Topix Chitown Regulars

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98969 May 21, 2014
Then you should have written 0k not OK. Totally changes the meaning.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The French phrase is pronounced ( in only a marginally mangled Midwestern French accent) Say see bone.
A kelvin is a unit of temperature measurement in science . It is labeled K, like Celsius is labeled C and Fahrenheit is labeled F 0 K is zero on the Kelvin scale or absolute zero.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98971 May 21, 2014
Aw, Pellen!!!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98972 May 21, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
Aw, Pellen!!!
You started it. It's all your fault. ;)~

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98973 May 21, 2014

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98974 May 21, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You started it. It's all your fault. ;)~
Aw, Stina!!!:-)

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98975 May 21, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
An old friend of mine passed away abuot 2 weeks ago. He was the KING of puns, and his name was Bill, so this gave me a smile.

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#98976 May 21, 2014
Techie question:

I'm going on a cruise next week (yay!). What settings should I change on my phone to prevent accidental ginormous charges while still being able to have it powered on and use the shipboard app (free) and the camera? Voice, text, email, and other data (I have some apps that like to give me random updates) need to be prevented from spontaneously happening. I have AT&T and an iPhone 5 - the older version - if that matters.

TIA!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98977 May 21, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Techie question:
I'm going on a cruise next week (yay!). What settings should I change on my phone to prevent accidental ginormous charges while still being able to have it powered on and use the shipboard app (free) and the camera? Voice, text, email, and other data (I have some apps that like to give me random updates) need to be prevented from spontaneously happening. I have AT&T and an iPhone 5 - the older version - if that matters.
TIA!
I don't know Apple. But if you turn it on airplane mode that will do what you need....except it will disable wifi.

So you need to see if iphone has a way to shut off your mobile data connection(the one you pay the phone company for, not the wifi). I'm pretty sure as long as you don't answer any calls, you won't be charged for it ringing. I don't think it matters for texting.

What ship are you going on with free wifi? Its always been pretty expensive on the ships that i've been on

Hollywood, FL

#98978 May 21, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know Apple. But if you turn it on airplane mode that will do what you need....except it will disable wifi.
So you need to see if iphone has a way to shut off your mobile data connection(the one you pay the phone company for, not the wifi). I'm pretty sure as long as you don't answer any calls, you won't be charged for it ringing. I don't think it matters for texting.
What ship are you going on with free wifi? Its always been pretty expensive on the ships that i've been on
What do you mean it doesn't matter for texting?

NCL Getaway. The wifi in general isn't free, but their app is free. You can get the day's activities and stuff on it, and "text" with other app users on the ship.

Hollywood, FL

#98979 May 21, 2014
AT&T chat person says to turn on airplane mode, support site says I can then turn on Wi-Fi, chat person says I can send & receive texts only from other Apple users via wi-fi. Hmmmm.....

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98980 May 21, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>An old friend of mine passed away abuot 2 weeks ago. He was the KING of puns, and his name was Bill, so this gave me a smile.
I'm sorry for your loss, but glad that thoughts of your friend are making you smile today.

(((Hugs)))

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98981 May 21, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Thanks for thinking of me....I think

So much I could do with this, but

(back of hand to forehead, shoulders back, long distance stare)

My work here is done, today.

(strides purposefully off into the hinterland into the setting sun)

(Theme music swells. Rawhide or Lawrence of Arabia or something)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98982 May 21, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
AT&T chat person says to turn on airplane mode, support site says I can then turn on Wi-Fi, chat person says I can send & receive texts only from other Apple users via wi-fi. Hmmmm.....
All good info.

Up till now, my understanding of airplane mode was that it disconnected all connectivity while turned on. Did not think you could turn any of it back on individually, but I just tried it and it worked.

I turned on airplane mode and it shut off phone service, mobile data, and wifi.

Then tried to make a call. Would not allow it.
Tried to turn mobile data back on. Would not come back on.
Tried to turn wifi back on. It came on and successfully connected.

As for sending and receiving texts with other apple users using wifi, don't think that's gonna work on closed network with no access to apple's servers.

“Where is Tonka?”

#98983 May 21, 2014
Now what in jolley hell does all that mean???
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>All good info.
Up till now, my understanding of airplane mode was that it disconnected all connectivity while turned on. Did not think you could turn any of it back on individually, but I just tried it and it worked.
As for sending and receiving texts with other apple users using wifi, don't think that's gonna work on closed network with no access to apple's servers.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#98984 May 22, 2014

“Where is Tonka?”

#98985 May 22, 2014
This galls me beyond words...
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/9-11-muse...

Hollywood, FL

#98986 May 22, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>All good info.
Perfect. Thanks for testing it for me.
:)

I don't care about texting, I'm not planning on doing any of it during my vacation. I just thought it was interesting that they told me that I would be able to.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98987 May 22, 2014
RACE wrote:
Why? I thought you endorsed dancing on graves?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98989 May 22, 2014
RACE wrote:
Seriously. Why?

Dresden has not been turned into a holy site

“Where is Tonka?”

#98991 May 22, 2014
CHILDREN dancing on graves, not adults and Not at Arlington National Cemetery. Not in the catacombs of a church,

So yeah, I do think some graves are more special than others, sue me!
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Why? I thought you endorsed dancing on graves?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,508,428
Obama has LEAK under sink. 14 min TROY the Plumber 36
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min Dr Guru 239,354
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Raymond 63,546
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 8,066
This doesn't seem fair to me. 6 hr Publishers R Fasc... 9
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 6 hr Halal butcher 2

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages