Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#98813 May 15, 2014
greenwichvillage wrote:
<quoted text>
They just released v29. it changed so much, although I didn't notice a bookmark problem. I went back to v28 and restored back to that, then turned off automatic updates. Got really perturbed at the new version. It took the weather forecaster away that I had on an add on bar on the bottom. Everything came back the way I had it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-...
The bookmark thing might be operator error on my part. Sigh.

Thanks for the link. I may downgrade if I get frustrated enough.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98814 May 15, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
The bookmark thing might be operator error on my part. Sigh.
Thanks for the link. I may downgrade if I get frustrated enough.
I don't understand Firefox or what it is.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98815 May 15, 2014
It's the web browser thats better than IE
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>

“Where is Tonka?”

#98816 May 15, 2014
I have had no problems since I turned off flash player. Seeing some of those adds out of the corner of my eye was giving me headaches.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks so much....was almost at the point of calling Geek Squad...lol....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#98817 May 15, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a web browser. Did your spaceship just arrive from planet Clueless yesterday?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98818 May 15, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Microsoft makes Internet Explorer
Mozilla makes Firefox
Google makes Chrome

They are all web browsers, where Windows is an operating system for PC's

They all fill the same function.
Internet Explorer tends to be slower and probably because it is a MS product has been targeted by hackers more than eh others.
Firefox and Chrome are free

I use Firefox and I am pretty satisfied. I am also not at all tech savvy. Ignore Dog on this, he's being snooty and you asked a straightforward question.

Just Google the names and the intro pages and set up will appear. Your bookmarks and favorites will be automatically transferred from one to another if you choose to download. You can take it off your computer and go back if you don't like it.

My computer came with IE and I still have it on so there is room for 2 browsers on most computers

All will work on a PC. Apple has its own operating system and web browser

“Where is Tonka?”

#98819 May 15, 2014
Ha! I am stealing this.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your spaceship just arrive from planet Clueless yesterday?

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98821 May 15, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Microsoft makes Internet Explorer
Mozilla makes Firefox
Google makes Chrome
They are all web browsers, where Windows is an operating system for PC's
They all fill the same function.
Internet Explorer tends to be slower and probably because it is a MS product has been targeted by hackers more than eh others.
Firefox and Chrome are free
I use Firefox and I am pretty satisfied. I am also not at all tech savvy. Ignore Dog on this, he's being snooty and you asked a straightforward question.
Just Google the names and the intro pages and set up will appear. Your bookmarks and favorites will be automatically transferred from one to another if you choose to download. You can take it off your computer and go back if you don't like it.
My computer came with IE and I still have it on so there is room for 2 browsers on most computers
All will work on a PC. Apple has its own operating system and web browser
Thank you! I heard about Firefox when it came out (here, I think), but then when I went to upload it it looked strange and I am always wary of stuff like that so I didn't do it. My IE is really slow at home. I wonder if I should change then. Then should I keep IE and just use the others. And will it screw up my computer.

I am on the computer all day at work without a break, so I don't go on the laptop too much when I am home so I don't really stay up on things. I have IT guys at work to handle my stuff here!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98822 May 15, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a web browser. Did your spaceship just arrive from planet Clueless yesterday?
Pbbbbbt!!!! I use what they give me at work and forgot what FF was since i rarely use my computer at home. My life isn't the internet! So, pbbbbbbt.:-)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98824 May 15, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the guy who, until recently, was clueless on how to save a photo from favebook.
ScarletandOlive

Maplewood, NJ

#98825 May 15, 2014
Darn, let's try to get around the censors again...

Replace glassbowls with the profanity that it rhymes with (thank you Carolyn Hax) and write out the whole last word (dbags is just an abbreviation)

http://www.mandatory.com/2013/03/25/glassbowl...

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98826 May 15, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Do you get mad when we call you jammie wowie???

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#98827 May 15, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Says the guy who, until recently, was clueless on how to save a photo from favebook.
Says the guy who's clueless about auto-correct. And knowing about firefox and knowing the intricacies of maneuvering through software are completely different things

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98829 May 15, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the guy who's clueless about auto-correct.
WTF are you babbling about?

edogxxx wrote:
And knowing about firefox and knowing the intricacies of maneuvering through software are completely different things
Right. Knowing how to perform a function that has been standard in all browsers from the very start is much more understandable than not knowing about a browser that you don't use.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98830 May 15, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>My oldest has some dyslexia. The reading lab teacher suggested Archie comic books as a way to get her interested and keep her interested in reading until she gained the skills and strategies to compensate.
It seems to have worked.
We have a lot of them in a box in my husband's office/room
Son was sitting in the living room reading a book. He has several volumes of The Captain Underpants books and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Just asked him how many he has left that he has not read. None. He has gotten to the point where he's re-reading them. I went upstairs and pulled my box of old Archie comics out of the office closet. Now he's sitting there reading that.
:)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98831 May 15, 2014
Also told him I was not GIVING them to him. They're still mine. Told him why.

So he would not be able to lord it over his brother when he got to the point where he would want to read them too. They belong to dad, and both have equal permission to read MY comics.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98832 May 15, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Son was sitting in the living room reading a book. He has several volumes of The Captain Underpants books and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Just asked him how many he has left that he has not read. None. He has gotten to the point where he's re-reading them. I went upstairs and pulled my box of old Archie comics out of the office closet. Now he's sitting there reading that.
That is AWESOME!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#98833 May 15, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> WTF are you babbling about?
Dude, you have like five misspellings in every sentence. Sorry to be the one to point that out
Mister Tonka wrote:
Knowing how to perform a function that has been standard in all browsers from the very start is much more understandable than not knowing about a browser that you don't use.
Says the guy with a backlog of Archie comic books. Shouldn't you have uploaded those to your kindle and transferred them to your son's ipad after linking it from your iphone through your smart-car's navigational system by now?

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#98834 May 15, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you get mad when we call you jammie wowie???
Haha! No.. But I might get mad if you did it in front of my co-workers.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98835 May 15, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! I heard about Firefox when it came out (here, I think), but then when I went to upload it it looked strange and I am always wary of stuff like that so I didn't do it. My IE is really slow at home. I wonder if I should change then. Then should I keep IE and just use the others. And will it screw up my computer.
I am on the computer all day at work without a break, so I don't go on the laptop too much when I am home so I don't really stay up on things. I have IT guys at work to handle my stuff here!
My recommendation is that you download Firefox and try it out for a while. Don't remove IE. Your laptop should be able to accommodate both browsers. Play around in FF's Getting Started pages. They have security and privacy stuff you may want. They may have a "nanny filter" that would accommodate your daughter. I have Adblocker. which keeps out a lot of the stuff which slows down your computer which is how this discussion got started I think.

Tonka is the one I usually rely on for tech stuff. My husband is unable to give me a straight answer on how to do something so I can do it myself the next time. he just takes over. I want to bop him but I just ask Tonka instead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min ester povington 1,482,935
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min District 1 234,454
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 44 min tbirds_friend 62,980
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 46 min Ize Found 71,319
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr GEORGIA 3,546
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr SweLL GirL 10,098
Cong. John Lewis is a worthless black dem. hack... 3 hr Guest 22

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages