Topix Chitown Regulars
current crisis

Beijing, China

#99626 Jul 12, 2014
Midlothian Composer wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh thank you for the extra smile!:) As I said, I was a Concrete Chick before I moved there and probably wouldn't have recognized a tornado until it picked me up and spit me out somewhere else.
I am not familiar with Meet Up and will review their site tonight/tomorrow. Thanks for the lead. You mention you get notices about writing...perhaps you are also afflicted with a love of lex? Anything in particular you enjoy writing about?
As for the Go Blue group, I welcome conversation from all sides as I personally belong to the Go Transparent group. ;)
Lastly, I suppose I should fully disclose I am originally from the north suburbs, moved to the city after high school, relocated to the sw burbs on a romantic whim, left the burbs for Springfield due to the whim coming to an end and ended up back in the sw burbs after a house fire due to faulty wiring. Thought about moving back to Chicago but cost of living was a tad out of my reach...especially with the insane parking contract currently in place. You guys have to pay the private company "lost" revenues any time a street is closed/inaccessible. That ain't very business or community friendly, don't ya think?
That's privatization for you! The Indiana Tollroad is privately owned now (a foreign company) and the State Police cannot close it in inclement weather without permission from the owners. The House republicans want to do the same with federal land (including national parks!) so that private companies can drill for oil, gas and/or build luxury homes. That sort of greed is behind this whole *small government* BS. Senators and Congressmen serve shareholders, not citizens.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#99627 Jul 12, 2014
current crisis wrote:
<quoted text>That's privatization for you! The Indiana Tollroad is privately owned now (a foreign company) and the State Police cannot close it in inclement weather without permission from the owners. The House republicans want to do the same with federal land (including national parks!) so that private companies can drill for oil, gas and/or build luxury homes. That sort of greed is behind this whole *small government* BS. Senators and Congressmen serve shareholders, not citizens.
I agree with your synopsis....but, might add that Bush/Cheney already beat them to the punch, on our citizen's BLM lands, which they already turned over to Big Oil for fracking........and now Colorado and Oklahoma with record numbers of recordable, yet small earthquakes....Wonder why?.......

Location hidden

#99628 Jul 12, 2014
<quoted text>

As for the Go Blue group, I welcome conversation from all sides as I personally belong to the Go Transparent group. ;)
Lastly, I suppose I should fully disclose I am originally from the north suburbs, moved to the city after high school, relocated to the sw burbs on a romantic whim, left the burbs for Springfield due to the whim coming to an end and ended up back in the sw burbs
I'm not a group, just a whirlwind...lol....Do you like Midlothian?....I grew up in Park Forest and it was heaven, but it has slowly turned out badly....due to the Feds social engineering, mostly.....

“2nd Time Trying Topix Account”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#99629 Jul 12, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Go Blue is someone who posts on the Regs thread. He pops up fairly regularly. He is an ex-pat from the south suburbs now living in FL and is retired-- or close to it- as I recall.
I am an ETHS alum for the "lighthouse in a sea of educational darkness " era, lived in the city for a number of years and moved back to the north suburbs when I got married. I still have not wrapped my head around whether ETHS is THE high school or if NT is
LOL! My bad! People in my community (and especially on our local Topix forum) will reference Team Blue or Team Red as it relates to the political parties there. Therefore, I thought you were suggesting there were individuals who support Team Blue hanging out here...hence my Go Transparent reference.:)

As for the high school competition, should I tweak your nose and mention NNHS was rumored to rank in the Top 5 schools in the nation back when I attended?(198_) Of course, NT ranked #1, but I don't recall ETHS making the list...:) Of course, if we're talking sports and especially football, ETHS was always a real threat, even to those attending the high school to the north of ETHS, such as Maine North, East and West as well as Lake Forest and Libertyville. It was always a happy day at my school whenever we defeated an ETHS team. ;) Go NN!

Checked out the Meet Up site last night and found a few events that perked my interest. Thanks again for the lead!

Location hidden

#99630 Jul 12, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with your synopsis....but, might add that Bush/Cheney already beat them to the punch, on our citizen's BLM lands, which they already turned over to Big Oil for fracking........and now Colorado and Oklahoma with record numbers of recordable, yet small earthquakes....Wonder why?.......
I agree with both of you to a certain degree, but what of the fact that a Democrat was in office when the parking contract was signed for Chicago?

It seems to me that both parties have had limited or no conflict with the idea of selling public lands to the private sector, which is not a novel idea (one glance at our nations growth in the 1800's show such leanings...can we say Railroad Barons?).

So while I may remain fairly open to all sides with the environment debate, I have always held concerns over foreign companies owning public property in our nation. As the initial commenter pointed out, getting a prompt response from authority figures thousands of miles away is ludicrous!

As a quick example, the power was wiped out in multiple municipalities a few weeks ago from the derecho that passed through Illinois. Also, in the last round of headlines I absorbed, less than 24 hours ago one of the nuclear plants in Japan was once again put at risk due to an earthquake.

Not to minimize the challenges the Japanese are facing with such potentials (the 2011 incident was horrific), why should any of our public lands/facilities be placed at further risk of danger simply because either or both sides have no way to communicate let alone an inability to travel to a site? As was mentioned, I believe our ability to travel towards or away from a disaster area on a public road should not be influenced by individuals who do not hold the same ideals and principles our nation stands for. There should always be option and ability for someone with boots on the ground to make an executive decision and it sounds like this option isn't available with the Indiana Tollway, right?

Sure there will always be those in other nations who not only celebrate our disasters and loss of lives, but it is those frequently unidentified people who view these opportunities as chances to reduce our strength as a nation in favor of their own political ideals and aspirations that add additional weight to the argument against the selling of public lands/facilities to foreign entities.

I want to say there is a law somewhere that makes it illegal for foreign entities to own/manage public property, but I can't remember where I read the information, let alone whether or not it was accurate. Perhaps someone will know more about what I am referencing?

Location hidden

#99631 Jul 12, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not a group, just a whirlwind...lol....Do you like Midlothian?....I grew up in Park Forest and it was heaven, but it has slowly turned out badly....due to the Feds social engineering, mostly.....
<groan> My apologies for the misunderstanding. As I mentioned in another post, I thought we were talking political groups in the sw 'burbs...which...hello Go Blue Forever. Nice to meet you!:)

As for a "like" or "dislike" vote regarding Midlothian, I currently carry a thick bag of mixed emotions. In many ways, the local government can make it quite convenient to dislike the village and being a subsidiary of Illinois makes it even easier to dislike the local circumstances. Of course, there are also the private citizens that can discolor the perception of the village with a few keystrokes, which adds to the dislike side.

However I also carry many, many, many memories of good times with good people (including local government in some cases) and while not all of these memories are absent of fights and squabbles (never expected a Utopia), these memories allow me to sustain affection for Midlothian as a community.

You lost me a little on the Fed engineering. I know that they were instrumental in overturning real estate laws from the early 1900's that allowed for covenants to be included in property deeds that would list categories of people a property owner was not allowed to sell to or perhaps it is the Section 8 direction you are referencing? I am also aware you are not alone in holding the Feds accountable for the various migrations that have transpired over the past 50 years or so. As quick example, I read an article somewhere that suggested Cicero still has yet to "forgive" the government for the Section 8 legislation and I have no reason to doubt such an impression.

Lastly, I hear you are a Floridian now...? Can we make some sort of arrangement to where you send us a steady flow of warm air during our winter months please? Apparently the hot air we all were expelling up here (myself definitely included! <grin>) wasn't enough to keep the thermometer above zero this past winter...but I swear I tried!:)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99632 Jul 12, 2014
Interesting take on shootings vs homicides in Chicago

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/07/1...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99633 Jul 12, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL! My bad! People in my community (and especially on our local Topix forum) will reference Team Blue or Team Red as it relates to the political parties there. Therefore, I thought you were suggesting there were individuals who support Team Blue hanging out here...hence my Go Transparent reference.:)
As for the high school competition, should I tweak your nose and mention NNHS was rumored to rank in the Top 5 schools in the nation back when I attended?(198_) Of course, NT ranked #1, but I don't recall ETHS making the list...:) Of course, if we're talking sports and especially football, ETHS was always a real threat, even to those attending the high school to the north of ETHS, such as Maine North, East and West as well as Lake Forest and Libertyville. It was always a happy day at my school whenever we defeated an ETHS team. ;) Go NN!
Checked out the Meet Up site last night and found a few events that perked my interest. Thanks again for the lead!
I pre-date you by 15-20 years.

Things changed a lot in that time frame.

Location hidden

#99634 Jul 12, 2014
<quoted text>
<groan> My apologies for the misunderstanding. As I mentioned in another post, I thought we were talking political groups in the sw 'burbs...which...hello Go Blue Forever. Nice to meet you!:)
As for a "like" or "dislike" vote regarding Midlothian, I currently carry a thick bag of mixed emotions. In many ways, the local government can make it quite convenient to dislike the village and being a subsidiary of Illinois makes it even easier to dislike the local circumstances. Of course, there are also the private citizens that can discolor the perception of the village with a few keystrokes, which adds to the dislike side.
However I also carry many, many, many memories of good times with good people (including local government in some cases) and while not all of these memories are absent of fights and squabbles (never expected a Utopia), these memories allow me to sustain affection for Midlothian as a community.
You lost me a little on the Fed engineering. I know that they were instrumental in overturning real estate laws from the early 1900's that allowed for covenants to be included in property deeds that would list categories of people a property owner was not allowed to sell to or perhaps it is the Section 8 direction you are referencing? I am also aware you are not alone in holding the Feds accountable for the various migrations that have transpired over the past 50 years or so. As quick example, I read an article somewhere that suggested Cicero still has yet to "forgive" the government for the Section 8 legislation and I have no reason to doubt such an impression.
Lastly, I hear you are a Floridian now...? Can we make some sort of arrangement to where you send us a steady flow of warm air during our winter months please? Apparently the hot air we all were expelling up here (myself definitely included! <grin>) wasn't enough to keep the thermometer above zero this past winter...but I swear I tried!:)
Many years ago, after the roughest of the Public Housing, places like Cabrini Green got so bad....Feds and whomever(parties aside) decided it would be better to stop building the housing and just integrate the suburbs, with Section 8 and whatever means....Cicero is likely dead on and the end result was adding crime and a ghetto mentality into once pristine suburbs....It's a formula for several large metropolitan areas, including Florida.....I'm an odd sort, for a democrat....but labels, i find stupid......Thus Park Forest went to hell....a winner of several big awards, post-WW II for community design......Social Engineering like that is evident in many ways......I study real estate closely and think, this year is a great time to buy, up north....Too many won't stay, with severe winters, so there are great deals, up there.....If i was younger, maybe.....Kalamazoo area again...lol...As far as warm breezes...today's 94 and epic humidity is what i'd send, and you would'nt like it....One thing is, i still miss Autumn, up there....

Location hidden

#99635 Jul 12, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Go Blue is someone who posts on the Regs thread. He pops up fairly regularly. He is an ex-pat from the south suburbs now living in FL and is retired-- or close to it- as I recall.
I am an ETHS alum for the "lighthouse in a sea of educational darkness " era, lived in the city for a number of years and moved back to the north suburbs when I got married. I still have not wrapped my head around whether ETHS is THE high school or if NT is
I'm sorry about the educational darkness, you speak of.... You know one great thing you and the ILL Public schools have to be given credit.....I graduated Rich East H.S. in 1970, immediately went to college in Florida....and it was easy...barely took a book home, and the FL kids were hurting....."Gee, this is hard".....lol....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#99636 Jul 12, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with your synopsis....but, might add that Bush/Cheney already beat them to the punch, on our citizen's BLM lands, which they already turned over to Big Oil for fracking........and now Colorado and Oklahoma with record numbers of recordable, yet small earthquakes....Wonder why?.......
Bwahaha

Now fracking is causing earthquakes and we have Bush to thank

Wow, the thinking of you people is just.... Wow

“Your life is what you make it.”

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#99637 Jul 12, 2014
Hey Chicago, been awhile since I've been here. Just thought I'd pop in and say, I hope everyone is well. Football season is fast approaching.. GO BEARS.

Location hidden

#99638 Jul 12, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I pre-date you by 15-20 years.
Things changed a lot in that time frame.
Wow! I don't know if you noticed the voting on this simple 16 word response from you, but somehow your comment is mean and racy...but then again apparently our entire spurt of conversation has been voted as mean and racy, including Go Blue Forever's comments! Even your link to the video regarding shootings and homicides was marked as spam. <sigh>

Gotta love the collection of Topix SEO "experts" trying to feed our screen names into one of the 18 trackers Topix deploys on its site so that elements of our online existence can then classified as blacklist worthy materials. Funny thing is that I am fairly confident I have made it onto so many aggregated blacklists, another few additions won't make a difference.

In the meantime, may I say...how dare you claim to be older than me! That's cruel and unreasonable! Maybe I should sue you for saying such mean things in such a public forum?:)

I agree that a lot has changed over the decades, even before you attended high school. ETHS was certainly faced with violence challenges when I was in high school, although I don't know the climate nowadays.

Tempting as it would be for me to suggest even one reason for the changes, I suspect we both could agree these changes are driven by a multiplex of issues gathering together in a unique manner for each individual?

Of course it doesn't stop us from hoping things will get better...

Location hidden

#99639 Jul 12, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Many years ago, after the roughest of the Public Housing, places like Cabrini Green got so bad....Feds and whomever (parties aside) decided it would be better to stop building the housing and just integrate the suburbs with Section 8. I study real estate closely and think, this year is a great time to buy, up north...As far as warm breezes...today's 94 and epic humidity is what I'd send, and you wouldn't like it...One thing is, I still miss Autumn up there...
Hey Go Blue! Saw you down in Texas yesterday.:)

Thanks for articulating your concern. As a kid growing up in the north suburbs, word on the street regarding Cabrini Green was not kind, but in some ways the comments were apropos. Violence and gangs were certainly active in the area and if something hit the headlines, people would just shake their heads and then move on.

So when I joined up with CAPS back in the mid 1990's, many discussions were held regarding what to do about the crime around Morse Ave. Shootings around the high school, GD's holding onto a small island surrounded by LK's, muggings of seniors around the station all were events we were determined to forestall (I don't think such acts can ever be brought to a formal "end").

However, one element of conversation that stands out for me still to this day was our discussing the shifting of crime out of our neighborhood and where the crime would travel to. Evanston being right on the border of the 24th district was certainly one direction for migration, but we also didn't have cell phones to contend with either. They existed, but they were the huge, clunky and expensive versions and for the few, not the many.

I would propose to you that a significant proportion of those who chose to move to the suburbs to benefit from the Section 8 housing held similar motives to those who left Chicago back in the late 1800's and early 1900's, which was to get away from the crime and poverty running rampant in the city. I believe the idea that Section 8 beneficiaries all carry/carried nothing but criminal thoughts doesn't entirely fit and that statistics frequently reflect peer pressure on our youth being a contributing factor to the number of crimes unraveling on the rosters of the suburbs...and the city for that matter. Would you consider the idea that some, if not many parents on Section 8 were harboring hopes for a better life when they moved to the suburbs?

Also, I confess I am not very familiar with Park Forest, but I feel compelled to add the fact that many of the Chicago suburbs were enduring major levels of crime and criminal activities over the decades long before elements of social engineering gained such a tight grip on the minds of strategists of varying types. Certainly Capone is an easy reference (he would have never lived in Section 8 housing!), but not every criminal act is driven by an organization or a gang and some murderers and dealers and such live in mansions and on yachts. I toss this in not to minimize or trivialize your point, but rather to expand our scope of contemplation as to what actually is contributing to such great conflicts and destruction across the board.

You say you are into real estate trends and conditions. Was there something in particular that attracted you to the topic or was it one of those things that just snuck up on you until you realized you loved the industry? Just curious.

Lastly, feel free to keep your humid weather for the time being (severe storms again tonight and my village already flooded pretty bad last night/early this morning from storms last night...Mudlothian is an old nickname, however Floodlothian has been gaining traction over the past few years), but perhaps we can discuss this matter as the wintertime gets closer. ;) 94 and humid would be a blessing when its 26 below... <grin> I'll even renew my street performers permit to help raise funds if it will help persuade you to help us stay warm.:)

Location hidden

#99640 Jul 13, 2014
Al Capone's organized crime and today's street crime are entirely different matters.....what this eco-social change in Chicago accomplished was ruining the once great suburbs annnnnnnnnd....Not decreasing the inner city crime at all.....that is a lose-lose, in my eyes.....and with your and my tax dollars, no less........As for real estate, it might be the solice of a too old of a guy, living in too big of a house....lol.....Look's like you all are gonna get a cool spell...Wish it was us....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99641 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Wow! I don't know if you noticed the voting on this simple 16 word response from you, but somehow your comment is mean and racy...but then again apparently our entire spurt of conversation has been voted as mean and racy, including Go Blue Forever's comments! Even your link to the video regarding shootings and homicides was marked as spam. <sigh>
Gotta love the collection of Topix SEO "experts" trying to feed our screen names into one of the 18 trackers Topix deploys on its site so that elements of our online existence can then classified as blacklist worthy materials. Funny thing is that I am fairly confident I have made it onto so many aggregated blacklists, another few additions won't make a difference.
In the meantime, may I say...how dare you claim to be older than me! That's cruel and unreasonable! Maybe I should sue you for saying such mean things in such a public forum?:)
I agree that a lot has changed over the decades, even before you attended high school. ETHS was certainly faced with violence challenges when I was in high school, although I don't know the climate nowadays.
Tempting as it would be for me to suggest even one reason for the changes, I suspect we both could agree these changes are driven by a multiplex of issues gathering together in a unique manner for each individual?
Of course it doesn't stop us from hoping things will get better...
We have a resident judging icon toll with a limited repetoire.

There was a demarcation of school violence at ETHS in 1968. The state basketball semi-finals(?) were held there and school rivalries erupted into a brawl.

Evanston had been integrated for a long time and was pretty calm. Chicago started school busing in 1965 and some of that antagonism and machismo spilled over into the 'burbs.

There was the economic discrepancy between the north Evanston kids who were rich and clique-y and the rest of the district but once you got away from the Central St corridor there was an easy blend and mix.. Coming from NN you will appreciate the fact that a subdivision near Golf and McC in north Evanston was still "restricted."

Today it is the lower economic group that seems to be more insular and the rest of the town more easy going. The area around the high school itself has had a lot of shootings. When I was there the worst thing that happened was that one of the big football players got caught with a 6 pack of beer in the back of his mom' car and was in danger of losing his scholarship. Heaven's!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99642 Jul 13, 2014
Sunshine butterflies and lollipops

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99643 Jul 13, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99645 Jul 14, 2014

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99646 Jul 14, 2014
rehash just for dog.

Got evite to cousin's daughter's 3rd birthday party. Have not rsvp'd yet. Glad I didn't. Nothing against this cousin, but I don't hang out with him. Rarely see him. Us not being there is not a big deal to either of us.

Today, got invitation to my younger son's best friend's birthday party. Same day. Same time. By not committing the minute I got the cousin invite, boom, I still can gracefully decline.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min FYVM 1,394,931
last post wins! (Apr '13) 22 min Red_Forman 1,110
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 26 min SweLL GirL 8,867
last post wins! (Dec '10) 34 min Red_Forman 2,136
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 35 min Red_Forman 2,686
Word (Dec '08) 36 min Red_Forman 6,407
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 55 min Ize Found 70,721
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 216,665
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages