blunt advice

Plainfield, NJ

#21 Apr 15, 2014
2. Hubby returned to the family business. Meaning he left it and came back. If he doesn't want to hire you, consider it a favor. Having worked with (as clients and vendors as well as employers) family businesses often tear families apart. If you want a good relationship with your in laws.... Get your resume updated and get a job with someone you never have to see out of work.
3. Rent a hall, preferably one with an outdoor grill so you can serve burgers and dogs. Elks, Rotary, K of C, a church etc.... Ask guests to bring a side dish.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#22 Apr 15, 2014
RACE wrote:
You only have to pay when you send a text not receive one.
Wrong. I don't have a texting plan and I get charged for every one I receive. I don't send any.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#23 Apr 15, 2014
I would dispute that.
Why should you be responsible for someone elses error? If someone sends you a text and you dont know the person, why should you have to pay for it?
How do you know its not the telly company itself sending them out to drum up some $$.
I occasionally get text from some wacko business wanting me to visit their website, or peeps sending me attachments, hoping I will download them and corrupt my phone. I would not pay for those things.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. I don't have a texting plan and I get charged for every one I receive. I don't send any.
pellen

Deerfield, IL

#24 Apr 15, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. I don't have a texting plan and I get charged for every one I receive. I don't send any.
When I was with AT&T I had that problem. They can block all incoming texts so you are not charged.

When I got the smartphone I moved to Verizon; the plan came with unlimited text and calling as part of the base price.
pellen

Deerfield, IL

#25 Apr 15, 2014
RACE wrote:
I would dispute that.
Why should you be responsible for someone elses error? If someone sends you a text and you dont know the person, why should you have to pay for it?
How do you know its not the telly company itself sending them out to drum up some $$.
I occasionally get text from some wacko business wanting me to visit their website, or peeps sending me attachments, hoping I will download them and corrupt my phone. I would not pay for those things.
<quoted text>
I raised that complaint with AT&T. What they said at the time was that texts from the phone company to my phone did not carry a charge but any other incoming texts were charged. I didn't want their funny noises and wanted every text blocked. The effort to get that done was one of teh reasons I moved to Verizon

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#26 Apr 15, 2014
RACE wrote:
I would dispute that.
<quoted text>
Such a rebel! You don't want to pay? They can disable texting capabilities on your account, but other than that extreme, you get charged for incoming and outgoing. Pretty sure this is standard across all wireless companies when you don't subscribe to a texting plan.

“Where is Tonka?”

#27 Apr 15, 2014
Then disabled I would be.

I have metro pcs, it's got unlimited everything it think.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Such a rebel! You don't want to pay? They can disable texting capabilities on your account, but other than that extreme, you get charged for incoming and outgoing. Pretty sure this is standard across all wireless companies when you don't subscribe to a texting plan.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#28 Apr 15, 2014
RACE wrote:
Then disabled I would be.
I have metro pcs, it's got unlimited everything it think.
<quoted text>
Then that means you would lose the ability to get texts from people you do want to hear from. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Most of my friends know not to text me, but some don't. Some forget. If I went nuclear like that, I would have, for example, missed out on the New Year's eve planning. That all tool place within 48 hrs of NYE, all thru text. Woulda been sittin at home all alone while my friends partird and wondered where i was.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#29 Apr 15, 2014
pellen wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was with AT&T I had that problem. They can block all incoming texts so you are not charged.
When I got the smartphone I moved to Verizon; the plan came with unlimited text and calling as part of the base price.
i can get unlimited texting for $5 i think. But i have email on my phone. I have facebook. Hell you can even actaully voice call me on my phone. I'd rather save the $5 a month and pay out some dimes here and there as needed than pay that every month for another way to msg me when there are other free options available already.

I don't want to block texts. I kniw what the agreement us and I'm ok with paying for a few a la carte each month. Race is the one that would call to challenge the texts he did not wamt to rcv.

“Where is Tonka?”

#30 Apr 15, 2014
Wife and kids walked out on you huh?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Woulda been sittin at home all alone while my friends partird and wondered where i was.

“Where is Tonka?”

#31 Apr 15, 2014
And besides, all my friends are imaginary, and we dont text. In fact the one time I tried it, the chick started wailing about how I owed her 25 cents. She's cute, but I dont know if she is work a quarter every time I want to sext, errrr text with her.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Then that means you would lose the ability to get texts from people you do want to hear from. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Most of my friends know not to text me, but some don't. Some forget. If I went nuclear like that, I would have, for example, missed out on the New Year's eve planning. That all tool place within 48 hrs of NYE, all thru text. Woulda been sittin at home all alone while my friends partird and wondered where i was.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#32 Apr 15, 2014
RACE wrote:
And besides, all my friends are imaginary, and we dont text. In fact the one time I tried it, the chick started wailing about how I owed her 25 cents. She's cute, but I dont know if she is work a quarter every time I want to sext, errrr text with her.
<quoted text>
she got a smart phone? Yeah? Then email her. Won't cost her a thing. And she can pull it up on her computer too. You know, in case certain things are difficult to see on a phone screen

“Where is Tonka?”

#33 Apr 15, 2014
I dont have her email, and she wont spend the quarter to text me to ask for it.
And I am quite good at photography, she would have no problems viewing my email.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>she got a smart phone? Yeah? Then email her. Won't cost her a thing. And she can pull it up on her computer too. You know, in case certain things are difficult to see on a phone screen
Julie

Chicago, IL

#34 Apr 15, 2014
squishymama wrote:
LW3: Just do something with your husband and kids. A cruise perhaps...
If they don't have enough $$ for a party it seems *highly* unlikely they have enough
$$ for a cruise...
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#35 Apr 15, 2014
RACE wrote:
I dont have her email, and she wont spend the quarter to text me to ask for it.
And I am quite good at photography, she would have no problems viewing my email.
<quoted text>
Topix is our texting. ;)
I do e-text a few (SMS email that they see as a text to big carriers) but all my friends know not to text. I hate it so. I cannot pay for it as I dislike its infection in society, lol.

My carrier's texts are rare and free.
But I can't block with AT&T like I could with previous...

“Where is Tonka?”

#36 Apr 15, 2014
So, are you saying that I should text you? Even a PM on topix?
I think your a great chick and all, but I dont want to harass you or anything.
Maybe you could PM me and tell me to bugger off?
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix is our texting. ;)
I do e-text a few (SMS email that they see as a text to big carriers) but all my friends know not to text. I hate it so. I cannot pay for it as I dislike its infection in society, lol.
My carrier's texts are rare and free.
But I can't block with AT&T like I could with previous...

“Where is Tonka?”

#37 Apr 15, 2014
or not of course, thats what I meant.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#38 Apr 15, 2014
Julie wrote:
<quoted text>
If they don't have enough $$ for a party it seems *highly* unlikely they have enough
$$ for a cruise...
I don't go on cruises but some good friends who are on a fixed income do it a lot. They are remarkably inexpensive for the basic packages. My friends book their own air transport.
It is the extras that add up. There are the shore excursions and the soft drink packages and liquor or wine packages at various price levels and add on gratifies to all sorts of people,etc but there are cheap packages available.

Actually one of teh cruise lines bigger PR problems ( after malfunctioning boats and norovirus) is teh discord between full pay passengers and the bargain basement passengers.

My point is that LW and spouse could go on a nice cruise for less than what they would spend on a catered party with alcohol at a hall.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#39 Apr 15, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't go on cruises but some good friends who are on a fixed income do it a lot. They are remarkably inexpensive for the basic packages. My friends book their own air transport.
It is the extras that add up. There are the shore excursions and the soft drink packages and liquor or wine packages at various price levels and add on gratifies to all sorts of people,etc but there are cheap packages available.
Actually one of teh cruise lines bigger PR problems ( after malfunctioning boats and norovirus) is teh discord between full pay passengers and the bargain basement passengers.
My point is that LW and spouse could go on a nice cruise for less than what they would spend on a catered party with alcohol at a hall.
Damn, P. you must be some kinda high roller if even a bargain basement cruise costs less than you spend on a party.

“Where is Tonka?”

#40 Apr 16, 2014
Went on a cruise with the X. Paid to get a balcony, was definitely worth it. Got to sit at the captain's table for a meal, which is a pretty big deal on a cruise. One lady was totally aghast that we were invited on our first cruise, apparently people wait years and multiple cruises to get invited.

Would love to take my daughter on one someday.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min USAsince1680 1,708,443
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Pasquali 11,969
Trump is A 8 hr Maverick 808 471
Letís play a game! 10 hr Gary 4
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 hr FART TYME 64,465
Maybe We Outta Ban Knives? 11 hr Lulz 4
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 hr WelbyMD 243,320

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages