Topix Chitown Regulars

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#99118 Jun 4, 2014
By belittling my post, you implied that it was not worthy of discussion, and you did indeed attempt to "Disallow" it. Do I need to draw you a more clear picture? Or are you going to stand on semantics?

I dont hear you telling all the gays to buy cases of preperation H or the blacks for that matter, but both of these groups are very vocal in pointing out paranoid perceived injustices. Why is that?

Sterling abused his power? How so? being bigoted is not an abuse of power, if it was then trailer parks would be the most powerful places on earth and tornado's would shy away from them.

And the lady on the plane did not make a "Heated comment", she made a racial threat. But I find it terrible that you cannot even admit that it was. Instead you try to minimize her words to such a degree that she merely "snapped back" at the attendant. Why cant you admit it was a racist thing to say? How can you defend that it was not?

Slander is spoken, libel is written. And the subtance of my comments was nowhere near libelous.
Tomato/Tomayto

...one person's paranoid, supposition...
Feel picked on much?

Yeah, kinda
Stinky Pinky wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, someone is on his period. I never said you were not "allowed" to do anything. You also should work on your reading comprehension. I never said your hypothetical was wrong, I just said it was worthless. Read my post again. I acknowledged there are inconsistencies in life. That's the way it is. If you're going to get butthurt every time you perceive two somewhat similar situations were treated differently by society, you'd better stock up on Preparation H. Debating a hypothetical like this is worthless because no one can be proven right. There is no correct answer. If you want to debate Sterling versus the lady in question, go ahead, At least you're dealing with two situations that actually happened, and opinions are based on real scenarios instead of one person's paranoid, supposition of what might could have potentially maybe happened if things were different than they were. Sterling was a rich white guy in a position of power who abused that power and made statements that compromised the value of his product and created a hostile environment for his employees and others. The lady on the plane was a nutjob who made a heated comment upon which she did not act. She was arrested, we do not know what for. People can argue about which is worse all day long, but at least they'll be arguing about two things that actually happened.
Oh, and check the definition of slander. I didn't even come close. Slander is spoken, libel is written. And the subtance of my comments was nowhere near libelous. Feel picked on much?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99119 Jun 4, 2014
Stinky Pinky wrote:
Anyone see John Oliver's net neutrality rant? Pretty entertaining no matter which side you're on.
Stop cable company fuckery

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#99120 Jun 4, 2014
RACE wrote:
Thanks for your opinion, but like you, I am also allowed mine. So please grant me the same courtesy I do you.
Just because you do not like when I point out hypocracy does not mean I am not allowed to do so.
The news is all aglow with the statements of Sterling, and I am sorry if you dont agree, but the words of this woman are at least as galling, if not more so, because of the threat of violence. If it think that if the colors were reversed that person would be charged with a hate crime and the fact that this person was not, and cite it as a further example of hypocracy, am I not entitled?
You want to call me small and whiny because I point out "Inconvenient truths" that upset you. How about pointing out how I am wrong in my hypothetical instead of slandering me? You don't because you cant.
And pray tell...
Since when is it small and whiny to point out an injustice....
Oh,Right! when you support the people causing it.
As is so often cited here, if you dont like the post, quit reading, I wont be offended.
<quoted text>
This is an interesting bit of comedy that explains a viewpoint that is very hard to disagree with (at least for me):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/03/aame...

“Where is Tonka?”

#99121 Jun 4, 2014
I cant do video, I have flash turned off, and I'm at work.
But I will take your word for it.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an interesting bit of comedy that explains a viewpoint that is very hard to disagree with (at least for me):

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99122 Jun 4, 2014
Wheelchair student attacked by security

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/vide...

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99123 Jun 4, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I think his act is complete nonsense. It is based on the premise that the only form of racism is institutionalized racism. Personal hate of another race is still racism, regardless of whether there is any societal backing to that hate. A homeless black man has zero power over a rich white man, but if he hates him simply because he is white, he is, by definition, a racist.
Krater

Houston, TX

#99124 Jun 5, 2014
I applaud those Chinese. We need to thank them for creating so many high-quality cheap products. http://ow.ly/xEkfX

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#99125 Jun 5, 2014

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#99126 Jun 5, 2014
Krater wrote:
I applaud those Chinese. We need to thank them for creating so many high-quality cheap products. http://ow.ly/xEkfX
PETSMART TO HALT SALES OF TREATS MADE IN CHINA Associated Press (5-22-14)....

“Where is Tonka?”

#99127 Jun 5, 2014
Who teaches these people how to shoot?
edogxxx wrote:

“Where is Tonka?”

#99128 Jun 5, 2014
The last of the original WindTalkers has gone...
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/original-g...

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#99129 Jun 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
Who teaches these people how to shoot?
<quoted text>
Saw a bumper sticker on a parked car that read: "I miss Chicago."

So I broke a window, stole the radio, shot out two of the tires, and left a note that read "hope this helps!"

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#99130 Jun 5, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I think his act is complete nonsense. It is based on the premise that the only form of racism is institutionalized racism. Personal hate of another race is still racism, regardless of whether there is any societal backing to that hate. A homeless black man has zero power over a rich white man, but if he hates him simply because he is white, he is, by definition, a racist.
I get what you are saying and agree with it BUT I also get where he is coming from. Certain groups have been (and still are) oppressed and when hate is directed at those groups their recourse can be limited or lack strength to combat it.

“Where is Tonka?”

#99131 Jun 5, 2014

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#99133 Jun 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
The last of the original WindTalkers has gone...
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/original-g...
Really liked the film about them....fascinating that their commanders were ordered to never let one be captured by the Japanese, alive.....

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99134 Jun 5, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I get what you are saying and agree with it BUT I also get where he is coming from. Certain groups have been (and still are) oppressed and when hate is directed at those groups their recourse can be limited or lack strength to combat it.
While true, it does not support his claim that there is no such thing as reverse racism. If you get up there and direct your hate to any other race,because of their race, you are, by definition, being racist. History has no bearing on that.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#99135 Jun 5, 2014
I have to replace a ground level basement window which sits about 6" above ground level and is not in a well. Anyone have any input on vinyl, vinyl clad, aluminum clad? The estimators and sales people have been all over the place on this and there is a significant price difference.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#99136 Jun 5, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> While true, it does not support his claim that there is no such thing as reverse racism. If you get up there and direct your hate to any other race,because of their race, you are, by definition, being racist. History has no bearing on that.
I understand that. Do you think perhaps someone needs to tell him his joke should be that white people can't be truly oppressed to the level that black people have been?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#99137 Jun 5, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that. Do you think perhaps someone needs to tell him his joke should be that white people can't be truly oppressed to the level that black people have been?
Racism and oppression are not interchangeable terms.

“Where is Tonka?”

#99138 Jun 5, 2014
Cant you just replace the pane? Why the whole window.
In NY the basement windows opened inwards on a cantilever, Was an easy thing to just remove the entire pane (metal framed), replace the glass and pop back in.

In FL there is no such animal as "basement"
PEllen wrote:
I have to replace a ground level basement window which sits about 6" above ground level and is not in a well. Anyone have any input on vinyl, vinyl clad, aluminum clad? The estimators and sales people have been all over the place on this and there is a significant price difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min Republican Ostrich 63,384
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Coffee Party 237,654
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Henry 1,497,821
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 44 min Patriot AKA Bozo 8,013
Are democrats destroyed? 1 hr Guest 332
Nancy Pelosi (our demented gal). 2 hr NP is FlatOutNuts 4
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Ize Found 71,391

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages