Postal Service rate hike may not end funding shortfall

There are 13 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 8, 2009, titled Postal Service rate hike may not end funding shortfall. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When most postal rates rise on Monday -- among other things, mailing a first-class domestic letter will cost 2 cents more -- Washington will be depending on businesses like PouchSmart Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

joseph bancheri

Wilmington, DE

#1 May 8, 2009
i started a campaign called "let's write/right America".i supply paticipating school with postage and the student supplies the letter.the only catch is the letter has to be to a relative,aunt,uncle, cousin, and especially a grandparent..so far program is working great.kids are getting letters back from relatives, and i just received over 100 stamp designs from all the students.my postmaster is going to make up 3 plaques for the winners and maybe a pizza party for entire school,including the teachers.my postoffice will also be displaying designs in the lobby..absecon, new jersey 08201..i 'm hoping this becomes a national program.
Why Cry Now

AOL

#2 May 9, 2009
Then why didn't the U.S.P.S. apply to
the Federal Government for a bailout
like the banks did ?
And aren't they already receiving an
annual subsidy from the Feds ?

Since: Jan 09

Gurnee, IL

#3 May 11, 2009
The tag line on the article link on Lewrockwell.com says it all "This antique government monopoly is in even more trouble than usual". Monopolies are bad. Our owners, er, leaders, have been telling us that for a century, ever since the Rockwells, Morgans and other early industrialists used the power of government to cement their monopoly positions in oil, rail and other industries. Bad for the consumer and ultimately, bad for the incompetent and inefficient business.
bamanick

Grenada, MS

#4 May 11, 2009
Yet the postal employees are recipients of over a 23% pay increase over last year! My how I love GOVERNMENT!!!
geo8rge

Brooklyn, NY

#5 May 11, 2009
So why does the post office even exist? Seriously they aren't needed anymore and they are injuring 2 of America's industrial crown jewels, FedEx and UPS.
rosco

Chicago, IL

#6 May 11, 2009
How do I pay my bills? How will I get my bills? Without the mail how will this work? What now, E-mails?
Dave

Elk Grove Village, IL

#7 May 11, 2009
This is an easy problem to fix. Run the PO like a business. Layoff workers. Cut benefits. Cut service one day a week and raise rates. Let's face it. Most of us use email these days. The PO makes it's money from commercial mailings and as long as snail mail costs less than UPS and FedEx, that won't go away. Problem is the union wants to retain all jobs and all benefits even when the business is going down. Impossible.
DavidR

Cottage Grove, OR

#8 May 11, 2009
This is a good example of how Gubbinment healthcare will be run. I've been saying for years that if you want to see how Gubbinment healthcare will be run, just go into your local post office or DMV. Better yet just watch your local highway workers as you pass by-one guy to do the work, and 5 to supervise.
O-B-A-M-A = ONE BIG A$$ MISTAKE AMERICA!!!

RON PAUL IS MY PRESIDENT!!!
the_liberator

Rushville, IN

#9 May 11, 2009
hahaha! burn baby burn!

they brainwash us that the gunvernment is there to prevent monopolies....what a joke! the gunvernment IS a monopoly, and monopoly pricing power can only be derived from forced barriers to entry, which only the gunvernment can create through its corporate protectionist legislation (of course the gunvernment maintains a monopoly on law and enforcement).

there is always a silver lining to these FED created depressions and recessions. i've got an idea. let's totally get rid of this worthless gunvernment operation. and no need to stop there. let's just get rid of the gunvernment altogether. it does nothing but prevent sensible ways of dealing with social issues from arising.
USPS Dinosour

Shijiazhuang, China

#10 May 11, 2009
Stop trying to be a "Retail Store", "Passport Agency", "Packaging Supplier" and seller of every postal gadget under the sun and concentrate on delivering mail. Not to mention the poor service and long waits one gets at the postal counters, no matter what time of the day. Have you ever gone to the Post Office around lunch time when all four counter clerks, except one, has gone for lunch and the lines of waiting customers extends through the doors out in the parking lot. Not a pretty view or testament to efficient counter scheduling during the busiest time of the day.

Increasing mail rates every year only will serve to drive more and more people and businesses away from using USPS mail for correspondence. With today's Internet and high tech environment it will be extremely difficult for the Post Office to compete.

In anticipation of the U.S. Postal Service layoffs I am sure postal deliveries will have to be curtailed in the future.“We lost $2 billion, and like any other business we have to stay afloat,” said Post Office official Lavelle Pepper.“We employ about 685,000 people. If we do layoffs it would include clerks, carriers, and mail handlers across all crafts.”

Not good news for the U.S. Postal Service survival.
My two cents

Englewood, CO

#11 May 11, 2009
It’s Wednesday afternoon, 4:00PM. Of the four counters open, only one is staffed by a clerk attending a family of two adults filling out a Passport Application through a translator while their four little screaming kids ransack through the postal facilities grabbing every leaflet available and throwing it on the floor.
People, including me, are waiting in a long line, getting impatient, some starting to raise their voices to call for additional counter help to no avail. From time to time a Postal Supervisor sticks his head around the corner to observe the circus at the counter and in the waiting hall only to disappear again for awhile. Finally, an older men calls for the Supervisor asking him politely to be so kind and take the family inside the interview room to process the application and picture taking to free up the counter space and perhaps to staff several of the open counters with clerks to alleviate the line which has grown now to over 40 people waiting.
The Supervisor lectured the older men that all clerks were busy sorting mail or were on break time and suggested that if we couldn’t wait to come back later.
Maybe some attitude adjustment and customer service training would be a great start to improve Postal Service 101.
Steve

Greenway, VA

#12 May 13, 2009
And how much of that new stamp money is the postal service handing over to the smithsonian for more stamp exhibits? Can anybody think of a stupider way to spend money in a recession than that?
John Galt

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 May 13, 2009
Ahhh... the government. Let's see, the USPS, Amtrack, Medicare, SS, public schools... the list of failed enterprises controlled by our oh so competent government, and those fine, unionized, government employees, is endless. And now we can add auto manufacturers, healthcare, and the entire banking system.

Anybody got that warm, fuzzy feeling?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RealDave 1,224,526
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 36 min TRD 69,827
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr jimi-yank 53,065
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Learn to Read 187,892
Word (Dec '08) 9 hr _Zoey_ 5,213
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 hr _Zoey_ 5,951
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 15 hr boundary painter 1,175
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]