Topix Chitown Regulars

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#100121 Aug 28, 2014
Ever email your significant other with some very specific questions that you need answered and they respond to your email to tell you all about something else...but don't address you questions at all?

WTF

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#100123 Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, and to a mental midget like yourself, were all mental giants..Ammi right?
door left open walked in wrote:
<quoted text>The whole world is "abnormally tall" when you're a midget like you.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#100125 Aug 28, 2014
Aww,'cmone dudette, if you aint gonna post under a name we recognize, at least be consistent and use the same name when you post your drivel. Makes you look all frady-cat.
John Lofton wrote:
<quoted text>No. Look at your posts.
pellen

Cambridge, Canada

#100127 Aug 28, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
Edog must be having a gay love affair with the mod, because my posts about him being gay keep getting pulled.
:p
They are?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#100129 Aug 29, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#100130 Aug 29, 2014

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#100131 Aug 29, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's really simple. If the airlines didn't want people to be able to recline their seats, they wouldn't give people the option. If you are unusually large and way bigger than the normal person, it's not the person's job in front of you to subsidize your comfort at the cost of theirs ... just so you don't have to pony up money for a seat with more leg room.
It's all about who should have to deal with the inconvenience that comes with being abnormally tall. Should the person who has the condition have to deal with it or should other people have to deal with it.
These people who whine about it are cut from the same cloth as people who are hypersensitive to smells and cologne and who feel that their problem is actually not theirs at all, but really the problem of everyone else, who should be expected to live their lives as if the person with the hypersensitivity is the center of the universe.
I still think it's rude. Yeah, it's there adn you can. I personally think it's lousy to make a person extra-uncomforatble in an already tigh situation just to allow my head to go back 2 inches. My increase in comfort is so little compared to their major increase in discomfort. But we live in a world of "me, me, me" so most people don't care. Sometimes it's not about what you "can" do, but it's more about what makes life more liveable for all of us. Just because someone CAN chew gum, doesn't make it OK to crack gum in someones ear for fun, jsut because you CAN leave your garbage at your seat at the movies doesn't mean it's ok to leave it there for someone else to clean up, just because it feels good to you. It's called respect for others.

“No. 1 $tunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#100132 Aug 29, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I still think it's rude. Yeah, it's there adn you can. I personally think it's lousy to make a person extra-uncomforatble in an already tigh situation just to allow my head to go back 2 inches. My increase in comfort is so little compared to their major increase in discomfort. But we live in a world of "me, me, me" so most people don't care. Sometimes it's not about what you "can" do, but it's more about what makes life more liveable for all of us. Just because someone CAN chew gum, doesn't make it OK to crack gum in someones ear for fun, jsut because you CAN leave your garbage at your seat at the movies doesn't mean it's ok to leave it there for someone else to clean up, just because it feels good to you. It's called respect for others.
If you are that uncomfortable in a seat, then pay to get an upgraded seat instead of expecting the person up front to subsidize your comfort and cheaper seat.

I also don't equate to reclining my seat to cracking gum in someone's ear or leaving garbage. I recline my seat at home, because it's more comfortable. If I'm sleeping on a plane, I sleep better with a reclined seat. If I'm flying international, I'm going to recline my seat and not sit straight as a board for 10 hours. If I'm on a plane for 4 hours, I want to recline my seat. When the eff do people sit straight as a board for 4 hours ... I never do.

Some guy got arrested and thrown off an international flight yesterday for having a fit that someone was reclining their seat. What you fail to realize is that it is actually people such as him who are the me, me, me, people. They think that THEY should get to decide what passengers can and can't do, not the people who actually operate the aircraft. They think they have veto rights and people must fly the friendly skies according to their terms and so that they above anyone else are most comfortable.

If you've bought a ticket and your seat includes the button to recline your seat, you've paid for this option to recline your seat. People who complain about people who choose to exercise this option ... that they paid for with their own money ... expect other people to forgo exercising this option that they paid for just so that the person behind them can get a cheaper ticket and fly economy.

They can bite me and go use their own money and buy economy plus or find an airline that gives you more space, instead of expecting me to forgo my comfort so that they are more comfortable and can fly for less. It's not my job to make it so they can fly for less or be more comfortable and the expense of my comfort.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#100133 Aug 29, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are that uncomfortable in a seat, then pay to get an upgraded seat instead of expecting the person up front to subsidize your comfort and cheaper seat.
Not all planes are equipped with economy seats. Sometimes you have no choice. Your desire to recline does not give you the right to violate my personal space

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#100134 Aug 29, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I also don't equate to reclining my seat to cracking gum in someone's ear or leaving garbage. I recline my seat at home, because it's more comfortable. If I'm sleeping on a plane, I sleep better with a reclined seat. If I'm flying international, I'm going to recline my seat and not sit straight as a board for 10 hours. If I'm on a plane for 4 hours, I want to recline my seat. When the eff do people sit straight as a board for 4 hours ... I never do.
Some guy got arrested and thrown off an international flight yesterday for having a fit that someone was reclining their seat. What you fail to realize is that it is actually people such as him who are the me, me, me, people. They think that THEY should get to decide what passengers can and can't do, not the people who actually operate the aircraft. They think they have veto rights and people must fly the friendly skies according to their terms and so that they above anyone else are most comfortable.
If you've bought a ticket and your seat includes the button to recline your seat, you've paid for this option to recline your seat. People who complain about people who choose to exercise this option ... that they paid for with their own money ... expect other people to forgo exercising this option that they paid for just so that the person behind them can get a cheaper ticket and fly economy.
They can bite me and go use their own money and buy economy plus or find an airline that gives you more space, instead of expecting me to forgo my comfort so that they are more comfortable and can fly for less. It's not my job to make it so they can fly for less or be more comfortable and the expense of my comfort.

I get it for a long flight (2 hrs plus) and that is understandable, but you have serious issues if you can't sit up for an hour and a half.

We were getting on a plane once and a guy was fully reclined as people were entering the plane. We couldn't even get into our seats (let alone put our items under the seat). My friend politely asked the guy if he could move his seat up for a minute or two just so she could get in and stow her items. He said no! We had to ask the flight attendant to intervene.

I tend to fly Southwest because it offers the non-stops to the places I go. There is no "paying for more room" on those flights. At least the seats don't go back that far. But I have had paid more for certain seat assignments and still have had it happen.

I wouldn't throw a fit or make a scene at the person who does it. I just have to accept people that are are inconsiderate. It happens and that's life. I guess I jsut care about others. Many people don't. That's the difference.

“No. 1 $tunna”

Location hidden

#100135 Aug 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all planes are equipped with economy seats. Sometimes you have no choice. Your desire to recline does not give you the right to violate my personal space
It's NOT your space. If it were your space the airline would not give the person in front of you the option of occupying it by putting a recline button on their seat. By doing so, the airline has given this person the option to exercise the option to occupy the space that you claim is yours, anytime they want after the flight has taken off and before it's time to land.

If you can't deal with the terms the airline offers on flights and their are no other seats other than economy, it's like any other voluntary business transaction in life ... either A) accept the terms and suck it up or B) you are free to find another option, such as taking a train, driving, or chartering your own flight. No one owes you a flight on an airplane on your terms and your terms only.

“No. 1 $tunna”

Location hidden

#100136 Aug 29, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it for a long flight (2 hrs plus) and that is understandable, but you have serious issues if you can't sit up for an hour and a half.
I would never fly anywhere unless it were a connecting flight, for less than 2 hours. I hate going to airports, unless I have to. By the time you drive to the airport and get to the airport an hour early, schlep through security and get to your gate, you arenít saving that much time, either. Iíd rather just get in my car and drive. Driving is no biggie to me.

Also, these guys who demand that everyone fly on their terms and no one be allowed to recline are not just whining about this for flights that are less than 2 hours. To them, a longer flight just means they are in agony for longer.
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
We were getting on a plane once and a guy was fully reclined as people were entering the plane. We couldn't even get into our seats (let alone put our items under the seat). My friend politely asked the guy if he could move his seat up for a minute or two just so she could get in and stow her items. He said no! We had to ask the flight attendant to intervene.
Thatís rude.
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to fly Southwest because it offers the non-stops to the places I go. There is no "paying for more room" on those flights. At least the seats don't go back that far. But I have had paid more for certain seat assignments and still have had it happen.
I wouldn't throw a fit or make a scene at the person who does it. I just have to accept people that are are inconsiderate. It happens and that's life. I guess I jsut care about others. Many people don't. That's the difference.
The person who reclines for their own comfort should not be said to be more rude than the person who demands that other people not recline so that they are comfortable. Itís two people striving for whatís most comfortable for them. The airline has sided with the person who opts to recline, by virtue of the fact that they give them this option. When I buy an airline ticket, it's a transaction with terms set between me and the airline ... not me, the airline, and the person who sits behind me.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100137 Aug 29, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
I personally think it's lousy to make a person extra-uncomforatble
As I mentioned, I've never even considered asking the person in front of me to not recline. Them reclining does not make me "extra uncomfortable" and I'm going to guess I'm bigger than you. As I also mentioned, in 42 years, only 1 person has ever asked me to not recline. So if it does not make me feel extra uncomfortable and a vast minority of ONE has been the only request for me to not recline, it makes no sense for me to assume everyone feels "extra-uncomfortable ".
Stina2 wrote:
My increase in comfort is so little compared to their major increase in discomfort.
I feel the exact opposite. I would be much more uncomfortable not being able to recline than I feel when the person in front of me does. There are very few places where I sit straight up for an extended period of time. I lean back on my couch. I lean back on my recliner. My office chair leans back considerably more than an airline seat. Even my car seat is inclined a tad bit more than a fully upright airplane seat.
Stina2 wrote:
But we live in a world of "me, me, me" so most people don't care.
And you are as much to blame.

You want everyone else to think the way that you do and assume that leaning back would be a bother to the person behind them, but we all don't share that opinion. If the guy in front of me made that assumption, he'd have needlessly subjected himself to an uncomfortable flight.

Which is why I go back to my original statement. Its my seat. I am going to lean back.I am going to assume the person behind me has the same mentality as me and would not be bothered just as I would not be bothered. If my chair is causing them too much discomfort, say something. I'm a nice guy. I can be reasoned with, But the onus is on that person to tell me, not on me to ask permission to use my seat.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100138 Aug 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not your personal space. That button that comes with my seat allows it to recline. However far it reclines is MY personal space.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#100139 Aug 29, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
The person who reclines for their own comfort should not be said to be more rude than the person who demands that other people not recline so that they are comfortable. Itís two people striving for whatís most comfortable for them. The airline has sided with the person who opts to recline, by virtue of the fact that they give them this option.
Winna winna chicken dinna!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#100141 Aug 29, 2014
It IS my personal space. The immediate area surrounding my body is MY personal space whether I'm on an airplane or not. Your recline button does NOT allow you to annex MY personal space as your own

“No. 1 $tunna”

Location hidden

#100142 Aug 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
It IS my personal space. The immediate area surrounding my body is MY personal space whether I'm on an airplane or not. Your recline button does NOT allow you to annex MY personal space as your own
It's more appropriately called rented seat/space on an airplane.

You've agreed to pay the airline X amount of dollars for a rented seat/space. The airline pretty much unilaterally decides the terms of this exchange ... including the size of your seat, the leg room, and the possibility that the person in front of you may or may not exercise the option to recline their seat.

You know this going in to the deal. You are free to take the airlines terms or leave it. That's the way this works. We all know this. If you don't like the airlines offer and have all the personal space you want in your own car and drive to your destination or find some other means of travel.

And your personal space gets more invaded at the taste of Chicago or on a crowded train or subway or L. I liken the taste of Chicago to a mass of people rubbing up against each other and exchanging sweat. I did that once or twice when I was younger, and was like eff that.

Seriously, what's next, if you are really hungry and the person next to you is not hungry, can you as a passenger unilaterally decide to steal their peanuts and eat them, with the thought process being that much since they aren't hungry it won't bother them that much if they don't eat their peanuts and it would bother you more if you didn't take them, because you are really hungry?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#100143 Aug 29, 2014
we're talking peanuts now?

I have flown numerous times. Never have I had an issue with a passenger invading my personal space. And if they had, hey, I'm a fairly tolerant person. I realize I share this planet with 7 billion people. I would likely deal. But my issue is your insistence that "hey, this is my personal space and I OWN it, so STFU!" THAT is what I take issue with. Okay, you own your seat. I also own mine. Maybe I"ll have a coughing fit, or sneezing fit, if you insist on lying your head in my lap....

“No. 1 $tunna”

Location hidden

#100144 Aug 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
we're talking peanuts now?
I have flown numerous times. Never have I had an issue with a passenger invading my personal space. And if they had, hey, I'm a fairly tolerant person. I realize I share this planet with 7 billion people. I would likely deal. But my issue is your insistence that "hey, this is my personal space and I OWN it, so STFU!" THAT is what I take issue with. Okay, you own your seat. I also own mine. Maybe I"ll have a coughing fit, or sneezing fit, if you insist on lying your head in my lap....
You are just as insistent that it is your space. So insistent that you are threatening to cough and sneeze on people if they occupy it. Yet you claim to have a problem when I simply say, actually it's my space ... the airline has given me the option to occupy that space by putting a button on my seat to allow it to recline ... I bought the ticket from the airline, not you ... therefore you have no say in what I can't do in my seat.

And the fact that you would consider having a coughing fit or a sneezing fit just to punish the person in front of you, who is not reclining to punish you, mind you, but so that they are more comfortable, with absolutely no regard for the people who are sitting in your row and next to you , shows exactly how you effing "recliner whiners" are ... passive aggressive pussays who get mad and try to punish people because they didn't put your comfort over their own ... how dare they not put your comfort over their own and make everything about you ... don't they know who you are and that the world revolves around you ... don't they know that you are the god of the airplane and as such YOU, not the airline and paying customers, will decide what occupants can and can't do ... so as to maximize your comfort at the expense of others.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#100145 Aug 29, 2014
Seriously fighting over airplane seats reclining? Again? The more things change...

It would really be a non-problem if the people reclining didn't recline all the way even though they are allowed to do it. It is a dooshy move. On almost all flights within the US, even cross country, most people can survive with it reclined minimally

Of course that would require courtesy, so not likely to happen. Carry on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Realtime 1,236,838
dearabby 6-3-15 5 min mrs gladys kravitz 7
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 39 min Earthling-1 53,612
Amy 6.3.15 1 hr mrs gladys kravitz 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr FastandFurious 189,930
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr CDC 51,768
"It Takes A Village", Hillary's book was totally 3 hr Rocket Man 6
amy 6-2 4 hr blunt advice 32
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]