Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98846 May 16, 2014
Wicklow wrote:
<quoted text>Have they fixed the problems with IE? That's been fairly recent but I know they were telling people not to use it. I have it too but I mostly use Chrome.
I don't know how people put up with Topix if they're not using Adblock!
I was getting freezes and crashes all the time regardless which browser I used.

I just Googled Adblock. The site comes up. It is safe to download- I am almost anal about not putting stuff on my computer. My FF has it as part of the dropdown list under Tools as Adblock Plus once I installed it.

Good move.

FWIW there are some systems, often government official sites that are set to only operate under IE. That was the situation teh last time I was on unemployment. I don't know if that is still true.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98848 May 16, 2014
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ooooo, a visitation.

Opera I have heard of but not maxthon or comodo. Shows what I know.

How are you doing?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98850 May 16, 2014
Wicklow wrote:
<quoted text>I've had Adblock for a long time and found it to be safe, but there are people here on Topix who refuse to download it yet continue to complain about the increasingly invasive ads. You can lead a horse to water...
I got a new laptop less than a year ago but prior to that I was having all sorts of freezes and crashes with Chrome, so I switched back to FF. Then it started happening with FF too. After I got the new computer the problems stopped but I'm starting to get the odd freeze-up with Chrome again. Unfortunately, a lot of people have this problem and Google doesn't seem to be doing much to correct it.
That's interesting about IE and government sites. Even though I rarely use it, for some reason I'm thinking it can mess up Windows if you try to un-install it, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone here knows if that's the case.

I defer to the tech guys but I thought MS had to ( not sure f the right word) un-couple teh operating system from the browser maybe 15 years ago when there was the fuss over Netscape. There was litigation of some sort but didn't pay that much attention because I understood less back then.

My corporate IT guy told me that CNET.com was a reliable resource. You might try posting a question there and see if you get some levelheaded feedback
Steadman

La Grange, IL

#98851 May 16, 2014
Doesn't Opera have enough money without having her own browser?

"YOU GET A BROWSER!! AND YOU GET A BROWSER! EVERYBODY GETS A BROWSER!!!
cheluzal

Tampa, FL

#98852 May 16, 2014
I refuse to use Chrome.
Google has its clutches on your web balls so much. That google+ crap is ridiculous!

I don't use it. My niece put some google+ thing on my mom's computer and my mom sees MY friends in her list, and I don't use it! Explain that. It is so freaking weird and Google is suckling Big Brother's teet.

Avoid.

Also, duck duck go is a search engine that doesn't track.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#98853 May 16, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
I refuse to use Chrome.
Google has its clutches on your web balls so much. That google+ crap is ridiculous!
I don't use it. My niece put some google+ thing on my mom's computer and my mom sees MY friends in her list, and I don't use it! Explain that. It is so freaking weird and Google is suckling Big Brother's teet.
Avoid.
And here I am posting from my nexus Google phone using Google chrome. Wish I'd gotten the memo sooner!

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98854 May 16, 2014
I have a chrome book, has a huge memory, but you cant do anything unless your are in the cloud, and there aint no way RACE is doing the cloud.
But I really dont care what it tracks, I only use it as a browser (and that is FF). I just leave it plugged in and its convient for searching or chatting here.
I dont care if its hacked, or whatever, as it has no pwds or files I could wipe it and loose nothing.
(mimi shrug)
cheluzal wrote:
I refuse to use Chrome.
Avoid.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98855 May 16, 2014
Greetings from the ER.

Sister Morphine is a saint.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“Where is Tonka?”

#98856 May 16, 2014
Yanno, sometimes you're kinda erotic...
cheluzal wrote:
I refuse to use Chrome.
Google has its clutches on your web balls so much.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98857 May 16, 2014
Wicklow wrote:
<quoted text>I've had Adblock for a long time and found it to be safe, but there are people here on Topix who refuse to download it yet continue to complain about the increasingly invasive ads. You can lead a horse to water...
I got a new laptop less than a year ago but prior to that I was having all sorts of freezes and crashes with Chrome, so I switched back to FF. Then it started happening with FF too. After I got the new computer the problems stopped but I'm starting to get the odd freeze-up with Chrome again. Unfortunately, a lot of people have this problem and Google doesn't seem to be doing much to correct it.
That's interesting about IE and government sites. Even though I rarely use it, for some reason I'm thinking it can mess up Windows if you try to un-install it, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone here knows if that's the case.
You can't uninstall it. But you can install any other browser you want and set it as the default

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98858 May 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Greetings from the ER.
Sister Morphine is a saint.
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
For real? What happened?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98859 May 16, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> For real? What happened?
Excruciating pain is what happened. But Sister Morphine made it allllll right.

Turns out I got a kidney stone.

“Where is Tonka?”

#98860 May 16, 2014
thats gonna hurt.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Excruciating pain is what happened. But Sister Morphine made it allllll right.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98861 May 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Excruciating pain is what happened. But Sister Morphine made it allllll right.
Okay, you get maximum macho points for posting on Topix under morphine in the ER

My husband has had that. No fun.

I had a kidney infection as a teenager. I also had one of my kids unintentionally without anesthesia. Labor and delivery was easier.

They may make you pee in a jug through a little screen in a funnel to collect any extras for 24 hours. If you are lucky they will be calcium stones and you can cut back on milk and cheese. It has not interfered with husbands consumption of pizza in the long run, though.

Sometimes they are not calcium though.

Feel better Don't post anything stupid.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98862 May 16, 2014
Someone needs to email this to Sublime.

http://lifehacker.com/5854053/how-to-stop-car...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98863 May 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Someone needs to email this to Sublime.
http://lifehacker.com/5854053/how-to-stop-car...
Okay. It is now official that the stone is not the only thing you passed today.
Done.

Since: May 14

Streamwood, IL

#98864 May 17, 2014
im here

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#98865 May 17, 2014
I'm okay with this as long as the man isn't on the hook for child support

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/brea...

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#98866 May 17, 2014
gear915 wrote:
im here
oh good. I'm there

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#98867 May 17, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Dam dude. Cut back on your calcium intake. What's it like to pzz a rock? I really don't want to know first-hand

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min John Galt 1,641,815
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 23 min hfcv 64,119
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr heiscommunist 243,000
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr RACE 11,535
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 4 hr RACE 3,739
Trickle Down and Tax returns 6 hr H R Bloke 1
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 12 hr Amazing Skulduggery 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages