Topix Chitown Regulars

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99770 Jul 31, 2014
Florida mom arrested after letting son walk to park alone

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/sta...

Here's one(and another one referenced later in the story) to get Squishy's blood boiling.

Most of the comments think this is ridiculous, but here is one who disagrees.

"There are too many creeps with camera phones to allow any kids under 15 play in the park by themselves. Does this mom deserve to be charged with child neglect? No. Does this mom deserve to be required to attend child parenting classes? Probably."

WTF? And what does a camera phone have to do with anything? Unless your kid is running around nekkid at the park, what is a creeper gonna capture on his phone that is a big worry? 15? So don't go to the park alone until you are on the cusp of being able to drive a car? This woman is friggin crazy.

In third grade, I was 7/8. Went to and from school on my bike. No cell phones. 1.2 miles away.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#99771 Jul 31, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Always apreciated, edog and pellen.
Then show us your boobs!

“reign in blood”

United States

#99772 Jul 31, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Here's one(and another one referenced later in the story) to get Squishy's blood boiling.
"There are too many creeps with camera phones to allow any kids under 15 play in the park by themselves. Does this mom deserve to be charged with child neglect? No. Does this mom deserve to be required to attend child parenting classes? Probably."
WTF? And what does a camera phone have to do with anything? Unless your kid is running around nekkid at the park, what is a creeper gonna capture on his phone that is a big worry? 15? So don't go to the park alone until you are on the cusp of being able to drive a car? This woman is friggin crazy.
In third grade, I was 7/8. Went to and from school on my bike. No cell phones. 1.2 miles away.
Biked or walked all over town at 7/8 all day long. No cell phone. And kids were actually at a greater risk back then. The nanny state we've become is beyond ridiculous. We are doing our kids no favors. No wonder they're not prepared to handle adulthood

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#99773 Jul 31, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then show us your boobs!
***flash***(.)(.)*flash***

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#99774 Jul 31, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
7 is probably a little young for most kids -- but I think that's the parents call, not law enforcement. Obviously, this mother was cautious. The kid had a cell phone around his neck and she did teach him about safety.

Also, I think it depends on the area.

You would allow your 7 year old to go alone to play in the park in most of the neighborhoods in the southside of Chicago.

I don't think it's become a nanny state. I think cops overreact. He could have simply returned the kid home and talked to the mother. He did not have to arrest her.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#99775 Jul 31, 2014
By the time I was 8, I was playing in traffic.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99776 Aug 1, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99777 Aug 1, 2014
RACE wrote:
By the time I was 8, I was playing in traffic.
With or without broken bottle?.

The Florida cop overreacted but I suspect there was more to the story

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99778 Aug 2, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TCL80LGNR2...

Dear Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T1FGNNDT4B...

Ask Amy

Good morning all my little derpy chickadees

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99779 Aug 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
With or without broken bottle?.
The Florida cop overreacted but I suspecthere was more to the story
And what about the SC cop and the 9 year old?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99780 Aug 2, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And what about the SC cop and the 9 year old?
I wasn't following that one ( or the thread if it was being discussed. Remind me of the details

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99781 Aug 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't following that one ( or the thread if it was being discussed. Remind me of the details
It was mentioned in the story about the 7 year old.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99782 Aug 3, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TUVQTB378D...

Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TCOPLQRM23...

Amy

Good morning my little sleepyheads . Rise and Shine. Up at at 'em
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#99783 Aug 3, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You just got about 25% less hot. Do you at least like Slayer?
2nd tan in your life?? And you live in Florida? After living outside for four days, I look like a lobster. People at work asked me where the hell I've been over the weekend (guess it was kinda chilly here last week.) I get a tan taking out the garbage, fer cryin out loud. Get outside more
And congrats on everything! You're doing great!!
I do not like Slayer.

I live in Florida with very Celtic skin. I burn red instead of tan and seeing as red is unattractive and unhealthy, I avoid outside. I also find lying still in excrutiating heat unpleasant and something to be avoided.
I actually got heat exhaustion on Monday! Never experienced that in my life. Started walking in and collapsed on beach, dry heaved in the sand, left supplies where they were, crawled on hands and knees up stairs to condo, where I collapsed in foyer until I cooled off and crawled upstairs for water. Wild. No one saw or helped either.

My left eat is still clogged, friggit. Arg....lol.....
survivalist

Beijing, China

#99784 Aug 3, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not like Slayer.
I live in Florida with very Celtic skin. I burn red instead of tan and seeing as red is unattractive and unhealthy, I avoid outside. I also find lying still in excrutiating heat unpleasant and something to be avoided.
I actually got heat exhaustion on Monday! Never experienced that in my life. Started walking in and collapsed on beach, dry heaved in the sand, left supplies where they were, crawled on hands and knees up stairs to condo, where I collapsed in foyer until I cooled off and crawled upstairs for water. Wild. No one saw or helped either.
My left eat is still clogged, friggit. Arg....lol.....
I was going to ask you to go Central America to do "Naked & Afraid" with me but, I think you might be better suited to a motel. I'll bring the camera!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99785 Aug 4, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99786 Aug 4, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99787 Aug 5, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99788 Aug 6, 2014

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99789 Aug 6, 2014
21 Things All Chefs Want To Say To Your Face...But Can't.

http://news.distractify.com/culture/message-f...

"2. Ordering a prime cut of meat "very well-done" should be outlawed.
Nothing makes me want to cry quite like burning a filet mignon, or charring an otherwise delectable burger. In my opinion, no one should every order anything well-done. Stick to medium-well. Try it once for me! Wolfgang Puck has said:“You definitely shouldn’t get it cooked more than medium.” When you overcook meat, you lose the texture and all of the natural flavor. "

"13. I'm not a sushi chef, but stop drowning your sushi in soy sauce. It's just wrong.
Some chefs at higher quality places actually brush their preferred amount of soy sauce on the sushi itself, in which case you shouldn't dip it anyway. Less is more with sushi. If your sushi hasn't been dunked in soy sauce and you have the option to dip, try dipping your chopsticks and then using a small amount of soy sauce. You might develop a new appreciation for fish! "

"15. A glass of red wine should be served at right around 60 degrees Fahrenheit
Which means you should not be putting ice cubes in your red wine. Or any wine, if the restaurant is chilling it properly."

Tonka's response to these 3:
Go Fluck Yourself. If I want my steak well done and proceed to smear it into a bowl of sushi swimming in soy sauce and wash it down with a cup of wine I poured into my ice filled water glass, that's what I'm gonna do....cause I'm paying for it. Don't tell me how you think I SHOULD enjoy my food. Pretentious prick.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 6 min They cannot kill ... 2,247
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 8 min They cannot kill ... 8,072
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 12 min Maggie2358 421
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Dr Guru 212,958
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 36 min border 58,781
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 1,964
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr Tami 8,436
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages