River running like an open sore
Black wind falling to the ocean floor
And the red tide washes ashore

RUSH

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99497 Jun 30, 2014
My Samsung S3 is coming out of the 2 year contract. I'm not real happy with the phone. The battery runs down fast. There is a ton of stuff loaded by Verizon and Samsung that I don't use which I assume runs in the background.

I read stuff about Android/Google. that I don't understand and don't use.

I remember Tonka saying he had bought phones for next to nothing for him and his wife. Where do I shop for something like that?

Input on brands and features will be appreciated

Any suggestions? I am not averse to an Apple but I don't want to spend $350 and get locked into a contract again if possible

These are teh features I use
1.phone
2.voicemail
3.texting but not instant messaging )I'm not sure I know teh difference)
4Internet occasionally.
5.email
6 Some apps like Inkpad,weather channel, yelp, a bar scan app, Pandora and TuneIn radio and a couple store apps
7The camera both still and motion

8. Not Kindle. I don't stream TV or movies.
9 My print magazines have apps that I access occasionally.

How does security and antivirus work on a phone? I have Lookout to find it if need be but I don't keep the GPS or other locator on both for power and privacy reasons

They just pushed KitKat and now I am stuck with the ISIS wallet (unfortunate name in light of Iraqi insurgent group, btw)

I won't do any financial stuff on the phone, even checking accounts ,because I don't understand the security programs in place. Plastic and the home computer do just fine.

So- input, suggestions, information, reliable resources for teh technologically impaired would be appreciated

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99498 Jun 30, 2014
PEllen wrote:
My Samsung S3 is coming out of the 2 year contract. I'm not real happy with the phone. The battery runs down fast. There is a0 ton of stuff loaded by Verizon and Samsung that I don't use which I assume runs in the background.
I read stuff about Android/Google. that I don't understand and don't use.
I remember Tonka saying he had bought phones for next to nothing for him and his wife. Where do I shop for something like that?
Input on brands and features will be appreciated
Any suggestions? I am not averse to an Apple but I don't want to spend $350 and get locked into a contract again if possible
These are teh features I use
1.phone
2.voicemail
3.texting but not instant messaging )I'm not sure I know teh difference)
4Internet occasionally.
5.email
6 Some apps like Inkpad,weather channel, yelp, a bar scan app, Pandora and TuneIn radio and a couple store apps
7The camera both still and motion
8. Not Kindle. I don't stream TV or movies.
9 My print magazines have apps that I access occasionally.
How does security and antivirus work on a phone? I have Lookout to find it if need be but I don't keep the GPS or other locator on both for power and privacy reasons
They just pushed KitKat and now I am stuck with the ISIS wallet (unfortunate name in light of Iraqi insurgent group, btw)
I won't do any financial stuff on the phone, even checking accounts ,because I don't understand the security programs in place. Plastic and the home computer do just fine.
So- input, suggestions, information, reliable resources for teh technologically impaired would be appreciated
You will almost never find the latest model for next to nothing. But you will sometimes find last year's model.

My renewal date is coming soon so I have been watching the prices at best buy. They have a deal running all year that will give you a $50 gift card for renewing thru them, and it IS applicable toward the purchase of the new phone.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 typically goes for $99, but frequently goes on sale for $49. 2 weeks ago it was $1.

This week, the HTC One(last year's model, the M7) is $1.

The prices I listed are for ATT cause that's what I look at, but the deals vary by carrier.

I intend to get our new phones for $1 each again, and pocket $98 in gift cards.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#99499 Jun 30, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> You will almost never find the latest model for next to nothing. But you will sometimes find last year's model.
My renewal date is coming soon so I have been watching the prices at best buy. They have a deal running all year that will give you a $50 gift card for renewing thru them, and it IS applicable toward the purchase of the new phone.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 typically goes for $99, but frequently goes on sale for $49. 2 weeks ago it was $1.
The prices I listed are for ATT cause that's what I look at, but the deals vary by carrier.
THe HTC One sounds like a great deal. I'd love one of those. But I still refuse to sign a 2 year contract so, alas, those deals aren't for me!:-(

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99500 Jun 30, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> You will almost never find the latest model for next to nothing. But you will sometimes find last year's model.
Best Buy? Any other places to look?

I got the S3 there 2 years ago and they did a crappy job on set up. It took me 3 visits to Verizon stores to get the number ported correctly and the guys there couldn't answer questions or show me how stuff worked

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99501 Jun 30, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
THe HTC One sounds like a great deal. I'd love one of those. But I still refuse to sign a 2 year contract so, alas, those deals aren't for me!:-(
The way I see it, I've been with the same company for over 10 years. Like the plan I'm on. Have no intention of switching, so not renewing woukd be like turning down a next to free phone. I'm alreafy gonna be with them, might as well take advantage of the perk

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99502 Jun 30, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I got the S3 there 2 years ago and they did a crappy job on set up. It took me 3 visits to Verizon stores to get the number ported correctly and the guys there couldn't answer questions or show me how stuff worked
I'm sure deals can be had elsewhere, maybe even better deals, but I have not scoured the web. The BB deal is good enough for me. Just gotta wait til I'm eligible and the phone is on sale for $1. Tough to beat getting paid $98 to get 2 new phones, so I'm not really lookin elsewhere

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99503 Jun 30, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
While I don't know all the details of your experience with Best Buy, you say you had to go to Verizon 3 times. Sounds to me like Verizon did not bring their A-game either.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#99504 Jun 30, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>The way I see it, I've been with the same company for over 10 years. Like the plan I'm on. Have no intention of switching, so not renewing woukd be like turning down a next to free phone. I'm alreafy gonna be with them, might as well take advantage of the perk
I would do the same if I found a reasonable plan I liked. After getting burned by Sprint (no service in my house or even OUTSIDE my house and stuck in a contract), I am hesitant to lock myself in again. I have Tracfone, but might splurge for T-Mobile. But even that's like $50 a month or something. My Tracfone sosts me barely $20. But I don't use all the data stuff. I mostly text and take pics.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99505 Jun 30, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> While I don't know all the details of your experience with Best Buy, you say you had to go to Verizon 3 times. Sounds to me like Verizon did not bring their A-game either.
That's another story. I switched from ATT to Verizon because I had truly awful cell phone reception in th downtown area where I work. Consumer Reports had done a comparison for the Chicago area and Verizon was far and away better for quality of coverage and area it covered. It was the first time I had to pay for my own data so I didn't have a price comparison. I don't have a family plan on my phone because I use it for business and personal

Right now I have 1GB data unlimited talk, text and long distance for 90/month. ATT can beat that by $10-15/month. Stina's numbers have my attention

I am shopping carriers and phones.

Next stop CNET and Consumer Reports. Any other reliable sources, anyone?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99506 Jun 30, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That's another story. I switched from ATT to Verizon because I had truly awful cell phone reception in th downtown area where I work. Consumer Reports had done a comparison for the Chicago area and Verizon was far and away better for quality of coverage anud area it covered. It was the first time I had to pay for my own data so I didn't have a price comparison. I don't have a family plan on my phone because I use it for business and personal
Right now I have 1GB data unlimited talk, text and long distance for 90/month. ATT can beat that by $10-15/month. Stina's numbers have my attention
phonedog.com

Wirefly.com i think is one place i got a god deal from several renewals ago

Saint Petersburg, FL

#99507 Jun 30, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That's another story. I switched from ATT to Verizon because I had truly awful cell phone reception in th downtown area where I work. Consumer Reports had done a comparison for the Chicago area and Verizon was far and away better for quality of coverage and area it covered. It was the first time I had to pay for my own data so I didn't have a price comparison. I don't have a family plan on my phone because I use it for business and personal
The problem is it's pay as you go. I just don't use it a whole lot. I rarely use my data. I occassionally use phone and mostly use text. My phone is somewhat smart, but definitely behind. I can go on-line and get apps and such. It's only a 3G. I don't know if Tracfone has 4G yet or not. For most people, they wouldn't like it. For me, it's pretty good. Sometimes I go a few months without buying time, but recently I've bought more because my mom was in the hospital and I had to keep all my brothers and my cousin in the loop, so I was texting a lot. I get pretty good signal (except at work, but no one, even 4G people, gets a good signal in my building), even when I travel. I've gotten signals in NY, the midwest, CA. Not too bad. And cheap!:-D

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99508 Jun 30, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is it's pay as you go. I just don't use it a whole lot. I rarely use my data. I occassionally use phone and mostly use text. My phone is somewhat smart, but definitely behind. I can go on-line and get apps and such. It's only a 3G. I don't know if Tracfone has 4G yet or not. For most people, they wouldn't like it. For me, it's pretty good. Sometimes I go a few months without buying time, but recently I've bought more because my mom was in the hospital and I had to keep all my brothers and my cousin in the loop, so I was texting a lot. I get pretty good signal (except at work, but no one, even 4G people, gets a good signal in my building), even when I travel. I've gotten signals in NY, the midwest, CA. Not too bad. And cheap!:-D
Thanks for the feedback.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99509 Jun 30, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> phonedog.com
Wirefly.com i think is one place i got a god deal from several renewals ago
Got it. Thanks.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99510 Jul 1, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#99511 Jul 1, 2014

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#99512 Jul 1, 2014
Thanks, PE, make it through the storms ok?Didn't have power this morning, had to make coffee ghetto style. And half of one of my big trees was lying in the front yard, but at least it missed the house

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#99513 Jul 1, 2014
What is ghetto style?
Why don't you have a generator?
edogxxx wrote:
Thanks, PE, make it through the storms ok?Didn't have power this morning, had to make coffee ghetto style. And half of one of my big trees was lying in the front yard, but at least it missed the house

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#99514 Jul 1, 2014
RACE wrote:
What is ghetto style?
Why don't you have a generator?
<quoted text>
Boiled water on the stove (which I had to light by hand) and poured that into the filter thing. Not the greatest and it doesn't stay warm, but better than nothing.

And this is only like the second or third time I've lost power since I've been there, and last time it was only for like ten minutes. I just don't need one. Besides, my neighbor has one,(made enough noise getting that thing going at two in the dam morning) I'll just plug into his next time

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#99515 Jul 1, 2014
Ever hear of a percolator? Makes the best damn coffee in the world.
You will throw that drip thingy is the trash.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/farberware... |-|YE14AvJk&gclid=CJ3Foaau pL8CFQMT7AodtnoA_g
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Boiled water on the stove (which I had to light by hand) and poured that into the filter thing. Not the greatest and it doesn't stay warm, but better than nothing.
And this is only like the second or third time I've lost power since I've been there, and last time it was only for like ten minutes. I just don't need one. Besides, my neighbor has one,(made enough noise getting that thing going at two in the dam morning) I'll just plug into his next time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Justice Dale 1,659,481
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 32 min loose cannon 243,102
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 53 min 2twisted 11,598
News A Big Fish in a little marina (Jan '09) 12 hr Kasmier 19
News Rauner courts black votes with $1M investment (Oct '14) 16 hr RUN OUTA ILLINOIS 14
US Media Humiliated, all in 1 day. 16 hr US Media is Malig... 10
Steal from Poor to pay the Rich 16 hr I Must B Paid 13

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages