Topix Chitown Regulars
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#100000 Aug 21, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you can password-protect a document on the computer. At some point, though, it has to end having passwords to protect passwords.:D Not that I don't understand b/c we all probably have a gazillion passwords to remember.
Thank you for the information. I can see the problem with keeping a password list on one's computer but a book with them (similar to an address book) is easily lost or stolen. I saw some in an office supply store once and at first thought they were a great idea. Then it occurred to me that I often misplace stuff and that would be a big problem in itself. Try remembering a password is one thing, not being able to find the book holding all my passwords would be even worse. I wouldn't even know for sure whether it had been stolen or just misplaced. I can't be the only person with that problem. My husband always tells me to look in the bottom of my purse. Often that works but not always. ;-)
Mommy

United States

#100002 Aug 21, 2014
Okay, kids. Knock it off! I don't want to hear any more of this he-says/she-says. Agree to disagree and move on.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#100003 Aug 21, 2014
Pippa wrote:
The only thing I can think of is that passwords need to be more securely protected.
The fact that you have arrived at this evaluation is a good thing. The fact that it seems like a revelation to you has IT people banging there heads against the wall. Securing your passwords is not a new concern. I've seen people who write them on sticky notes stuck to the monitor. I wonder if they leave their house key hanging on a hook just outside the door or write their ATM pin on the back of their ATM card.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Detroit, MI

#100004 Aug 21, 2014
I've got all my passwords written down and make sure I only keep them in one place and not move them around. I have forgotten the password to my computer before so see no sense in keeping them in there. Changing your passwords regularly is a good idea too. Best of luck, pipps

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#100005 Aug 21, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you can password-protect a document on the computer. At some point, though, it has to end having passwords to protect passwords.:D Not that I don't understand b/c we all probably have a gazillion passwords to remember.
I don't write or store my actual passwords anywhere. I have a few passwords that I use as a base and vary them by adding numbers and special characters depending on the type of site(bank, credit card, payee, etc). I keep track of the accounts in a spreadsheet and how I classify them so I know which characters to add to the base. But the main word is only in my head.

“reign in blood”

Detroit, MI

#100006 Aug 21, 2014
Here He Goes Again wrote:
<quoted text>You said she's disgraceful. Was that a lie?
<quoted text>
And would you two give it a rest, you're entertaining no one and it makes you look childish

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#100009 Aug 21, 2014
I just add zzz to whatever site needs a password, so yahoo pwd is yahoozzz and topix is topixzzz. Nobody will ever crack that code!
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't write or store my actual passwords anywhere. I have a few passwords that I use as a base and vary them by adding numbers and special characters depending on the type of site(bank, credit card, payee, etc). I keep track of the accounts in a spreadsheet and how I classify them so I know which characters to add to the base. But the main word is only in my head.

“Leopard Skin”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#100010 Aug 21, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lemme guess, Stank Breath and Purple Umbrella were already taken. So you went with Pill Box Hat.
Wow! Ya gots me there with your famous chokehold, Sub1. I can see why they call you the "Queen of Repartee"

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#100011 Aug 21, 2014
Mommy wrote:
Okay, kids. Knock it off! I don't want to hear any more of this he-says/she-says. Agree to disagree and move on.
I am not sure he's capable of that. I seem to have really upset him by saying unkind thinks to his topix girlfriend.
Paul Harvey

Kernersville, NC

#100012 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>
19 year old childish?
Edog didn't have a moral problem with the arrangement so much as he had whiskey d1ck. And now you know the rest of the story...

Location hidden

#100014 Aug 21, 2014
Pill Box Hat wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! Ya gots me there with your famous chokehold, Sub1. I can see why they call you the "Queen of Repartee"
^^^^ that amusing coming from a stranger to wit. To wit, you aren't very witty yourself.

Location hidden

#100017 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>I don't know the woman but I'd still like to know why you see her as being disgraceful. You seem unable to put together a reason.
I have no love for trolls.

Location hidden

#100018 Aug 21, 2014
And if you are a chicken shyte who hides behind a proxy, because you don't have the balls to say the things you are saying, unless you hide like a wittle chicken shyte, you are a troll.

You are free to disagree with me. I'm free to have my own thoughts on it.

“Leopard Skin”

Location hidden

#100022 Aug 21, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
^^^^ that amusing coming from a stranger to wit. To wit, you aren't very witty yourself.
Well! I don't know how ya do it, but ya gots me again.
They tell me you have just as much wit as you have hair.
Can't compete with that :-)

Location hidden

#100023 Aug 21, 2014
the REST of that story wrote:
<quoted text>Sub is talking bad about trolls with proxies! Are you going to take that from him?
Everyone knows that's me. I only did it so I could post as Paul Harvey.

Location hidden

#100024 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>LOL, so now she's a troll? Well that makes it easy for you to rationalize and you can continue to avoid the question. What are you afraid of?
You are boring to converse with, but thanks for attempt.

Location hidden

#100025 Aug 21, 2014
Pill Box Hat wrote:
<quoted text>Well! I don't know how ya do it, but ya gots me again.
They tell me you have just as much wit as you have hair.
Can't compete with that :-)
"They've" told you about me. I guess that's kind of flattering, considering I don't care to know a thing about you.:-)

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#100027 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>And not much of one according to his story. He was coherent enough not to fully penetrate as far as he can remember and he took other precautions. If he didn't hold back for moral reasons or because of having not taken precautions then it must have been a performance issue.
Eh, well, I guess that's what happens when you get old. But don't let my erectile dysfunction get in the way of your boring, uninteresting, and childish dialog

“Leopard Skin”

Location hidden

#100030 Aug 21, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"They've" told you about me. I guess that's kind of flattering, considering I don't care to know a thing about you.:-)
Yes, "they" said you are an attention wh0re and that you type for days on end, flattering yourself, and hoping for some kind of Topix fame. I can see how you would confuse *snickering* for flattery.
Who asked you to care about me? I don't swing that way, sub.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#100031 Aug 21, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I do the same as you basically. I have 4 regular passwords, basically. I change numbers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Copout 1,498,544
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min JRB 237,869
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 26 min Susanm 10,375
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min Rshermr 63,406
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Ize Found 71,400
last post wins! (Dec '10) 2 hr honeymylove 3,030
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 2 hr Boo Madigan 24

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages