Topix Chitown Regulars

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#100327 Sep 10, 2014
responsible party wrote:
<quoted text>I know. It's the same argument liberals make about Walmart or any of God-fearing, Christian job creator or corporation- "What about the people who actually do the work? What about the consumers who buy the products? Yada, yada, yada, me, me, me." Our one percenters are the folks who have the courage to take over their family's business, borrow the money at low, low rates or push the papers that make them rich, back and forth. WE buy the tax-exempt teams that entertain the masses and WE should NOT be trifled with! And WE can end sentences with prepositions if WE want TO!
One percenters have the courage? The one percenters have the money and the connections to get the better financing at the low, low rates. Courage is making a family business on a shoe string and doing whatever you need to in order to get the payroll done. Now that's courage.

The whole thing on the NFL scrambling has to do with public opinion and how they don't want to be hauled up in front of Congress. They would like to make this go away as quick as possible.

The whole question, I believe, is should ethics be a part of business and to what degree?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#100328 Sep 10, 2014
Studies have found 3 distinct types of families
Media-centric(39%) 11 hours a day using media and often leave the tv on all or mist of the time

Media moderate(45%) up to 5 hours in front of some type of screen

Media-light(16%) 2 hours of screen media at most per day

Which one are you?

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#100329 Sep 10, 2014
Yeah, I saw that. He also said nobody in the NFL saw that video, so yanno, there's that.
Mister Tonka wrote:
Race, what was it I said yesterday about the leagues not really caring?
Yahoo front page headline
Goodell Won't Rule Out an NFL Return for Rice
ie: if bringing him back at some point is profitable, we will do it.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#100330 Sep 10, 2014
Other that babbling with you folk, Media-Light Football games excluded.
Mister Tonka wrote:
Media-centric(39%) 11 hours a day using media and often leave the tv on all or mist of the time
Which one are you?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100331 Sep 10, 2014
Toj wrote:
The whole thing on the NFL scrambling has to do with public opinion...They would like to make this go away as quick as possible
Yes. That's what they were hoping from the start considering the league is littered with players who have committed similar violent acts and suffered no long term consequences. Brandon Marshall. Pac Man Jones. Etc
Toj wrote:
and how they don't want to be hauled up in front of Congress.
Wait, what? For what reason would they have to appear before congress for this matter?
Toj wrote:
The whole question, I believe, is should ethics be a part of business and to what degree?
assuming there is something unethical about not firing him after what he did, that would then seem to mean that it would be unethical for anyone else to hire him, no? Or is it only unethical to employ someone of his poor character when you are a high profile employer?

And despite how edogg likes to spin it, I am not defending ray rice. Just trying to get a dialogue about consistency. Edogg is fine with rules being applied differently in different situations. I'm not. Double standard bother the hell out of me.

I saw a comment yesterday saying that rice's punishment was great, now they need to make it a lifetime ban fir a first offense of domestic violence.

Really? Why stop at DOMESTIC violence. Violence is wrong. Why only have such a penalty for this small subset of violence. That's pretty much saying its bad to hit a woman(it is) but its ok to hit another man(its not).

Other comments I've seen lately is that a man should never hit a woman(i agree) and that if a woman is hitting him, he should just take it until he can get out of the situation(probably the smartest thing to do), but every time I saw comments to that affect, no one addressed the fact that as much as its wrong to hit a woman, its just as wrong for a woman to hit a man.

If there was not someone holding her back, beyonce's sister would have been able to do some damage to Jay-z if he had to just take it. She's out walking free. But had jay-z raised a finger to defend himself, not even hitting her back, bet he'd have been arrested. Double standard

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100332 Sep 10, 2014
RACE wrote:
Other that babbling with you folk, Media-Light Football games excluded.
<quoted text>
Hah! I had that argument with a co-worker once when tallying up how much tv I watched. I did. I did not count watching sporting events to be the same as "watching tv"
responsible party

Pittsburgh, PA

#100333 Sep 10, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
One percenters have the courage? The one percenters have the money and the connections to get the better financing at the low, low rates. Courage is making a family business on a shoe string and doing whatever you need to in order to get the payroll done. Now that's courage.
The whole thing on the NFL scrambling has to do with public opinion and how they don't want to be hauled up in front of Congress. They would like to make this go away as quick as possible.
Well, they tried, ergo the initial 2 game suspension. The thinking then was that the news cycle would die down after those two games, like it did with Ferguson, those gang-banging terrorists cleverly disguised as children assaulting the border, BENGHAZI!!!! and the persecution of heroic patriot, Cliven Bundy. Those are all things that no one cares about anymore. Then the league made a nice show of a 6 game suspension for domestic abuse and that was fine until Harvey Levine showed up and using his Jewish-controlled media card, showed everybody the tape of what they already knew had happened and ruined it.

Now, we in the GOP and those who carry our water on the internet, DO have a degree of affection for struggling small businessmen who start up small businesses on a shoestring. They are, in effect, our minor league farm system. Where else are we going to get new ideas to swallow up in our corporate mouths and regurgitate as big time no-competition corporate conglomerates? Clearly, this is what the Founders intended. Most of them knew that payroll is a profit killer and they owned slaves, thus keeping costs very low. Actually, after the initial expense of purchasing a human being, it's pretty much just room and board after that. My man Bruce Rauner is hip to that. Please support him in his quest to rid Illinois of the minimum wage. He's going to run Illinois like a business. I hope that includes selling off under-performing counties to foreign interests. It's a good way to get cash. Like parking meters....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Detroit, MI

#100334 Sep 10, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Edogg is fine with rules being applied differently in different situations. I'm not. Double standard bother the hell out of me.
?? Different situations require different rules, so I'm not sure what you mean. And I said there might or might NOT be a difference, so I don't understand this double standard you speak of

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#100335 Sep 10, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That's what they were hoping from the start considering the league is littered with players who have committed similar violent acts and suffered no long term consequences. Brandon Marshall. Pac Man Jones. Etc
<quoted text>
Wait, what? For what reason would they have to appear before congress for this matter?
<quoted text>assuming there is something unethical about not firing him after what he did, that would then seem to mean that it would be unethical for anyone else to hire him, no? Or is it only unethical to employ someone of his poor character when you are a high profile employer?
NFL is a nonprofit company, believe it or not. I believe Congress would get into this for votes. Some members want to be in the public eye but they will say they are doing it for the public good.

“reign in blood”

Detroit, MI

#100336 Sep 10, 2014
responsible party wrote:
My man Bruce Rauner is hip to that. Please support him in his quest to rid Illinois of the minimum wage. He's going to run Illinois like a business. I hope that includes selling off under-performing counties to foreign interests. It's a good way to get cash. Like parking meters....
Because 14 years of democrat control has done WONDERS for the state of Illinois. We have the highest unemployment in the Midwest, higher taxes than any of our neighbors, worst credited state in the country. Yes, we must remain under democrat control. Things will improve... um... next year, I'm sure of it

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100337 Sep 10, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
NFL is a nonprofit company, believe it or not. I believe Congress would get into this for votes. Some members want to be in the public eye but they will say they are doing it for the public good.
I do believe it. Remember reading that a while back. Not sure what reason congress would have to insert themselves into this. Logistically it boils down to suspending a guy who's had his day in court. What is congress going to say? What would be their angle and end game?

Congress should be looking into stripping them of non-profit standing. Not related to this case.

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#100339 Sep 10, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Which one are you?
Who has time to watch 11 hours of TV a day? I guess people who don't have jobs outside the home.

Anyway, I'd consider myself to be light during the week (maybe light "plus" on certain days) and moderate on the weekends. I'm not counting time in front of the computer for work or bill-paying as those activities are not voluntary, and I'm half and half about counting watching sports on TV. I guess I could say it counts if I'm at home but not if I'm at a sports bar.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#100340 Sep 10, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Which one are you?
Moderate. Although not 5 hours. I have it on in the morning for t he news. I'm not sitting in front of it, though. The same headlines play over and over. I get the weather and then monitor time to time for any news about some transit problem. At night maybe 2 hours.

As you said, this doesn't count for football, plus for me any tennis, or special event I might want to watch especially on the Olympic years.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#100341 Sep 10, 2014
Hi, peeps!
Busy busy in my new job. Running around all the bloody time, but I like it and I feel very accomplished. Movin' on up!
Hope all is well. Anything crazy I missed?

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#100342 Sep 10, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Anything crazy I missed?
Not much. Edog tried to have sex with a 19 year old, but he got whiskey d1ck and couldn't get it up.

Hi!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#100343 Sep 10, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Hi, peeps!
Busy busy in my new job. Running around all the bloody time, but I like it and I feel very accomplished. Movin' on up!
Hope all is well. Anything crazy I missed?
Not sure what you've missed, where did you leave off?

And what new job? What have *I* missed? Are you a PhD yet?

I've been meaning to call, or shoot you an email, but I get distrac.... oh look, a squirrel! Probably easier to keep up with you on Topix

Anyway, yay you!!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#100344 Sep 10, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Edog tried to have sex with a 19 year old
Thanks for calling me out but don't say it like THAT, that can be interpreted in a way that makes me sound creepy. There's a whole back-story there and I actually tried to NOT have sex and was mostly successful. SHE tried to take advantage of ME because she wanted a meal ticket

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#100345 Sep 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for calling me out but don't say it like THAT, that can be interpreted in a way that makes me sound creepy. There's a whole back-story there and I actually tried to NOT have sex and was mostly successful. SHE tried to take advantage of ME because she wanted a meal ticket
(rolls eyes) Because you're so flippin' rich?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#100346 Sep 10, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
(rolls eyes) Because you're so flippin' rich?
For a 19 yr old with no job and no home, yes

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100347 Sep 10, 2014
Uh-ohhhhhh!

AP Source Says Ray Rice Elevator Video Sent to NFL
in April

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-new...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Reality Check 1,641,504
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 2 hr Amazing Skulduggery 3
The newest virus circulating is the UPS/Fed Ex... 2 hr Shoot Virus Perps 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Dudley 64,116
Cat's out of the bag. 7 hr Fun in Benghazi 1
HRC loves Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. 10 hr OwnerScrewingPOSTERS 4
What if Ken Starr was RIGHT? 10 hr HMmmmmmmmm 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages