“Don Cherry Gave Me Gonorrhea,” Male ...

“Don Cherry Gave Me Gonorrhea,” Male Prostitute. The Stigma of Cyber Slander

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Jeffrey Alan Payne

Toronto, Canada

#1 May 24, 2013
Let’s face it. That headline would immediately draw your attention. Though, it’s obviously not true.

That is the atrociously frightening reality of our tabloid information driven society. Anyone can now become a casualty of our new multi-media “fabrication culture”.

If Glenn Close’s character in the 1987 film “Fatal Attraction” had access to the internet, instead of butchering the rabbit she could have just slaughtered Michael Douglas’ reputation online.

That’s exactly what happened to Lee David Clayworth, a teacher from Vancouver. Clayworth dated a woman named Lee Ching Yan, while teaching in Malaysia several years ago. After they broke up, she started posting slanderous material about him on websites, calling him a pedophile who had sex with his students.

Clayworth sued the woman in Malaysian court; she was ordered to pay approximately $66,000 in damages. The judge also ordered Google, Yahoo and Bing to block Clayworth’s name from being searchable.

That was futile, because laws pertaining to cyberspace are different in each country. A Malaysian judge has about as much influence over an internet company in California as a Toronto Raptors player has on the NBA Finals.

To this day, if you put Lee David Clayworth’s name in a search engine, you’ll see slanderous pages with photos of him partially unclothed with headlines like “pedophile” and “cheater” attached.

READ COMPLETE COLUMN: http://www.jeffreyalanpayne.com/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,276,650
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 min Red_Forman 6,426
Ask Amy 9-1-15 6 min PEllen 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min Patriot AKA Bozo 54,538
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 18 min PEllen 100,636
Dear Abby 9-1-15 24 min PEllen 1
News The Chicago hunger strike for Dyett High School... 44 min reality is a crutch 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 48 min Joe Balls 196,922
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages