of 3
Next Last

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#41 Apr 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, P. you must be some kinda high roller if even a bargain basement cruise costs less than you spend on a party.
I read the letter to mean they wanted a large party, didn't have a lot to spend but wanted it to take place out of the house. That sounded like it would start around $2000 and go up depending on number of guests , the location and how the liquor is handled (a keg vs full open bar etc).

I might be off, but I don't think by much.

We had my sister's wedding at our house 10 years ago.It was an afternoon buffet style meal, no live musicians. We partially catered it, but did much of the food our self. We kept liquor pretty tightly controlled to champagne and served punch. There were roughly 60 people and the cost came in around $3500 as I recall. Deduct a couple hundred for the wedding cake, bur still...

You could do a cruise for that price and take the teenagers with

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#42 Apr 16, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I read the letter to mean they wanted a large party, didn't have a lot to spend but wanted it to take place out of the house. That sounded like it would start around $2000 and go up depending on number of guests , the location and how the liquor is handled (a keg vs full open bar etc).

We had my sister's wedding at our house 10 years ago.It was an afternoon buffet style meal, no live musicians. We partially catered it, but did much of the food our self. We kept liquor pretty tightly controlled to champagne and served punch. There were roughly 60 people and the cost came in around $3500 as I recall. Deduct a couple hundred for the wedding cake, bur still...

If they don't have the money to spend on the party, it means they don't have the money to spend on a cruise.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#43 Apr 16, 2014
Cruises can be cheap. I can take a 5 night cruise out of Charleston, S.C. for 250-300 bucks per person. I think they are just as cheap if you go out of FL. If they wanted to do it on the cheap, with gratuity and taxes, and a little bit of spending money, the two of them could probably do it for 1k-1.2k or less.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#44 Apr 16, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the letter to mean they wanted a large party, didn't have a lot to spend but wanted it to take place out of the house. That sounded like it would start around $2000 and go up depending on number of guests , the location and how the liquor is handled (a keg vs full open bar etc).
Holy shit. No way in hell I would ever even consider dropping even $1k on a party. I did it once for my wedding/reception. That was a one time only occurence.

I'm not rich, but I do well. There is no one in my social circle that I can think of that would even entertain the idea of spending over a grand on a party (excluding eedding reception)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#45 Apr 16, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
Cruises can be cheap. I can take a 5 night cruise out of Charleston, S.C. for 250-300&#279; bucks per person. I think they are just as cheap if you go out of FL. If they wanted to do it on the cheap, with gratuity and taxes, and a little bit of spending money, the two of them could probably do it for 1k-1.2k or less.
Correct. Which is why I was puzzled by the idea of cruising for less than the cost of a party. Had no idea her comparison included $2k as a starting price for a party.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#46 Apr 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Holy shit. No way in hell I would ever even consider dropping even $1k on a party. I did it once for my wedding/reception. That was a one time only occurence.

I'm not rich, but I do well. There is no one in my social circle that I can think of that would even entertain the idea of spending over a grand on a party (excluding eedding reception)
That is on the low side of average for baptism and communion parties in my husband's family, which do not involve alcohol.

I keep hoping that we get more people who can't make it to Ry's communion party. Right now it is looking like 60 people for lunch.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#47 Apr 16, 2014
I know someone who spent around $5k on her husband's 40th birthday party. That's not normal in MY circle, but isn't unusual in Palm Beach county.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#48 Apr 16, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
I know someone who spent around $5k on her husband's 40th birthday party. That's not normal in MY circle, but isn't unusual in Palm Beach county.
I think my wife spent about $800 on mine. She is big on birthdays. I am not. She would run ideas by me during planning and all I saw were dollar signs. I eventually told her to stop asking my opinion because no matter what the options were, my choice was going to be whatever cost the least. My son's bday is around the same time so it was a dial party and she wanted over the top.

Perfect party for me would be to go to dinner with friends like we normally do, everyone pay their own way, and leave that $800 in the bank.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#49 Apr 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I think my wife spent about $800 on mine. She is big on birthdays. I am not. She would run ideas by me during planning and all I saw were dollar signs. I eventually told her to stop asking my opinion because no matter what the options were, my choice was going to be whatever cost the least. My son's bday is around the same time so it was a dial party and she wanted over the top.
Perfect party for me would be to go to dinner with friends like we normally do, everyone pay their own way, and leave that $800 in the bank.
I'm more about experiences than "stuff" so if I were to drop a bunch of money for a birthday, it would be to take an awesome trip or go skydiving or something. Not to feed and booze up a bunch of other people. Sorry, friends. ;)

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#50 Apr 16, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more about experiences than "stuff" so if I were to drop a bunch of money for a birthday, it would be to take an awesome trip or go skydiving or something. Not to feed and booze up a bunch of other people. Sorry, friends. ;)
I'm with ya.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#51 Apr 16, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Works for me. We are looking at forgoing the party for other son's b-day this year and going to a hotel on the beach over that weekend.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#52 Apr 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Works for me. We are looking at forgoing the party for other son's b-day this year and going to a hotel on the beach over that weekend.
Have you asked him how he feels about not having a birthday party? Your boys are in the 4-8 range as I recall. Prime birthday party years up here

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#53 Apr 16, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you asked him how he feels about not having a birthday party? Your boys are in the 4-8 range as I recall. Prime birthday party years up here
Yes. He likes the idea. We'll revisit as it gets closer. His birthday is in the summer and he will be with all new friends from summer camp near our house. He is about to end his tenure at the day care he's been at since birth, which is nowhere near our house or the school he will be going to for kindergarten, so he will be starting over at ground zero in the friend department. He'll know his brother at camp, but will be grouped with other kids his age. So we'll revisit when the time comes whether or not he wants to have a party with the new kids or just go to the beach.

Gonna be weird not having ANY kids at that day care. First one started going there in 2006. I was more than willing to keep him there for their summer program to have a couple more months with the kids he knows, but he wanted to go to the other one. We took him in to meet the lady who runs it and have her tell him about it. He's in.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#54 Apr 17, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too.
I'm an introvert hermit and not really into gifts.
Casual dinner or fun event with the two of us.
On certain ones and anniversaries, I would even ditch the kids!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Barry Choomer Soetoo 1,126,707
Rattlesnake Logic 8 min little boy blue 20
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 12 min little boy blue 19
Amy 10-24 25 min edogxxx 2
Abby 10-24 30 min edogxxx 2
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 35 min JOEL 70,100
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 40 min wojar 179,387
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]