Topix Chitown Regulars

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#100180 Sep 2, 2014
Reading more comments/arguing on that same story, people are blaming the airlines. One person saying the airlines are not going to change, so learn to deal with it, followed by one person saying most people would pay a reasonable price for more space.

I'd love to know how much that person thinks a reasonable price is. When I fly, I am looking fir economy. More often than not, price us my primary criteria when booking a flight. I MIGHT pay more fir less connections, but more room? If it costs more than a McDonald's value meal, I'm sticking with the cheaper flight.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100181 Sep 2, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've experienced it. There were three seats on my side of the row. I had the aisle seat. I walked on to the plane and saw this couple sitting next to a vacant aisle seat. They had obviously eaten waaaay too much "soul food". As I approached the seat, I kept thinking, please don't be my seat, please don't be my seat, please don't be my seat. It was my seat.
The woman sat in the middle. She had our shared arm rest up. Her fat basically swallowed my right arm. I just sucked it up for 3 hours. What was I gonna do. There is no way that arm rest was going down and I wasn't going to embarrass them or make a scene.
I survived. Shyte happens. You can go through life whining about it and being difficult when you are in a situation you don't like or you can realize that most things won't kill ya. I really don't like to publicly embarrass people who aren't being rude or otherwise deserving of it, either.
I save the b1tchen for more serious things, like when we went to Miami and our hotel tried to move us to another hotel because they over booked (they said a guest decided they wanted to stay longer). I said, no way ... I researched this hotel and I want to stay here ... I paid for my room 5 months ago and I've driven 10 hours ... we just want to get into our room, shower, change, and go out, not schlep all our stuff over to another hotel ... you can move that guest who wants to stay longer over to your other hotel ... I have a reservation.
Then they said I could go stay at the other hotel for one night and then come back the next day. I said no ... I'm onto schlepping over to that hotel with all our stuff, unpacking, then packing up tomorrow and schlepping back over here with all our stuff ... I'm on vacation.
Interesting. What happened with the hotel situation? Seems to me that if they were going to send you to another hotel, they should have paid for the room there at the very least. The only reason for allowing someone else to have your reserved room is if you did not show up by the time listed on the reservation agreement. But usually they have your credit card info and should be able to charge it for the night you booked but didn't show up for. At least that way, if you don't show up, they still get paid for the room and if you get there late, you still have a room. No one loses except you lose some money for the night if you don't show up at all or if you cancel late. I think most people would be ok with that if it means they know they'll have a room when they get to their destination.

For some reason, my husband didn't want to leave our stuff in a motel room while we were gone for the day. So I packed everything up and it went into the car. We did not check out. In fact, we'd booked the room for several nights. When we got back from our day's activities and dinner, we found our room occupied and our key would not work. We went to the desk to find out why we'd paid for our room for a number of days yet now we couldn't get into it. They said because we'd removed all our belongings, they thought we no longer needed the room. Right. We'd already paid for those days. They did give us another room but there would have been heck to pay if they hadn't.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100182 Sep 2, 2014
I don't see the Amy column for yesterday or today in topix. Did anyone succeed in posting them?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#100183 Sep 2, 2014
RACE wrote:
It's an art. You lead with your hips and thigh to form a wedge, then twist your upper body so you schlop all of their xcess back into their seat, and you form a wall to prevent any future spillage.
<quoted text>
When I fly I look for cheap b/c I can handle being uncomfortable for a few hours. If I was going overseas I would really have to think about what kind of ticket and what airlines I was going to fly depending upon the amount of time on the plane.

I've flown Spirit. You want ANYTHING extra, you pay for it. Extra meaning getting your seat assigned before you fly. Not much leg room at all. But I don't really care that much.

That said, I have to say at my height I'm a bit squished for leg room. I'm 5' 2 1/2". Most people probably suffer a lot more than I do.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#100184 Sep 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Dog's copy of Amy did not post.
Try this one. Be warned : it is about My Little Pony
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T8F2SIGD1A...
My daughter is a die-hard My Little Pony fan. She can talk for hours about them. Boy fans are called "bronies". There are tons of them. They sell shirts for guys and stuff, too.

She was upset because she missed a Brony conference in Tampa a few weeks ago.:-)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#100185 Sep 2, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Sticking with the airplane theme, another flight was diverted when a woman became angry that the person in front of her reclined. She demanded they land the plane. Pilot decided to accommodate. Dropped her in Jacksonville then continued to West palm beach.
Reading the comments, people going off topic started complaining about how flying used to be a special event that you would dress up for and now half the people look like they just rolled out of bed. So, who here dresses up? I don't look like I just rolled out of bed, but I damn sure ain't "dressing up". Comfort is king. Shorts and a t-shirt if weather permits.
I do, but I find that I get more credibility and better service if I am dressed closer to the business end of things. That was especially true when the kids were younger and we were traveling as a family. Not only airline employees but also car rental people and airport security people are more polite, more accommodating and more likely to volunteer some small service if I was in business dress rather than khakis. There was one time where I had a fat lady next to me and the flight attendant asked me quietly if I would prefer to change seats. I doubt that would have happened if I was dressed real casually.

I don't think I have ever flown in jeans or cut offs on a commercial flight. Private airplane, yes. Commercial flight, nope.

I also have never encountered someone who tried to "save" the seat next to them by putting their stuff on it.That would only happen on something like Southwest which does not have pre-assigned seats anyway.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#100186 Sep 2, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
When I fly I look for cheap b/c I can handle being uncomfortable for a few hours. If I was going overseas I would really have to think about what kind of ticket and what airlines I was going to fly depending upon the amount of time on the plane.
I've flown Spirit. You want ANYTHING extra, you pay for it. Extra meaning getting your seat assigned before you fly. Not much leg room at all. But I don't really care that much.
That said, I have to say at my height I'm a bit squished for leg room. I'm 5' 2 1/2". Most people probably suffer a lot more than I do.
Have you seen the YouTube on cheap flights? Its a hoot.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#100187 Sep 2, 2014
Since when did Topix start showing images?

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#100188 Sep 2, 2014
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. What happened with the hotel situation? Seems to me that if they were going to send you to another hotel, they should have paid for the room there at the very least. The only reason for allowing someone else to have your reserved room is if you did not show up by the time listed on the reservation agreement. But usually they have your credit card info and should be able to charge it for the night you booked but didn't show up for. At least that way, if you don't show up, they still get paid for the room and if you get there late, you still have a room. No one loses except you lose some money for the night if you don't show up at all or if you cancel late. I think most people would be ok with that if it means they know they'll have a room when they get to their destination.
For some reason, my husband didn't want to leave our stuff in a motel room while we were gone for the day. So I packed everything up and it went into the car. We did not check out. In fact, we'd booked the room for several nights. When we got back from our day's activities and dinner, we found our room occupied and our key would not work. We went to the desk to find out why we'd paid for our room for a number of days yet now we couldn't get into it. They said because we'd removed all our belongings, they thought we no longer needed the room. Right. We'd already paid for those days. They did give us another room but there would have been heck to pay if they hadn't.
They gave me the room.

They wanted to send me to another hotel property owned by them. The rooms actually cost more per night at this other property and it wasn't terribly far away, but I liked this hotel better and the location better. I had researched a bunch of hotels and this is the one I wanted to stay at. I had it all planned so we could just chill for a few days and no stress for my Mrs.

This hotel was more of a small boutique, which I liked and the restaurants were literally right outside the door. It was a happening Cuban neighborhood off a street that was closed to traffic. The other hotel was more of a traditional hotel off a busy street.

I booked the hotel on Orbitz and they charged my fees a few days later, which was 4 or 5 months before we traveled. So I had already paid (it wasn't cheap, either). If I canceled 48 hours before our stay, I could have received a refund, but I didnít and they had my money.

We showed up early too Ö a good 3 hours before official check in. So we werenít even late.

LOL about your situation. Thatís hilarious.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#100189 Sep 2, 2014
I have read recently where some airlines want to add standing room only on some flight.
FAA doesn't like that idea though.
ratso

Arlington Heights, IL

#100190 Sep 2, 2014
make the jumbotrons take 1st class - end of story

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#100191 Sep 2, 2014
My new wheels:

http://www.smokinharley.com/new/Harley-Davids...

Click watch video to get a good look at it. It's effing sweet.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100192 Sep 2, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They gave me the room.
They wanted to send me to another hotel property owned by them. The rooms actually cost more per night at this other property and it wasn't terribly far away, but I liked this hotel better and the location better. I had researched a bunch of hotels and this is the one I wanted to stay at. I had it all planned so we could just chill for a few days and no stress for my Mrs.
This hotel was more of a small boutique, which I liked and the restaurants were literally right outside the door. It was a happening Cuban neighborhood off a street that was closed to traffic. The other hotel was more of a traditional hotel off a busy street.
I booked the hotel on Orbitz and they charged my fees a few days later, which was 4 or 5 months before we traveled. So I had already paid (it wasn't cheap, either). If I canceled 48 hours before our stay, I could have received a refund, but I didnít and they had my money.
We showed up early too Ö a good 3 hours before official check in. So we werenít even late.
LOL about your situation. Thatís hilarious.
It is rather funny in retrospect. My husband learned to leave stuff in the motel rooms on trips after that. I can't tell you how annoyed I was to have to pack everything up even before breakfast that morning. It would be a funny story to pass on to the grandkids but I don't want to embarrass my husband. I guess if I left out the part where he was insisting we had to pack everything up and just say that's what we did, he wouldn't feel so bad.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100193 Sep 2, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
I have read recently where some airlines want to add standing room only on some flight.
FAA doesn't like that idea though.
Sure. Guess what would happen if there was sudden turbulence or everyone else was told to keep their seat belts on. The plane does a few bumping moves and folks are on the floor or in other passengers' laps. Some folks might like that if the person who falls into their laps is very attractive and the right gender. Or maybe they plan to have harnesses hanging from the ceiling for people to strap on? And if they're standing in the aisles, just try to get past them to get to a restroom. Folks running the airlines must be idiots.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#100194 Sep 2, 2014
27K is a lot of coin.
Sublime1 wrote:
My new wheels:
http://www.smokinharley.com/new/Harley-Davids...
Click watch video to get a good look at it. It's effing sweet.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100195 Sep 2, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It will cost more.
You're absolutely right. In wondering aloud, my mind set was of them losing a row or 2 to give us more space, and just having that many less seats to sell....but hadn't even considered that they would pass the cost onto us, which of course they would. As much as I would like more comfort, I want to keep money in my wallet even more.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100196 Sep 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I do, but I find that I get more credibility and better service if I am dressed closer to the business end of things. That was especially true when the kids were younger and we were traveling as a family. Not only airline employees but also car rental people and airport security people are more polite, more accommodating and more likely to volunteer some small service if I was in business dress rather than khakis. There was one time where I had a fat lady next to me and the flight attendant asked me quietly if I would prefer to change seats. I doubt that would have happened if I was dressed real casually.
I don't think I have ever flown in jeans or cut offs on a commercial flight. Private airplane, yes. Commercial flight, nope.
I also have never encountered someone who tried to "save" the seat next to them by putting their stuff on it. That would only happen on something like Southwest which does not have pre-assigned seats anyway.
while I don't doubt what you are saying, what perks have you experienced? I don't know that I'd attribute getting moved away from fatty as having to do with your attire. Additionally, I have not had to deal with any rude employees(lucky me) so I am more than happy with how I've been treated in general. Just trying to find out what perks you have had that might make me think dressing less comfortably would be worth my while. The only one I've ever heard is the occasional upgrade to first class. But because that is a crapshoot, its not worth the effort to me.

“Where is Tonka?”

#100197 Sep 2, 2014
didn't southwest use to advertise that they were all business class with wider seats and legroom?

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#100198 Sep 2, 2014
RACE wrote:
27K is a lot of coin.
<quoted text>
Yes, add on another 1.5k for all the other fees and taxes too. They wouldn't really negotiate because it's a CVO and pimped out.

I traded in my old one, tho, which helped. It's got a lot of upgrades over my old bike. It is defiantly a looker.

“Where is Tonka?”

#100199 Sep 2, 2014
They dont, I get a white box because I have flash turned off, now every time this page loads it wants to load some shockwave file and I wont let it.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen the YouTube on cheap flights? Its a hoot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZAg0lUYHHFcXX

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min RoxLo 1,581,538
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr ImPeach 242,537
Chicago is much worse since Obama was elected 2 hr check please 2
Only Mother Fu__ers would destroy our statues. 3 hr USA is great 1
What's the real story about Charlottsville? 3 hr tax time 21
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 63,945
sex crimes time to tell 4 hr Coco4u 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages