First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#21 May 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
...says the proud mother of a recent college graduate. You telling me that you didn't stress/establish the expectation that she go to college?
Does a college education not greatly increase one's chances of landing a good paying job/career? Is a college education not a major step in the direction of a poor kid getting out of the ghetto?
I don't understand what you're suggesting? Downplaying he importance of education? Whatever you are suggesting, would you have applied that thinking to YOUR children when they were still in high school?
She is not "downplaying" the importance of an education.

Problem is, when everyone and their brother has a college degree, it makes such a degree all the more meaningless.

You need a college degree just to sell oranges on the expressway anymore.

People need a degree just to compete for a job pushing buttons at Subway. Therein lies the problem.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#22 May 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
She is not "downplaying" the importance of an education.
Problem is, when everyone and their brother has a college degree, it makes such a degree all the more meaningless.
You need a college degree just to sell oranges on the expressway anymore.
People need a degree just to compete for a job pushing buttons at Subway. Therein lies the problem.
She said to stop marketing education as something everyone needs to have. You are describing the effects of everyone having a degree. ie: you need one just to compete for lesser jobs since your competition will have better credentials if you don't have a degree. If you can't sell oranges on the expressway without a degree, what chance do non-degreed folks have at making a good living?

So the question remains, what is she suggesting? Telling kids only some people need an education? Telling that to only some kids? WHo determines which kids should go get that leg up on the competition?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#23 May 20, 2013
Of course! She wanted them all to become Pol... er welders.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>...says the proud mother of a recent college graduate. You telling me that you didn't stress/establish the expectation that she go to college?
Does a college education not greatly increase one's chances of landing a good paying job/career? Is a college education not a major step in the direction of a poor kid getting out of the ghetto?
I don't understand what you're suggesting? Downplaying he importance of education? Whatever you are suggesting, would you have applied that thinking to YOUR children when they were still in high school?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#24 May 20, 2013
Actually, i have to apologize, I had thought I deleted the pol reference, but some bells cant be unrung. Sorry anyway.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#25 May 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>...says the proud mother of a recent college graduate. You telling me that you didn't stress/establish the expectation that she go to college?
Not at all.But not everybody is good at academic subjects. Much of what passes for college is technical training for which you probably don't need 20th Century American Lit, Geo-politics of post WWII Asia etc. If you are interested in that sort of thing by all means learn it, but if you are looking for training for a good job, it is probably not needed and it carries a heavy price tag- school loans which is where the subject started.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#26 May 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all.But not everybody is good at academic subjects. Much of what passes for college is technical training for which you probably don't need 20th Century American Lit, Geo-politics of post WWII Asia etc. If you are interested in that sort of thing by all means learn it, but if you are looking for training for a good job, it is probably not needed and it carries a heavy price tag- school loans which is where the subject started.
I see what you're saying and it makes sense. I even kind of agree. the problem I see is this. For me, the primary objective in going to college was to enhance my opportunities for getting a good job and career. I could not care less about 20th Century American Lit, Geo-politics of post WWII Asia, but who do you think is the more attractive candidate to employers? A degreed college graduate or someone who went to some VoTech? So to tell a kid that he does not need that degree, to me that's starting him off with a disadvantage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min harmonious 1,115,573
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 min harmonious 47,066
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 53 min Top of the Heap 4,054
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 50,063
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Mister Tonka 98,373
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 178,617
Group of thieves hit Bentley Gold Coast store 2 hr Go Blue Forever 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]