Topix Chitown Regulars

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#99515 Jul 1, 2014
Ever hear of a percolator? Makes the best damn coffee in the world.
You will throw that drip thingy is the trash.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/farberware... |-|YE14AvJk&gclid=CJ3Foaau pL8CFQMT7AodtnoA_g
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Boiled water on the stove (which I had to light by hand) and poured that into the filter thing. Not the greatest and it doesn't stay warm, but better than nothing.
And this is only like the second or third time I've lost power since I've been there, and last time it was only for like ten minutes. I just don't need one. Besides, my neighbor has one,(made enough noise getting that thing going at two in the dam morning) I'll just plug into his next time

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#99516 Jul 1, 2014
RACE wrote:
Ever hear of a percolator? Makes the best damn coffee in the world.
You will throw that drip thingy is the trash.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/farberware... |-|YE14AvJk&gclid=CJ3Foaau pL8CFQMT7AodtnoA_g
<quoted text>
Don't you still have to plug it in? What good is that gonna do me with the power out?

#99517 Jul 1, 2014
No sonny, this is like one from ancient times, you put it on the stove (or fireplace/campfire)
You dont plug it in, it gets hot from fire.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you still have to plug it in? What good is that gonna do me with the power out?

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#99518 Jul 1, 2014
RACE wrote:
No sonny, this is like one from ancient times, you put it on the stove (or fireplace/campfire)
You dont plug it in, it gets hot from fire.
<quoted text>
Might get that for the festival this month. I needs my coffee. Thanks

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99519 Jul 1, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
Thanks, PE, make it through the storms ok?Didn't have power this morning, had to make coffee ghetto style. And half of one of my big trees was lying in the front yard, but at least it missed the house
I though that might be the case.(If it is not an ash or an elm, cut it up and sell/use it for firewood)

I slept through the 2nd round of storms. I have been taking a bunch of in-line courses which had to be completed by June 30. I pushed the Certify button about 5 minutes before the first storm hit, had dinner and zonked out after that. I lost the top of one tomato plant which snapped off and that's all.

Ghetto style,hmm?Race's suggestion is fine, but you probably have to go to a camping store to find one. My percolator from 1969 is a Corning Ware electric and I don't recall seeing a non-electric one in the houseware stores.

However, if you were hoity toity about yourr coffee you would know/remember the Chemex carafe, the french press or teh cold water brew method.

My grandmother had a Chemex. It is a glass thing that looks like a large hourglass with an open top. It needs a filter but I have used a paper towel in a pinch . My ex- got ours and I never replaced it.

A french press is on my birthday wish list though

You can google about the cold water brew method. It supposedly gives a strong brew without the harshness. I haven't tried it yet.

#99520 Jul 1, 2014
Not really hard to find at all.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product...

http://www.jcpenney.com/clearance/50-70%25-of...
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I though that might be the case.(If it is not an ash or an elm, cut it up and sell/use it for firewood)
I slept through the 2nd round of storms. I have been taking a bunch of in-line courses which had to be completed by June 30. I pushed the Certify button about 5 minutes before the first storm hit, had dinner and zonked out after that. I lost the top of one tomato plant which snapped off and that's all.
Ghetto style,hmm?Race's suggestion is fine, but you probably have to go to a camping store to find one. My percolator from 1969 is a Corning Ware electric and I don't recall seeing a non-electric one in the houseware stores.
However, if you were hoity toity about yourr coffee you would know/remember the Chemex carafe, the french press or teh cold water brew method.
My grandmother had a Chemex. It is a glass thing that looks like a large hourglass with an open top. It needs a filter but I have used a paper towel in a pinch . My ex- got ours and I never replaced it.
A french press is on my birthday wish list though
You can google about the cold water brew method. It supposedly gives a strong brew without the harshness. I haven't tried it yet.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99521 Jul 1, 2014
RACE wrote:
I must live in the wrong BBY neighborhood.
FWIW,$25-35 for an 8 cup coffee pot sounds pricey.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99522 Jul 1, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I must live in the wrong BBY neighborhood.
FWIW,$25-35 for an 8 cup coffee pot sounds pricey.
Pricey compared to what? You mentioned camping. Outdoor World has a 12 cup.....for $45

#99523 Jul 1, 2014
Ha- off until Monday! Have fun slaving for the Man, I will be beers and cigars.

Have a good 4th!

You can do a lot in a lifetime
If you dont burn out too fast.
You can make the most of the distance...
First you need endurance
First you've got to last!!!

RUSH

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99524 Jul 1, 2014
Some die just to live

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99525 Jul 1, 2014
Why liberals should cheer the Hobby Lobby decision

http://theweek.com/article/index/264029/why-l...

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99526 Jul 2, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99527 Jul 2, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Why liberals should cheer the Hobby Lobby decision
http://theweek.com/article/index/264029/why-l...
The people who are all upset over this don't even understand what the case is about. Hobby Lobby offers its employees contraceptives. The issue was certain TYPES of contraceptives they're insurance policy required them to purchase. Hey, as an owner of a corporation, I should have freedom of choice, too

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#99528 Jul 3, 2014

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#99529 Jul 3, 2014
Hi!
I've been super busy at work but our office is closed today so I'm enjoying a long weekend before it gets crazy again.

Anyone have fun plans for the 4th?

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#99530 Jul 3, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The people who are all upset over this don't even understand what the case is about. Hobby Lobby offers its employees contraceptives. The issue was certain TYPES of contraceptives they're insurance policy required them to purchase. Hey, as an owner of a corporation, I should have freedom of choice, too
You do..as an individual. Christians just have to control everyone's life..as do a lot of liberals. This bc view is ridiculous. You don't hear them screaming about capitol punishment, doesn't that cause death too?

Go to starbucks and buy a box of their individual instant coffee packets. All you need is hot water and it's pretty good coffee. Better then the old instants.

“reign in blood”

United States

#99531 Jul 3, 2014
greenwichvillage wrote:
Christians just have to control everyone's life..
That's not true and unfair. Christians oppose abortion, therefore, they will not support policies about it. Makes sense, right? Would YOU support something you're against? Liberals try to turn this around and say Christians are against women and want to control their ovaries. None of that is true.

You're right about the liberals though. Everyone must think like them, everyone must share their same views, and they will even pass laws to ensure it

Thanks for the coffee ideas

“reign in blood”

United States

#99532 Jul 3, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Hi!
Anyone have fun plans for the 4th?
Yardwork! Still got a shtload of tiny branches in the yard. Grass needs mowing too, but all the debris smooshed the grass down so it doesn't look as bad. If the rain holds off, I'll start burning some of that wood this weekend

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99534 Jul 4, 2014

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#99535 Jul 4, 2014
Happy Independence Day!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinchack/america-f u c k-yeah?bffb

Take out the spaces from the bad word

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RoxLo 1,346,768
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 33 min Mothra 57,267
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 37 min Jacques Ottawa 207,522
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 49 min Doug77 7,298
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Red_Forman 608
last post wins! (Dec '10) 2 hr Red_Forman 1,581
Word (Dec '08) 4 hr Red_Forman 5,642
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages