Topix Chitown Regulars

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#100041 Aug 22, 2014
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
;-) Oh I've been aware of the need for password security since I first started using them. The problem has been the method. I know for certain that if I wrote them in a book like an address book, I'd lose it for sure. I tried some years ago to figure out whether individual files could be password protected but could find no information about that anywhere at the time. Most of my passwords are simply the first letters of each word in a silly/nonsense sentence with numbers and characters interspersed. The trick is remembering which password is for what. And I do change them every few months or more often if I suspect a problem. Yesterday, I did google password protecting individual files/documents and found some useful information so that helps. If you have any other useful suggestions, I'd be happy to know.
In the meantime, right-click on a file that's in your hard drive and pick "properties". There should be a "security" tab and go from there.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100042 Aug 22, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not capable of it either. If you don't respond it would stop. But hey, at least there's some action on this thread.
When I first started posting on the Abby and Amy columns here on Topix, everyone was very nice about explaining things to me. I very much appreciated that. One of the things I was told had to do with trolls. I had no idea what everyone was talking about when they referred to trolls but it was explained and I was told the best way to handle them was to ignore them. I haven't been on this particular thread very much in the past but I noticed in the past couple of days, there are names with which I'm unfamiliar and the posts from them are very "troll-like." My assumption is that they are indeed trolls. So I have to suppose some of the Regulars are enjoying the battle so to speak. Otherwise they'd be ignoring the jabs. I'm sorry they are so otherwise bored that they need these trolls for entertainment. ;-) After reading the first couple or so of the troll posts, I've been ignoring them - not even bothering to read them. I don't see the point.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100043 Aug 22, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
In the meantime, right-click on a file that's in your hard drive and pick "properties". There should be a "security" tab and go from there.
Thanks. Did I not say you folks are very helpful and have been from the start?:-)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#100044 Aug 22, 2014
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
;-) Oh I've been aware of the need for password security since I first started using them. The problem has been the method. I know for certain that if I wrote them in a book like an address book, I'd lose it for sure. I tried some years ago to figure out whether individual files could be password protected but could find no information about that anywhere at the time. Most of my passwords are simply the first letters of each word in a silly/nonsense sentence with numbers and characters interspersed. The trick is remembering which password is for what. And I do change them every few months or more often if I suspect a problem. Yesterday, I did google password protecting individual files/documents and found some useful information so that helps. If you have any other useful suggestions, I'd be happy to know.
I'm impressed. You're already using a pretty good method, with the one caveat, as you already mentioned, being difficult to remember them all without writing them down.

If you use Microsoft Word, a file CAN be password protected.
http://www.wikihow.com/Password-Protect-a-Mic...

Additionally, and admittedly a bit more complex, something you could do is store that file on a thumb drive in an encrypted volume for double security. Look up a program called true crypt.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100045 Aug 22, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I'm impressed. You're already using a pretty good method, with the one caveat, as you already mentioned, being difficult to remember them all without writing them down.
If you use Microsoft Word, a file CAN be password protected.
http://www.wikihow.com/Password-Protect-a-Mic...
Additionally, and admittedly a bit more complex, something you could do is store that file on a thumb drive in an encrypted volume for double security. Look up a program called true crypt.
Thanks, Tonka. This is helpful.:-)
Thanks. This is helpful.:-)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#100046 Aug 22, 2014
Pippa wrote:
After reading the first couple or so of the troll posts, I've been ignoring them - not even bothering to read them. I don't see the point.
Welcome to the club.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#100048 Aug 22, 2014
Danm straight I'm am! Errr, not..., ummm AmNot!
Angel Jones wrote:
<quoted text> Surprisingly, race is NOT a troll because he is legitimately an idiot and his posts are meant to highlight tha

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#100049 Aug 22, 2014
RACE wrote:
Danm straight I'm am! Errr, not..., ummm AmNot!
<quoted text>
Not me, not me, not me. I haven't been her in a while. Check back to my last post. Someone is using my name.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#100050 Aug 22, 2014
Angel Jones wrote:
<quoted text>Troll is a relative term though. Certainly, Edogxxx is a troll because he posts only to provoke. Surprisingly, race is NOT a troll because he is legitimately an idiot and his posts are meant to highlight that. Sublime is a troll because he posts for his own vainglorious self-aggrandizement. And really, anybody who posts under the guise that they are researching Topix and who might enlist the same from other posters whether by SUBtrefuge (sic) or simple association is a very serious troll. It takes all kinds to fill up the threads!
This is not me. My bad. I didn't have my email hidden. Look mofo knock it off.

Reported for impersonating me. And ummmm whoever you are, GFY.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#100051 Aug 22, 2014
Hi All! Happy Friday.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#100052 Aug 22, 2014
I haven't really been her in a while and not really active when I have been. Apparently someone got my real name and is using it to post. You should all be familiar with my work by now. I only ever insult Edog. I realize they could imitate Mimi Seattle by making the L an upper case I so yeah, whatever. If it sounds out of character for me it probably is. No one get their feelings hurt please. It's not me. Check with me on FB if you're in doubt because I won't likely check here. I only knew about this because NW Moon asked me so I came to look.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#100053 Aug 22, 2014
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Not me, not me, not me. I haven't been her in a while. Check back to my last post. Someone is using my name.
Relax, we already knew that. No worries, his post has been deleted. How you been? You still sexy?

“Where is Tonka?”

#100055 Aug 22, 2014
Hard to follow.. Or hard to swallow...
Oh right, you have no porblem swallowing...
my bad.
Valerie wrote:
That was hard to follow! Someone posted as "Mimi Seattle" that wasn't Mimi Seattle? Quell dommage?

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#100056 Aug 22, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax, we already knew that. No worries, his post has been deleted. How you been? You still sexy?
Sexy is eternal.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#100057 Aug 23, 2014

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#100058 Aug 24, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#100059 Aug 24, 2014

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#100060 Aug 25, 2014

“Where is Tonka?”

#100061 Aug 25, 2014

Saint Petersburg, FL

#100062 Aug 25, 2014
RACE wrote:
yeah, riiiight

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min ReplaceGOP 1,640,238
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min hojo 64,105
Help me 55 min The beans 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr WelbyMD 242,989
Kevin Hassett is a SHAM 2 hr Bill Q 1
Sarah Sanders is a Hog 2 hr Buffalo Burp 1
Al Frankenstein is Innocent,Sessions and Moore ... 2 hr General Herpy 4

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages