Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99135 Jun 5, 2014
I have to replace a ground level basement window which sits about 6" above ground level and is not in a well. Anyone have any input on vinyl, vinyl clad, aluminum clad? The estimators and sales people have been all over the place on this and there is a significant price difference.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#99136 Jun 5, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> While true, it does not support his claim that there is no such thing as reverse racism. If you get up there and direct your hate to any other race,because of their race, you are, by definition, being racist. History has no bearing on that.
I understand that. Do you think perhaps someone needs to tell him his joke should be that white people can't be truly oppressed to the level that black people have been?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99137 Jun 5, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that. Do you think perhaps someone needs to tell him his joke should be that white people can't be truly oppressed to the level that black people have been?
Racism and oppression are not interchangeable terms.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#99138 Jun 5, 2014
Cant you just replace the pane? Why the whole window.
In NY the basement windows opened inwards on a cantilever, Was an easy thing to just remove the entire pane (metal framed), replace the glass and pop back in.

In FL there is no such animal as "basement"
PEllen wrote:
I have to replace a ground level basement window which sits about 6" above ground level and is not in a well. Anyone have any input on vinyl, vinyl clad, aluminum clad? The estimators and sales people have been all over the place on this and there is a significant price difference.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99139 Jun 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
Cant you just replace the pane? Why the whole window.
In NY the basement windows opened inwards on a cantilever, Was an easy thing to just remove the entire pane (metal framed), replace the glass and pop back in.
In FL there is no such animal as "basement"
<quoted text>
The glass is fine. the wood frame rotted

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#99140 Jun 5, 2014
Hi all!

I needed a laugh today http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5433815...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#99142 Jun 5, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Racism and oppression are not interchangeable terms.
Did I say they were?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#99143 Jun 5, 2014
Tonka --

I understand and agree with how that comedian feels given the racist oppression that has happened to black people. I feel it wasn't just oppression, but a racist oppression.

I do not feel the words "racist" and "oppression" are interchangeable but they have been related and used in tandem.

I am putting more than a flat view on this -- going deeper more into the feelings of a race of people. It would be near impossible to erase their feelings of oppression.

#99144 Jun 5, 2014
In this context I thought you did.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say they were?

#99145 Jun 5, 2014
So, in your view, we can never erase the black feelings of oppression. So? What to do?
Why even bother trying, if we all know it's going to fail, and they will cling to this discord?
Toj wrote:
Tonka --
I understand and agree with how that comedian feels given the racist oppression that has happened to black people. I feel it wasn't just oppression, but a racist oppression.
I do not feel the words "racist" and "oppression" are interchangeable but they have been related and used in tandem.
I am putting more than a flat view on this -- going deeper more into the feelings of a race of people. It would be near impossible to erase their feelings of oppression.

#99146 Jun 5, 2014
Ha! This guy thinks he can tell the cops what to do.

This is why peeps on bikes should not be allowed on the road.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-06-02/n...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#99147 Jun 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
Not to mention...Jailed Dancer removes clothes and masturbates in jail cell.....not your everyday story....lol....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#99150 Jun 5, 2014
A Bitter Pill wrote:
Just popping in to say hello to all my friends in Chi town!
Does anyone remember the Chicago's American newspaper. I used to be a paper boy, back in the day :-)
Did'nt they shut down 1969ish? I seem to remember an outrage over a frontpage photo, when Jayne Mansfield was killed in a auto accident.....

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#99152 Jun 5, 2014
Today we installed a new executive board for our PTO. The outgoing VP made a speech and mentioned that she was a little apprehensive when she first joined the PTO because she "look[s] different from most people in the room" and was pleasantly surprised at how welcoming and inclusive the school community was.

Most of us sat there for a few moments trying to figure out what she was talking about. It dawned on us that she was talking about being African-American in a group of mostly Caucasians and Asian Indians. It never occurred to any of us to treat her differently because of her skin color, but we can't possibly relate to walking through life and always wondering if people are judging you based on your skin color.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99153 Jun 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
In this context I thought you did.
<quoted text>
This.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99154 Jun 5, 2014
Toj wrote:
Tonka --
And?
Toj wrote:
And?
Toj wrote:
So what?

So because his feelings of oppression can never be erased, that means his actions can never be judged as racist? We have a thing called hate crimes. By your logic and his, minorities can never be covicted of a hate crime because they can't be racist since they have lingering feelings of racist oppression.

His whole joke was about him being called out for making racist comments. And his response in nutshell, was that he can't be racist because he can't go back in a time machine and oppress another race. That is a bullshit cop out to try to excuse his own racist jokes. And I say this as someone who is not at all offended by jokes this dude was getting called out on in his premise. If you know anything about Paul Mooney, you know he's built a career on race based humor that makes many white people very uncomfortable, and I think he's brilliant. But I don't try to lie and say his jokes are not racist. They are. I fully acknowledge the double standard.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99155 Jun 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
I love it. I hate those bastards. they go out and ride with the intention of obstructing traffic.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#99157 Jun 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Today we installed a new executive board for our PTO. The outgoing VP made a speech and mentioned that she was a little apprehensive when she first joined the PTO because she "look[s] different from most people in the room" and was pleasantly surprised at how welcoming and inclusive the school community was.
Most of us sat there for a few moments trying to figure out what she was talking about. It dawned on us that she was talking about being African-American in a group of mostly Caucasians and Asian Indians. It never occurred to any of us to treat her differently because of her skin color, but we can't possibly relate to walking through life and always wondering if people are judging you based on your skin color.
See, this is the problem with the Black community -(I refuse to consider them "African American" as I feel that is even more offensive)- she had the attitude going in that "whitey" would be against her. She triumphed over adversity and good for her, maybe she can help spread the message that just because you're black, the world isn't against you, and just because you're white, you're not automatically a racist

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#99158 Jun 5, 2014
RACE wrote:

What a glassbowl!

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#99160 Jun 5, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>See, this is the problem with the Black community -(I refuse to consider them "African American" as I feel that is even more offensive)- she had the attitude going in that "whitey" would be against her. She triumphed over adversity and good for her, maybe she can help spread the message that just because you're black, the world isn't against you, and just because you're white, you're not automatically a racist
She is one of the gentlest, most caring people I have ever met. If she went into a school organization with these apprehensions, you can bet that it comes from past experience.

We, as white Americans, cannot truly understand what it would be to walk in her shoes, nor do the privileged get to tell anyone else how they should feel or react. All we can do is make sure that our actions are ethical and open-hearted, and that we listen to the concerns of those who are more knowledgable and experienced than we.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min VetnorsGate 1,421,407
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Leeward Outlier 222,899
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 21 min Jesse Jackson 61,107
News 3 dead, 22 wounded in Chicago shootings 58 min grounded in reali... 10
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr honeymylove 2,437
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Doug77 9,401
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr texas pete 3,062

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages