003, 600 murders, more than LA and new york who have 1 million more residents, and 5 million more residents respectively. Crime rates in chicago are much higher than LA and NY for the last 15 years.
No, it was only 599 murders. The 600th was a gun cleaning accident.
TP Ed

AOL

#18 Dec 17, 2007
Lenny,
Your solution, which is logical and universally accepted will never be implemented. Common sense and an option to allow people to take care of themselves can never happen. BIG BROTHER, A.K.A. the political machinery of Crook County and the State of Illinois, is here to protect and serve you. Self protection is not needed..........right?
Leonard Watson wrote:
The solution to much (not all) of this problem is so simple but Daley and the rest of the liberal politicians who run this city will never accept it.
Chicago, and all of America for that matter, needs a universal Right to Carry Concealed Hand Gun Law. If more people were armed, then criminals would have to think twice before attacking. Every criminal wants and unarmed victim because the victim cannot fight back.
Illinois also needs to pass a Castle Doctrine law. The Castle Doctrine law basically says that an individual has the right to protect themselves and their property with deadly force, if necessary, without the fear of prosecution.
If Illinois would pass these two laws and give illinois citizens back their second amendment rights we could stop much of the crime and gun violence in this city and state.
Unfortunately, too many people in Chicago are unwilling to see the truth and keep electing this anti-gun mayor and other anti-gun politicians.
Until we give the people their right to protect themselves back there will continue to be an escalation of gun violence. The easiest target in the world is an unarmed populace.
Lashawn

Darien, IL

#20 Dec 17, 2007
I just wish that the residents of Back of The Yards could step up and turn these animals in. They keep getting away with it because the residents live in such fear. They murder a pregnant woman trick or treating with her kids...now they are shooting in broad daylight! They clearly are not afraid of consequences. There should be an officer on every corner in Back of The Yards..put the Guardian Angels out there too. It is time to take your neighborhood and personal safety back.
sociologist

United States

#21 Dec 17, 2007
thanks. i couldn't go on with my day without you clarifying it. did i mention that this doesn't include the 80 or so cover ups in 03'. Detectives were seriously riding around the city with baseball caps in their car that said murder capital on them, as if they were proud. or maybe it just provides an excuse for them to shoot citizens in the back.
Leonard Watson

United States

#22 Dec 17, 2007
staci wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm thinking this will change soon in the inner city as the government is now shipping these people to the suburbs and making this their problem.
Yet another example of what an idiot Daley is. He does not know what to do with all his problems so he pushes them off on someone else.

I got news for you: We do not want your problems in our towns. One of the many reasons we choose not to live in the God-forsaken cesspool known as Chicago is because we do not want to deal with your problems.

Why do you city dwellers keep electing such a moron into office? If you choose to live in this cesspool known as Chicago then you also choose to live with the vermin that also choose live in the cesspool.

Here is a radical solution. Get the criminals out of the mayor'office, get the criminals out of the alderman's office, get the criminals off the county board, and elect people of integrity who are interested in making the cesspool liveable instead of seeing just how much money they can siphon off the top before they get caught and have to spend all that money on their defense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Grey Ghost 1,144,236
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,798
Pierre de Coubertin And Emancipation Proclamation (Jun '12) 1 hr fukuda 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr wojar 180,954
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL 70,627
My true thoughts about this song. 4 hr WhyNotLookAtHer 3
Are you sick of Topix polls or do you vote? 4 hr TheyfuckUsAll 5
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance