Comments
97,401 - 97,420 of 97,985 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
current crisis

Guangzhou, China

#99600 Jul 10, 2014
"I suppose to maintain unity I'll have to go. But suppose a family member invited you to a global warming denyer convention? Or say they legalized puppy killing and you were invited to a puppy killing party? Would you go to support your family member? This is what I'm dealing with."

We have got to stop the flow of undocumented opinions from Uranus!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99601 Jul 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
I suppose to maintain unity I'll have to go. But suppose a family member invited you to a global warming denyer convention? Or say they legalized puppy killing and you were invited to a puppy killing party? Would you go to support your family member? This is what I'm dealing with.
Really? This is what you think is an apples to apples comparison? If someone invited me to a puppy killin party I would have no problem telling them what a sick fluck I think they are. Maintaining a relationship or family unity with that person would not be on my priority list.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#99602 Jul 10, 2014
I'm not comparing the two. The comparison is, would you support something you are against for the sake of keeping the peace?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#99603 Jul 10, 2014
Oh, what a coward you are, dog.
Spineless and without any honour, whatsoever.
Just tell her the truth and take your lumps.
Snivelling little waste of space is what you are.
Really?
Your comparison equalling puppy killing to equal rights is something you should tell her, too. She has the right to know what sort of POS you are, so she can make sure any children she has in the future are shielded from you.
Seriously. I wouldn't want my kids or grandkids around you. Not until they were old enough to know what a piece of work you are.

Location hidden

#99604 Jul 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
I'm not comparing the two. The comparison is, would you support something you are against for the sake of keeping the peace?
LIAR. You just DID compare the two!
Really, do you ever listen to the shyte you spew?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99605 Jul 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
All depends on what that something is. And I don't equate mere attendance at a function with support.

If someone I cared for was marrying an abuser, not something I would be in favor of, but I would not skip the wedding.

I can stand by and watch people make decisions for their own lives thst I would not make in mine.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#99606 Jul 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
You were sort of comparing using ridiculous examples. Get it out of your head that you are supporting an agenda. You are supporting your niece, your family, who doesn't have her father there for her. You would be representing him, I would think.
Sometimes its not all about you. Show some maturity and smile. You don't have to gush over the happy couple but just be respectful.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#99607 Jul 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
So when you go to the store do you find out what the owner's/shareholder's political policies are before you buy something?

When you buy gas, do you realize most big oil companies give to both Republicans and Democrats so in essence some of your dollars are going to support Democrats? Ooooh, that's a good one!

Location hidden

#99608 Jul 10, 2014
You know, this whole wedding thing is something I've seen before.
Back when I was younger than dog I had several friends over the years who married people from different religions or who had different skin tones.
I don't think most would have wanted racist relations there, even if the person was going to pretend they thought it was okay.
At least three of them I KNOW didn't want some relatives there because they knew that the person thought their intended was a (Insert racial or religious slur here) and the marriage wasn't "right", they should "stick to their own kind".

Tell her the truth you coward, and see if she even wants you there after that.
You know the reason you won't? Not for family unity, but because you know deep down you are WRONG.

I'm going on vacation, I'm sure you won't miss me.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#99609 Jul 10, 2014
NWmoon wrote:
You know, this whole wedding thing is something I've seen before.
Back when I was younger than dog I had several friends over the years who married people from different religions or who had different skin tones.
I don't think most would have wanted racist relations there, even if the person was going to pretend they thought it was okay.
At least three of them I KNOW didn't want some relatives there because they knew that the person thought their intended was a (Insert racial or religious slur here) and the marriage wasn't "right", they should "stick to their own kind".
Tell her the truth you coward, and see if she even wants you there after that.
You know the reason you won't? Not for family unity, but because you know deep down you are WRONG.
Enjoy your vacation, Moon!

“reign in blood”

United States

#99610 Jul 10, 2014
greenwichvillage wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it out of your head that you are supporting an agenda. You are supporting your niece, your family, who doesn't have her father there for her. You would be representing him, I would think.
Good points. Her father doesn't even have the opportunity to be at her wedding, be kinda scummy of me to blow my opportunity

“reign in blood”

United States

#99611 Jul 10, 2014
NWmoon wrote:
At least you're right about one thing!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99612 Jul 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
I suppose to maintain unity I'll have to go. But suppose a family member invited you to a global warming denyer convention? Or say they legalized puppy killing and you were invited to a puppy killing party? Would you go to support your family member? This is what I'm dealing with.
That is arguing to an absurd end. and you know it

I actually have some sympathy for your position.

The group knows I was brought up Jewish but that my husband and I agreed to bring up our children in a church. When our eldest was going to be baptized, I invited my mother and grandmother.

Two things happened: my parents had a religious spasm and literally wanted me to talk to rabbi's I had never met to talk me out of the baptism. My mother and grandmother did not want to attend to put it mildly. I pulled in all the chips I could think of to get them there because it was important to me that they recognize a decision my husband and I had made about a basic family matter.

They attended. They stood at the back of the sanctuary, never took their coats off and left as soon as the pastor introduced the baby as a new member of the congregation.

It was not a pleasant rejoicing time. I did it because I thought it was necessary to mark a boundary about what was important to my new nuclear family. Neither of my siblings lived in town so they finessed the issue.

I don't know I would have been as stubborn with my brother and sister if they were local.
My mother continued to try and convert my daughters back for a number of years and eventually gave up.

If you do decide to attend, be gracious. Effusive is not required in my book, but good manners are.

“reign in blood”

United States

#99613 Jul 10, 2014
PEllen wrote:
If you do decide to attend, be gracious. Effusive is not required in my book, but good manners are.
Had to look up what effusive meant. Thanks for writing the book though! Where can I get a copy?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99614 Jul 10, 2014
Midlothian Composer wrote:
Now I know nothing about polar ice caps except the pictures I've seen of penguins and seals are quite cute. What I do know is that I once thought the cloud coming out of a smokestack was actually a tornado cloud during my first few weeks in Springfield and it took me almost 10 minutes of staring at it, trying to determine if it was going to come after me, intermixed with fears of being struck by lightening. BTW, when I realized there was no tornado, I proceeded to get home as slowly as I possibly could, in the sense I was beyond anxious to park my car while being totally unwilling to drive in a rainstorm that could have been in Chicago, at least in ferocity.
What I do know is if there is no power, many scientists would not be able to continue their work and we wouldn't be chatting it out on a public forum. I guess my question would be, why do we not push to inspire those monumental types of breakthroughs and instead argue advancements in improving quality of life is somehow always guaranteed to be lethal to capitalism?
Thoughts?
The power plant on the SE side of I-55?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#99615 Jul 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
I have bought tickets and attended Yankees games with my husband and my father. I am a Mets fan (I know, my teams all stink, but I have been a Mets fan since I was little). This is the best comparison I can think of.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#99616 Jul 10, 2014
Interesting article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/...

Tells the story of how you can become very poor in a short time and how we should have more empathy (if you ask me) and support people emotionally so they can get to where they want to be.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#99617 Jul 10, 2014
Just popping in to say hi to my peeps. Busy but still alive.
I applied for a resource position in my district. You have to do all this required stuff and be interviewed downtown by a panel of head folk in the field...it's intense. After that, then you are eligible to apply for resource positions. These positions take you out of the classroom and let you assist teachers in any way to improve them, the students, and the school.

I told my prin and after that SHE told me she just applied for a writing coach! So I passed and it's me! I can stay in same school and get out of teaching and into helping others, which is what I want to do anyway, so this is the perfect transition into that.
I'm super psyched!!

Still teaching a 5-hour course at uni, too. Whew.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99618 Jul 11, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99619 Jul 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Just popping in to say hi to my peeps. Busy but still alive.
I applied for a resource position in my district. You have to do all this required stuff and be interviewed downtown by a panel of head folk in the field...it's intense. After that, then you are eligible to apply for resource positions. These positions take you out of the classroom and let you assist teachers in any way to improve them, the students, and the school.
I told my prin and after that SHE told me she just applied for a writing coach! So I passed and it's me! I can stay in same school and get out of teaching and into helping others, which is what I want to do anyway, so this is the perfect transition into that.
I'm super psyched!!
Still teaching a 5-hour course at uni, too. Whew.
Way to go, girl!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,101,923
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min truth-facts 46,388
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min loose cannon 177,540
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 25 min Lawrence Wolf 66
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 35 min KiMare 49,518
ruth ann hall's son 57 min EYES EVERWHERE 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Rick Moss 69,094
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago