Old Barn Restaurant To Remain Open

Aug 21, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Southwest News-Herald

Threatened with foreclosure and sale at public auction a few months ago, it appears the Old Barn restaurant, located at 8100 S. Parkside Ave.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated May 4, 2013
Shaun Johnson

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

I sure hope you are able to keep going. I have been
going to the Tack Room for many years and always
enjoy it.
Cleophus Ripple

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

that place ought be burned to the ground.
it a racist place. member they used to have black
guys in red coats parkin the white peopls cars.
nothin but live lawn jockeys.
Laura

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

So sad it will be closing we are going to miss this Landmark and the great food and service at the Old Barn and Cleophus this is 2008 there are no longer black men parking cars and if you were to go inside the old barn there are pictures of two Old timers that were white that also parked cars there.Get the story straight they are by far a racist establishment and should be known for it's wonderful business.So sorry you live in the past. Again so sad as I know it will disappoint many many people.
cleophus ripple

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2008

Laura wrote:
So sad it will be closing we are going to miss this Landmark and the great food and service at the Old Barn and Cleophus this is 2008 there are no longer black men parking cars and if you were to go inside the old barn there are pictures of two Old timers that were white that also parked cars there.Get the story straight they are by far a racist establishment and should be known for it's wonderful business.So sorry you live in the past. Again so sad as I know it will disappoint many many people.
re read yor post, you sayed in your post "they are by far a racist establishment" just like i saeyed.
Charlie Cares

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

That place is a dump
sas

Bellwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

cleophus ripple wrote:
<quoted text>
re read yor post, you sayed in your post "they are by far a racist establishment" just like i saeyed.
really,what would make you say that?i worked there for years and there where all kinds of people that work there and far from being racist!
Larry

Oak Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

Skipping the childish comments of Cleophus, I have to agree (with Charlie Cares) that the Old Barn had really gone downhill. When I say that, I am being kind. The plain truth is that the owners must have been dopes. The staff was poorly trained and supervised. And a lot of them had attitude. Long ago, we moved on and began to spend our dining $$ at quality restaurants.
Anonymous

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

cleophus ripple wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Cleophus! Listen up- First of all, you need to learn how to spell and second of all, this is 2008. Get over your obsession with the racist card. If these"black" people parked cars way back when it was because they did not educate themselves into getting a better Job!!
Anonymous

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Larry wrote:
Skipping the childish comments of Cleophus, I have to agree (with Charlie Cares) that the Old Barn had really gone downhill. When I say that, I am being kind. The plain truth is that the owners must have been dopes. The staff was poorly trained and supervised. And a lot of them had attitude. Long ago, we moved on and began to spend our dining $$ at quality restaurants.
I agree with you- the Old Barn did go downhill. ANYBODY THAT GETS INTO THIS KIND OF BUSINESS SHOULD HAVE SOME AWARENESS THAT"change" is a good thing. CHANGE THE MENU, CHANGE THE ATTITUDE AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, CHANGE THAT NASTY ASS CARPET IN THE PLACE !!!!
gloria

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

sas wrote:
<quoted text>really,what would make you say that?i worked there for years and there where all kinds of people that work there and far from being racist!
dear sas, I worked there to yuoo know any contacts to inquire about our tax forms don't know who to contact.Reply to yourmomsadvice@yahoo.com
dan

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

I was a bus boy there and the place was having problems at the end cause the owner got very sick and he recently passed away. There were no racists working there I'm sure back in the day the african americans enjoyed the job of parking cars rather than bagging groceries or whatever other jobs they had fifty years ago
Anonymous

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

dan wrote:
I was a bus boy there and the place was having problems at the end cause the owner got very sick and he recently passed away. There were no racists working there I'm sure back in the day the african americans enjoyed the job of parking cars rather than bagging groceries or whatever other jobs they had fifty years ago
I agree with you to a point Dan! I too was a former busboy there and my Mom worked there for almost 40 years. She was there when the majority of the kitchen help and the two guys (Buster and TJ) parked cars. I don't know how well they "enjoyed" their jobs but I do know that they were paid very little for the amount of work they did and the hours they worked. I also remember Mom telling me that the place was most certainly on the decline when the new owners took over but she also remarked that from what she saw, they had no clue how to run a restaurant and that it was only a matter of time before the place closed.
Sadly her prediction came true.
Anoymous

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Back in the day, I think a young Obama parked my car for a buck.
Bruce From Burbank IL

Oak Lawn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

To Cleophus,
Get over the racist thing, that was then, this is now. Besides many of my family worked there and the one picture to the left of the maitre d station is my uncle. Also many of my relatives worked there. The Old Barn was and will always be a favorite of mine and will and have been missing the great food and fun I used to have there. The two idiots that had it last should be made to find a way to reopen it with CAPABLE AND TRAINED STAFF.
Farewell The Old Barn Restaurant and hope the City of Burbank make it a historic landmark.
Burbank Weirdo

Burbank, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Bruce From Burbank IL wrote:
To Cleophus,
Get over the racist thing, that was then, this is now. Besides many of my family worked there and the one picture to the left of the maitre d station is my uncle. Also many of my relatives worked there. The Old Barn was and will always be a favorite of mine and will and have been missing the great food and fun I used to have there. The two idiots that had it last should be made to find a way to reopen it with CAPABLE AND TRAINED STAFF.
Farewell The Old Barn Restaurant and hope the City of Burbank make it a historic landmark.
Tear that rat/mold/asbestos ridden piece of garbage eyesore building down!!! that and the empty clark station on 79th st. Burbank is startin to look like Englewood for Christs sake
Kildare Kid

Highland, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Back in the 40's and fifties. You had a card to get in. You called Garden 2 5000 and you gave them your name and your card number. That way they controled who got in and who didn't. Sure it was racist thing along with many other methods in the country at the time. For the black gentlemen that parked cars. They were respected by the customers and they made most of their money from tips. Similar to a waitress. Most restaurants today pay the waitresses a small amount at an houly rate. A good waitress in a Greek restaurant makes around 150.00 a day. I mention a Greek Restaurant because they are all about the same menue.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Patrick 1,095,071
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 41 min edogxxx 97,728
Abby 8-20 43 min edogxxx 1
Amy 8-20 47 min edogxxx 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 176,652
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,833
Time Travel 1 hr Guess 1
•••
•••