Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#23 Apr 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
Do you believe them to be insane?
<quoted text>
I believe them to have mental health issues which would be at least somewhere in between sane and insane.

I've known a couple of cutters. I was curious about it and asked a psychologist. The psychologist explained it to me as something that is akin to OCD but not OCD and easily treatable but needs treatment.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#24 Apr 12, 2013
Being OCD means you have mental health issues?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe them to have mental health issues which would be at least somewhere in between sane and insane.
I've known a couple of cutters. I was curious about it and asked a psychologist. The psychologist explained it to me as something that is akin to OCD but not OCD and easily treatable but needs treatment.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#25 Apr 12, 2013
Stina wrote:
LW1: I think some kids cut because it really is an expression of inner turmoil, but a lot do it for attention, too. Either way, it's dangerous. Tell someone.
I disagree that "a lot" do it for attention. Maybe some do. But if a kid is so messed up that he's cutting in order to get attention, that in and of itself is a red flag as well.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#26 Apr 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree that "a lot" do it for attention. Maybe some do. But if a kid is so messed up that he's cutting in order to get attention, that in and of itself is a red flag as well.
Good point.
But I can't help but think that there are a lot of kids that want to be "cool" or "goth" and so they do it.
And yes, that indicates issues itself.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#27 Apr 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it does. Many people lead very normal lives but still have mental health issues.

Mental health issues can be as benign as mild depression or mild anxiety to full blown schizophrenia.

“Where is Tonka?”

#28 Apr 12, 2013
I experience mild anxiety every time my plane hits turbulence, but I would not say I have a mental health issue.

Under your definition, everybody is 1/2 crazy.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it does. Many people lead very normal lives but still have mental health issues.
Mental health issues can be as benign as mild depression or mild anxiety to full blown schizophrenia.
Dixieland

Englewood, CO

#29 Apr 12, 2013
Y'all save your Dixie cups now...the South done rised agin! All the yankees movin here and bein converted to nice folk like Southerners.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Nashville, TN

#30 Apr 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ, do you know what the letters stand for? Obsessive Compulsive DISORDER. If someone legitimately has OCD, then yes, it is a mental health issue.

I's almost like you equate mental health issues solely with straight jackets and padded rooms.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#31 Apr 12, 2013
Toj wrote:
So you think people are perfectly SANE that cut themselves?
It seems to be pretty common among teenagers, so yes. I chalk it up more to stupidity than any type of "craziness."

When my niece was in HS I saw a wound on the back of her hand and asked her about it. She gouged it by repeatedly running a pencil eraser back and forth on it. I asked why. She said all the kids were doing it and thought it was cool.

Is she insane or stupid?

Back in my day, people would tighten a rubber band around the tip of their finger and watch it turn purple. It's just something that kids do. Cutting is just the new fad.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#32 Apr 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all a matter of degree. I think most everyone is OCD about certain things (the way you fold your towels, the way you hang your toilet paper, making sure you don't leave the bathroom light on, whatever.) Neat freaks, hypochondriacs, hoarders, liberals? Yes, those people might have some type of mental health issue.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#33 Apr 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
I experience mild anxiety every time my plane hits turbulence, but I would not say I have a mental health issue.
Under your definition, everybody is 1/2 crazy.
<quoted text>
Everybody is half crazy -- or are you just finding that out? Hee, hee.

I did not mean mild anxiety as in the type you describe. I specifically said: "Mental health issues can be as benign as mild depression or mild anxiety to full blown schizophrenia." That is anxiety that would fit for a mental health issue which has specific criteria. The qualifier there is "mental health issues can be..."

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#34 Apr 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all a matter of degree. I think most everyone is OCD about certain things (the way you fold your towels, the way you hang your toilet paper, making sure you don't leave the bathroom light on, whatever.) Neat freaks, hypochondriacs, hoarders, liberals? Yes, those people might have some type of mental health issue.
If it interferes with your daily life, then it is a mental health issue. I agree that it's a matter of degree.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#35 Apr 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to be pretty common among teenagers, so yes. I chalk it up more to stupidity than any type of "craziness."
When my niece was in HS I saw a wound on the back of her hand and asked her about it. She gouged it by repeatedly running a pencil eraser back and forth on it. I asked why. She said all the kids were doing it and thought it was cool.
Is she insane or stupid?
Back in my day, people would tighten a rubber band around the tip of their finger and watch it turn purple. It's just something that kids do. Cutting is just the new fad.
I disagree that cutting is the new fad but we'll leave it there to agree to disagree.

“Where is Tonka?”

#36 Apr 12, 2013
exactly. Two people can exhibit the same ocd behavior, but only the person who's behavior is letting it interfere with their lives actually has a problem.

If your ocd about making sure the coffee pot is off before you leave the house, hey, no biggie. But when you leave work to go home and check it again, or you get nothing done all day because your worrying about it, you have a problem.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

“Where is Tonka?”

#37 Apr 12, 2013
I have a mental checklist everytime I leave the house...Weapon Wallet Phone Keys Butts Lighter and Glasses. Never mind the fact that I quite smoking and no longer carry the Butts or lighter. Just my ocd ritual.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#38 Apr 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
I have a mental checklist everytime I leave the house...Weapon Wallet Phone Keys Butts Lighter and Glasses. Never mind the fact that I quite smoking and no longer carry the Butts or lighter. Just my ocd ritual.
Spectacles Testicles Wallet and Watch?

(That is a joke to describe a Catholic crossing himself)

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#39 Apr 12, 2013
Toj wrote:
I disagree that cutting is the new fad but we'll leave it there to agree to disagree.
I do NOT agree to disagree! Admit that I'm right or I'll cut a kitten!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#40 Apr 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I do NOT agree to disagree! Admit that I'm right or I'll cut a kitten!
Hee, hee! Very funny. Read my avatar.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#42 Apr 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
If it interferes with your daily life, then it is a mental health issue. I agree that it's a matter of degree.
I would have said a similar thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,548,061
Italian Confessional 7 min Chuckles 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min NotSoDivineMsM 241,546
Illinois is in critical financial crisis. 58 min Genl Forrest 8
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 63,845
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr SweLL GirL 10,834
Time to Fire Trump and Mulvaney 12 hr Joey 2

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages